Become a Patron!

Flavor sensitivity, your thoughts please

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looking for some general input here. As I'm having issues with a few Flavors I actually like in foods and such.

I just recently tried marshmallow, at 1 drop per 30ml of juice. And it's very close to overpowering the entire mix. But it's a pleasant taste overall. I'm thinking maybe 2 drops per 90ml may be on the money for me.

Is anyone else this sensitive to certain Flavors? I really want to try the peach I have. But it literally taste like lighter fluid at .25% in a mix.

I'm considering 1 or 2 drops per 30ml of juice. Just to test the theory that I may be hyper sensitive to it.

Your thoughts?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sure, it's possible! There aren't many that I'm that sensitive to, but definitely some. Why not make yourself a dilution of those flavors so you can use them more freely? I do that with a few. Easier to work with that way, than to have only one way to mix them up. That way you can mix them in anything you want, not just a 30ml of that flavor.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people are "super tasters," as we call them. That can be good for DIY of course, because you don't need to use a lot of flavoring. But it can also be bad in that it's harder to make recipe adjustments to suit your tastes.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What brand of peach? Some take weeks of steep to taste right!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am not a big peach fan and don't use it much but try it after it steeps some. Everyone picks up different flavor tones it might be that peach just isn't for you but again try it after a steep.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah I have flavor sensitivities to quite a few flavorings - dang taste buds. :eek: And I am in no mood to dilute every flavoring I have so some will just not be used.;)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am not a big peach fan and don't use it much but try it after it steeps some. Everyone picks up different flavor tones it might be that peach just isn't for you but again try it after a steep.

Well, it's not just peach. It's also Bilberry and Pear.

I can vape Blueberry (extra) at 3%, if I do it immediately. But once it steeps for a week, it starts to taste like soap :/

One drop of Pear, totally takes over any recipe.

I have a Blueberry Custard juice I purchased when I thought I would run out on the road, that was really good. But now that it's steeped a couple of weeks. All I can taste is the Bilberry.

I'm going to give this one more try, at drastically reduced %. Set some aside for testing over a month or so. And see how it goes.

Thank all of you that chimed in.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is my 8th Peach Cream beta.
I think it's pretty good...

Sweet Cream (TFA) 2%
Bavarian Cream (TFA) 1% (or FA Catalan Cream)
Vanilla Swirl (TFA) 4%
White Peach (FA) 2%
Peach (INW) 3%

FA White Peach is a little sharp but mixing it w/ the Inawera Peach was night and day. For me, that was the secret.
The 2 peaches are like sisters for me now. Seriously, mix 'em together... it's huge.

The TFA Vanilla Swirl is what finally brought it together for me.
In previous iterations, my vanilla/cream base was varying percentages of FA Vanilla Classic, FA and TFA Vienna Creams, FA Bavarian Cream, & FA Catalan Cream. They were pretty good too but the TFA Vanilla Swirl was better IMO.

TFA's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is close to (and can be subbed for) the Vanilla Swirl but I can feel the 'dicetyl wheeze' more.
It's fine as a shake & vape but does benefit from a few hours in the crock pot.
I have yet to make a batch big enough... or survive long enough to be called steeped.

I think this is delicious, It's actually designed (for lack of a better word) to be an MTL juice.

I'll give it a try lol I'm game for anything at this point. Just to get some Peach flavored juice I can live with.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some, I get seriously bad headaches from certain scents in the wild.
If it is Gardenia based I get an instant migraine even at distance, along with my sinuses slamming shut.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I
Well, it's not just peach. It's also Bilberry and Pear.

I can vape Blueberry (extra) at 3%, if I do it immediately. But once it steeps for a week, it starts to taste like soap :/

One drop of Pear, totally takes over any recipe.

I have a Blueberry Custard juice I purchased when I thought I would run out on the road, that was really good. But now that it's steeped a couple of weeks. All I can taste is the Bilberry.

I'm going to give this one more try, at drastically reduced %. Set some aside for testing over a month or so. And see how it goes.

Thank all of you that chimed in.

I have had complete hell with bilberry in my quest for the perfect blueberry. If you are like me then you've read the raving reviews of FA's bilberry and ordered some thinking this was going to be it. I finally just got a mix where it doesn't taste awful (1.5%). Don't give up!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I

I have had complete hell with bilberry in my quest for the perfect blueberry. If you are like me then you've read the raving reviews of FA's bilberry and ordered some thinking this was going to be it. I finally just got a mix where it doesn't taste awful (1.5%). Don't give up!
I've often used that at 0.5% and still find it strong. Don't give up, it's an excellent flavor. Pairs nicely with other fruits.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only two flavors that truly make me sick as all get out Spearmint and M-Type Tobacco the later I truly start puking in my mouth if I even smell it

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll give it a try lol I'm game for anything at this point. Just to get some Peach flavored juice I can live with.

Have you tried any CAP Peaches & Cream yet?

Sounds like you just need to adjust your percents way down.

Some of the other flavor brands are a bit weaker than FA so you may be able to use even less.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried any CAP Peaches & Cream yet?

Sounds like you just need to adjust your percents way down.

Some of the other flavor brands are a bit weaker than FA so you may be able to use even less.

I'm measuring in drops (or partial drops) per 30ml now. I've tried at .25%, even that's too strong. What I will probably wind up doing, is getting a few 120ml bottle. And add drops until the flavor gets where I want it, after steeping. Then adjust everything else accordingly.

I've had some successes with this method in the past.

I'll also give the Peaches & Cream a try.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love Bilberry, but anything over .5% turns into syrup.

I actually vaped a mix yesterday, that was like that lol It was actually quiet good. It was a banana/bilberry mix. But that syrupy hit turned me off.

Oddly enough, the banana seemed to tame the Bilberry. I have no clue what the % were. But I suspect the Banana was really high.

VU Sponsors