Become a Patron!

Frustrating dry hits

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
Hello guys. I am quite new to vaping, started about a month ago with the intention to stop smoking and start vaping instead. I bought the iStick Pico and had a melo 3 mini tank that came with it.

Had some issues at first, since I didn't know how to prime and that you needed to do that and what not, but I got it to work and I had a really good vaping experience up until now...

Basically, during a night out drinking, I accidentally dropped my vape and one of the parts at the bottom of the tank got misaligned and then the tank wouldn't "fit" on my iStick Pico anymore since it was leaning and misaligned.

Anyway, yesterday I went to a vape shop to buy a new tank, I bought the Melo 4 (2ml) because the guy at the store said it would work well with the iStick Pico and it was cheaper. So I immidiately primed the coil (by dropping e-liquid on the sides of the coil, inside the "hole" down to the coil and the cotton inside).

I took a few dry hits without firing the button and let it sit for like half an hour or so. I started trying to vape and I started it at 30 watts, and it immidiately tasted and smelled burnt. I figured the coil might've been bad or something and swapped it out to the 0.5 ohm that was included, also brand new. I primed it, and followed specific guides on how to prime it and basically did everything according to the book... and this time it doesn't smell or taste burnt, but I am defenitely only getting dry hits... there is vapor but it doesn't taste anything but hot air and it is very unpleasant to inhale.

So I have tried 4 different coils by now, trying different things on each of them, such as sticking holes in the cotton, priming them, letting them sit in the tank for over one hour and even the whole night, etc. At this point I'm not sure what to do or what the issue might be...

I do have a high VG percentage in my e-liquid (About 70%). But it worked just fine with my old Melo 3 and I never had this problem before... I also experienced some leaking from the new tank at some points.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BAD COIL HEADS.... manufacturers notoriously sells bad coil heads unfortunately!
Good luck!

I BAM

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pre-made coils suck. They are often inconsistent and vary from pack to pack. Try taking a sewing needle and poking some holes in the sides.

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
Pre-made coils suck. They are often inconsistent and vary from pack to pack. Try taking a sewing needle and poking some holes in the sides.
Thanks, I did try that but I probably poked too big holes since my needle wasn't small enough... gonna give it another shot soon!

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
BAD COIL HEADS.... manufacturers notoriously sells bad coil heads unfortunately!
Good luck!

I BAM
I would've though that it's rare to have bad coils and especially when you buy a tank that includes them.. but what do I know, thanks anyway, I ordered a pack of 5 so I'll wait and see I guess.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would've though that it's rare to have bad coils and especially when you buy a tank that includes them.. but what do I know, thanks anyway, I ordered a pack of 5 so I'll wait and see I guess.

Unfortunately it happens all the time...
KUP

I BAM

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
while bad coils is a normal culprit

SInce you dropped the whole thing......

check the 510 connection of the mod
maybe go back to vape store ask them to test your mod with one of the employees tanks to make sure it is firing correctly

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
while bad coils is a normal culprit

SInce you dropped the whole thing......

check the 510 connection of the mod
maybe go back to vape store ask them to test your mod with one of the employees tanks to make sure it is firing correctly
Yeah, it's a weird problem because it seems to work just fine, the weird part is that I do get vapor and all, but it just doesn't taste anything except hot air and it feels like the tank/coil whatever isn't providing any juice basically... Do you think that sounds like it might be caused by damage to the 510 connection?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No. If it fires/steams, the 510 "works".

Premade coils are an abomination to anyone that isn't disabled. Really.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Maybe vapor lock. Try unscrewing the base or top cap just a smidge and look for air bubbles.

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
Maybe vapor lock. Try unscrewing the base or top cap just a smidge and look for air bubbles.
I did do this again today, I let it sit in juice all night, screwed off the bottom base of the tank (because the top apparantely won't go off or is really tight on melo 4) and then I took 5 hits without firing, tried to take a vape at about 30Watts and still the same :/

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I did do this again today, I let it sit in juice all night, screwed off the bottom base of the tank (because the top apparantely won't go off or is really tight on melo 4) and then I took 5 hits without firing, tried to take a vape at about 30Watts and still the same :/
try with the airflow wide open and see if anything changes?

maybe the airflow is closed all the way on the new tank?

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
try with the airflow wide open and see if anything changes?

maybe the airflow is closed all the way on the new tank?
Thanks for the tip but I did try it and although I do get more juice that way the vapor is still dry hot air... I hope it's the coil, just strange because I have tried 4 different ones now including two that I knew for a fact were in ok shape since I used them for only a couple days prior to installing them in the new tank now....

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What wattage (or anything else) does the mod say when you fire it with the tank on it?

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
What wattage (or anything else) does the mod say when you fire it with the tank on it?
I have tried from 30-50 Watts, when I tried the new coils I started with 30 watts and tried to work my way up but I've constantly been getting dry hits :/

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
What mode do you have your istick pico in? From your description I am assuming VW but if in TC you might have your settings too high causing it to ruin your coils.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have tried from 30-50 Watts, when I tried the new coils I started with 30 watts and tried to work my way up but I've constantly been getting dry hits :/
Did you fire it while looking at the screen? what does the screen say when you do that?

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
What mode do you have your istick pico in? From your description I am assuming VW but if in TC you might have your settings too high causing it to ruin your coils.
Yes, it's in VW

Did you fire it while looking at the screen? what does the screen say when you do that?
It just says whatever wattage I am on (35 right now) VW and how many seconds I've held the fire button

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'd take it to the shop where you bought the tank and tell them it's not working. Hands on, they might be able to sort it out.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Have you verified the authenticity of the replacement coils and of the melo itself? and did you source the replacement coils from the same vendor you purchased the melo from?

Ghostpowa

Member For 1 Year
I'd take it to the shop where you bought the tank and tell them it's not working. Hands on, they might be able to sort it out.
Yeah guess I will have to do that... Only problem is I live pretty far from the nearest vape shop but oh well. Thanks for the help.

Have you verified the authenticity of the replacement coils and of the melo itself? and did you source the replacement coils from the same vendor you purchased the melo from?
The shop I purchased this melo 4 ank from (where the coils were included) is the exact same place where I bought my iStick Pico. So yeah idk. Thanks for the help though.

VU Sponsors