Become a Patron!

Geek Vape Avocado 24 Personal Review: Thumbs Down For Me

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wanted a tank easy to build on and easy to fill and it looked like it fit the bill, plus it's gotten rave reviews from all the usual suspects. Have always used top-feeder tanks in the past, latest regulars the Subtank Mini and Lemo Drop. (Have been vaping about 4 years.)

The (authentic) Avocado 24 arrived today. I am extremely disappointed. Others might find my cons to be non-issues, but here are the main reasons I wish I would have gotten the Griffin instead. (Will allow the multitude YouTube reviews to fill in all the positives on this product since every one I watched was overflowing with praise and my opinion is def the exception to the rule from what I saw.)

1. I did not realize the block that comes for single coil mode only fits on one side of the deck, as the lever for filling keeps it from sitting flush on the opposite side. The problem is, I use an IPV4S and the way it is comfortable for me is with the fire button facing me, firing with my thumb. I imagine many people use it this way. Well, won't work with the Avacado 24 in single coil mode, as you will be tipping it the wrong way to feed juice to the single coil, so you are forced to hold the mod the opposite way. Yes, I can hold it the opposite way, but it's not nearly as comfortable or natural and I want my gear to accommodate me, not the other way around. This alone would have been a deal-breaker had I known.

2. The top section press-fits on to the deck by double o-rings. The tolerance is so tight I could barely get the thing apart, and could not press it back together evenly, even putting juice on the o-rings to make them slippery. I had to put it on the counter and press it and it still isn't pressed evenly all the way around. A PITA, plus the O-rings will wear every time you fill it. Yes, you get extra o-rings but unscrewing something is 10x easier, never wears out, and doesn't require extra parts.

3. Likewise, the SS 510 drip tip it comes with was nearly impossible to press-fit into the adapter. I ended up using my regular SS drip tip which popped in exactly like it should.

4. Filling is a PITA b/c the fill holes are small. I used a syringe without a needle and just forced the juice down in, but considering that pulling the top off is a PITA due to the tight tolerance, then the fill holes are small, it's a double whammy whenever I will go to fill it, and this makes me loathe having to refill it it before I have even been through a tankful... on top of point #1 which is the main reason I dislike it.

5. I vape DIY 100% VG juice (+few drops of saline and my flavoring has a little PG) and I do not believe a bottom feeder is a good choice for thick juice. The Lemo Drop, which I modified by drilling (2) 3mm holes in the chimney, feeds much better, has better flavor, more clouds and just generally hits better than the Avocado 24. As does the Subtank Mini RBA setup. The Avocado only produces about half as much vapor and flavor and is far less satisfying, even though the wick is optimal (not too much, not too little). It just doesn't get enough juice due to the design.

6. I like an airy tank, but I don't like noisy draws that sound like a whistle every time you take a hit. That's how the Avocado sounds with it wide open. When I close it off a little to cut down on the noise, I get a burned hit b/c the thick juice is too much for this tank.

7. Everyone in reviews raves about Velocity style decks with Allen screws. The Avocado has this type of deck. I don't know why people like it. It is so much more difficult to use an allen tool than a screwdriver, and also harder to judge (esp with soft Ni201 which is what I use) how much to tighten the screws so that it is secure without biting through. Much easier to me to wind the wire around a post and tighten down a phillips with a screwdriver that's large enough to handle easily.

I got a dripper tank in the past with a Velocity style deck and hated it but seeing so many people rave about it I thought I must be wrong and gave this one a try again. But no. I don't think it's easier (for me) and I don't prefer it. Though if I liked everything else about it, I wouldn't mind putting up with that one thing. Like if it was a top-feeder, was easy to take apart and fill, etc, I would put up with allen screws.

So there's $30 down the drain. I am really bummed that I didn't get the Griffin 25 with top airflow! YMMV.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors