Become a Patron!

Gauge? Newbie questions

flynncrem

Member For 1 Year
I see everywhere 32 gauge or 36 or 28 or whatever...but what is it? I’m guessing it’s how big the hole is but I dnno? Maybe a bigger gauge means more cotton can fit in... I don’t build so I wouldn’t know but I do have an rda but with demon killer prebuilt coils and the cotton keeps splitting literally as soon as so maybe the gauge is to blame or even the metal (kanthan)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The gauge relates to the diameter of the wire ...used mainly in America, but wire in any country using the metric system you’ll see mm converted to the right on the chart

E412830B-7489-4009-BCCE-2EA853062D1E.jpeg
E412830B-7489-4009-BCCE-2EA853062D1E.jpeg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Gauge is short for
“American Wire Gauge”
Like kingpin said it’s essentially a unit of measurement for the diameter of round wire. Typically the larger the number the thinner the wire and the higher the resistance of the wire.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So for example you might read on here someone saying they used a 3mm ID clapton coil with a 26g core and 36g wrap (3mm ID - 26g/36g)

It means they take a length of 26g wire then wrap a thinner gauge wire around it lots of times using 36g wire, this creates a clapton (guitar string look to it)

At this point is just a stick of wire ...still straight so now they need to coil it up. They then take that stick and wrap it around a 3mm jig or screwdriver bit X number of times (wraps) so it’s inner diameter (ID) measures 3mm

......A bit like the below coil this is a clapton as described above but at 3.5mm ID 26g/34g

232151C7-9819-4576-BE3D-ECE7690E9866.jpeg

Last edited:

flynncrem

Member For 1 Year
So for example you might read on here someone saying they used a 3mm ID clapton coil with a 26g core and 36g wrap (3mm ID - 26g/36g)

It means they take a length of 26g wire then wrap a thinner gauge wire around it lots of times using 36g wire, this creates a clapton (guitar string look to it)

At this point is just a stick of wire ...still straight so now they need to coil it up. They then take that stick and wrap it around a 3mm jig or screwdriver bit X number of times (wraps) so it’s inner diameter (ID) measures 3mm

......A bit like the below coil this is a clapton as described above but at 3.5mm ID 26g/34g

View attachment 107841
Brilliant thanks a lot! Just to be sure, the core is thicker than the wrap but also lighter? (As you mentioned the wrap weighing more in grams)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Brilliant thanks a lot! Just to be sure, the core is thicker than the wrap but also lighter? (As you mentioned the wrap weighing more in grams)

Hmm may have confused you here I’m describing the diamter of the wire not weight of it (measuring the circle bit looking at the end of a piece of wire) that’s what the gauge is referring to

Core wire means the initial price of wire take a 26g piece of wire it’s diameter is 0.33mm

The thinner wire I was describing is used to wrap around this core (you can see it in my pic above) it’s diamter is 0.16mm

So the Core is thicker than the wire I used to wrap around it ....the thicker the core wire is the less resistance it has, think of it like a hosepipe with water running through it

g = gauge not grams

flynncrem

Member For 1 Year
Hmm may have confused you here I’m describing the diamter of the wire not weight of it (measuring the circle bit looking at the end of a piece of wire) that’s what the gauge is referring to

Core wire means the initial price of wire take a 26g piece of wire it’s diameter is 0.33mm

The thinner wire I was describing is used to wrap around this core (you can see it in my pic above) it’s diamter is 0.16mm

So the Core is thicker than the wire I used to wrap around it ....the thicker the core wire is the less resistance it has, think of it like a hosepipe with water running through it

g = gauge not grams
Ohhh g means gauge okay I get it now yeh that makes sense thanks!
Oh and sorry for asking but do you know what gauge or whatever’s the demon killer 8-in-1 coils are? I know they are all different but just in general, like the fused Clapton’s or tiger coils

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have you got a pic to hand of the top of the lid? It should say what they are using in each section and what each individual coils resistance is (remember if you mount two separate coils on most decks you get half the resistance of a single coil)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohhh g means gauge okay I get it now yeh that makes sense thanks!
Oh and sorry for asking but do you know what gauge or whatever’s the demon killer 8-in-1 coils are? I know they are all different but just in general, like the fused Clapton’s or tiger coils

Well, folks type lazy.. 'g' here is because they can't find the "aw" prefix for the acronym AWG. ;-)

Given today's TC control, I suspect even 30 and 32awg SS will work decent. I've even used 30awg a couple times this year to see if I got that infamous ego-era "pop" results.

You can pick up a few of the most common sizes and be good for years of experimenting: 24,28,28awg. Maybe a smaller roll of 30awg - unless you like making clapton-type, then you likely want 36|38awg.

Ribbon wire, well - all I have is some old kanthal - someone here can likely suggest one or 2 ribbon wires to stock and why.

flynncrem

Member For 1 Year
Well, folks type lazy.. 'g' here is because they can't find the "aw" prefix for the acronym AWG. ;-)

Given today's TC control, I suspect even 30 and 32awg SS will work decent. I've even used 30awg a couple times this year to see if I got that infamous ego-era "pop" results.

You can pick up a few of the most common sizes and be good for years of experimenting: 24,28,28awg. Maybe a smaller roll of 30awg - unless you like making clapton-type, then you likely want 36|38awg.

Ribbon wire, well - all I have is some old kanthal - someone here can likely suggest one or 2 ribbon wires to stock and why.
My coils are demon killer and I sure it’s kanthal so I can’t use TC....or can i like why

VU Sponsors