Become a Patron!

General Mills, Girl Scouts Go After Makers Of Liquid Nicotine Over Trademarked Names

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This was bound to happen sooner or later. There are so many companies making so many different flavors that they are running out of unique names to describe them. The same thing has happened in the craft beer industry, just not involving candy or cereal manufacturers, it's brewery against brewery.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
These E-Liquid companies that are making products and blatantly ripping of trademarked names IMHO are just asking for trouble. For all of us!

Especially when all the little ANTZ out there carrying battle flags saying we are trying to market to children and create the next generation of vapers.

They do not want these flavors of E-Liquid to be available to our children and by extension, we adult vapers.

Heck, the other day I saw a picture of a bottle of E-Liquid where the label was damn near identical to a box of Captain Crunch cereal and I almost fell out of my freaking chair!

In the article, the mentioned a favorite flavor of mine, Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Keep on making that flavor please but call it something else, Perhaps "Toasty Cinnamon Cereal" for example. A generic name that does not violate trademarks while conveying to the vaping public what the product is supposed to taste like.

Another favorite flavor of mine is "Red Hots". Another trademarked name for a popular candy. But the place I get it from (Bulk E-Juice ) has the smarts to call the flavor "Red Dots" in their catalog of flavors.. Does that name violate trademarks? Hell no! Can someone with more than three working brain cells figure out that the flavor is supposed to taste like "Red Hots"? Hell yes.

If you are smart enough to be able to start your own E-Liquid manufacturing business and create some tasty flavors for us to enjoy, you should be smart enough to come up with a descriptive name for that flavor that won't end up with you in the courtroom.

And it't never a good idea to mess with the Girl Scouts!

End of Rant.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know, even Mt. Baker is cutting it close with "Cinnatoast Munch." ;)
I just believe if we win one battle, they're gonna come up with another. They could go to plain, black and white generic labels, but someone would claim the juice names were too enticing. Until the massive taxes start rolling in, they're gonna nit-pick us to death and make half of it up as they go. Kinda like trying to win an argument against the teacher - they're always right, even if they're wrong, because they are who they are and we are who we're not. I don't like it, but their "positions" are more or or less putting us in our "place."

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think if I were to go into the juice business now, I'd make my juice names as generic as possible, maybe even to the point of just numbering them with a general flavor description of it on the website or menu if in a B&M store to avoid these issues.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would agree with that, especially for online sales, but the restrictions for online vape shopping are unenforceable at best. You have a popup window that asks if you are 18+....yeah, okay....I am now.....;)
The pretty colors and vivid descriptions reel 'em in faster and draw attention. Black n' white labels and numbers do not. The attention-getters are also attracting the wrong audience. I just can't think of a way to control that. Kids are attracted to color from day 1. Look at their toys and food labels, the tv programming, games.....they're gonna look if it's out there to see.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would agree with that, especially for online sales, but the restrictions for online vape shopping are unenforceable at best. You have a popup window that asks if you are 18+....yeah, okay....I am now.....;)
The pretty colors and vivid descriptions reel 'em in faster and draw attention. Black n' white labels and numbers do not. The attention-getters are also attracting the wrong audience. I just can't think of a way to control that. Kids are attracted to color from day 1. Look at their toys and food labels, the tv programming, games.....they're gonna look if it's out there to see.
The one thing the ANTZ seem to forget is active parenting! A good parent doesn't need the Government to protect their children from everything.The labeling with kiddie characters and names is just begging for trouble we don't need!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is America...no parent is responsible for anything their child does.....it's the teacher's fault..the school systems fault...the cops fault...society's fault...it's never the parents fault.....you don't get elected telling the voting population to be responsible citizens.You get elected telling them that the state will solve all your problems, all you have to do is sacrifice a little bit of your freedoms and wealth.....or your neighbors freedom and wealth.
As for the kiddy advertising anyone that does it should be totally and thouroughly trashed by the vaping community.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I loathe the bearers of cutesie nazi regalia, and the evil boxes of beetus causing nomness.
the cookie mafia is not to be crossed.

High Society Supply

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think there is a line that you dont cross when it comes to knocking of labels, there has to be a distingtion between the name and label of the similiar flavored product. Its just wrong and not professional if you make your E liquid product label and name identical as a everyday product a child can pull off the shelf at a grocery store.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Especially when all the little ANTZ out there carrying battle flags saying we are trying to market to children and create the next generation of SMOKERS.

I fixed it for you.
As stupid as that sounds that is exactly what they are telling concerned parents.

By not smoking we are getting children hooked on nicotine then they will move on to smoking.

That is the most ass backwards thing since they can't even find a non smoker who started vaping and then switched to smoking.

The CDC put out a pamphlet telling people that if they vaped then smoked and now have any "smoking related" health issue (just about anything except STDs, actully HPV an STD causes mouth cancer which is blamed on tobacco so scratch that. EVEN STDS!) they would pay them $25,000 and all traveling expenses to go around state to state and on TV and scream HERE I AM, LOOK AT ME!!!

That was over a year ago and they can't even find somebody that has the balls to fake it for them! - 5150

VU Sponsors