Become a Patron!

Four Battery Series

In a parallel circuit your batteries will double amperage and mah, while your voltage stays the same, and in a series circuit your batteries will double voltage, while your amps and mah will stay the same.

Ive done some research and cannot seem to figure out what the results of a four battery mech ran in series would be. If there are four batteries ran in series, then doesn't that mean you have two series circuits ran in parallel.

To make it easy to calculate lets say we are going to use a battery with 10A output, 4.2V, and 1000mAh.
Parallel_______Series_______My Four Battery Theory_______My Other Four Battery Theory
20A__________10A____________40A_______________________20A
2000mAh_____1000mAh_____4000mAh_________________2000mAh
4.2V__________8.4V____________16.8V_____________________8.4V

Which one of my theories would test out correctly, I'm banking on the second one but I really have no idea.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parallel_______Series_______4 battery series
20A__________10A____________10A
2000mAh_____2000mAh_____4000mAh
4.2V__________8.4V____________16.8V

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Because if you took the cells out they would all stand end to end (- + - + - + - +) just the way they are connected

What you want is a parralel-Series Circuit :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why does it not double the amps?
Is there a circuit that would double amps as well as voltage?

series parallel.jpg

That is for 12V batteries but works the same for 4.2/3.7 V batteries.
Would just be 8.4 volts with 2X the current capacity of a single battery.

These batteries will need to be charged in an external charger or have a balanced charging circuit, which is complicated.

Not looking to apply the idea to anything yet. Just couldnt wrap my head around it. Thanks for the input.

Another question that I have is when building on a mech you have to be careful about how you build so that you stay within your amp limit, and for safety leave some headroom. Assuming that the battery and the build doesn't matter, a mech will pull energy from the battery to fire the build. That energy is Voltage, and the battery will always pull voltage from the battery as its energy. A fully charged battery will pull 4.2 volts, and deminish from there, but always pulling the maximum ammount of voltage allowed.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not looking to apply the idea to anything yet. Just couldnt wrap my head around it. Thanks for the input.

Another question that I have is when building on a mech you have to be careful about how you build so that you stay within your amp limit, and for safety leave some headroom. Assuming that the battery and the build doesn't matter, a mech will pull energy from the battery to fire the build. That energy is Voltage, and the battery will always pull voltage from the battery as its energy. A fully charged battery will pull 4.2 volts, and deminish from there, but always pulling the maximum ammount of voltage allowed.
That energy is not voltage. It is voltage multiplied by amperage, or watts. A fully charged battery will not pull 4.2 volts. It will pull 4.2 volts minus the voltage sag, and, the voltage sag depends on a multitude of factors like, for example, how many amps you draw from the battery as well as what battery you choose. Also note, if the volts diminish from 4.2 volts [minus the voltage sag] to something less than 4.2 volts [again, minus the voltage sag] due to discharging the battery for a certain period of time, then, due to Ohm's law, the amps you draw from the battery diminish also─thereby causing the voltage sag to diminish also. Finally note, the relationship between the amp draw and the size of the voltage sag with many (or most) batteries we use for vaping appears to be quasi linear, at least if the amp draw stays within reasonable bounds, albeit with some batteries we use for vaping this relationship is curved to a more noticeable extent... for better or worse.

VU Sponsors