Become a Patron!

Genesis Atomizers in the year 2014 and forward -- Where do they stand?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Ryedan Wow, thanks for that link, I will definitely check it out. Always wondered how and when these came about, so looking forward to having a read!

I never used gennies until recently, before that it was all about clouds, regulated power and cotton ;)
Now, its all about flavor, unregulated and stainless steel mesh/cables, so I must be one of the few that went backwards in vaping style :D

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whew, that was a looong thread, but it was very worthwhile. Its a definite must read for genny-heads, appreciate the heads up on that topic @Ryedan

Its a very big eye opener on this genre of vaping, and must say I have the utmost respect for people like Raidy, but also the utmost contempt for some of the USA modders who are quite vocal about cloning, yet completely fail to acknowledge or credit where their so called "original" designs originated from.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whew, that was a looong thread, but it was very worthwhile. Its a definite must read for genny-heads, appreciate the heads up on that topic @Ryedan

You're welcome KKen. I'm not surprised you went through the whole thread, even as long as it is. I couldn't stop once I started it either :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first rebuildable I ever owned was a genny...and I kept buying them...I bought a dripper here and there...and I bought a kayfun.....I am and have always been a genhead and will always be one they deilver the best flavor of any style of vaping period. I have used them with ss mesh,with porous ceramic wicks ,ss cable,cotton xc-116 you name it.
when I vape tobacco flavors I use ss mesh everything else I use porous ceramic...the trend in genny is more toward high end....vaping is evolving into idiot attys...something people can throw a prewrapped coil into keep pressing a button until they get big clouds.as such there is more of a demand for a cheap easy affordable vape that has mediocre flavor and blows huge clouds,and you don't have to rebuild......flavor and the quality of the vape has taken a second seat.Even years ago most drippers never used gennys because they were to hard to build....the learning curve in setting up a ss mesh wick and coil it is the largest learning curve in vaping....and ceramic wick is even more or a learning curve....it has always been the flavor that kept you trying to perfect it.I won't lie I'm damn good at rebuilding gennys,I;ve been doing it a long time, but still it is time consumming and a pain in the ass.
As a result there are fewer demands for rebuildable attys.there are far,far fewer gennys being cloned today than there was a year ago,two years ago,three years ago.There have been some great strides in genny design and they keep getting better and better, but I think they will be a very niche market reserved for those people that have, or are willing to learn how to build on them.I fear there will be far fewer gennys cloned, and so gennys will be expensive,and hard to come by........but for genheads every other style of vaping is second best.

every six months I read a thread like this talking about the death of Gennys.....when the Kayfun first came out you had all these noobs parading around with KFLs predicting the disappearance of the genny.....not a hope.The fact of the matter is gennys are the most expensive,most sought after attys in the world they are far from dead....they are just dead to noobs,because they don't travel in the same circles as genheads,most good gennys, are not on most vaping websites but have to be bought directly from the modder.or on the website of a hanfull of high end dealers.People vaping a 35.00 sub tank don't cruise websites selling 250.00 gennys.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can say with certainty that if you drill the airflow out too wide, you will have to do the tilting since you no longer have the vacuum effect to pull juice up through the center of the mesh.

I have a Pulse G that had the airflow bored out too wide, and wouldn't wick well. When I purchased some AvidVaper airflow control tips, the restricted draw changed things like night and day.

nl4ili.jpg

If I vape the Pulse G as it is without the tip, flavor lacks quite a bit and the wick will dry out quickly if I don't keep tilting the device & pulsing the coil.

With the Avid AC tip, I found that I have to keep the fill hole closed off otherwise the coil over-wicks.
rh5uh5.jpg

Never need to tilt now, or be mindful of which direction my wick is facing.

The Nahualon is another genny that you have to keep the fill hole closed off as well. The vacuum effect is so efficient that you can vape it vertically without ever getting a dry hit.

2m7t2mc.jpg

That a crime...the Pulse-G is one of the best Gennys ever built flavor wise. drilling it out that big is criminal...it's an obscure and overlooked genny...although the reviewer Mark Todd still rates it as one of his favorite gennys. I wouldn't trade mine for any atty out there....well, maybe a nextgen, but I would get another one....and a very reasonable price.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That a crime...the Pulse-G is one of the best Gennys ever built flavor wise. drilling it out that big is criminal...it's an obscure and overlooked genny...although the reviewer Mark Todd still rates it as one of his favorite gennys. I wouldn't trade mine for any atty out there....well, maybe a nextgen, but I would get another one....and a very reasonable price.

There are many ways to set up a Genisis atty pulsevape. I enjoy them set up for max flavor or for more vapor, needing tilt or not needing tilt. As long as it vapes the way I want it to that day it's all good for me.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are many ways to set up a Genisis atty pulsevape. I enjoy them set up for max flavor or for more vapor, needing tilt or not needing tilt. As long as it vapes the way I want it to that day it's all good for me.

Although I don't perscribe to the tight draws of european gennys users and like my gennys alittle looser ....drilling out that size hole in a Pulse,you'll sacrifice flavor....if I want bigger clouds there are gennys with AFC....once you drill out a top cap your stuck with it....a great flavor genny can be turned into a mediocre steam machine by a couple of 64ths

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No right way or wrong way to vape a genisis, but I will say that if you want to experience the best and highest use out of this genre of vaping, you definitely won’t get that using cotton, low sub-ohm builds or with your airflow wide open. You can chug beer through a bong, or you can drink it out of a cold, tall glass. It’s still the same beer, but the experience is completely different ;)

Personally, for me, my entire vaping style practically changed overnight once I hit my first good genesis build. If you have been vaping for a while and losing interest with cloud chasing, or finding that you can’t get “good” flavor unless you go through massive amount of e-liquid, need extra “flavor-shots” in your juice, and/or have to fry your liquids above 30 watts, then this might just be for you.

As for European Genisis atomizers, for me, they are currently the undisputed kings in this genre by quite a wide margin IMHO :D

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is funny there are or have been great gennys made all over the world..the Philippines(the Pulse G,the Karaken) here in the US there are some very good gennys( Doc Dave's stuff, the Lon),Australia the OZ..Japan.... but yeah gennys are much more popular in europe,and cloud chasing seems to be seen as a Phillipino/American thing.....The US has produced a good number of the more popular drippers.
It seems half the countries of europe have produced a great genny.In fact it seems vaping itself is much more developed in europe. I've always been puzzled why the US which is the most innovative country in the world seems to have produced so little comparitively...I think it maybe that smoking itself and by association vaping have been so effectively rejected culturally.Although the goverments of europe are much more draconian,and repressive,than America,where we have a stronger tradition of personal freedom,it seems no matter how much the goverments try and stamp out nicotine use Europeans refuse to give up nicotine.of course europeans always had a reputation of smoking more than americans.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Lon, or Nahualon is made in Spain :)

ProVape and Evolv were the biggest innovators from the US in my opinion, but for the basics, like mechanicals or atomizers, I still think the Philippines & Europe have made a bigger impact.

I think European genisis atomizers (and some drippers like the Hellfire) are engineered to mimic smoking as close as possible, hence why the tight draw and tiny chambers to concentrate the vapor as much as possible, whereas here in US, I think demand is to move away as much as possible from any resemblance to smoking, but just my best guess though ;)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Lon, or Nahualon is made in Spain :)

ProVape and Evolv were the biggest innovators from the US in my opinion, but for the basics, like mechanicals or atomizers, I still think the Philippines & Europe have made a bigger impact.

I think European genisis atomizers (and some drippers like the Hellfire) are engineered to mimic smoking as close as possible, hence why the tight draw and tiny chambers to concentrate the vapor as much as possible, whereas here in US, I think demand is to move away as much as possible from any resemblance to smoking, but just my best guess though ;)

Where did you get the idea the Lon was made in Spain...I'm pretty sure it's made around Tuscon Arizona. it's an american atty.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might be right, was never 100% sure but was told that by a local B&M owner (and also read it somewhere else when I tried to find out more about it when I got the atty)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Urqidez is machinist who made surgical implements before he started modding. he worked at a company called prescision machining and manufacturing.He's a latino ,but he's an american.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyway, just to get back to the OP's topic, I think Genesis atomizers are initially viewed as old school/old tech or obsolete because the majority of “mainstream” vapers equate good quality based first on the aspect of being able to produce tons of vapor. That said, even with all the new advancements and innovations made over the years, the Genisis atomizer still provides the most intense and flavorful vape experience you will be able to experience, something you can easily achieve without any need for high wattage or low sub ohm builds. That alone I think is pretty good reason to give it a try ;)

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anyway, just to get back to the OP's topic, I think Genesis atomizers are initially viewed as old school/old tech or obsolete because the majority of “mainstream” vapers equate good quality based first on the aspect of being able to produce tons of vapor. That said, even with all the new advancements and innovations made over the years, the Genisis atomizer still provides the most intense and flavorful vape experience you will be able to experience, something you can easily achieve without any need for high wattage or low sub ohm builds. That alone I think is pretty good reason to give it a try ;)
So very true. I just got a In'Ax Mk2r and i think this is game over for me. This genny is a beast! If you havent tried this yet, i suggest you do. 2.5ml tank, easy to fill even with a glass pipette and practically leak-proof.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah the IN"AX has a great rep, but I think the nextgen is going to blow it out of the water. I think the glass tank,the wicking is said to be better,and the naval brass center post,and larger juice capacity....are all good improvments of the in'ax design.I had always wished the in'ax had had a glass tank.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's funny I've actually gone into b&m with my gennys and had people actually say ..".Oh wow old school"....these damn sub ohm tanks are gonna wind up making even dripping old school.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Every sub tank i have tried has been a disappointment. Even the best of them are lightyears way from the flavor and performance that i get from RTAs like Lemo, or Billow, and those two are far from the flavor that i get from a good genny. Gennys can be difficult at first, but oh so rewarding once you get it right. And you can use the same setup for like three months.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So very true. I just got a In'Ax Mk2r and i think this is game over for me. This genny is a beast! If you havent tried this yet, i suggest you do. 2.5ml tank, easy to fill even with a glass pipette and practically leak-proof.

That seems to be the general sentiment from In'Ax owners. I'm intrigued by the center post design, would love to try one but no one I know has one yet. I agree on the glass tank though, being able to see my juice level is important b/c I re-fill my Sat22 once every 2-3 days, depending on how often I vape it. If I was a heavier vaper, I don't think the glass would bother me as much since I could just re-fill it every day.

Every sub tank i have tried has been a disappointment. Even the best of them are lightyears way from the flavor and performance that i get from RTAs like Lemo, or Billow, and those two are far from the flavor that i get from a good genny. Gennys can be difficult at first, but oh so rewarding once you get it right. And you can use the same setup for like three months.

Funny thing about subtanks is these are actually very expensive tanks to have; not only will you be going through 2, 3 or more times the amount of juice, but the cost of the replacement coils can add up quickly, easily over $200 a year for many!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
All I can say is WOW. There is a ton of info in this thread. I have a couple of Z-Attys for my HoH gear, and I LOVE them, except that they are NOT pocket friendly in the least. I carry all my gear around in my pockets, so NOT leaking all over me is CRITICAL. I never did find a great way to coil/wick them, tried SS mesh, steel cable, Ekowool, etc ... even with my mediocre builds I have to say the flavor is head and shoulders above my Russians and Kayfuns. If they were pocket friendly, I would still use them today.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All I can say is WOW. There is a ton of info in this thread. I have a couple of Z-Attys for my HoH gear, and I LOVE them, except that they are NOT pocket friendly in the least. I carry all my gear around in my pockets, so NOT leaking all over me is CRITICAL. I never did find a great way to coil/wick them, tried SS mesh, steel cable, Ekowool, etc ... even with my mediocre builds I have to say the flavor is head and shoulders above my Russians and Kayfuns. If they were pocket friendly, I would still use them today.
#200 Super Fine, 30 or 29 gauge and 3/4 wraps never fails.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
#200 Super Fine, 30 or 29 gauge and 3/4 wraps never fails.
That's almost exactly what I tried for a couple of builds ... #200 Super Fine, 30 gauge, Ekowool sleeve on top, 3/4 wraps at 1ohm. Loved it, and the Ekowool sleeve almost solved the leaking problem. I need a leak proof genny ... like that exists ... LOL!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

for flavor nothing beats porous ceramic wicks, but ss mesh is probablly the next best...there are lots of diffrent wick styles and the mesh size will depend alot on the juice you use...if you vape high VG juices or high PG juices. just keep experimenting with mesh size and wick styles till you find something that works for the juice and style you like to vape at.....Z attys ....now those really are old school,genny designs have come a long way since then.also wick builds have come along way since Zen's set up.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's almost exactly what I tried for a couple of builds ... #200 Super Fine, 30 gauge, Ekowool sleeve on top, 3/4 wraps at 1ohm. Loved it, and the Ekowool sleeve almost solved the leaking problem. I need a leak proof genny ... like that exists ... LOL!
In'ax mk2r ;)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah there are some near leak proof gennys...I think the nextgen looks pretty leak proof....I don't know...gennys have that reputation of being leaky, but honestly it never was an issue for me. I think they are alot less leaky than drippers....you know when you were a smoker you always had an awareness of where the coal of your cigarette was, so you didn't set fire to stuff or burn yourself or other people....I just have that awareness of not laying my genny down on it;s side ....

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
for flavor nothing beats porous ceramic wicks, but ss mesh is probablly the next best...there are lots of diffrent wick styles and the mesh size will depend alot on the juice you use...if you vape high VG juices or high PG juices. just keep experimenting with mesh size and wick styles till you find something that works for the juice and style you like to vape at.....Z attys ....now those really are old school,genny designs have come a long way since then.also wick builds have come along way since Zen's set up.
Yeah, technology changes everything. The z-atty is def old school, but I like them a lot. Mine are all Z2 threaded so they give my ZNA and Zenesis mechs a nice clean hybrid setup. Build quality is exceptional too. It's really just the damn leaking that I don't like about them. I have and use Russians and Kayfuns because of this. I do occasionally use them at home in the evenings, but not a lot, nowhere near as much as I used to!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Yeah there are some near leak proof gennys...I think the nextgen looks pretty leak proof....I don't know...gennys have that reputation of being leaky, but honestly it never was an issue for me. I think they are alot less leaky than drippers....you know when you were a smoker you always had an awareness of where the coal of your cigarette was, so you didn't set fire to stuff or burn yourself or other people....I just have that awareness of not laying my genny down on it;s side ....
Yeah, awareness is critical with a genny. My problem is that I drop them in my pocket unconsciously, and when I sit down, game over... LOL

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, technology changes everything. The z-atty is def old school, but I like them a lot. Mine are all Z2 threaded so they give my ZNA and Zenesis mechs a nice clean hybrid setup. Build quality is exceptional too. It's really just the damn leaking that I don't like about them. I have and use Russians and Kayfuns because of this. I do occasionally use them at home in the evenings, but not a lot, nowhere near as much as I used to!

Yeah well, kayfuns are pretty idiot proof...I just never liked limp wicks...I even used to build ceramic wicks for my kayfun it was a real good vape, honestly other than my gennys a ceramic wick in a kayfun was my favorite vape. but i just like the vape I get off a genny and put up with it's drawbacks....take a look at the nextgen..at this point it is near impossible to get one,but who knows.....I've tried lots a drippers they just don't do it for me.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, RDA’s don’t really do it for me either anymore, but recently got my hands on a Hellfire UFO dripper, and tried it with some mesh @ around 1.ohm; mouth to lung draw. this sort of renewed my interest with dripping, so switched over to cotton & standard microcoil at around .7ohms to see how it compares.

24y7di0.jpg

Didn't notice that much more vapor production given the lower resistance, but there was a noticeable flavor reduction, so went back to mesh again which is easier to maintain, and not having to run it below 1ohm to get better performance works out even better for me too. Going to try fool around and see if larger diameter slug or different gauge wire makes any difference.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, RDA’s don’t really do it for me either anymore, but recently got my hands on a Hellfire UFO dripper, and tried it with some mesh @ around 1.ohm; mouth to lung draw. this sort of renewed my interest with dripping, so switched over to cotton & standard microcoil at around .7ohms to see how it compares.

24y7di0.jpg

Didn't notice that much more vapor production given the lower resistance, but there was a noticeable flavor reduction, so went back to mesh again which is easier to maintain, and not having to run it below 1ohm to get better performance works out even better for me too. Going to try fool around and see if larger diameter slug or different gauge wire makes any difference.
Well

Well yeah it's a hellfire.....plus with mesh dripping is a whole nother thing...the other dripper I'd like to try is the one made by garage of creation the I-dripper....I like dripping with mesh for whatever reason when you dry burn the wick it seems to work better than when you try and dry burn a mesh wick on a genny...I have a magma kicking around here, and I've been meaning to put dual mesh wicks in it.....hellfires especailly the drippers are kinda hard to come by they get snatched up pretty quick, the other hellfire I'd like to try is the shorty but i'm not sure they make them anymore. I bet that dripper vapes pretty nice.
To tell you the truth I've always avoided hellfires because all the pretentious hype surrounding them by the la de da high end english vapers that pretend the only atty worth having is a hellfire....It's just bigotry on my part and I should give them a try.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried a longer piece of mesh rolled a little tighter to the same diameter this time, found it wicks even better than before, and overall vapor comes across a lot juicer this time. The sweet or fruity juices really pops now, I’m quite impressed with the massive difference this has over cotton and microcoils.

rum9cdv.jpg

Wasn’t aware of the La Di Da-ism on the UK forums, I actually got mine locally. Didn’t know anything about it other than it was built for flavor and looked really nice, so grabbed it right away. Funny thing was I didn’t even know it was a 20mm until I tried putting it on my MCR mod.

Speaking of which, anyone here ever try or use a 20mm genisis atomizer? I’m finding that I am starting to prefer the thinner profile of a 20mm over 22mm. MCR mods is having a sale on the revised 303 genny, not sure if I dig the look of the delrin on the top though, but interesting nonetheless.

BTW, cant find anything on the GOC i-dripper, is that something new coming out?

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sorry about that had a brain fart.....the H-dripper not the I dripper from GOC....Not all english forums are such hellfire fanboys,just one in particular....I attribute it to nationalisim, it seems the only attys they like are either hellfires or RSM attys.
Yeah mesh is a great wick for flavor...but it's a pain...most of the new generation of vapers will never even try an atty with mesh. The other day I needed some mesh,and I called around to 6 diffrent B&M shops and not a single one of them carried mesh anymore.A year ago they would have had at least a few sheets laying around.I've tried most of the cottons,I use KGD,hemp,raime,rayon,but I just don't care for the vape, and it sucks,because it is so much easier,so much faster,so much cheaper than using stiff wicks.
I never tried a 20mm genny,I've tried 16mm...didn't really care for them....

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, thought that might be an improved H-Atty coming out soon ;)

Biggest pain with the slug was getting it to curve right, sort of a guess and check method for me still since I just started doing this, but once you have it made, its quite easy to wrap the coil and set it. And once set, this is a wick and wire that's going to last you a really long time. Changing flavors is super easy, you can go from a dark, thick custardy juice to a light, thin fruity vape and right back again with no conflict with the flavor or need to change out the wick.

That said, I cant go back to cotton anymore. I have to drop the resistance considerably lower to try match the flavor, have to keep changing it often and it just doesn't let the flavors come out well. The more I use my genisis and now my new mesh dripper, the more I don't like the KF4 anymore LOL

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I told my bud KKen that I would pics of my latest Genesis style acquisition, the Windrose Aquilo 22 by Magnetic Mods in Poland.

This atty is stunning, and top notch quality. The specs regarding the max air flow are a little deceptive because the air holes are slightly obstructed by design. I don't have any build pics, just the unboxing of it :)

bzSlBhd.jpg

SlAd3a6.jpg

The flavor produced is very good, but not as good as my OZ22 which is my best flavor producing Genny at the moment. But the Aquilo 22 does produce more vapor ..

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a real beauty, amazingly well presented too. I mentioned to Nikkita6 that its almost a shame to have to fill that tank up with greasy e-liquid LOL

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Old thread, but I'm new here :) So I thought I'd share a bit...

I had an AGA-T a while back, and it was a well done Genny, IMO. But I had a lot of issues with hot spots and such so I sold it and went back to carto tanks for a while. Back then I was doing wraps with 32AWG wire, and it was a big fat mess... We weren't really doing subohm at the time, and nobody had done microcoils yet, not for another year or so.

Fast forward a bit, and I got a Kayfun Lite+. Around that time is when the original RSST came out. I thought that was a genius design, with the wick hole and bottom being insulated so you can't ground out the wick. So I got one...

And when the Pyrex RSST came out, I got 2 of those...

I gotta be honest, as cheap and crappy as they are compared to other Genny's on the market, the RSST provides a solid vape experience. I have 3 caps, all drilled a bit different from a relatively tight draw to a loose draw depending on the flavor and build I am running.

I still prefer the simplicity, flavor, and insane wicking I get from using SS Cable. I do believe I am using a 7/64" marine grade non galvanized 316 stainless cable. It really is pretty awesome. I tried using 400 SS Mesh around the top of the wick at first, but found that wrapping the top with a thin layer of Japanese organic cotton didn't diminish the flavor, and held juice on the coil better.

I now use a 24AWG NiChrome microcoil at roughly .5 Ohms on my SXmini, and it's been fantastic. I use it mostly for NET juices, and it's got the cleanest, most intense flavor of any atty I own (Kayfuns, various RDA's, Subtank Mini, the list goes on).

Here is a pic of my build:

F15E48E1-DD5A-444F-B5C9-95A408B8F37E_zpsoplmnxhq.jpg

Sure, it's ugly... LoL... But I'm not out to win any beauty contests, and the vape is incredible for the price I paid! The flavor of ANY well built Genny is going to be hard to beat, even the cheap RSST! :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Old thread, but I'm new here :) So I thought I'd share a bit...

I had an AGA-T a while back, and it was a well done Genny, IMO. But I had a lot of issues with hot spots and such so I sold it and went back to carto tanks for a while. Back then I was doing wraps with 32AWG wire, and it was a big fat mess... We weren't really doing subohm at the time, and nobody had done microcoils yet, not for another year or so.

Fast forward a bit, and I got a Kayfun Lite+. Around that time is when the original RSST came out. I thought that was a genius design, with the wick hole and bottom being insulated so you can't ground out the wick. So I got one...

And when the Pyrex RSST came out, I got 2 of those...

I gotta be honest, as cheap and crappy as they are compared to other Genny's on the market, the RSST provides a solid vape experience. I have 3 caps, all drilled a bit different from a relatively tight draw to a loose draw depending on the flavor and build I am running.

I still prefer the simplicity, flavor, and insane wicking I get from using SS Cable. I do believe I am using a 7/64" marine grade non galvanized 316 stainless cable. It really is pretty awesome. I tried using 400 SS Mesh around the top of the wick at first, but found that wrapping the top with a thin layer of Japanese organic cotton didn't diminish the flavor, and held juice on the coil better.

I now use a 24AWG NiChrome microcoil at roughly .5 Ohms on my SXmini, and it's been fantastic. I use it mostly for NET juices, and it's got the cleanest, most intense flavor of any atty I own (Kayfuns, various RDA's, Subtank Mini, the list goes on).

Here is a pic of my build:

F15E48E1-DD5A-444F-B5C9-95A408B8F37E_zpsoplmnxhq.jpg

Sure, it's ugly... LoL... But I'm not out to win any beauty contests, and the vape is incredible for the price I paid! The flavor of ANY well built Genny is going to be hard to beat, even the cheap RSST! :)

Who is stupid enough to vape NETs with a genny...other than me....you must be the other guy....why do we do it? NETs foul builds up so quickly it would be so easy to just drip them.......so much easier to rebuild.....idiots. It's wierd enough vaping a genny nowdays,but vaping NETs in a genny puts us in a whole other category of eccentrics.....

The RSST/clone of the AC-9 came out way before the Kayfun....I also cut my teeth on all the aga gennys.Yes they had the reputation of being hard to build on and hotspots, but if you could learn to build on them you could build on any genny..... I think I owned most of them at one time or another, T2,T3 were my favorites.....and the RSST...which I have always hated....before they came out with the various chamber reducers for the rsst...it just had this huge chamber and the flavor wasn't as good as other gennys.....however if you build them low,and get a fast wick that bigger chamber can be a plus...it's a balancing act.Your right in my opinion even a cheap well built genny gives better flavor than any other type of atty.
To be honest on the other exttreme the tiny chamber gennys don't impress me that much...stuff like the Sat22,the Lon,or the tiny 16mm gennys..I just don't really like the vape as much as a sort of middle ground atty...ones with smaller chambers but not tiny chambers.
Back in those days there weren't many high end gennys...Zen,RSM,and the fogatti.....it took me awhile to justify the price of a high-end genny,and all my vaping buddies with AGA-T2s and RSSTs ribbed me for months for spending 150.00 on a genny....but it was worth it...
Still today some of the guys I know who started out on the rssts and agas still use them...and they are some of the most experinced vapers I've known,and most inventive....for me the mid ranged gennys are still my favorites....the PulseG and the stormrider v2 are still favorites.

Last edited:

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Who is stupid enough to vape NETs with a genny...other than me....you must be the other guy....why do we do it? NETs foul builds up so quickly it would be so easy to just drip them.......so much easier to rebuild.....idiots. It's wierd enough vaping a genny nowdays,but vaping NETs in a genny puts us in a whole other category of eccentrics.....

LoL! Yeah, I hear ya... Oddly enough I don't get a lot of build up on my coils, but I do need to change the cotton layer between the coil and the wick every 5-6 tanks.

I just find the flavor of NET's from a genny to be much more clean and robust than dripping. Complex vapes deserve a genny... They NEED a genny... heh

Heck, maybe we are the only ones?

I never liked the RSST with high ohm builds. But this .5 build with the steel cable wick pours out vapor in a hurry, so the large chamber isn't too bad. But, like you said, are the reduced chambers really THAT much better?

I have quite a few open chamber RDA's and some reduced chamber RDA's, and the flavor on the reduced chamber atty's, while better, isn't so much better that I want to jump over the moon or anything...

Now that you mention it, I believe I did get the original RSST (with the poly tank) before I got my KFL. That's been quite a long time ago... I got the RSST at the same time I got a Magneto. Now I rock the RSST on either my SXmini or an authentic Stingray X... LoL Cheap atty's on expensive mods... Love it

I remember the DID being a pretty popular genny back in the day... Back when the Z-Atty was popular

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah the DID was a must have... never got one...everybody raved about the did..same,same..I still know guys who own expensive crap,and they still have their did...actually Mark Todd the reviewer has always said the G-bell is one of the best gennys he's tried......and the G-bell is like 60.00.

Yes,yes,nailed it ...gennys are the only atty that does justice to complex juices,and let's face it the tobaccos especailly the cigar and pipes can have many many nuances.So, whose NETs do you vape....I've tried alot,and for the last 3 months I've been making my own NET extracts and mixing them with other flavors.

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never cared for the original DID cause of the screw on cap. I was always afraid the air hole wouldn't line up with the wick. Probably an unfounded fear, but it was always something that bothered me.

As far as NET's go, I'm a big fan of the NET's from Heather's Heavenly Vapes. So far I've tried Legend, Heavenly Army, Serendipity, and Dragon's Fire... They have all been outstanding. Excellent cigar and pipe tobacco flavors. They have a pretty big selection of NET's too, something for everyone.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
have you tried www.NETs.com clay packard makes them ...they are excellent I highly recommend them....Raven cut, has had great feedback....I have a stormrider from steamboy.it has a threaded top cap,and that thing nuts down smack in front of the wick everytime.But your fear was not totally unfounded...I remember a couple of gennys with threaed top caps where it was an issue and people were slipping O rings on them to be able to line up their wickholes.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
That's a real beauty, amazingly well presented too. I mentioned to Nikkita6 that its almost a shame to have to fill that tank up with greasy e-liquid LOL

You have told no lies .. you should see me frantically trying to wipe evaporation off this dang thing ... its so shiny and beautiful like a little jewel. :)

Very happy with the vape quality overall .. the annoyance is when the evaporated eliquid accumulates around the air holes and your hear the weezing. This is the one thing that I wish Gennie designers could figure out a fix for. As it is I occasionally remove the top cap and use some vapor towel to clean it up.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never cared for the original DID cause of the screw on cap. I was always afraid the air hole wouldn't line up with the wick. Probably an unfounded fear, but it was always something that bothered me.

As far as NET's go, I'm a big fan of the NET's from Heather's Heavenly Vapes. So far I've tried Legend, Heavenly Army, Serendipity, and Dragon's Fire... They have all been outstanding. Excellent cigar and pipe tobacco flavors. They have a pretty big selection of NET's too, something for everyone.

I'm not a fan of tobacco vapes, but then again, I was never a fan of genisis tanks before either, so just ordered the Legend to give it a try. :)
I think it will do well in the mesh dripper since gunking is really a non-issue with those setups.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not a fan of tobacco vapes, but then again, I was never a fan of genisis tanks before either, so just ordered the Legend to give it a try. :)
I think it will do well in the mesh dripper since gunking is really a non-issue with those setups.
how is gunking a non-issue for a dripper with a mesh wick? NETs are great but they gunk even drippers.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its just easier to pulse out the gunk, only takes a few seconds to clear whenever I want it fresh, no need to empty a tank.

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Legend is a fantastic vape... When you get it, keep in mind that this is a juice that needs a healthy amount of steep time.

Some people love them right out of the box, but the flavors really start to pop after steeping for 3-4 weeks.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its just easier to pulse out the gunk, only takes a few seconds to clear whenever I want it fresh, no need to empty a tank.
Yeah thats the way most people vape NETs...actually today I am going to filter an extract I made it's been steeping for a month now.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Legend is a fantastic vape... When you get it, keep in mind that this is a juice that needs a healthy amount of steep time.

Some people love them right out of the box, but the flavors really start to pop after steeping for 3-4 weeks.

OK, will take note of that, thanks for the heads up. Dammit though, was looking forward to vaping this right away, my first tobacco based vape, ever...

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For Sale or Trade: New BF99 Style Genesis Atomizer

This has been sitting around unused because of other atty projects. Offering it here first. Open to trade offers. PM me if you are interested.

$15 through PP including USPS First Class shipping.

Screenshot 2015-06-01 at 1.06.20 PM.png
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1926002

IMAG0518_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors