Become a Patron!

First time doing eliquids at home, tastes like alcohol

Hi guys! Yesterday I tried to make eliquid at home. I've bought a pack of DIY with VG, PG and some flavours. I've used a 70/30 mixture without nicotine. For the flavours, I used a blackcurrent one that recommended the concentration of 15-25%. I used 23%.

First of all, I think my math is correct, however if someone could see if it is actually corret, that would be nice:

VG - 70% --> 16,17 ml
PG - 30% --> 6,93 ml
Flavour - 23% --> 6,9 ml

And the target was making 30ml of eliquid at the end.

I mixed the liquid by shaking it and I tried it. Most of the hits I've taken tasted like something weird, the closest thing I can remember is alchool, but not vodka or something like that, like ethilic alcohol. Is this normal? What can I do to avoid that?

Thanks!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It might be an alcohol based flavor. Or just the way that flavor tastes at first. Try letting it sit with the cap off for a few hours to let any alcohol evaporate, and then cap it and leave it in a cupboard for a week, then try it again. It might be better mixed with other flavors, maybe a cream or something to soften it and smooth it out, but first see if it will come around on its own with a little airing out and sitting in the dark.

Last edited:

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've not used blackcurrant of any brand, but 23% seems awful high to me from what I've read. What brand do you have? If it's Flavorart, most people use 2-3% in recipes and 3-4% as a single flavor just for example.

Without knowing which company's flavors you have, we can't help a lot.

Last edited:

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I will try to shake it better and let it open for a few hours, thanks.

In the bottle it said between 15% and 25%. I wanted a strong taste, so I went with 23%. The brand is from diyeliquids.co.uk, they came with the pack I bought on amazon.

I hear you. I've never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything. I learn of new flavors practically every day.

What I'd do is let it sit for a couple of days and try it again. If it's still funky, mix up 30ml of plain pg/vg base and add it to what you have now. Dilute the original mix and see how it does.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I will try to shake it better and let it open for a few hours, thanks.

In the bottle it said between 15% and 25%. I wanted a strong taste, so I went with 23%. The brand is from diyeliquids.co.uk, they came with the pack I bought on amazon.
Is it a short fill or a concentrate? I personally wouldn't do anything to the mix for at least a week. I usually wait 2 weeks myself. Not all fruits are quick steepers.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
This is from their website:

"This is a PG Based Flavour Concentrates for E-Liquid DIY Dilute, 10%-20% depending on your Flavour strength and taste.
Not to be vaped neat! These are E-Liquid flavour concentrates and are for making your own e-liquids. Usage ratio will vary depending how you like to mix your e-liquids.
For example, if mixing high VG based E-Liquids you may need 20% of flavour as VG dosage not carry flavour as well as PG which carries the flavour better."

I think you mixed the % too high. I would start lower (even if you like strong flavors) and definitely steep for at least a week. It should taste better then

This is from their website:

"This is a PG Based Flavour Concentrates for E-Liquid DIY Dilute, 10%-20% depending on your Flavour strength and taste.
Not to be vaped neat! These are E-Liquid flavour concentrates and are for making your own e-liquids. Usage ratio will vary depending how you like to mix your e-liquids.
For example, if mixing high VG based E-Liquids you may need 20% of flavour as VG dosage not carry flavour as well as PG which carries the flavour better."

I think you mixed the % too high. I would start lower (even if you like strong flavors) and definitely steep for at least a week. It should taste better then

Where did you see that? In the bottle itself it says recommended concentration 15-25%, but I will try to do another one. Well, it was my first time doing it, I will most likely get all the tricks with the time.

I hear you. I've never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything. I learn of new flavors practically every day.

What I'd do is let it sit for a couple of days and try it again. If it's still funky, mix up 30ml of plain pg/vg base and add it to what you have now. Dilute the original mix and see how it does.

I will wait, thanks!
Is it a short fill or a concentrate? I personally wouldn't do anything to the mix for at least a week. I usually wait 2 weeks myself. Not all fruits are quick steepers.

It's a concentrate, I don't know what is a short fill.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Trying single flavors and hoping they're good is hit or miss. I reccomend finding flavors or recipes with good feedback from Chef's Flavours in the UK. They sell brands most DIYers have heard of and use. They may even have one shots, I'm not sure. It's a good store.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Where did you see that? In the bottle itself it says recommended concentration 15-25%, but I will try to do another one. Well, it was my first time doing it, I will most likely get all the tricks with the time.

I will wait, thanks!

It's a concentrate, I don't know what is a short fill.
Your link led me to a short fill product. All you add is nic. to short fills.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make small batches until you find the percentage that is right for you... like 5ml batches.
You can also take 2.5ml from your first attempt and dilute it with 2.5ml pg/vg. Thats an 11.5% flavor concentration, closer? Still too strong? Too weak now? That may be a quick way to find your mix for that flavor.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors