Become a Patron!

For anyone who's tried Wayne's recipes?

Cloudbursting

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've made 4 of them so far - the Orange Cream, Tobacco, Fried Ice Cream, and Strawberry Milk.

The Orange Cream came out as "ok, I see the direction" but the rest have been crap (with the Tobacco, it was hard to tell because of steeping.)

BUT I just whipped up the Strawberry Milk and it tastes like puke, and the Fried Ice Cream tastes like re-puke.

I'm measuring using weight, and I have my VG set at 1.2, PG at 1, and flavorings at 1. The ratios are really there regardless. I'm very precise when measuring.

Do they simply need to steep? Have you got good results from any of these? I haven't in terms of shake'n'vapes at all.

I was just at the Vape Shop trying out some E-Liquids, and I tried a delicious line called TearDrip. There was a Caramel Pear flavor, and to my tongue, it tasted as though it was packed with either a burnt-sugar caramel or RY4, with a simple, candy pear. There was really only two distinct flavors, but those flavors were crystal clear with a tremendously sweet moisture to the liquid, which I assume may be sucralose. It had that moist flavor of candy, like a wet lollipop, and lollipops aren't too complex, just sweet and clear-cut.

I'm starting to think that so much of DIY is based on flavors that must do well with Protanks because on drippers, any recipe I whip up has a neutral dryness (like, imagine Vape Wild) and no matter how complex the recipe, it's either puke or just so muddled that it tastes like crap anyway. It could be simply the steeping process, I'm going to let these two batches above sit for 3-4 days as recommended, but I don't see them changing *that* much.

The "style" of dripper e-liquids has come so far, and in so many juices I sample, I sense such a sweetness, a moisture, and a clear-cut "style" - not so much of complexity, but rather "strength" in what is there, the authenticity of candy or food rather than what old-school vapes try for, and again, a sweetness that I associate with ice-cream topping syrup (again, I assume sucralose) rather than powdered sugar (which is at best sort of what other sweeteners have done for my batches.) There's a certain result that I'm just not getting with any of my DIY and I just don't know what it is.

I just know that the LOWEST standard you should expect with DIY is Vape Wild standard, and I am not even getting that. And that's low IMO. Some of these should really be decent straight out the bottle. I haven't found one yet. I even tried my hand at the Cuttwood clone, and got close, but without a certain ingredient (butter cream) things weren't as tied as they should be and the flavor went akward. Idk what gives. But that one has been the closest to anything vapeable for me.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow. While I have no idea who this 'Wayne' fellow is, he certainly seems to have raised your ire.

From what you wrote, it sounds as if you're not so much seeking 'strength' as 'depth.' I hope you are browsing the Recipes section here at VU. Most are followed by the experience of others who have actually mixed and vaped them. The DIY section is loaded with information from experienced mixers. Not me; I've been vaping a while but still learning every day about crafting my own e-liquids.

Above all, have fun. Oh, and stay away from tobacco. I hear it's really bad stuff. :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
PG in drippers is evil.
Subjective taste, I have noticed from years ago even different regions of this great country varies greatly. What is considered top of the line and go to is just puke and re puke (in your own words).
I mean I have tried several of those lines and flavors that most of the reviewers rant and rave about, just seem to fall seriously short. Might be a mental thing of I actually spent money on this stuff.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Cloudbursting it would sure help to know what brands and what percentages for each recipe - could you maybe post that info? If they use any creams/custards then yes they may need a steep and that also depends on brands used. o_O

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wayne Walker normally posts recommended steep times for all his mixes and is pretty specific about which brands of flavorings he uses in his recipes. Sometimes it's just a matter of personal taste as far as what's good and bad. I haven't tried any of the ones you listed, but I've made volumes of his Clapton Crunch. That one is a hit with me, as well as a couple of friends. I didn't personally care for Blackout or Bronuts, but that was just a matter of taste, they certainly aren't bad. Rhodonite is pretty good too. Anxious to try the Funfetti Cake, just haven't done it yet.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Are you sure your bases and nic aren't funky tasting on their own? I hear rave reviews about his mixes.

talonz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've made 4 of them so far - the Orange Cream, Tobacco, Fried Ice Cream, and Strawberry Milk.

The Orange Cream came out as "ok, I see the direction" but the rest have been crap (with the Tobacco, it was hard to tell because of steeping.)

BUT I just whipped up the Strawberry Milk and it tastes like puke, and the Fried Ice Cream tastes like re-puke.

I'm measuring using weight, and I have my VG set at 1.2, PG at 1, and flavorings at 1. The ratios are really there regardless. I'm very precise when measuring.

Do they simply need to steep? Have you got good results from any of these? I haven't in terms of shake'n'vapes at all.

I was just at the Vape Shop trying out some E-Liquids, and I tried a delicious line called TearDrip. There was a Caramel Pear flavor, and to my tongue, it tasted as though it was packed with either a burnt-sugar caramel or RY4, with a simple, candy pear. There was really only two distinct flavors, but those flavors were crystal clear with a tremendously sweet moisture to the liquid, which I assume may be sucralose. It had that moist flavor of candy, like a wet lollipop, and lollipops aren't too complex, just sweet and clear-cut.

I'm starting to think that so much of DIY is based on flavors that must do well with Protanks because on drippers, any recipe I whip up has a neutral dryness (like, imagine Vape Wild) and no matter how complex the recipe, it's either puke or just so muddled that it tastes like crap anyway. It could be simply the steeping process, I'm going to let these two batches above sit for 3-4 days as recommended, but I don't see them changing *that* much.

The "style" of dripper e-liquids has come so far, and in so many juices I sample, I sense such a sweetness, a moisture, and a clear-cut "style" - not so much of complexity, but rather "strength" in what is there, the authenticity of candy or food rather than what old-school vapes try for, and again, a sweetness that I associate with ice-cream topping syrup (again, I assume sucralose) rather than powdered sugar (which is at best sort of what other sweeteners have done for my batches.) There's a certain result that I'm just not getting with any of my DIY and I just don't know what it is.

I just know that the LOWEST standard you should expect with DIY is Vape Wild standard, and I am not even getting that. And that's low IMO. Some of these should really be decent straight out the bottle. I haven't found one yet. I even tried my hand at the Cuttwood clone, and got close, but without a certain ingredient (butter cream) things weren't as tied as they should be and the flavor went akward. Idk what gives. But that one has been the closest to anything vapeable for me.
Doesn't matter how precise you are with measuring if your weights are incorrect. The two weights you mentioned are incorrect right off the bat so what are you weighing in your flavors at? It's not just ratios. A single drop in 30 mL can make a difference.

As to your dripper, it can make a huge difference depending on what you're drippin on. You certainly can't get good results dripping certain flavors on top of a mech mod where you're unable to control w/v to avoid burning. Idk what you have going on there. @Teresa P is my resident knowledge source on DIY tasting with a dripper.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honey is perfect for "getting back" at people, especially TFA. I like several honey blends. Wife doesn't want me to vape them in the house...
If there's one drop in a 30ml bottle, I can taste it. :confused:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made one awhile back called Monkey Farts. Someone else's recipe, but it called for %5 honey. 5% honey???? I made it anyway, thought maybe the guy knew what he was talking about or maybe the other flavors in the mix changed it some way. Gave it to a girl at work who was always harassing me about making her some juice. About a week later she told me she was sorry, but had to pour it down the drain, tasted like dammit and stank so bad her husband made her vape it outside. :D

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a couple of recipes with the black honey tobacco that don't smell foul, but it's not a primary ingredient.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mixed up the Bronuts last week.So far I'm kicking my ass for making this. It will teach me not to go along with the masses. :) J/K
If you really want to piss off someone vape Flavorwest Honeywood tobacco. It really does smell like cat urine.
I didn't care for the bronuts either, or the blackout - but I got spoiled with HIC's homevape peanut butter, so any other peanut butter vape pales in comparison. ;)

wayne.walkerr

Member For 4 Years
@Cloudbursting Hey man, sorry you're not enjoying those recipes :( I don't want to assume you're doing anything wrong but none of them should be tasting like puke. There's lots of people who tell me how much they enjoy them, as well as my own palate, but maybe you're sensitive to cream flavors?

@Artemis A lot of people have been having problems with CAP Chocolate Glazed Doughnut saying it is way too harsh. I stopped recommending people make that recipe because of how inconsistent that flavoring is. Some people say it tastes too chocolatey, some some too bready, some say tastes like grease, it goes on and on. What you should be getting is a very full and vibrant Doughnut flavor with a sugary sweet chocolate glaze on top...pretty much exactly like a chocolate glazed doughnut. But again, you can't count on the quality of it because of that one ingredient. There's an entire thread about it somewhere. Sorry you weren't a fan =/ Oh and many people who like bronuts but think it's needs a little smoothing out, drop CGD by 1% and add in 2% of TFA Bavarian Cream.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Cloudbursting also, all my mixes are made for dripping. I don't use anything but RDA's, Plumeveil and Derringer to be exact. And I usually push 40-50W at 0.4ohm. I try and make really full and vibrant flavors specifically for the way I vape which is long deep pulls.
Wayne, thanks for replying, and yes, good info. With that said, would you suggest reducing/increasing for people that are simple tank kinda vapers?

dannydestroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey Wayne and Huckleberries I've heard good things about inawera chocolate. Wondering if that might help the mix. I thought the recipe was pretty spot on. I felt like it could use something. It was surprising how much it did taste like a donut.

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
I saw a Wayne DIY or Die video......He recommends that most recipes should steep for 2 to 3 weeks.....Natural Steep......I think the title of that Video is called: WHY DO MY E-LIQUID MIXES SUCK.....or something like that

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bronuts is pretty good, maybe not a ADV for me but enjoyable. SVBICC is on it's 4th version so far, been tweeking it to get it right for my palate. The original recipe smells awesome but vaping it is just off. I do like the flavor profile of SVBICC but so far haven't found the right %'s to get a better blend. Boardwalk is pretty tasty, gonna tweak it a little but it is good.

I have never mixed up one of Wayne's recipes and thought puke but I have only tried 3 so far. I want to mix Clapton Crunch but don't have TFA Berry Crunch and not sure it that's something I would use for anything else.

Last edited:

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did try his sugar bear clone once. I didn't like it at first as a shake and vape, but after a week it was not bad. I like Wayne's videos. Anyone who is willing to be helpful to the community and share their knowledge is A+ in my book. We all have different palates though and what one person likes another may not. I haven't tried any other of his recipes but mainly because I'm always short one or two flavors of course.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also likes Wayne's website and he is doing some great stuff and really helping out. Besides the recipes there is a lot of good info on there and when I have more time plan on listening to the interviews he has done via his podcast.

Keep up the work Wayne, it really is a great resource for the DIY community and is much appreciated.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've only tried Bronuts and I had to lower the percentages slightly.
As for a puke flavor... I get that with certain dairy-like flavors (cream, milk, etc) For instance, if I use TFA Sweet Cream at anything about 1% it's putrid. Even Greek Yogurt above 6% does the same thing. Unfortunately you have to find out for yourself what percentages work for you and adjust to your palate. That takes time to figure out.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought cereal milks was really good. Initially when I mixed it the AP was overpowering. I let it sit overnight and needless to say the rest of that 15ml was gone by the end of the day.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like that one too, plus Clapton Crunch:D.
Mixing another one tonight. Going to try the Strawberry yogurt one too as I have all the ingredients. I'm interested to see how the sweetening notes work out as I just mixed a yogurt without so I've got something to compare to.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mixing another one tonight. Going to try the Strawberry yogurt one too as I have all the ingredients. I'm interested to see how the sweetening notes work out as I just mixed a yogurt without so I've got something to compare to.

I used the Yogurt base in that one but subbed out the Strawberry with 5% CAP Peaches & Cream, quite good.
Made a second version without the EM and it was kind-of tart, preferred the one with EM myself but I only used 0.5% instead of 1%.
Might try it with 1% EM someday.
Think I've made it with Blueberry too.
Blackberry is next:D.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used the Yogurt base in that one but subbed out the Strawberry with 5% CAP Peaches & Cream, quite good.
Made a second version without the EM and it was kind-of tart, preferred the one with EM myself but I only used 0.5% instead of 1%.
Might try it with 1% EM someday.
Think I've made it with Blueberry too.
Blackberry is next:D.
Same Here! I plan on trying it (if it's in line with my taste) with blackberry, blueberry and raspberry. The strawberry combo in his recipe is my go to for strawberry flavor.

VU Sponsors