Become a Patron!

First time builder. Rtda or rda?

walshfx

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone, been vaping for a few months now on a smoke procolour/big baby beast with asorted coils from .15 to .4 ohms in their recommended wattages, I prime coils and a that and while it does what I want i dont seem to enjoy the flavour like everyone talks about. Its there but its dull. So i want to get into the rebuildables. Thats as much as I know as this point, id love advice on what the pros/cons are and what people think are better, easier and last longer out of rda or rtdas. Are they temp control or wattage? Also I have a voopoo drag on its way too. Thanks in adcance people

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Temp or wattage simply depends on your coil material- kanthal & nichrome for watts only, nickel for temp only, stainless steel does both.
I am still confused about what differentiates an RDTA from an RTA, but it seems like RDTA has the deck above the tank & an RTA has the deck inside a chimney which sits within the tank. Using this understanding, I personally prefer RDTA because the coils are usually closer to your mouth, delivering RDA-type flavor. You can also keep an eye on your coils & cotton and change out your cotton & dry burn the gunk off your coils without disassembling the unit or removing it from the mod, although it can be tricky to dangle the wick ends through the wicking holes.
If you're planning to be putting it in your pocket or jostling it about, RTA is probably better to avoid leaking out the top, but if you can keep it upright, RDTA is no problem.
Easy enough to change the wick on your RTA by closing AFC & JFC, inverting it and unscrewing the tank (even with a bit of liquid in it) but it always makes me uneasy- I have an Engine mini which tends to seep e-liquid into the air chamber.

Best flavor is RDA and if you get a squonk setup it's the best of both worlds.
Advice for newbies: try all new atties on a mod that has no board (unregulated), or one where the board is placed opposite the 510 connector (like the Livepor Yosta or any squonk mod). I am having an awful time with a Kylin POS that leaks through the 510 pin, which I beta tested on my Yosta. All I had to worry about was sticky batteries instead of a burnt-out mod board.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Totally get an RDTA. Treat it like an RDA first, focus on making a good, solid build with no hot spots and even-glowing coils, and using just enough wicking. You can drip on an RDTA until you're comfortable wicking it up to use the tank portion!

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I find RDAs to be easier to work with. Wicking in RDTAs can be troublesome in my experience. I don’t use my RDTAs anymore.

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Or try starting with a top air rta....eliminates the biggest beginner risc: leaking

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I use rtas, But you will get better flavor from a rdta. The BBB has an easy rba head, have you considered just building it? Flavor is a so much better. I didn't use drop ins with my BBB, just the rba.

walshfx

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So an RDA is the best flavour but if over wicked will spit and leak and also has to be wicked often so its kind of a stay at home option. An RTA will substitute some flavour for a juice tank, An RTDA has me confused? Thanks for the replies by the way, i really appriciate it.

walshfx

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, som
I use rtas, But you will get better flavor from a rdta. The BBB has an easy rba head, have you considered just building it? Flavor is a so much better. I didn't use drop ins with my BBB, just the rba.[/QUOTE
I use rtas, But you will get better flavor from a rdta. The BBB has an easy rba head, have you considered just building it? Flavor is a so much better. I didn't use drop ins with my BBB, just the rba.

Whats the difference between the two?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
RDTA rebuildable dripping atomizer; deck is above the tank. Youtube IJoy Limitless for an example. RDA has no tank, just a well. You will have to drip juice onto your wick/coil every few hits. Flavor is good with proper coil placement and decent air flow.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For me, a decent RDA gives better flavor than any other type of atomizer if the coil build, the wicks, the watts, and the airflow adjustment are all done right. There is a learning curve, especially the advanced coil building part takes firm dedication/patience, and, obviously, dripping takes a little extra effort, but still IMO the pros outweigh the cons... a LOT.

walshfx

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I might have to try a few different ones to see what suits me best. Thats the beauty of living in Australia, the ciggerettes are so exspensive (40 dollars per pack) so its the same as a new tank or 2 packs is the same as a new mod, so irs easy to justify new mods/tanks/coils haha

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I have a Goon RDA and a Goon RDTA, a Mad Dog RDA and a Mad Dog RDTA, a Cheetah 2 RDA and a Crius RDTA. The RDAs have the same build decks as the RDTAs. The RDAs have the same builds as the RDTAs. The only difference I can see is I don't have to drip on the RDTAs. The flavor and clouds are the same. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

VU Sponsors