Become a Patron!

gauging interest in DNA30 22mm mod.........pics included

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think its fantastic and you've done great work. Its designed well. How do you access the spring in the bottom cap in case it needs replacement? Does the cap disassemble somehow?

I think the cradle for the board is very innovative. You may be able to get a utility patent on that piece if it passes all prior art tests. A patent on the whole mod itself would be very difficult to obtain, but a good patent lawyer will tell you that after he spends about 50 to 100 billable hours in research time... Gotta love lawyers!

Keep in mind most patent filings start at about 25k to 30k and go up from there based on how hard you have to defend its uniqueness and how much research must be done to find prior art that might keep your patent from approval.

Since the cradle itself seems unique (ive never seen one done without wires like that) I think thats the part worth patenting especially if being used with a standard board like a dna, or the design can be adapted to other boards and licensed for other mods. If it is designed somewhat future proof and can be adapted then it may be a winner.

Now that being said china will find a way to clone it, and patent enforcement there is kinda nil. So is it worth patenting? Eh, tough call, Im hedging towards no even tho it would be nice to have a patent. You can always file a provisional patent, begin production, and see how it goes and still be able to finish and protect your work later if you decide to follow thru with it.

I dont see a higher risk of shorting without wires either long as the over discharge works properly. It also eliminates the wires themselves shorting out.

Nice work. Just hope you can keep the cost down enough.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here is a quality USA made 22mm DNA30 mod. It is not finished yet as I still have to make the 510 connector for the top of it. Our company also has a copper version and I will post pics as soon as it is ready. These are prototypes and we are only making a few right now. I need as much feedback as possible to try and get the owner of my company to invest in this project. Here are some pictures.

10482290_10201388866284214_5137343623371368803_n.jpg

10458624_10201388866724225_4859945493027632628_n.jpg
10463978_10201388867044233_5137031373176396011_n.jpg

A little more about this mod ----- It is a modular DNA 30 as we are making a seperate switch to replace the bottom cap for the bottom so you can take the DNA part off the mod and use this as a fully mechanical mod. It is going to be shorter than a Vamo and I will give you the finished dimensions in the near future when the 510 connectors are done. As for the price which is usually the first question I get it is not been set yet. But I can tell you that the more feedback I get, the more we can run and the lower the price will be. If we only make 50, the price will be pretty high. But if we can get the owner to invest in making this mod and many others (500 pieces at a time or so) we could really get our pricing to look much more attractive for this and other mods in the future. I will post a Video Review of this mod once I have the 510 connector done.

The company I work for has been in business for over 25 years so this is not a new start up company. We have a lot of other work to do so we have been on and off this project for 6 months. I would like our company to start a new division dedicated to building high quality American made mods, but I need lots of feedback to get the owner to be more excited about it. The owner has already told me if he sees enough interest he would be willing to invest in new equipment and tooling for mods, so please, anyone who can post please do so. Ask questions if you'd like and I will try to answer them.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Chainvapor :)

P.S. I was permanently Banned from the ECF for a thread similar to this one today. What a bunch of ASSHOLES! They called it advertising. I just want to say my company will not sell 1 device here without Joe's ok. I am just trying to get feedback to give to the company I work for. If there is not enough interest in these mods, there will only be 10 made and probably we won't make any more so please post. I am not a salesman, I am a machinist, so this is not advertising as much as trying to get my company on the right track to making beautiful USA made mods. THANKS!!

Note to Joe - If I need my own forum for this, please let me know how to obtain it. I will do whatever you want me to do.

Are you using the Evolv DNA 30 or the ChDNA clone and approx what cost it looks nice are those switches going to run off the board or are they going to be seperate switches? I would be willing to buy one if I had more pics of internals etc ya know...

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Are you using the Evolv DNA 30 or the ChDNA clone and approx what cost it looks nice are those switches going to run off the board or are they going to be seperate switches? I would be willing to buy one if I had more pics of internals etc ya know...

The board is an authentic Evolv DNA30. The switches go straight to the board (no wires). As far as pics of internals, probably not going to happen. China is probably already looking at this post and my video! HAHA

P.S. Price is still TBD

DarthRTFM

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok, I'm going to just come out and be brutally honest about this. This has been done. While I appreciate that this is made in the US using Evolv boards and high quality materials, there are many other mods that are very similar for less money, and honestly this is easily cloneable. I'd love to own on of these as I'm a collector, but at the price point you are aiming at, there simply isn't enough uniqueness to get my money.

Also, as anyone who's used a DNA30 mod knows, running that board above 16 watts with a single 18650 it isn't going to last long before you're going to need to swap batteries and I may be mistaken, but it doesn't appear to have micro USB charging, which is one of the main things that makes the DNA boards awesome.

Next, while it may be cool that it can also be used in mech mode as well, 90% of people aren't going to want to carry around a separate bottom cap/switch, and/or will end up losing it at some point. This is also a weird market as most people either want a mech, or a regulated mod and not both, I do, but the majority of people want one or the other... Look at the Semovar mod, very cool, but very few people actually wanted one and it was from a VERY well know company.

Another question I have is why you've gone with the DNA being that it has been surpassed in both power and functionality by the sx350 boards which will soon be upgradeable to 80w and still use a single 18650 for about the same price? Most people that are/were DNA users have moved on as we are always looking for the new hot gadget. Availability of the DNA boards has also notoriously been an issue, whereas the DNA clones and sx350s are easily had.

The last thing I'd suggest is airflow control or at the very least airflow grooves in the top cap as there are still many people, especially regulated mod users that are using tanks with bottom airflow, which is a no-go on flat top caps.

Just a few. Things I'm curious about. I'll be keeping an eye out, and if/when these go into production, I'll be taking a good look at them.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, I'm going to just come out and be brutally honest about this. This has been done.

First I just want to say this has not been done. There is not 1 DNA mod on the market without glue or wires. If you know of one, post a link or pictures, because no one I know has ever seen one.

While I appreciate that this is made in the US using Evolv boards and high quality materials, there are many other mods that are very similar for less money, and honestly this is easily cloneable. I'd love to own on of these as I'm a collector, but at the price point you are aiming at, there simply isn't enough uniqueness to get my money.

Honestly, I am a machinist. I have been machining parts for over 23 years. This is not "easily cloneable". This mod is made with extremely high precision. Can it be cloned? Of course it can, every mod out there can be cloned. EASILY is not a word I would use to describe it though.

Also, as anyone who's used a DNA30 mod knows, running that board above 16 watts with a single 18650 it isn't going to last long before you're going to need to swap batteries and I may be mistaken, but it doesn't appear to have micro USB charging, which is one of the main things that makes the DNA boards awesome.

If this was a box mod I would agree. But it is not. I carry extra batteries with me everywhere I go. Every person I know who vapes tube mods does the same. So the lack of a microusb charging port is not a deal breaker for most. Some may consider it a deal breaker (especially box mod users), but most will not.

Next, while it may be cool that it can also be used in mech mode as well, 90% of people aren't going to want to carry around a separate bottom cap/switch, and/or will end up losing it at some point. This is also a weird market as most people either want a mech, or a regulated mod and not both, I do, but the majority of people want one or the other... Look at the Semovar mod, very cool, but very few people actually wanted one and it was from a VERY well know company.

As far as I am concerned, converting to a mech mod is an awesome feature that every VV / VW mod should have. If for some reason your board goes bad in most of the VV/VW mods out there, your Shit out of Luck. Being able to use it as a mech mod lets our mod hold infinite value, because no matter what happens to the DNA portion of the mod, you will still be able to use it. Every electronic device on the planet has a limited life span. Only so many thousands of clicks before things wear out. A mechanical mod (if properly kept up and cleaned) could be handed down to my great grandchildren 60 years from now. Also, for some reason if someone wanted a little more "stealthy" setup they could shorten the whole mod by removing the DNA portion. Lastly, if something does happen to the board, we could replace just the DNA portion and send it out to our customers without replacing the whole mod and they could continue using it in mechanical mode until there replacement DNA arrives at their doorstep.

Another question I have is why you've gone with the DNA being that it has been surpassed in both power and functionality by the sx350 boards which will soon be upgradeable to 80w and still use a single 18650 for about the same price? Most people that are/were DNA users have moved on as we are always looking for the new hot gadget. Availability of the DNA boards has also notoriously been an issue, whereas the DNA clones and sx350s are easily had.

The Decision to use the DNA30---------------

As far as using the DNA30, all I can tell you is we are hesitant to put a China clone chip in a USA mod. We cannot sell a mod as cheap as China can, so putting a chip in our mod that is the same as a China mod would de-value our mod. The way we look at it, the evolv chip is a premium product which has been tested to last. There are still a lot of original DNA30 mods floating around still working flawlessly while there have been problems with the Seven 22 and Seven 30 mods. Also heard people are having problems with the CHDNA boards (at least the first batch anyway). All of these new chips out of China could last a week or a couple months, we do not know yet. When you put countless hours into designing and making all the parts to hold a Electronics board in a mod, the last thing you want is to have problems with it.

The last thing I'd suggest is airflow control or at the very least airflow grooves in the top cap as there are still many people, especially regulated mod users that are using tanks with bottom airflow, which is a no-go on flat top caps.

The top 510 cap will have air flow in it, it is not finished yet.

Just a few. Things I'm curious about. I'll be keeping an eye out, and if/when these go into production, I'll be taking a good look at them.

Thank you for your reply.

Let me also state that we would have liked these mods done 4 - 5 months ago when we first received the DNA30 boards, but our company has many customers and we stay pretty busy serving them. Now that we have working prototypes, we are hoping to convince the owner to create a new division dedicated to building high quality mods. If and when we do this, we will be much faster at getting new products onto the market.

Thank you again for your comments. It is greatly appreciated.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if you would like a beta tester for this just let me know... :cool:

duroSIG556R

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'd get on board with the SX350. Also, make a box mod with dual 18650 capability. Thanks.

DarthRTFM

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
First I just want to say this has not been done. There is not 1 DNA mod on the market without glue or wires. If you know of one, post a link or pictures, because no one I know has ever seen one.

Honestly, I am a machinist. I have been machining parts for over 23 years. This is not "easily cloneable". This mod is made with extremely high precision. Can it be cloned? Of course it can, every mod out there can be cloned. EASILY is not a word I would use to describe it though.

If this was a box mod I would agree. But it is not. I carry extra batteries with me everywhere I go. Every person I know who vapes tube mods does the same. So the lack of a microusb charging port is not a deal breaker for most. Some may consider it a deal breaker (especially box mod users), but most will not.

As far as I am concerned, converting to a mech mod is an awesome feature that every VV / VW mod should have. If for some reason your board goes bad in most of the VV/VW mods out there, your Shit out of Luck. Being able to use it as a mech mod lets our mod hold infinite value, because no matter what happens to the DNA portion of the mod, you will still be able to use it. Every electronic device on the planet has a limited life span. Only so many thousands of clicks before things wear out. A mechanical mod (if properly kept up and cleaned) could be handed down to my great grandchildren 60 years from now. Also, for some reason if someone wanted a little more "stealthy" setup they could shorten the whole mod by removing the DNA portion. Lastly, if something does happen to the board, we could replace just the DNA portion and send it out to our customers without replacing the whole mod and they could continue using it in mechanical mode until there replacement DNA arrives at their doorstep.

The Decision to use the DNA30---------------

As far as using the DNA30, all I can tell you is we are hesitant to put a China clone chip in a USA mod. We cannot sell a mod as cheap as China can, so putting a chip in our mod that is the same as a China mod would de-value our mod. The way we look at it, the evolv chip is a premium product which has been tested to last. There are still a lot of original DNA30 mods floating around still working flawlessly while there have been problems with the Seven 22 and Seven 30 mods. Also heard people are having problems with the CHDNA boards (at least the first batch anyway). All of these new chips out of China could last a week or a couple months, we do not know yet. When you put countless hours into designing and making all the parts to hold a Electronics board in a mod, the last thing you want is to have problems with it.

The top 510 cap will have air flow in it, it is not finished yet.

Thank you for your reply.

Let me also state that we would have liked these mods done 4 - 5 months ago when we first received the DNA30 boards, but our company has many customers and we stay pretty busy serving them. Now that we have working prototypes, we are hoping to convince the owner to create a new division dedicated to building high quality mods. If and when we do this, we will be much faster at getting new products onto the market.

Thank you again for your comments. It is greatly appreciated.

And thank you for your response, it is exactly what I was looking for. Keep up the good work.

Just registered to chime in. I would be VERY VERY interested in this mod. Just the other day I was tinkering with the idea of making my own mod with a client of mine that does stainless steel work. And I got as far as making a list of what I would do with it and this idea you working on covers ALL of the bases.

1-Flush designless brushed stainless steel body.
2-Flat top cap with adjustable pin and no air flow (I personally don't need it from any of my devices, and not having any air flow channels or holes keeps the look sleek.
3-DNA30 equipped
4-Bottom cap replaceable with a mechanical switch to convert to mechanical mod

Honestly I would buy it just as you showed it on the preview video. I would accept some etching for branding, logo or whatever on the bottom of the bottom cap/switch but if it where up to me, leave it as is and sell it to me!

Whats your current ETA?

EDIT: Having an 18350 tube option would be good as well for every day carry. I usually run my Kayfuns at 11W and you can do that with an 18350 no problem while using a DNA30 so make that an option please.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just registered to chime in. I would be VERY VERY interested in this mod. Just the other day I was tinkering with the idea of making my own mod with a client of mine that does stainless steel work. And I got as far as making a list of what I would do with it and this idea you working on covers ALL of the bases.

1-Flush designless brushed stainless steel body.
2-Flat top cap with adjustable pin and no air flow (I personally don't need it from any of my devices, and not having any air flow channels or holes keeps the look sleek.
3-DNA30 equipped
4-Bottom cap replaceable with a mechanical switch to convert to mechanical mod

Honestly I would buy it just as you showed it on the preview video. I would accept some etching for branding, logo or whatever on the bottom of the bottom cap/switch but if it where up to me, leave it as is and sell it to me!

Whats your current ETA?

EDIT: Having an 18350 tube option would be good as well for every day carry. I usually run my Kayfuns at 11W and you can do that with an 18350 no problem while using a DNA30 so make that an option please.

Hello there. Thank you for your interest in our DNA30 mod. Still in the prototype phase. We do have all the parts finished for the mod WITHOUT the mechanical switch. We have yet to make the mechanical switches, that part is still in development. Sorry it is taking so long. We have been swamped at work with customers wanting a million other parts so the DNA has been on the back burner again. Hopefully I will have more info on these soon!! Thank you again for your interest.

CV :)

BTW, judging from the look of the design, does this mean that the DNA board will be user replaceable if it ever fails? You guys aren't doing any soldering on the board itself?

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
BTW, judging from the look of the design, does this mean that the DNA board will be user replaceable if it ever fails? You guys aren't doing any soldering on the board itself?

It would be possible, but difficult. You are right, there are no wires and no soldering. But the design is a tight fit.

CV:)

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I as a person that is remotely responsible for using machine shop equipment, (programing) have been watching the progress of this closely. I have the same feeling as I had when I first was aware of this product. It gives me a warm feeling to know this product will have a chance on the market.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This products looks great!
i just have a few of questions. So will there be a different top cap when/if the user decides to go to mech mode, and if not how would the adjustments be made for battery rattle? Also if you decide to keep the same top cap for both the DNA header and the mech mod will the spring be able to support super sub ohm builds?

Also my last and possible the most important question, will you have battery vent holes and were other than the switch?

Honestly this device looks amazing, and one of my favorite things about it is that your going to be using the on the board buttons on the DNA board to keep things as simple as possible. Good luck in your project. IF i had the money i would gladly invest it in this device

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Great video review dude!

You should really consider doing more of them on different mods as well.

Short and to the point and in less than four minutes you covered everything that needed to be covered.

Something I wish other reviewers would learn to do!!!

And for God's Sake, take out a patent!

If the Chinese have watched your review, it may be too late anyway:eek:

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great video review dude!

You should really consider doing more of them on different mods as well.

Short and to the point and in less than four minutes you covered everything that needed to be covered.

Something I wish other reviewers would learn to do!!!

And for God's Sake, take out a patent!

If the Chinese have watched your review, it may be too late anyway:eek:

Thank you!! I try. Here is a video I just did for the Copper version of the DNA30 mod. Sorry it is a little long winded, I did not have time to edit so it is all there from beginning to end.

Getting there slowly but surely. Hopefully we will have these done before we are traveling through space and living on other planets. LOL :)

I was reading this post and truthfully it makes no sense to make a seven 30, I am in the processes of upgrading my seven 22 to seven 60tc with the Sx350 60 tc now that doing something and since the seven 22 has a 26650 battery there's no issues re doing the seven mod to gain 8 watts is a jokes when you can just as easy put a 60 firmware up-gradable TC 60 watt that doing something on all ends giving you temp control firmware upgrade ability the Sx350 60 watt chip is just about 2 mm longer and if someone would make the just a bit longer tube where the positive Battery connection is they could sell the upgrade as a diy kit it would b e a very easy upgrade its a bit of a pain in the ass at this point as you have to dremal out a that bottom ring then epoxy the chip in at the bottom and use I am currently looking for someone that can use a CNC lathe that would be interested in make the tubs we need and sell them for folk that want to do this upgrade I can supply the chip and all the seven parts and I would be willing to send them to him to make the first one and write the set up for the CNC lath I thought about using a 3d print but it would be same to make that from plastic plus it get warm there and metat 3 d prints are so inaccurate I was thinking 304 stainless the finish would be satin

Last edited:

VU Sponsors