Flavoring gone bad???

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive been making my own liquid for a while now and this has never happened before. It was completely inconceivable when this mess started, but now Im pretty sure I know whats going on.

I made two mixes of paulys sweet cookies from a month to two months ago. Both were great, I was very happy with them. So happy that I posted the recipe so others could enjoy it.

I ran out last week and wanted to make some more. I used the same exact recipe, same nic, same vg, and same steep method.

I thought it would be just fine. I tasted it after a couple days and was like 'WTF is that funk?" There is an underlying funk I cant put my finger on. First I blamed my vg, then I blamed my nic. Now, after extensive testing of all brands of vg I have, with varying levels of nic, I found nothing remotely close to that gross taste. This narrowed it down to flavorings.

Tonight I was whipping up some mixes and tasting them. The only one that tastes funky is the one with FA Cookie in it. Tomorrow I will do a standalone and see if this is the real cause.

Ive wasted too much money and juice figuring this out, Im kinda getting sick of it. Could my FA Cookie have gone bad? Has this happened to any of you?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey Pauly. My cookie flavor, no, but I recently made a mix using Torrone. I've made it before, liked it, hadn't had it in a while. I whipped some up, later went to load it up and it was FUNK-EE. I've only used it a couple times, but always got good results, so I'm assuming it's gone bad. The Torrone was the only one I hadn't used in a bit.

Also, having purchased 5 or 6 flavorings a while back from a vendor... I thought maybe I just didn't care for these flavors, tried mixing with them many times. I re-ordered ONE of them, from a different vendor, tried it in a mix and liked it fine. I'm going to re-order each of those in a small sample, this time, and see if it's just bad flavoring I got hold of. wllmc sent me a sample of one of his specialty flavors in my last order. It contains a flavoring I thought I didn't care for. This mix was really good!

Yep, long story, stayed long story, I think they can, in time, go bad. But I would think they'd last at least a year. But a year from... yeah.

wildcoy73

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would storing in the fridge help?
Looking for info before I make a large order. Fur multi flavor recipes

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right, a year from ????xxxx???? But yea, its not 'punch you in the face' strong, its just an underlying 'yuck' that only occurs in my cookie flavors.
Im gonna do some standalones today and see for certain.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Standalone made. FA cookie @ 7% I can smell the funk.
Another thing ive seen is a think layer of froth that just sits on top of the liquid. I steep in little custard dishes so its easy to see. This morning I looked at six different mixes, two of which had this flavor in it, both had a thin layer of froth at the top.
Im tossing it in the trash and ordering some more.
What a shame, its such a good flavor.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe in the summer. The closet I keep my supplies in is only a couple degrees off the outside temp. The landlord has really half assed this house and my closet is very poorly insulated.
So my flavors have been cold for the last few months.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ive been making my own liquid for a while now and this has never happened before. It was completely inconceivable when this mess started, but now Im pretty sure I know whats going on.

I made two mixes of paulys sweet cookies from a month to two months ago. Both were great, I was very happy with them. So happy that I posted the recipe so others could enjoy it.

I ran out last week and wanted to make some more. I used the same exact recipe, same nic, same vg, and same steep method.

I thought it would be just fine. I tasted it after a couple days and was like 'WTF is that funk?" There is an underlying funk I cant put my finger on. First I blamed my vg, then I blamed my nic. Now, after extensive testing of all brands of vg I have, with varying levels of nic, I found nothing remotely close to that gross taste. This narrowed it down to flavorings.

Tonight I was whipping up some mixes and tasting them. The only one that tastes funky is the one with FA Cookie in it. Tomorrow I will do a standalone and see if this is the real cause.

Ive wasted too much money and juice figuring this out, Im kinda getting sick of it. Could my FA Cookie have gone bad? Has this happened to any of you?
Speaking of the FA cookie I ordered some couple months ago and it was nasty tasted like it had gone bad. You know how the chinese juice taste like old and nasty this had the same taste. Sorta like real old nic and pg.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Cookie at 7% ? I've never used it over 3, and that was crazy strong. My usual is 1.5 to 2%, depending on what it's in.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A bunch of my flavors purchased a year ago (stored in my kitchen) have lost their 'oomph.' And, yes, some of them give me a slightly funky flavor. It can get very hot in my kitchen, so I'm assuming that and time is the problem! I've never used cookie, though, at 7% either:eek:

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its much lower in my actual mixes (between 2 and 4%). I wanted to bump it up for the standalone. Normally my total flavoring for FA only mixes is between 6 and 8, total when adding cap custard is 9-11, and even more for my cap sweet strawberry mixes.

I mixed it that high so it would be blindingly apparent if something was off, and it certainly seems to be.
But no, this not normally how I mix.

Along with the cookie standalone, I whipped up a vanilla custard, cherry pie (mamajs specialty flavor), FA brandy standalone, and strawberry cream (fa creams, caps sweet strawberry). No funk in any, except the ones with the cookie.

It was so good, when it was good. I need to get some fresh stuff.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You know what, It was almost time to get more anyways. I only had like 1ml left, so its not like I lost alot.
It gives me an excuse to give wllmc some business.:)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

I wouldnt store flavorings or juice in a fridge.. condensation can ruin all that..
as well as heat..

I keep my flavorings in plastic shoe boxes, packed in styrofoam boxes..
this way i dont have a flood of flavor smells and it stays at a normal temperature..
I still have flavoring from 2 years ago, and they have yet to go bad on me.

VU Sponsors