Become a Patron!

Flavor ghosti

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok guys I have searched the web, cleaned my tanks with warm water and vodka soaks, dry burned my coils, even replaced them, but I still smell the old flavor in them. Am I just not vaping the new flavor long enough? Will that eventually go away?

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What's the old flavor you're trying to wash away?

I would imagine cola, anything citrus, licorice, root beer, cinnamon may not wash away so easy

vaping one day at a time

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am even having a hard time with the strawberry banana thought maybe I just wasnt putting up with the bad taste long enough

mrsdeli

Member For 5 Years
Its been my experience that you cannot completely do away with the old flavor by rinsing. At least I have never been able to. I resolved this by going from like flavor to like flavor. So strawberry bannana to strawberry cupcake, to vanilla cupcake etc.... Might be a good idea to color code your tanks. Say have one color for fruits, one color for bakery style. Most of my juices are very similar so they blend well anyway. Good luck!!

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A thing I have been trying out lately is just using plain VG and running that in the wick till I don't taste anything for a bit then changing flavors so far so good but still experimenting with it.

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didnt realize that I didnt post a response I typed the other day about the flavors. I am , also trying to clean out a bkueberry, rootbeer. Spearmint and big red flavor. I figured the last two would be near impossible. I did change the coils, bought little jewelry bags and put the old wick in there and labled which tank it was for and what flavor so I didnt waste the coils that were not used up yst, after I cleaned them and let them air dry. I liked the idea of using similar flavors. I just received some strawberry vanilla cake and sfrawberry milkshake. So ki will try that too, and of course I will use my currant strawberry banana one anto try the new companies with those flavors. I have to admit I was hoping u guys would tell me to vape them longer and gkve them more time! Thanks again and if anyone else has suggestions keep em coming!

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about just getting yourself some wicking material, and just change the wick when you switch flavors.
That what I do, and it's cheap .. like how much is a bag of cotton balls ??
Changing the wick is easy even if you don't know how to rebuild.
Just pull the old wick, fire the mod in spurts, burning the gunk off the coils, and rewick it...done
Do some research on the different materials used, pick one that appeals to you and you'll be in business.
Besides, it's fun

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about just getting yourself some wicking material, and just change the wick when

Ooops, just re-read you first post ...are you saying that the actual "tank" is picking up the flavor (not the wick)
That could be a problem...try soaking them in soda water.
Soda will kill smells and food residue (that's why people place a box of baking soda in the frig)

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I do want to learn to rebuild sounds easy enough! But yes the tanks are still funky

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ooops, just re-read you first post ...are you saying that the actual "tank" is picking up the flavor (not the wick)
That could be a problem...try soaking them in soda water.
Soda will kill smells and food residue (that's why people place a box of baking soda in the frig)
great idea,,, I rebuild but I wish I would have known this when I was using clearomizers and kanger tanks

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Will definitely try the soda water. Thank you!

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of tank are you using?
It's been my experience that ANY plastic/polycarb tank will retain previous flavors and odors.
Pyrex or quartz tanks don't have that problem. I've switched over entirely- IBTanked.com sells some killer carto tanks that I use with my mods and I go wih mini Protank 3's for my eGo style batteries.
A good rinse with warm water and they are good as new. And no cracking with certain juice (ie. Cinnamon, banana and some citrus flavors)
Another downside to plastic is that some of them can leech chemicals into your liquid.
Not cool.
Good luck

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, I had not heard that one yet! I have a rAnge of tanks, from the Nautilus, the aerotank mega, several 30s from I clear, several regular protank3 and mini pro tank 3. Havent tried to clean nautilus or aerotank yet, they are both pretty new. But its the others

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Damwow you pose really good questions here and due to there being so many variables there is not just a single answer or solution. Generally plastic tanks will prove the hardest to clean completely. The porous nature of the material make them much harder to clean out and I agree with ghost62 in that some of them are known to leech chems as well (still very hard to avoid). And to make things worse, there are some juices that are MUCH harder to clean out of your equipment, The Flavors themselves are just so fragrant that it seems like you will never completely remove it .. Cinnamon comes to mind, however there are also vendor juices such as Halo that have to use flavor enhancers and such that make cleaning tanks (glass or plastic) a nightmare. Even the glass bottles that the juice comes in seem to be really hard to clean to the point where you can't smell the old juice. I have found myself wondering if I'm better off doing the best I can to clean stuff out and dealing with the old flavor or risk vaping remnants of a strong cleaner just used to get rid of the old smell/taste. The only other alternative is to allocate tanks to certain juice flavors which can become unwieldy after a while .. Sure wish I had a better answer for us all .. lol

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok guys I have searched the web, cleaned my tanks with warm water and vodka soaks, dry burned my coils, even replaced them, but I still smell the old flavor in them. Am I just not vaping the new flavor long enough? Will that eventually go away?
What type of tanks are you speaking of? This changes things in how to rid yourself of this nastiness

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I mostly use a KFL+ with an aftermarket quartz tank.

In additon to being able to see the exact level of my E-Liquid, I don't have to worry about tank crackers. And even after using a cinnamon liquid, I can rinse it clean, change the wick and the previous taste is completely GONE

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, I had not heard that one yet! I have a rAnge of tanks, from the Nautilus, the aerotank mega, several 30s from I clear, several regular protank3 and mini pro tank 3. Havent tried to clean nautilus or aerotank yet, they are both pretty new. But its the others
These were the ones I was asking about

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Isn't the KFL a rebuildable one Uncle RJ

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Isn't the KFL a rebuildable one Uncle RJ

Yep it is. But what I said about a glass tank an fresh wick can be found in a lot of the plug and play tanks.

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oooooh I see. I really do want to learn to rebuild though, just wish I had someone in front of me to help, not just a video.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Oooooh I see. I really do want to learn to rebuild though, just wish I had someone in front of me to help, not just a video.

This is the video that was the most help to me.

I did my first build following these instructions exactly and it came out perfect after a couple of tries.

I am having the remnants of an old flavor in one of our tanks and it contaminates the flavor of new e liquid, one of my wife's favorite flavors when I first got her into vaping was rootbeer and after a while we I think we might have gotten a bad bottle because she couldn't Vape it after the last bottle we picked up, it didn't taste like the other bottles and had a bad aftertaste even with brand new atomizer and brand new tank.

After we got the bad bottle that tasted real bad even with a good hot water cleaning and changing the atomizer head and then filling with a different flavor which was bananas foster which is now her favorite Vape, anyway after I really cleaned the tank good and replaced the atomizer I filled it with the bananas foster and at first it was good but within a few minutes the old rootbeer started coming through in the banana e liquid and it wasnt a good taste. So I emptied the tank disassembled it completely, it's a kangertech ProTank II all glass and stainless steel and can be completely disassembled for cleaning, so no plastic for old flavor to soak into. So disassembled completely and washed several times and everything the rootbeer still comes through into the banana stuff..

I've tried even really hot water with dish soap and washing several times consecutively and everything else I can think of and no matter what I do or how many times I disassemble and clean and reassemble and fill the tank eventually the old rootbeer flavor starts to taint the bananas foster flavor so what the hell is going on I mean there's nothing in or on the tank that should have let the old flavor seep into it? The last time I did the whole ritual I noticed the drip tip alone had a slight scent of rootbeer so I swapped it out with a new one as well as brand new atomizer head and it did last a bit longer before the rootbeer started coming through which was about an hour, but it did come back again, I don't want to toss a nice tank in the trash, I mean it's a nice tank and I've upgraded the base and all that stuff so it's not a standard off the shelf tank anymore, so can someone please tell me how hell to get this damn taste out of my tank?

Thanks
Bill

What type of tanks are you speaking of? This changes things in how to rid yourself of this nastiness
The tank I'm having a problem with a an old liquid coming back and contaminating the taste of any liquid I put in it is a Kangertech ProTank II with upgraded airflow control base and new atomizer heads the rootbeer taste still seeps into the taste of the new liquids flavor no mater how much of an extreme cleaning method I've tried with scalding hot water and dish soap soaks and that damn nasty rootbeer taste keeps coming through and ruining the taste of the new liquids please help

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The tank I'm having a problem with a an old liquid coming back and contaminating the taste of any liquid I put in it is a Kangertech ProTank II with upgraded airflow control base and new atomizer heads the rootbeer taste still seeps into the taste of the new liquids flavor no mater how much of an extreme cleaning method I've tried with scalding hot water and dish soap soaks and that damn nasty rootbeer taste keeps coming through and ruining the taste of the new liquids please help
Had a similar issue with a nasty cherry a long time ago in mine. Alcohol soak, nope. Efferdent tabs, a little better. Soaked in baking soda and water, then vinegar (not at the same time) and it did much better. It was somewhat present, still, but way better. If you try any of these, be SURE to rinse it really, really well.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best thing I've found is CHEAP mouthwash, the blue or green stuff. For some reason, it works better than the name brands.
Soak everything for about five minutes then rinse in warm water and let it all air dry.
Even gets out the flavor of Mad Mudock's Radiator Pluid and that stuff is harder to get rid of than old luggage...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any silicone gaskets will have absorbed the flavor - since the flavor can't linger in glass, try changing out all the gaskets/orings. Like Huck, I've also soaked in baking soda (make a thick paste) with some success - but even that will never rid O rings of some flavors.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get
Kerosene best medicine ever made or jet fuel same stuff that will clean ya out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks all, sense I posted this I haven't been on much, but I have gone to building and using RDA's and the new sub tanks!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had a similar issue with a nasty cherry a long time ago in mine. Alcohol soak, nope. Efferdent tabs, a little better. Soaked in baking soda and water, then vinegar (not at the same time) and it did much better. It was somewhat present, still, but way better. If you try any of these, be SURE to rinse it really, really well.
Ultrasonic cleaning in vodka for 30 minutes. Take the tank completely apart. It works, I've used it to get nasty coffee vapes out of my tanks.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ultrasonic cleaning in vodka for 30 minutes. Take the tank completely apart. It works, I've used it to get nasty coffee vapes out of my tanks.

That's still an expensive clean!

I tried baking soda in the UC once - my UC still shows marks from where the baking soda took off the shiny finish!

VU Sponsors