Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/31/us/jetblue-flight-fire/

Flight diverted when lithium battery catches fire onboard
By Eric Levenson, Aaron Cooper and Paul P. Murphy, CNN

Updated 4:24 PM ET, Wed May 31, 2017

170531160310-jetblue-flight-battery-exlarge-169.jpg

Grand Rapids Ford Airport released this photo of the lithium battery that caught fire in a passenger's backpack aboard a JetBlue flight.
Story highlights
  • No one was injured in the incident, officials said
  • "I was really scared," one passenger said
(CNN)A lithium battery in a passenger's backpack caught fire aboard a cross-country JetBlue flight Tuesday, causing the plane to divert to Grand Rapids, Michigan, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

No one was injured on the flight, which was traveling from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to San Francisco, and the plane was not damaged. JetBlue said the plane was carrying 158 people and 37,300 pounds of fuel when it landed.
The lithium battery began to smolder inside a passenger's backpack, according to an incident report.
A passenger on the plane, 18-year-old Kailey Honniball, said that about two and a half hours into the flight she heard a message over the PA system: "Sounds like fire in 25!"
She looked back and saw smoke.
"I was really scared," Honniball said. "When you see a fire on the plane and you're in the air, there's nothing you can do."
Flight attendants grabbed the backpack, put it in a rear aircraft lavatory and closed the door, the incident report states. This apparently stopped the battery from overheating.
The backpack had two burned holes and one of the lithium batteries was charred, according to the incident report. Firefighters met the plane at the gate and took the charred backpack and battery off the flight.
170531160558-jetblue-flight-battery-2-exlarge-169.jpg

This lithium battery caught fire in a passenger's backpack aboard the JetBlue flight.
About three hours later, the aircraft was back in the air and on its way to San Francisco.
"(The crew) handled it pretty professionally," Honniball said. "They kept calm."
Grand Rapids Ford Airport spokeswoman Tara Hernandez confirmed that a lithium battery started smoldering, but said it was not a laptop battery. There was a laptop in the bag with it, she said.
There is no sign that the fire was intentionally started. An airport investigation with multiple parties is underway.
Last year, Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 phones were banned from all flights after the company discovered that its lithium-ion batteries were faulty and could overheat and catch fire.
Spurred by fears of terrorism, the US government in March banned laptops in the passenger cabin on international flights from airports across the Middle East and North Africa. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly has said the ban might expand to all international flights entering or leaving the US.
CNN's Cheri Mossburg contributed to this report.

This dude really left his batteries in a charger like that in his backpack. SMH how hard is it to put them in a plastic case with some tape around it?

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw this on the news.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow now that is a dum thing to do they did not show the picture earlier on the news I was watching, Wonder what brand of Battery.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Flight attendants grabbed the backpack, put it in a rear aircraft lavatory and closed the door, the incident report states. This apparently stopped the battery from overheating.

FLUSH THE BATTERIES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eggen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
when the FAA inevitably bans mods and batteries I will be mailing alot of gear home from wherever I fly to. Atleast I will have an excuse to buy alot of new stuff :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ReyesRec89

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And this is exactly the kind of stupidity that gives vapers everywhere a bad rep. A few dumbass apples ruins the bunch as always smh. Vapeing has been around for how long? Has that guy not heard about battery cases?

Last edited:

Eggen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe they just make rules about batteries being in plastic cases or original packaging and not mounted in hardware. That would not be too difficult.
that would make alot more sense but logic seems to escape most that make policies.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
when the FAA inevitably bans mods and batteries I will be mailing alot of gear home from wherever I fly to. Atleast I will have an excuse to buy alot of new stuff :)

And this is exactly the kind of stupidity that gives vapers everywhere a bad rep. A few dumbass apples ruins the bunch as always smh. Vapeing has been around for how long? Has that guy not heard about battery cases?
I have had a feeling it's headed the way of the past , being able to bring vape gear on carry ons....they are thinking of banning anything bigger than a cell phone, yet those are at risk of blowing bats as well, but you think they will ban those??? I doubt that, what would the pilots and flight attendants do with out theirs (sarchasm)

VU Sponsors