Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Since everyone here already knows that I am a Cranky OLD Fart I may as well prove it.

Unlike most people I have been told, I have spotty yet Very Vivid Memories from when I was very young.

Like playing on one of those Old Fashioned Knitted Yarn Rugs while my Grandparents and Parents listened to the old radio shows on the Victrola.

The kids must have remembered my talking about it this Christmas....

And it came with a rather long list of Podcast where I could listen to the old radio greats Like George and Gracy, Fibber McGee and Molly and The Shadow!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My mother's youngest brother still had their parents' big free-standing radio when I was a kid. It worked, sort of, but would only pick up the more powerful radio stations that were broadcasting out of larger cities. I remember sitting in the floor in front of it sometimes while my uncle would mess with the dials to try to get stations tuned in better. By that time, though, it was mostly music on the radio. I don't remember hearing any of the "talk" programs.

Both TVs and radios were a million miles away from the technology we have now. It seems almost impossible to believe the advances that have happened in my lifetime. I've thought a lot about my mother, too, in that same way - she was born in 1931 and passed in 2013. She was in her teens before they had electricity in the house. I can't imagine the culture shock she must have felt by the time she got to be 80 years old.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since everyone here already knows that I am a Cranky OLD Fart I may as well prove it.

Unlike most people I have been told, I have spotty yet Very Vivid Memories from when I was very young.

Like playing on one of those Old Fashioned Knitted Yarn Rugs while my Grandparents and Parents listened to the old radio shows on the Victrola.

And it came with a rather long list of Podcast where I could listen to the old radio greats Like George and Gracy, Fibber McGee and Molly and The Shadow!
That is SO cool :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It probably doesn't sound nearly as excellent as a speed controlled VPI Scout with a Trans-Fi Terminator but it does play vinyl so it should still sound much better than a CD player.

And I still have a HUGE box of Vinyl to go through and play.

Where to begin? Emerson, Lake and Palmer I think!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Very cool.
For some reason I pictured this your era!
images (32).jpeg
You are obviously younger than my mental picture gives you credit for.

Great gift by the way! ?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's an awesome gift. Sometimes I see the old turntables and tv's in cabinets at antique or thrift stores, for being 'old' tech there's something nostalgic and beautiful about them.

My grandmother had one like this, was a victrola though don't remember the model. Also can't remember if it was electric as well as crank, it had the crank and a black fluted horn on it like this. Still worked, she'd play old records on it sometimes. Thing fascinated me as a kid.
IMG_2252_l.jpg

VU Sponsors