Become a Patron!

Flavourart Lemon Sicily has lost potency

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been diy'ng for about a year, mainly copying other' recipes, and rarely creating my own. I don't have long term experience with flavors. I have about 120 different flavors, about 80 of them FA, and i have been very happy by and large with my purchases, both in terms of the flavors themselves, and the different variety of liquids that could be produced using my flavors, a third of which i haven't even used yet.

I opened my bottle of Lemon Sicily to mix one of HIC's recipes that i like a lot, but hadn't mixed for a couple of months. Noticed it doesn't smell as potent right of the bat, but thought maybe i'm getting sick or my sense of smell is a bit off today. Mixed the recipe and could barely taste the lemon. Note, this is not a case of the lemon fading after a long steep which i've heard is common with citruses, it tasted weak right after mixing.

Is this normal in your experience ? Are there other flavors prone to losing potency after a year ? I'm getting worried that i wasted money by buying so many flavors in the beginning of my diy journey. Like i said before, i haven't even used 30 or 40 of my flavors at all.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
All flavors have a shelf life, generally 12-18 months from date of manufacture. I have flavors that have lasted far longer and flavors that fell far short. A lot of variables can affect shelf-life. I'd pick up a fresh bottle of Lemon Sicily in a size that doesn't exceed what you can use in a year or so.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The only flavor bottles (I have) that have dates are Hangsen. My Vanilla and Austrian Chocolate were born...hold on I'll just take a pic-
0320181822.jpg
I know the exp. date is just a guess, but I like it on there. I kinda wish all my bottles had born on, or even "date bought" for rebottled, so I had something to go by. I might just start marking on them with a fine point sharpie.

I think brighter citrus like lemon fades faster than most flavors.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is this normal in your experience ? Are there other flavors prone to losing potency after a year ?

FA Lemon Sicily ? Not so much in a sealed bottle but certainly in a mix. I get quite a bit of flavor fade in around 14 days. Does not matter if single flavor or in a mix. If I am to age a mix, I don't add this FA until I'm just about ready to start vaping it.

FA Espresso starts fading for me after 30 days mixed. It's still good...just not as good.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All flavors have a shelf life, generally 12-18 months from date of manufacture. I have flavors that have lasted far longer and flavors that fell far short. A lot of variables can affect shelf-life. I'd pick up a fresh bottle of Lemon Sicily in a size that doesn't exceed what you can use in a year or so.
Makes sense then to just buy flavors that you want to use specifically for a recipe, and not just because you think its a good flavor to have, or others have raved about it.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have been diy'ng for about a year, mainly copying other' recipes, and rarely creating my own. I don't have long term experience with flavors. I have about 120 different flavors, about 80 of them FA, and i have been very happy by and large with my purchases, both in terms of the flavors themselves, and the different variety of liquids that could be produced using my flavors, a third of which i haven't even used yet.

I opened my bottle of Lemon Sicily to mix one of HIC's recipes that i like a lot, but hadn't mixed for a couple of months. Noticed it doesn't smell as potent right of the bat, but thought maybe i'm getting sick or my sense of smell is a bit off today. Mixed the recipe and could barely taste the lemon. Note, this is not a case of the lemon fading after a long steep which i've heard is common with citruses, it tasted weak right after mixing.

Is this normal in your experience ? Are there other flavors prone to losing potency after a year ? I'm getting worried that i wasted money by buying so many flavors in the beginning of my diy journey. Like i said before, i haven't even used 30 or 40 of my flavors at all.
I noticed I can only get about 9 - 12 months out of it. Also it separates like cray cray so I gotta shake the shit out of it every time I use it (like I do with all flavorings) but LS is especially bad in that regard.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FE Lemon is a great substitute for Lemon Sicily. It doesn't fade as quickly and tastes just as good.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lemongrass holds it own....!

Best lemon I've found.

VU Sponsors