Become a Patron!

General questions about buying my first vape?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I kind of need this question answered quickly because it's been a little while since my last cigarette and I want to figure out exactly what vape to get and order it online in time before I break down and get another pack. I want something cheap and reliable. First off, I see these vape pen kits on ebay for 12 bucks with free shipping, and I want to know if they are worth it or just some junk like you can usually get on ebay. If these are no good, what is a good vape kit for me that is 15-20$ at most, free shipping? Also, I understand that coils and atomizers must be replaced at some time. How often do they need replacement and how much do they cost? Keep in mind I don't plan to continuously puff on this vape, just get a little nicotine when I really need it. I'm concerned that I'll get a low priced vape and then find out the coils specific to that model are costly, or are coils/atomizers universal? I also want a good amount of vapor coming out, enough to satisfy my urge to smoke (I am extremely addicted, I can barely last a day). Although the battery doesn't have to have much capacity because I have usb outlets everywhere including in my truck. So just a moderately powerful battery with a small capacity. I also want to know the cheapest but best (least harmful) liquids and where to get them, as well as how long a bottle would last for someone like me. Sorry for the barrage of questions; vaping just seems so overwhelmingly confusing to me because of the recent popularity spiking variety of vapes and inundating me in options I do not understand. One more quick question: do you find yourself eventually quitting vaping after quitting smoking or are you still dependent on vaping after a while of starting it?

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU. Where are you? City, State.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Welcome fellow Chicagoan. What is your budget like? How much do you want to spend on your first starter kit and I'm sure we can find something for you.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is no perfect answer. Everyone has a different ideal of what is good for them. How much were you spending per month on cigs? That would be a better ideal of what you budget should be for a starter kit.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome to the Underground!

We are very glad to have you here.

I hate to be the one to tell you this.................

Cheap things are of little value and valuable things are not cheap.

IMHO, $20 on eBay gets you $3 worth of grade A crap.

Most likely whatever you purchase there in that price range will suck so badly that you will give up on vaping before you even get started!

And depending on your smoking habits at a minimum you are looking at $15 per month in just E-Liquid.

As far as stopping vaping after I have quit smoking?

This is a hard question at best.

I stopped smoking within 3 weeks of starting to vape.

That was a number of years ago.

Since then, I have been decreasing my nicotine levels.

Do I intend to quit vaping?

A resounding NO!

But this is just me.

I need my bits of pleasure when and where I can find them.

And vaping is indeed one of these few pleasures that I allow myself.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I actually don't spend as much on tobacco as usual smokers. For the last few months the routine has been about two packs a month, then a week of struggling, bumming off of others and having a few cigarellos, and then breaking down again and getting more cigarettes for another month. This has been going on in different ways for years. I actually never got to the point of a pack a day like regular smokers, but a pack a week at most. So you can see my prices are intermittent, but I'd like to spend around 15 bucks at most on a vape pen because I don't want to spend a lot on something I'll try quitting after a few months.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My main two questions are: a reliable 15$ vape? And are coils universal/ how much are they?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No coils are not universal. There are specific coils that will only fit the specific tanks / atties they are designed for. They can run you about $1 to $3 each depending on what you're getting. We're not talking about building your own coils, that would cost you next to nothing but just starting out you should get a good tank. For fifteen bucks you can get some type of evod tank with some type of cheap ego battery, to see if you like it before you start to invest more money. If you get it from a place that also sells juice, you can invest another $5 in a small bottle of juice. If you go through only two packs of cigs a month, a 15ml bottle of juice should also last you a month if you vape it as sparingly as you smoke. If you're doing it just to get some nic now and then, you probably want to get a higher nic level, maybe 18mg, so that you can take one or two vapes and have your nic and put it away. You'll also need a charger for your battery and that can run you a few more dollars.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
some tanks are disposable, (you can't replace the coil) Also, sounds like you should start with a low % of nicotine.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No coils are not universal. There are specific coils that will only fit the specific tanks / atties they are designed for. They can run you about $1 to $3 each depending on what you're getting. We're not talking about building your own coils, that would cost you next to nothing but just starting out you should get a good tank. For fifteen bucks you can get some type of evod tank with some type of cheap ego battery, to see if you like it before you start to invest more money. If you get it from a place that also sells juice, you can invest another $5 in a small bottle of juice. If you go through only two packs of cigs a month, a 15ml bottle of juice should also last you a month if you vape it as sparingly as you smoke. If you're doing it just to get some nic now and then, you probably want to get a higher nic level, maybe 18mg, so that you can take one or two vapes and have your nic and put it away. You'll also need a charger for your battery and that can run you a few more dollars.
Is the charger special or just a micro usb? Cause I have a lot of phone chargers laying around.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You'll need a charger that is made specific for your battery. If you get a cheap ego battery, you'll need an ego charger. If you get a mech mod that uses replaceable, rechargeable batteries, you'll need a more expensive charger compatible with that. You can't use your phone charger. Spend about $35 and get a MVP2, it will come with an iClear 30 tank and a charger, and it's variable voltage and is a great starter kit. You can get them cheap now because the more advance models are out, the MVP 20 and the MVP 3.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the price but I'm confused on the tank selections. Ce4 clearomizer 1.8 ohm, Ce5 eGo clearomizer, or Smok ebc??
Do you know how to use Google and YouTube? Do a search on the products and read about them and watch a few youtube videos explaining them and then choose which one you would like.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you know how to use Google and YouTube? Do a search on the products and read about them and watch a few youtube videos explaining them and then choose which one you would like.
I've tried that with no success finding any answers. The only question left is which of those will end up being cheapest replacing coils for?

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The smoketech RBC have replacement coils for a dollar each. I use them when I need a new/clean tank to test flavors.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've tried that with no success finding any answers. The only question left is which of those will end up being cheapest replacing coils for?
I don't know how you can claim that. YouTube was my best friend when I started vaping. You can find tutorials about anything, and it's as simple as doing a google search for how much your replacement coils are going to cost with each tank. Come on man, I'm happy to give you advice but you're going to have to do your own research. It's not rocket science.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just ordered a starter kit and juice. Thanks everybody for helping. And to reply about YouTube, I have terrible internet, so watching video reviews was not an option. Anyways, I got a starter kit from that site, a charger, and 15 ml of tobacco flavored juice, 12mg. It ended up being 25 bucks with shipping. I'll let you guys know if it's any good when I get it. Thanks!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just ordered a starter kit and juice. Thanks everybody for helping. And to reply about YouTube, I have terrible internet, so watching video reviews was not an option. Anyways, I got a starter kit from that site, a charger, and 15 ml of tobacco flavored juice, 12mg. It ended up being 25 bucks with shipping. I'll let you guys know if it's any good when I get it. Thanks!
Congrats!!! yes, please do let us know how it goes. And keep hanging out here because there are contests where you can win free stuff and always offers for cheap stuff to take advantage of. You'll learn a lot if you just hang out and talk to people.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, I kind of need this question answered quickly because it's been a little while since my last cigarette and I want to figure out exactly what vape to get and order it online in time before I break down and get another pack. I want something cheap and reliable. First off, I see these vape pen kits on ebay for 12 bucks with free shipping, and I want to know if they are worth it or just some junk like you can usually get on ebay. If these are no good, what is a good vape kit for me that is 15-20$ at most, free shipping? Also, I understand that coils and atomizers must be replaced at some time. How often do they need replacement and how much do they cost? Keep in mind I don't plan to continuously puff on this vape, just get a little nicotine when I really need it. I'm concerned that I'll get a low priced vape and then find out the coils specific to that model are costly, or are coils/atomizers universal? I also want a good amount of vapor coming out, enough to satisfy my urge to smoke (I am extremely addicted, I can barely last a day). Although the battery doesn't have to have much capacity because I have usb outlets everywhere including in my truck. So just a moderately powerful battery with a small capacity. I also want to know the cheapest but best (least harmful) liquids and where to get them, as well as how long a bottle would last for someone like me. Sorry for the barrage of questions; vaping just seems so overwhelmingly confusing to me because of the recent popularity spiking variety of vapes and inundating me in options I do not understand. One more quick question: do you find yourself eventually quitting vaping after quitting smoking or are you still dependent on vaping after a while of starting it?
I think I am a nicotine junkie...else-wise, I'd taper down my nicotine ratio...gotta have at least two habits, to stave off the others...

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You saw two people give you ideas on nicotine strength. One said go high, get it over with, and another said go low. I'm personally of the go high school. I went from two packs a day trying crap like mark tens and blus to forcing myself to roll American spirit and drum, but relapsing weekly and burning through a pack in 4 hours.
I've spent a tidy sum on gear but am proud to say it's been 6 weeks and I hate cigarettes now.
I still haven't wrapped my head around the low nic crowd other than the drippers and people who can vape all day at work or don't work. If someone is addicted to nicotine (doesn't sound like you have a typical habit though) why not give the body what it needs and worry about the nicotine later?
There is a reason why vaping has higher quit rates than traditional NRT. You can get all you want!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Truthfully, my first kit was an Imperial with the wickless atties from eBay, $21.95, I think, and that was fine to start out because I was learning and didn't want to complicate things to the point of getting frustrated and quitting. Went to another kit (mainly to have a spare battery at $11, again from eBay) and did CE4's, which are crap about every other one you use. Those cheap kits are fine for a beginner, not a big expense to test the waters. Now I know a little more and I'm investing in better stuff because I know I'm in this for life. :)

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Teresa P , Better known as THA VAPE LYFE!!!!!!:DLOL Sorry I think I took too long of a pull on my last vape.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Teresa P LOL, sorry I thought I was making that up i guess i saw it somewhere and it was hiding in my subconsciousness. I thought i was being witty.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then by all means, check it out! Got some nice coils on sale for my vivi nova....lol!

VU Sponsors