Become a Patron!

Flavor west +5 shots tips

punkonjunk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey so, I got a bunch of supplies to start doing DIY. as I started digging into it more, it's not clear if I need to heat treat, steep, etc.

I picked up, from flavor west, banana, coconut, butter cream, and coconut cream pie, to tinker with making something I used to custom order from them:
Banana: 7 parts
Coconut:6 parts
Bavarian cream 2 parts
butter cream 2 parts
graham cracker 3 parts
5 extra shots, extra of each flavor

I skipped graham cracker, but I figured I'd wing it with the flavor west stuff and start dialing it in. (I waited too long, also, I have roughly 40ml of MBV wholesale jug left)

It sounds like banana+coconut = no steep, shave and vape. If I start adding in bavarian cream, butter cream, etc, I'm going to need a week or so?

How necessary is the crock pot? Does heat treatment expedite the steeping process, or is it more mailard reaction for caramelization?

If anyone has any tips on cloning what MBV called +5 shots with flavorwest (and eventually, others) I'd appreciate it. I've always been pretty picky and after tinkering with custom orders from MBV, I found the one thing I've been vaping for 2 years now, so it's gonna be rough at first, dialing it back in, but then should be better when I can start really playing with it, maybe trying things that aren't banana and coconut mixed together.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I used to get maybe 1-2 flavor shots from FW but was using a Vivi Nova top coil at that time.
Newer equipment today really doesn't need that extra flavoring IMO.

MBV uses mostly Flavor West (FW) flavors.
You can get them from most anywhere, I use Bull City & ECX.

I don't bother using heat anymore.
Unless your trying to rush a Custard vape, time works better I think anyway.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How necessary is the crock pot? Does heat treatment expedite the steeping process, or is it more mailard reaction for caramelization?

If anyone has any tips on cloning what MBV called +5 shots with flavorwest (and eventually, others) I'd appreciate it.

Heat is not a friend of juice. I don't and won't be using a crock pot to make juice. Others feel differently and you may wish to plug "crock pot" into the Forum's search box above.

Instead of what MBV made for ya, you may wish to consider Squonk's recent recipe...

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/banana-coconut-custard.302045/

I would;)

Ron
---
"The best is yet to come and won't that be fine."- Frank Sinatra

punkonjunk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, and I did look at that recipe! However, his flavor manufacturer isn't something I have available, so based on other recipes, I went with 10% each of FW banana and coconut, and that tastes excellent already. I will be looking into INW and other highly concentrated flavors.

I also slapped something together by smell, came out to 7% banana 7% coconut 3% bavarian cream 2% butter cream, that tastes OK now, but probably needs some time in the closet.

Searching crock pot seemed to provide a lot of different opinions, but it seems like it's helpful for expediting creams and custards, sometimes. I think it comes down to taste, and I'll play around with different methods. I cast stuff keycaps and controller buttons in resin and am a hobbyist chef, so constant tinkering/experimentation is most of my life.

My original question got a little muddied with the lack of sleep and scattershot questions - I was wondering if anyone else had ordered +5 shots exclusively from MBV, liking the extra flavor, and how that went for them coming over to DIY, and additionally, I was wondering if anyone had made something similar to what I'd described (which that custard flavor looks very close to.)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
liking the extra flavor, and how that went for them coming over to DIY

Worked out way better for me switching to DIY as I could venture into others recipes, besides my own.
I started with MBV like 3 years ago, and moved on pretty quickly.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The general consensus of heat steeping is not to do it. Some people do it for tobacco or custards as mentioned previously... But overall, it's not a good method in most people's experiences, including mine.
Unfortunately the best steep is a time steep... Just let it set. Fruits typically don't need much (if any) steep time but if/when you add creams, it can increase the steep time slightly. Even so, you're still looking at maybe a week? That's not too bad.

VU Sponsors