Become a Patron!

forced flooding for flavor

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does anybody ever need to force flood to get flavor? By force flooding I mean closing the air control off and hitting it real hard to pull liquid through the cotton. I am using a limitless lux dual 26650 on 130w 99% of the time with a tfv8-q4 coil (more flavor than the t8 to me, I get none from that one) and you have to hit it pretty hard with the air control wide open to get any flavor. I prime it really good when I change coils, it just seems dry and hot after 2.23 seconds. Always big clouds just not always big flavor. I've experimented with lower power and less airflow but that seems to make it worse. I did find a sweet spot with the air control and power at 90w but it didn't last for more than 2 or 3 times. The q4 is rated 50-180w and best at 90-150w. It may have to do with using double fudge, it took 1 tank of bubblegum and 5 tanks of blueberry cream to completely get rid of the chocolate taste. The cotton still looks good, a very very small section of the coil is black, I run a q-tip around in there once a day to clean it. The q4 usually lasts me about 9-10 days of 10-12 ml a day during the work week and about 20 ml a day on the weekend.

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You may want to learn how to build your own coils, save a ton of money, and create the flavor you want.

I seriously thought about it. I did try building the RBA that comes with the tfv8 tank, it looked good but I'm not sure if I fluffed the cotton too much or if I just had too much to begin with. I couldn't screw the sleeve onto the deck without it touching the cotton and it kept saying shorted.

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some of those premade coils wick slow, especially with high VG, have you tried poking holes in the cotton with a needle?

I haven't tried poking holes in it but it may be the juice. I had only ever had house juice from the BM that is 4 minutes from the house until we ate dinner out of town yesterday and I got house juice from them. Their juice tastes a lot richer and seems to be pretty thin compared to what I had from the 1st BM. The thinner juice from the 2nd BM is a LOT cheaper than the one by my house and tastes better. It is an option though, it is 40 miles away versus the other one being 3 miles away.

EDIT: The thicker juice from the BM close to my house is advertised to be 70vg/30pg.

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thinner Jooze is
Probably a TANK Jooze meaning
50-50pg
60-40pg
TANK JOOZE

ANYTHING over that ratio is considered
RDA/DRIPPER jooze..
70-30pg
75-25
80-20
85-15
90-10
100 vg based these are all thicker juice....

I

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Does anybody ever need to force flood to get flavor? By force flooding I mean closing the air control off and hitting it real hard to pull liquid through the cotton. I am using a limitless lux dual 26650 on 130w 99% of the time with a tfv8-q4 coil (more flavor than the t8 to me, I get none from that one) and you have to hit it pretty hard with the air control wide open to get any flavor. I prime it really good when I change coils, it just seems dry and hot after 2.23 seconds. Always big clouds just not always big flavor. I've experimented with lower power and less airflow but that seems to make it worse. I did find a sweet spot with the air control and power at 90w but it didn't last for more than 2 or 3 times. The q4 is rated 50-180w and best at 90-150w. It may have to do with using double fudge, it took 1 tank of bubblegum and 5 tanks of blueberry cream to completely get rid of the chocolate taste. The cotton still looks good, a very very small section of the coil is black, I run a q-tip around in there once a day to clean it. The q4 usually lasts me about 9-10 days of 10-12 ml a day during the work week and about 20 ml a day on the weekend.
First... IGNORE what it is "rated" at. Start at lower power, work your way up.
Next you have big clouds OR big flavor, never both. You can find a middle of the road, but it is exactly that ... middle of the road.
Lower airflow and smaller bore tip and lower power for flavor. Large bore tip, high air flow, higher power for clouds. If you are going dry and getting hot after 2.23 seconds, your power is way to high. Figure 3 to 6 seconds for an avg pull, 2 or 3 pulls at a time.
Next, you are using premade coils on a tank atomizer. Your BEST flavor and cloud will come from a custom made coil in an RDA. Straight coil for cloud, fancy coils for flavor.
Some flavors predominate others and linger.. peppermint, licorice and from what you say, chocolate. Use a separate tank or separate coils for flavors like these. With a rebuild-able, you just swap out the old cotton for new.. costs maybe 3 cents worth of cotton.
BTW.. i find, when building coils, the larger the inner diameter of the coil, the better flavor (more wick, more juice, more flavor) *also more cloud* but it has to fit your atomizer. Im using a 4.0mm id (dual coil) now. Flavor is great, with fairly big clouds. (im using a twistedmesses rda... more of a flavor atomizer than say a mutatonX *which will also give great flavor if set up for it*)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I seriously thought about it. I did try building the RBA that comes with the tfv8 tank, it looked good but I'm not sure if I fluffed the cotton too much or if I just had too much to begin with. I couldn't screw the sleeve onto the deck without it touching the cotton and it kept saying shorted.
Here is a thread that I created for the TFV8 tanks and the RBA wicking. This may help.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smok-big-baby-beast-baby-beast-rba-wicking-technique.300259/

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This thinner Jooze is
Probably a TANK Jooze meaning
50-50pg
60-40pg
TANK JOOZE

ANYTHING over that ratio is considered
RDA/DRIPPER jooze..
70-30pg
75-25
80-20
85-15
90-10
100 vg based these are all thicker juice....

I
That's good to know, the guy at the B&M said 70/30 is the best all around juice and it is their default on custom and pre-made house juice unless somebody asks for something different. The more I read on VU and ask questions the more I realize the local guys mean well and are always happy to help but they don't as much as they think they do.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's good to know, the guy at the B&M said 70/30 is the best all around juice and it is their default on custom and pre-made house juice unless somebody asks for something different. The more I read on VU and ask questions the more I realize the local guys mean well and are always happy to help but they don't as much as they think they do.

A lot of them don't vape... bunch of kidz trying to pretend they know shit.... it's true 70/30 is the best all around FLAVOR WISE...efficiency wise, 70/30 is kinda thick for tanks especially CLEAROS...if you RTA you could use 70/30pg though, you just have to know what ur doing...

I

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First... IGNORE what it is "rated" at. Start at lower power, work your way up.
Next you have big clouds OR big flavor, never both. You can find a middle of the road, but it is exactly that ... middle of the road.
Lower airflow and smaller bore tip and lower power for flavor. Large bore tip, high air flow, higher power for clouds. If you are going dry and getting hot after 2.23 seconds, your power is way to high. Figure 3 to 6 seconds for an avg pull, 2 or 3 pulls at a time.
Next, you are using premade coils on a tank atomizer. Your BEST flavor and cloud will come from a custom made coil in an RDA. Straight coil for cloud, fancy coils for flavor.
Some flavors predominate others and linger.. peppermint, licorice and from what you say, chocolate. Use a separate tank or separate coils for flavors like these. With a rebuild-able, you just swap out the old cotton for new.. costs maybe 3 cents worth of cotton.
BTW.. i find, when building coils, the larger the inner diameter of the coil, the better flavor (more wick, more juice, more flavor) *also more cloud* but it has to fit your atomizer. Im using a 4.0mm id (dual coil) now. Flavor is great, with fairly big clouds. (im using a twistedmesses rda... more of a flavor atomizer than say a mutatonX *which will also give great flavor if set up for it*)
Clouds are nice and I do enjoy seeing them but I would rather have the flavor. I will probably use the tfv8 for now, get one of the RDAs you mentioned, use both until I am comfortable with only building my own and get rid of the SMOK. You gave some good tips and I appreciate it.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Get yourself a decent squonker set up and you can have it all...

Get prebuilt coils that will last for months and flavor/clouds for days

All the flavor of a dripper, but the convenience of a tank

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Clouds are nice and I do enjoy seeing them but I would rather have the flavor. I will probably use the tfv8 for now, get one of the RDAs you mentioned, use both until I am comfortable with only building my own and get rid of the SMOK. You gave some good tips and I appreciate it.
tfv8 is a good tank. So I hear. RDAs are mostly for flavor chasers or cloud chasers. Everyday vapers are quite happy with tanks like the tfv8.
Im "that guy" you see eating chicken wings and dunking them in a bowl of Tabasco sauce.. lol. The more i get, the better I like it. LOL.

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get yourself a decent squonker set up and you can have it all...

Get prebuilt coils that will last for months and flavor/clouds for days

All the flavor of a dripper, but the convenience of a tank
Lots of options, I wish I would have heard of this place before I started vaping.

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
tfv8 is a good tank. So I hear. RDAs are mostly for flavor chasers or cloud chasers. Everyday vapers are quite happy with tanks like the tfv8.
Im "that guy" you see eating chicken wings and dunking them in a bowl of Tabasco sauce.. lol. The more i get, the better I like it. LOL.
That is how I am too, lol. I am/was happy with it but nothing is ever enough and I can't leave anything alone. I got 3 different mods my first week vaping. Started with the vpark tc70, then got the coolfire iv tc100 and decided it didn't make enough power and the built in 3300mah battery didn't last long enough so I got the lux I have now.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Lots of options, I wish I would have heard of this place before I started vaping.

Yes there are so many options out there - it can make it pretty confusing when you are starting out

At least you started with a decent tank

VU Sponsors