Become a Patron!

Freemax Twister 80W Metal Edition- Tea Fiber Cotton

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Twister 80W Metal Edition Kit from Freemax. The Twister 80W Metal Edition Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Hedy from Freemax.

http://www.freemaxvape.com/product/twist...l-edition/

Introduction

The Twister was an instant hit with the only real complaint i heard being that there was no solid colour options, Freemax quickly responded to this criticism promising us they will in time release it in solid colours and here we are with the Twister Metal addition coming in 7 solid colours (well 6 and a rainbow version), so promised kept. We see the Twister once again paired with the Fireluke 2 also being called the Metal Edition but really is the exact same tank just in solid colours with the only difference being diagonal grooves which adds something aesthetically. So nothing new as far as mod and tank are concerned other than being now in solid colours but innovation is a foot with the inclusion of brand new coil heads. Freemax have really led the way in innovation when it comes to wicking materials in their mesh coil heads and here we see wicking material which is 90% Tea Fiber Cotton and 10% organic cotton or as the new Freemax slogan goes "90% Tea Fiber Cotton, Refresh your flavors!" (and yes i was asked to include that somewhere in the review lol). So let's give the Twister with Fireluke 2 Metal edition a look and give the new coil heads a try!

In The Box

Contents:

Freemax Twister 80W Metal Edition mod
Fireluke 2 Metal Edition Tank (TX2 mesh coil pre-installed)
Extra TX1 mesh coil
Bubble Pyrex tube (5 ml) TPD (2ml straight glass)
Replacement O-rings
USB charger
User manual
Warning card
Warranty card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Twister Mod and Fireluke 2 Metal Edition Kit come in separate cardboard box packaging which are bound together by an outer sleeve to complete the packaging. On opening both boxes mod and tank match each other perfectly and it's good to see the Twister now available in some solid colours. I received the Black version, the other options are Golden, SS, Red, Blue, Green and Rainbow. Both tube mod and tank are metal with what seems to be a very durable finish, the build quality is excellent as it was with the original version. The device has a teardrop shaped fire button towards the top with an LED surround, further down we have the Freemax trademark printed on the vertical. The rest of the main body of the device is plain apart from towards the top on the back we have the micro USB port. The bottom section of the device is the rotating section with texturing that you twist to set wattage, on the base of this section we have the "TWISTER" logo printed and a ring of venting holes. The top of the device has branding, safety stamps and the 510 plate has inner and outer rim, the inner protects the surface while the outer stops any visual gaping. The 510 is Gold plated and spring loaded, as with all tubular devices the Twister ergonomically is spot on.

Fireluke 2 Metal Edition Specs and Features:

New TX1/TX2/TNX2/TX3/TX4/TNX2 mesh coils.
Dimensions: 24 mm x 47.8 mm.
Capacity: 5 ml. (2ml TPD Edition)
Material: Stainless steel / Pyrex.
Threading: 510
Drip Tip: 810
Colours: Golden, Black, SS, Red, Blue, Green, Rainbow

Fireluke 2 Metal Edition Overview

The Fireluke 2 Metal Edition is the same Fireluke 2 tank that came with the original twister but now in solid colours to suit the new Twister devices with the only difference being diagonal grooves on the top-cap and airflow control sections. It's 24mm at the base and comes with a 5ml capacity bubble glass (standard edition) or 2ml straight glass (TPD edition). The top-cap is a thick section and slides open to reveal the juice port with a very nice smoothness, the tolerance is just right (There is a small red dot to show where to push the top-cap to open). Up top we have an 810 Delrin drip tip with a very wide bore, the drip tip has o-rings but there is also an o-ring inside the 810 fitting so all 810's will fit. When the top-cap is open if you look down the bore of the drip tip you will see that on the opposite side to the fill port is an air hole to let air escape while filling, there is not much to complain about with the Fireluke 2 Metal Edition but need to point out the fill port is not the biggest so you need to take your time when filling.
Like the tank which came with the original Twister I found the base section with pre-installed coil was done up very tight but having the diagonal grooves on the metal edition made it less of a problem getting it undone, the coil both screws into the base and onto the air pipe which when the tank is screwed together secures the bottom of the glass section over an o-ring fitted onto the base. With the base removed the glass can be wiggled off the top o-ring, you get a spare 5ml bubble glass with the standard edition and a spare 2ml glass with the EU edition. The airflow control is dual huge cyclops with stopper so the Fireluke can deliver a ton of air any restriction will be controlled not just by closing the airflow slots down but also the bore/bores of whichever coil you are using.
The main feature of the Fireluke 2 Metal Edition is the release of 6 brand new coil heads that use 90% tea fiber cotton as their wicking material, the kit includes 2 of the new coils which are the pre-installed TX2 dual mesh 0.2ohm kanthal coil which is rated between 40-80W and recommended at 70W. The other included coil is the TX1 single mesh 0.15 Kanthal coil which is recommended between 40-90W and recommended at 80W.

90% Tea Fiber Cotton, Refresh your flavors!

I do like that slogan but on a serious note i even more like the innovation Freemax continue to show around mesh coil wicking materials and maybe other manufacturers ought to produce tanks the are compatible with the "X" and "TX" coils from freemax rather than being compatible with Baby Beast coils, it would be a great new standard (just a thought!).
The new wicking material is a mixture of 90% Tea plant fiber and 10% organic cotton. The new coils also have diamond pattern mesh with laser cut edging to increase surface area and heat up instantly and evenly.

The New Coils

TX1 single-mesh 0.15-ohm coil, rated for 40-90 watts (included)
TX2 dual-mesh 0.2-ohm coil, rated for 40-80 watts (included)
TX3 triple-mesh 0.15-ohm coil, rated for 50-90 watts (not included)
TX4 quad-mesh 0.15-ohm coil, rated for 40-80 watts (not included)
TNX2 dual-mesh 0.5-ohm coil, rated for 20-50 watts (not included) (wish this was included)
TX1 single-mesh SS316L 0.12-ohm coil, rated for 400-550 F in TC (not included) If using this coil in wattage mode it is recommended that you use it below 60W

The Fireluke 2 Metal edition is also fully compatible with the complete range of "X" coils so plenty of choice for the vaper.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Twister Metal Edition Specs and Features:

Size: 24.7 mm x 101.6 mm.
Built-in battery: 2300mAh
Output wattage range: 5 – 80 watts.
Output voltage range: 0.5 – 9 volts.
Output current range: 1.0 – 30 amps.
Resistance range: 0.1 – 3.0 ohm
Power efficiency: 95%.
Charging: 1A
Wattage adjustment method: bottom dial
Colours: Golden, Black, SS, Red, Blue, Green, Rainbow

Using The Twister

The Twister allows you to have the simplicity of a tube mod yet can fine tune the wattage that suits your vape with no drop off in power as you get from the vast majority of tubular devices. The device has an in-built 20600 2300mAh battery and has a diameter of 24.7mm. The Twister is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and off and the surround of the fire button flashes White 5 times to confirm. The surround of the fire button also shows battery status indication for usage and charging as well as flashing various number of times when a safety protection kicks in. When first putting on charge the surround flashes Blue 5 times then turns a solid Red to indicate charging, once fully charged the surrounds light goes off. When vaping if the surround lights Green then the battery is between 65% and 100%, if it lights Yellow it's between 30% and 65% and finally when it lights Red the battery is between 0% and 30%.
Using the twister is as simple as setting wattage by turning (twisting) the bottom dial and vaping. The dial has a cutout section for a viewing window and the wattage is marked in figures at 10w increments. When turning the dial it clicks into position at not just the 10w increment marks but also at the 5w increments in-between, you can also fine tune between the locked positions. The dial moves with smoothness between the locked positions and seems very well made and durable.

Safety Protections

Overtime Protection
Over-heat Protection
Over-load Protection
Overcharge Protection
Battery Virtual High Protection
Short Circuit Protection

Using Independently

The Twister Kit is very much a kit with not only how the tank and tube device aesthetically match but also the wattage output suits the Fireluke 2 and supplied coils very well. After saying that both tank and device are quality products on their own merits and both can be used independently, in fact temp control users will be interested in trying the TX1 SS316L and X1 SS316L Coils using a temperature control device.

My Experience Using The Twister Kit

The device is so easy to use, fires at set wattage instantly (and i mean instantly) and i had no misfires or problems whatsoever. I really like the dial, it's very well made and moves between satisfyingly clicking into the 5 watts increment positions very smoothly, you can easily fine tune the wattage between the 5W positions to be very precise. When i first saw pictures of the device i did wonder about the durability especially of the dial but the Twister seems like it's built to last. The fire button protrudes nicely, is very easy to find and very clicky.
I tested both coils that comes in the kit, the TX1 0.15 ohm single mesh coil i found best at 65W with the airflow half open while the TX2 0.2ohm dual mesh coil i found best with the airflow slightly more open (about 2/3 open) at 60W. I preferred the TX2, it has a slightly more restricted draw and it seems to edge it for flavour, but it's marginal as the flavour i have been getting from both coils is excellent, the flavour was from the off with no break-in time. I am disappointed the TNX2 0.5ohm dual mesh coil wasn't included as the 20-50W rating sounds like it would of suited the Twister perfectly and would of got good battery life from the device.
I received the kit around the time i had a long weekend away which was a while ago now and although i haven't been using the device continuously since then as i am constantly testing products i have got through many tank fills using both coils and the flavour is still rocking with both so the coils and new wicking material are living up to the longevity claims although longevity will always differ depending on the type of e-liquid and wattage you use the coils at.
The 2300mAh battery life is fair and due to the device's 95% efficiency it seemed more like using one of my single battery device's with a 2600mAh battery but vaping at these wattage's it only lasts about half a day although if the TNX2 coil had been included using this would give a couple of extra hours at least, charging did take between 2 and 3 hours which seemed sluggish but the device does support pass-through.
I haven't used the device in the last couple of days as my final test was how well the wicking holds the e-liquid to avoid leaking. I filled the tank with e-liquid and left it on the device sitting on my desk for 48 hours and not a drop of e-liquid on device or desk so it passed that test with flying colours.

Very well made durable device
Included high quality Fireluke 2 Metal Edition Tank
Metal construction
7 Colour options
Ergonomic
Variable Wattage
Dial for adjusting wattage
Dial clicks into position at 5W increments
Fine tune between 5W increments
Battery status indication
Multiple safety protections
1A charging
80W device, tank and supplied coils good match-up although the TNX2 coil would of been an even better inclusion for 2300mAh battery capacity
Both tank and device good products independent of each other
Wicking material mixture of 90% Tea plant fiber and 10% organic cotton.
Diamond pattern mesh with laser cut edging
6 new coils available with new tea fiber wicking material
Also compatible with "X" series coils
Innovation
Excellent flavour
No break-in time
Good coil longevity
Had no leaking issues
All 810 drip tips will fit
Spare glass

Cons

Filling slot is not the biggest
In-built battery
For a device released in 2019 charging time a bit sluggish
2300mAh battery will not last all day with supplied coils
TNX2 not being included in my opinion is a big con (would be ideal for the Twister device)

I would once again like to thank Hedy from Freemax for supplying the Twister 80W Metal Edition Kit for the purpose of this review.

http://www.freemaxvape.com/product/twist...l-edition/

VU Sponsors