Become a Patron!

Formulas for calculating coils

I want to make my own application for calculation of the colis. Is there somewhere all the necessary formulas for calculations? Without them, I do not know where to start:(

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have no idea but I wanted to make sure you knew that there are apps out there.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Go to steam-engine.org
He explains everything.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would have to calculate the circumference of the circle (the coil wrap) based on it's diameter (ID) by multiplying it by pi, double it by the number of wraps and add the legs length to get the length of the wire used, then get the resistance based on the ohm per feet value for that material and wire diameter.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You would have to calculate the circumference of the circle (the coil wrap) based on it's diameter (ID) by multiplying it by pi, double it by the number of wraps and add the legs length to get the length of the wire used, then get the resistance based on the ohm per feet value for that material and wire diameter.
And that's the easy part lol. Now try figuring out wires like fused clapton and the likes

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And that's the easy part lol. Now try figuring out wires like fused clapton and the likes
For the core it's easy, calculate based on length of the core like you would calculate for a regular coil, then divide by number if cores.
Length of the wrap is length of the core divided by diameter of the wrap wire, multiplied by the ID, multiplied by pi, oh and don't forget the legs.
Now the difficult part is when electricity comes into play since it doesn't flow evenly through both core and wrap since they have different resistance.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors