Become a Patron!

Gearbest: Suspect Devices

The other day I received an order from Gearbest. I was surprised because it only took about 10 days and the postmark was from Korea, not China. I received a Troll RDA, the Noisy Cricket II 25, and the OBS Engine tank. All the items were listed as AUTHENTIC. However, I'm really suspicious that the OBS ENGINE and the Noisy Cricket II 25 were clones. The OBS Engine has really, really bad threading. I mean it's crunchy and very difficult to get the threads from the base to the barrel to line up and screw together. I carefully carefully carefully have to screw, back up, screw, back up over and over again to get the device to come together correctly. And the way the threads scratch and scrape as I turn makes it seem likely that these threads are very easy to damage. I haven't seen any reviews that mentioned the terrible threads so I think I received a clone. But, the device does work well, really well when it's all put together. No leaks, easiest wicking on a tank I've ever seen, great flavor. I works like a charm once it's put together. The Noisy Cricket II 25 also has some fishy problems. First, when I insert the batteries and slide the battery cover on, it's very hit or miss whether the device will make contact and get power. I have keep removing the batteries and inserting them over and over and replacing the battery cover for the device to receive power. When I finally get power (the fire button lights up) it works great. But the really fishy part is that the potentiometer you turn to raise the increase the power is turned clockwise to increase the power instead of counterclockwise. All the reviewers complained heatedly about how stupid the counterclockwise knob was. I prefer clockwise but such a big deviation from what I've seen about this device prior to purchase leads me to think this device is not authentic. Also, I can't find a serial number on the NC II 25.

So, while I'm not 100% certain that these devices are clones I'm very suspicious. I've bought lots of stuff from Gearbest and all the stuff I had purchased that was listed as AUTHENTIC seemed legit before but I have a feeling these were clones being passed off as originals. I'm keeping the devices because I can get them to work and they do perform well once I'm passed the initial frustrations but I just wanted to let folks know that you may not be getting what is promised from Gearbest.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't personally seen a clone for the OBS nor the cricket as of just yet...Just because a product may not have high quality threads doesn't mean its a clone..Sometimes they crank them out so fast they leave a bit of quality control at the back door..I can name other authentic tanks and products that lack a bit of quality in an area or two.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Never heard credible complaints about GB pulling a switcharoo

Lots of other complaints, but not that one

Le Furet

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just chiming in to say that I've made at least a dozen orders with Gearbest and everything listed as authentic most certainly is.
Totally understand your questioning but I'm pretty sure Gearbest is on the level with their authentics vs. 'styled/clone' pieces.

I haven't personally seen a clone for the OBS nor the cricket as of just yet...Just because a product may not have high quality threads doesn't mean its a clone..Sometimes they crank them out so fast they leave a bit of quality control at the back door..I can name other authentic tanks and products that lack a bit of quality in an area or two.
I'm not absolutely certain, just suspicious. I've had crappy threads on authentic devices (cough UD cough) but these are really, really bad. As for the Noisy Cricket, it could just be they changed the potentiometer so that clockwise increases power. The problem with the battery door not making a connection with the batteries seems to be working itself out.

In any case, I'll keep these devices because any frustration they give me is offset by good performance and the niche they fill for me, even if they are clones.

Just chiming in to say that I've made at least a dozen orders with Gearbest and everything listed as authentic most certainly is.
Totally understand your questioning but I'm pretty sure Gearbest is on the level with their authentics vs. 'styled/clone' pieces.
I've made a fair number of purchases from them before and this is the first time I've ever suspected anything fishy. I'm still suspicious but until I get confirmation that anything dodgy is going on, I'll continue to shop there.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like others said, I'm betting your OBS is authentic and just suffers from a lack of quality control.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I bought a obs engine from a US site thats authentic and i have the same problem. The threading on the bottom to remove build deck is hard to get started and really crunchy. I pretty sure yours is authentic. The noisey cricket i cant comment on...

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is your engine the Rose gold model? Mine is hard to thread on too. My black engine is fine. I suspect its OBS QC.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Just an update on the devices. I am getting great performance from the OBS Engine and Noisy Cricket II 25 but the problems are still there. Luckily, I don't have rewick the OBS very often, just when the cotton loses its mojo or I use a juice that gunks up the coil. Its an amazing vape for me. The draw, the mouthpiece, the fill port, the amazing wicking system, the complete lack of leakage, it's extremely well designed. It will break my heart when those threads fail once and for all. As for the Noisy Cricket, it feels great in my hand, has tons of power in series mode, and tons of battery life in parallel mode. But every time I change out batteries I have to insert the batteries, slide on the door, several times before the thing powers on and stays on. Once its working it stays that way except for a couple times I think the cold caused it fail to make contact.

These may very be authentics but my experience was so different than what I was seeing in the reviews that I suspected these were not real McCoys. Thanks all for your input and vape therapy.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Just an update on the devices. I am getting great performance from the OBS Engine and Noisy Cricket II 25 but the problems are still there. Luckily, I don't have rewick the OBS very often, just when the cotton loses its mojo or I use a juice that gunks up the coil. Its an amazing vape for me. The draw, the mouthpiece, the fill port, the amazing wicking system, the complete lack of leakage, it's extremely well designed. It will break my heart when those threads fail once and for all. As for the Noisy Cricket, it feels great in my hand, has tons of power in series mode, and tons of battery life in parallel mode. But every time I change out batteries I have to insert the batteries, slide on the door, several times before the thing powers on and stays on. Once its working it stays that way except for a couple times I think the cold caused it fail to make contact.

These may very be authentics but my experience was so different than what I was seeing in the reviews that I suspected these were not real McCoys. Thanks all for your input and vape therapy.
Have the Noisy Cricket ii-25 waiting for me at home. have been out of town all week and haven't had the chance to try it yet. Can't wait!! got mine at FT.

VU Sponsors