Become a Patron!

Good Eats

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The chives will probably be next, they're pretty quick. Oregano seemed to take forever to germinate, but once it does, it grows pretty quickly. Dunno about the others, I haven't grown them. What's in the top-right pot, I can't see a sign in it. If it's basil, that's pretty quick too.

My favorite things to grow are probably marigolds and zinnias; they germinate FAST and pop right up like nobody's business!

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The chives will probably be next, they're pretty quick. Oregano seemed to take forever to germinate, but once it does, it grows pretty quickly. Dunno about the others, I haven't grown them. What's in the top-right pot, I can't see a sign in it. If it's basil, that's pretty quick too.

My favorite things to grow are probably marigolds and zinnias; they germinate FAST and pop right up like nobody's business!

Andria

Those would be the garlic chives. I do have basil in there, though.

Need to figure out what to put in the front of the house. We've just cleared a space for a garden where a bunch of ugly crap has been since we moved in. I have a packet of wild flower seeds that are good for honey bees, but not sure if there's enough for the whole space. Will probably just go to the huge garden center close by and see what they've got and recommend. Preferably, more honey bee stuff. Need more honey bees in the world. :)

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
18274809_1902144513364709_1656457704694650507_n.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Need to figure out what to put in the front of the house. We've just cleared a space for a garden where a bunch of ugly crap has been since we moved in. I have a packet of wild flower seeds that are good for honey bees, but not sure if there's enough for the whole space. Will probably just go to the huge garden center close by and see what they've got and recommend. Preferably, more honey bee stuff. Need more honey bees in the world. :)

Amen to save the bees, I'd rather NOT have a worldwide famine! I have a border in front; the stars are various red roses -- some KnockOuts, a Mr. Lincoln hybrid tea that's almost 20 yrs old, been moved 3-4 times, and still lives, though it doesn't flower much anymore, I tbhink it's pretty much worn out. And another red one with the extra-extra-double flowers, like deep cups, deep red, a David Austin rose -- I had a white one of those, Winchester Cathedral, and it was simply amazing, so I'm hoping this new red one does well. If I bother with any annuals around the roses, I plant those deep-purple petunias and brilliant yellow marigolds in several heights, from 6" to about 12" tall. I love the purple petunias passionately, and the red plus gold makes that purple POP! :D

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Amen to save the bees, I'd rather NOT have a worldwide famine! I have a border in front; the stars are various red roses -- some KnockOuts, a Mr. Lincoln hybrid tea that's almost 20 yrs old, been moved 3-4 times, and still lives, though it doesn't flower much anymore, I tbhink it's pretty much worn out. And another red one with the extra-extra-double flowers, like deep cups, deep red, a David Austin rose -- I had a white one of those, Winchester Cathedral, and it was simply amazing, so I'm hoping this new red one does well. If I bother with any annuals around the roses, I plant those deep-purple petunias and brilliant yellow marigolds in several heights, from 6" to about 12" tall. I love the purple petunias passionately, and the red plus gold makes that purple POP! :D

Andria

I like the idea of a wildflower mix, things just growing all jumbled up together. :) Got the packet from General Mills. It was a promotion for a free packet sponsored by the Honey Nut Cheerios folks. I might just look for another packet of mixed wildflowers. It's said they're easy to grow and are very pretty. It'll help shut my MIL up about the yard being ugly, too. :teehee:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the idea of a wildflower mix, things just growing all jumbled up together. :) Got the packet from General Mills. It was a promotion for a free packet sponsored by the Honey Nut Cheerios folks. I might just look for another packet of mixed wildflowers. It's said they're easy to grow and are very pretty. It'll help shut my MIL up about the yard being ugly, too. :teehee:
yeah when the Califronia poppies start to bloom along the side of the road they are hard to beat.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

What kind of sun do you have there?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What kind of sun do you have there?

Is that a trick question? :) Same one as you, I would imagine. It's been overcast and rainy lately, as well as pretty cool. Today is sunny but too cool for me to feel comfortable putting them out again, so they're in the bay window instead.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He might mean the orientation of your house to the sun. :giggle:

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Is that a trick question? :) Same one as you, I would imagine. It's been overcast and rainy lately, as well as pretty cool. Today is sunny but too cool for me to feel comfortable putting them out again, so they're in the bay window instead.

No silly buns. Just trying to figure out what kind of plants would be happy in that location.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No silly buns. Just trying to figure out what kind of plants would be happy in that location.

The sun passes along the south side of our house. It's pretty direct sunlight in the front yard until about 1-2pm-ish, then the shadows start covering everything.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The sun passes along the south side of our house. It's pretty direct sunlight in the front yard until about 1-2pm-ish, then the shadows start covering everything.

And the sun exposures on the south and north will change pretty drastically with the season -- right now, it's roughly equal on both sides, but in summer, the north will get far more sun, and vice-versa in the winter.

I had to become acquainted with this because my raised-bed vegetable garden was on the north side; in the winter, you wouldn't have dreamed that a vegetable garden would grow there.... but in the summer? Sunny pretty much all day.

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Ok. Are you shooting for this to be a flower bed only kind of thing?

If the wild flower seed is a perennial mix, how about planting some bulbs to kick the bed off early in the season? I will love you forever if you plant some hyacinth bulbs. :) Lotsa bulbs to choose from.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok. Are you shooting for this to be a flower bed only kind of thing?

If the wild flower seed is a perennial mix, how about planting some bulbs to kick the bed off early in the season? I will love you forever if you plant some hyacinth bulbs. :) Lotsa bulbs to choose from.

We saved some bulbs from the reaping. About two dozen or so are grape hyacinths, I believe (although I could be wrong about the type). And we also saved some daffodils. Hopefully, some will take to the replanting. Since it's in the front yard along the front of the house, we are going for strictly flowers. The hyacinths are lining the front of the bed, daffodils on the sides, and the wild flower mix will fill in the rest. :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cheap pork rib bbq.
1 medium to large sweet onion. 25 cents.
1 bottle of whatever bbq sauce you like. mine was 98 cents.
1 can of pineapple... again 98 cents.
1 package of pork riblets 1.28 a lb. 8 lbs I know I could have gone smaller.

Slice onion and put in bottom of crockpot.
Add riblets to cover, bbq sauce rinse and repeat until pot is full.
Cover that bitch and put it on low and keep your booger hooks off of it.

Going for 4-8 hours depending on how fall apart awesome you want it.
Last hour add pineapple and juice.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
We saved some bulbs from the reaping. About two dozen or so are grape hyacinths, I believe (although I could be wrong about the type). And we also saved some daffodils. Hopefully, some will take to the replanting. Since it's in the front yard along the front of the house, we are going for strictly flowers. The hyacinths are lining the front of the bed, daffodils on the sides, and the wild flower mix will fill in the rest. :)

I like the idea of it being two completely different beds at different times. A bulb planting turning into a wild flower bed is quite the change. Not sure in this case if I would be too formal with the bulb planting though.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Cheap pork rib bbq.
1 medium to large sweet onion. 25 cents.
1 bottle of whatever bbq sauce you like. mine was 98 cents.
1 can of pineapple... again 98 cents.
1 package of pork riblets 1.28 a lb. 8 lbs I know I could have gone smaller.

Slice onion and put in bottom of crockpot.
Add riblets to cover, bbq sauce rinse and repeat until pot is full.
Cover that bitch and put it on low and keep your booger hooks off of it.

Going for 4-8 hours depending on how fall apart awesome you want it.
Last hour add pineapple and juice.

I do this too but throw together a sauce with what's on hand: Catchup, dark molasses, brown sugar, celery seed, garlic etc. I'll throw in some cheap chicken parts too - what the hell plenty of space left in the crock pot we have

Technically not barbecue but who cares? The fall apart pork is awesome.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like the idea of it being two completely different beds at different times. A bulb planting turning into a wild flower bed is quite the change. Not sure in this case if I would be too formal with the bulb planting though.

I have a flower bed like that around my mailbox -- we had to dig up the iris rhizomes because the damn irises would fall over and get run over by the mail truck, but there were daffys in there too; we saved the daffs and planted them with good spacing, and in between the daffs, we planted daylilies; so early spring, the daffs start coming up, and then start flowering just around the time the daylilies are first starting to poke thru the ground; by the time the daffs are done, the daylily plants are a good size, and it won't be much longer now till they're in bloom. :) Some later-flowering daffs would be good to add, but it's hard to get the timing just right, where I am -- we're in zone 7 but right on the line of zones 7 and 8, with microclimates that are more zone 8 than 7 in spots. So the timing can sometimes be really outta whack, like this year's VERY early spring. I was afraid the dogwoods would all be brown, as happens sometimes with a very early spring and then a late frost, but only a few were affected, most are beautiful white.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm loving my herb garden. It's great watching them start to sprout and grow. So far, the savory, marjoram, thyme, sage, basil and mustard have all started to grow. I've got them outside soaking up the sun again. Can't wait til I can just leave them outside once we stop having frost advisories every damn night. :D

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do this too but throw together a sauce with what's on hand: Catchup, dark molasses, brown sugar, celery seed, garlic etc. I'll throw in some cheap chicken parts too - what the hell plenty of space left in the crock pot we have

Technically not barbecue but who cares? The fall apart pork is awesome.
Toss a scoop or three over rice and peppers.

I got plenty of chicken, went pork since it was a 1.80 cheaper per pound. hell I think I could find 98 cent a pound pork.
Normally pork kills my kidneys but this stuff is clean and have no issues. and RIBs!!

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will love you forever if you plant some hyacinth bulbs.
you have to love me forever regardless!! :p

And we also saved some daffodils.
love daffodils, and tulips and daisies. They just seem so cheerful

I'm loving my herb garden. It's great watching them start to sprout and grow. So far, the savory, marjoram, thyme, sage, basil and mustard have all started to grow
kewl! We still have only one jalapeno on our plant, but several blooms. Haven't kilt it yet, so that's good news. :D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Always read the directions on the back of the little frozen boxes BEFORE you remove the top of the carton.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Take a pic of instructions ;) before throwing away :teehee:

I can't tell you how many times I read and re-read instructions and measurements, even for things I've made numerous times before. And I've learned to go through all of the ingredients and steps after I'm done to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. That's how bad my memory is. :giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't tell you how many times I read and re-read instructions and measurements, even for things I've made numerous times before. And I've learned to go through all of the ingredients and steps after I'm done to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. That's how bad my memory is. :giggle:

It's probably stress-related, from the Dementor. ;) Just leave the box lying on the counter until you're done making whatever -- I do that sometimes, even if my husband comes along and says things like "don't you ever throw away ANYTHING?" He's learned, from my rabid-dog reaction, to leave me alone while I'm cooking. ;)

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
lmao! I do like kale raw in salads, but can't stand those kale chips, and not too fond of it cooked. Cooking makes it bitter to me, but it's great raw.

I'm just the opposite. I like it cooked as an ingredient in another dish, not alone, but don't like it raw. Too pokey for me.

It's been warm enough lately that I've been able to leave my herbs out all night. However, I discovered this morning that it's a bad idea to leave them sitting on the ground. Woke up to mustard stems. Seems our wild backyard bunny decided to snack on the sprouts last night. :giggle:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ok.
get corn, husk corn.
start grill.... do your grill shit.
put corn on grill.
brush melted butter on corn.
make sure butter has garlic powder mixed in.
cook to done.
roll hot buttered corn in a good grated parm/asago.
thank me later.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK
Thai rice noodles. If you do not know what these are learn dammit they are stupid cheap, stupid fast and healthier than ramen.
BBQed chicken skewers.
Brushed with Trader Joe's saracha in a bit of lemon juice and fish sauce.

Stir fried veg with thai noodles and chicken is awesome.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK
Thai rice noodles. If you do not know what these are learn dammit they are stupid cheap, stupid fast and healthier than ramen.
BBQed chicken skewers.
Brushed with Trader Joe's saracha in a bit of lemon juice and fish sauce.

Stir fried veg with thai noodles and chicken is awesome.

I love rice noodles! I'd really love to try some *real* thai food; the "grocery store" versions I've tried, I quite enjoyed! Peanut sauce is, IMO, absolutely to die for! I like spicy food, but not set-your-mouth-on-fire hot -- one thing I dearly love about chinese food is the hot mustard -- that stuff will definitely open your sinuses, and burns even the OUTSIDE! of your mouth!

Andria

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I love rice noodles! I'd really love to try some *real* thai food; the "grocery store" versions I've tried, I quite enjoyed! Peanut sauce is, IMO, absolutely to die for! I like spicy food, but not set-your-mouth-on-fire hot -- one thing I dearly love about chinese food is the hot mustard -- that stuff will definitely open your sinuses, and burns even the OUTSIDE! of your mouth!

Andria
Tj's siracha is milder than Hoy Fung's and less sweet.
Thai fish sauce used here and there brings out serious good flavors without having to add salt. But cooking it in a hot pan... Not my favorite thing.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tj's siracha is milder than Hoy Fung's and less sweet.
Thai fish sauce used here and there brings out serious good flavors without having to add salt. But cooking it in a hot pan... Not my favorite thing.

I've used Fish Sauce in a recipe I got from a cooking show I saw many years ago; the original recipe was for a soup, but I converted it to a stir-fry dish with fried brown rice; shrimp and mushrooms, using garlic and Fish Sauce -- really tasty!!

Andria

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used a splash of FS in scrambled fried eggs for fried rice. High heat slightly charred for flavor.
Also in my scrambled eggs done Ramsey style over low/med heat in real grass fed whole butter.

ok Trick for the palette.
Greek gods yogurt. Unflavored plain.
Cut yogurt in a grid.
Put cheese cloth over top. Wither rubber band the clothe or cut the innder ring of the lid out.
Invert container in a bowl, drain bowl as needed and recut the yogurt replace cheese clothe etc.
Do this for 2-5 days depending on level of creamy you want.
Will sub for sour cream or salad dressing base.

brandon david

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Andria
Authentic Thai is amazing. In my area, we don't have many authentic foreign cuisine places but, a friend of mine's parents are from Thailand and have a local joint they opened up years ago called Thai Cafe. It doesn't even have a sign on the building. haha

Either way, the way their restaurant works, everything looks quite pricey until you realize it's meant for a couple to split with an appetizer or a family of 4 to order 2 things as well as an appetizer as everything comes with a few plates and serving utensils. If you ever visit west Tennessee, I highly recommend it.

VU Sponsors