Become a Patron!

G.R.1 and Nixon S RDAs *problem*

Hello everyone, I just received both my GR1 and Nixon S that I snatched at a good price. The only problem is that I i get a bad machine oil or burnt plastic taste from both. Has anyone else faced this problem? This seems unusual and no one else seems to be having this problem.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never had any bad tastes. Might want. Check the insulator as well. May be burnt from too much heat or coils to close to the insulator

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The GR1 is one of my favorites, i run about 6 of them at any given time. There are a few things to watch for though. You may want to make sure your coils are not touching the airflow inserts and that the coil is not set too high where it is melting the top cap. It seems to work best with 2.5mm coils, larger than that and it gets too close to the airflow inserts. Another thing to keep in mind is that the drip tips have a short stem (part that goes down into the top cap). Tips with standard length stems protrude into the rda and can melt easily since it is such a low profile rda.

I never used the nixon so I have no pointers for it.

The GR1 is one of my favorites, i run about 6 of them at any given time. There are a few things to watch for though. You may want to make sure your coils are not touching the airflow inserts and that the coil is not set too high where it is melting the top cap. It seems to work best with 2.5mm coils, larger than that and it gets too close to the airflow inserts. Another thing to keep in mind is that the drip tips have a short stem (part that goes down into the top cap). Tips with standard length stems protrude into the rda and can melt easily since it is such a low profile rda.

I never used the nixon so I have no pointers for it.

I’ve tried running 3.5, 26g round wire and it was unbareable, then a 2.5 ID of 26 and it made it worse. I thought maybe I was placing the coil too close to the air inserts and so I raised it but the same problem persists. I think it’s a combination of either the top cap melting or the air inserts melting. My Nixon doesn’t even have air inserts and the same thing happens.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I’ve tried running 3.5, 26g round wire and it was unbareable, then a 2.5 ID of 26 and it made it worse. I thought maybe I was placing the coil too close to the air inserts and so I raised it but the same problem persists. I think it’s a combination of either the top cap melting or the air inserts melting. My Nixon doesn’t even have air inserts and the same thing happens.

The inserts are very heat resistant. If the coil isn't touching them, then they should be fine. My coils set about 1mm away from them, i use 28x3/40 fused claptons. If the inserts are burning, you will see melting and dark discoloration that stands out clearly on the grey inserts. I had one slightly melt once when an insert came loose after I dropped the mod.

Did you wash the RDAs before using them? Can you post pics of your build?

The inserts are very heat resistant. If the coil isn't touching them, then they should be fine. My coils set about 1mm away from them, i use 28x3/40 fused claptons. If the inserts are burning, you will see melting and dark discoloration that stands out clearly on the grey inserts. I had one slightly melt once when an insert came loose after I dropped the mod.

Did you wash the RDAs before using them? Can you post pics of your build?

Im at work rn but I will post a picture after i get back home. It could just be mashine oil, I didn’t wash the RDAs, how do you normally wash them? I once had an RDA with machine oil that I couldn’t ever get rid of even with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use an ultrasonic cleaner. One cycle with dawn and water. Two cycles with clean water. Before I got the ultrasonic, I would boil them. I always fully disassemble them too.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner. One cycle with dawn and water. Two cycles with clean water. Before I got the ultrasonic, I would boil them. I always fully disassemble them too.
I’ll try doing exactly this when I get home. I’ll follow up. Thank you sir!

I’ll try doing exactly this when I get home. I’ll follow up. Thank you sir!
I found the solution, it was machine oil so I cleaned in in the ultrasonic cleaner for about 3-4 hours. Bathed it with cooking oil for one hour (this is an old trick during the fastech days that I discovered yesterday), 1 hour with dawn soap and then one hour with water. It’s tasting crazy good now. Thank you.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is my build, I like to keep things simple. I’m running 24g kanthal 7 wraps
Position looks good. If the height is set even with the notches in the sides of the deck, that should be good too. I can't see any burning on the airflow inserts, and your coil doesn't look high enough to melt the top cap, so I would guess you may still have machine oil residue in the RDA somewhere. I would take the positive and negative posts out an give it all a good cleaning. I would say that should fix ya up.

VU Sponsors