Become a Patron!

Got my first RTA and could use some info/tips

Badfrog

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got the Wotofo Serpent SMM. The first go around I had too much wick. I pulled that out after a short time and think I have it wicked much better now. It seems to be wicking much faster and the flavor is much better. I used less cotton (bacon cotton) and cut the ends shorter. The cotton appears to be quite minimal and I'm surprised the tank doesn't drain. I did get some leaking the second time I went to fill it up but that has cleared up.

One thing I've noticed with both wicks is that there's quite a bit of popping when vaping. I really haven't had any spit back though so that's good. I'm using the coils that came with the RTA. I believe it's a 3mm diameter clapton coil and it registers at 0.26 ohms. I'm running it at 46 watts and the juice is 80/20 VG/PG.

Is the popping normal with the style of coils that come with the RTA? It's not terrible but my regular tanks don't make noise so I'm not used to it. All in all I'm please with the RTA and the flavor is nice. I do wish the tank actually had 4ml capacity. I have the Wotofo Flow that which is the exact same size (plus it says 4ml capacity) and it clearly holds more liquid than the Serpent SMM.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have that particular RTA, but I do have a few. Some of them pop and some of them do not. Don't really know why, but it hasn't been an issue unless I'm watching TV with the wife. She gets quite irritated with the noise, LOL!

Also, I don't know if this is something that you are experiencing, but I have not had good luck with any coils that came with my RTAs. I find that as soon as I change them out, my flavor is exponentially better. But that may just be me.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
as far as wicking goes be sure to thin'em out and fluff'em up..I haven't had a problem yet. I watched Matt's (Suck My Mod) wicking tutorial on youtube. He designed the Serpent. It's worth a watch. I use Wotofo premade coils but not the ones that came with the RTA.

These work perfectly Picture 278.jpg Picture 279.jpg

They're 0.5 claptons made of kanthal..they come in tubes with 5 in each...good value and coils altogether.

Badfrog

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the quick replies folks. The second wick leaked again when I went to refill and I just love to tinker so I took it apart and flipped the coil to where it was hanging down and the popping has nearly went away so that's nice. I think I may have gotten it right this time with the wicking.

Also, I put in some Banana Bondage from Adore Eliquid and wow that is pretty nice stuff. Bought the concentrate and mixed it up 6 days ago and it's already pretty darned good. Overall though it looks like it's probably just going to take me a few weeks to get this just right since it is my first time using and RTA.

BTW, where is a good place to get coils other than the usual sites like elementvape and vapordna? I wouldn't mind getting a kit that has several different types of coils.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The way wick is cotton tight in the coils to where I need to hold the coil. Then I use a dental pick to thin/straighten the tails. I place the tails just a tad below the juice hole and I place them dry. I'll then pre juice, give it a couple of fires then reassemble the tank, fill and vape.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the quick replies folks. The second wick leaked again when I went to refill and I just love to tinker so I took it apart and flipped the coil to where it was hanging down and the popping has nearly went away so that's nice. I think I may have gotten it right this time with the wicking.

Also, I put in some Banana Bondage from Adore Eliquid and wow that is pretty nice stuff. Bought the concentrate and mixed it up 6 days ago and it's already pretty darned good. Overall though it looks like it's probably just going to take me a few weeks to get this just right since it is my first time using and RTA.

BTW, where is a good place to get coils other than the usual sites like elementvape and vapordna? I wouldn't mind getting a kit that has several different types of coils.

I bought an 8 in 1 multi-pack of Dovpo coils from a local B&M. It came with 6 of each of the 8 coils. I haven't tried most of 'em yet. I don't particularly like the claptons (any clapton, for that matter, that I have tried). The only other one 2 have used out of them is the Tiger and the Tank Track (which looks a lot like a clapton, but I like the flavor for whatever reason). So far, the Tiger is my favorite. But, anyway you didn't ask all that, it ended up costing me $18 and was worth it, imo. However, it will take me a good forever to get through these, I think, because I clean my coils and reuse them. To date, I have had the same coils in my original tank now for about 4 months, I believe. I'm hoping before I get through this kit to be making my own.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
A lot of coil options out there. I order mine from AVS, Advanced Vape Supply. If you are not using tc yet only order 316l ss coils or wire. You can vape them in tc or power mode. They offer a good sample pack and their wire is good too. All reasonably priced. I don't know if they are still around, but Tradition Vape had some decent coils. There are more good ones out there. You'll get some more info from others. Have some fun with it and enjoy.

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got the serpent yesterday and before I put in the coil it came with and the cotton, I watched the video by SMM like was mentioned above. The cotton should be thick and tight through the coil. Thin out the ends like he recommends, etc. It works perfectly. Make sure the coil is screwed in tight.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I second @advancedvapesupply they have a great assortment of premade coils & rolls of coils. As @Letitia9 mentioned ss316L is great but remember the resistance is lower on SS than on Kanthal. There’s also Kidneypuncher.com.

As other have mentioned to control popping, the wick should be pretty snug in the coil, then thin/fluff, then gently tuck in the wick holes, most suggest not having the wick ends hang too low in a GTA style, it will wick when you tilt it to vape.

Badfrog

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One last update. I redid the wicking again (might be the 5th time) and she's rolling pretty good. I think it also helped that I switch from an 80VG juice to a 70VG. Now I can hit it 3 or 4 times in a row with no trouble. I spent a little extra time fluffing the ends and I'm sure that has helped.

I'm enjoying my first RTA so much that my regular tanks are getting a lot less use and I went ahead and got an OBS Nano RTA. Never thought I'd get into RTAs but I'm enjoying it and find the vape to certainly be better than regular tanks.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
Guys need some help with wicking this sucker. Serpent SMM
Have this tank for about 3 month and can't get it right. And i hear from many people that this tanks is DA bomb !!!!

Flavor is muted and getting dry hits.
Any coils i put in, any wick, nothing...
take a look, let me know if i can improve.
Coil i'm using Fused Clapton ss316L

and as everyone pointed out, i don't use much cotton, i don't tuck it in, barely sitting on top of the channel

Update:
with help of the community :hearts:
I may found my problem with wicking, My problem was not enough cotton in the coil not in the channels. Once i tuck more cotton, flavor still stays, but 100% satisfied. Will be playing with diff coils and wick.

Attachments

• 20171111_135946.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 20171111_135955.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20171111_140009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 20171111_140022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20171111_141125_001.jpg
    20171111_141125_001.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 20
  • 20171111_141203.jpg
    20171111_141203.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Guys need some help with wicking this sucker.
Have this tank for about 3 month and can't get it right. And i hear from many people that this tanks is DA bomb !!!!

and as everyone pointed out, i don't use much cotton, i don't tuck it in, barely sitting on top of the channel
What rta is it?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The SMM is a good rta but I never could get the flavor from it I get with my Nanos. Have lost count of how many different builds I put in it. Really wanted to love the rta, like the looks. Sorry no help here, benched mine. Just got tired of fooling with it.

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I love mine and bought a second one. I recommend you watch suckmymods video on how to build and wick the serpent smm on YouTube. I found it really helpful.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
I love mine and bought a second one. I recommend you watch suckmymods video on how to build and wick the serpent smm on YouTube. I found it really helpful.
i did watch bunch of videos including Suck my Mod
nothing helps
long tips, short wick, diff coils
SS, ni80, Kantal
tired :)

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i did watch bunch of videos including Suck my Mod
nothing helps
long tips, short wick, diff coils
SS, ni80, Kantal
tired :)
No pro but let me try and help. What is your coil reading at and how many watts are you vaping at? Also, have you tried it on a different mod if you have one? Finally, is your coil supposed to look like that - it’s not round but lumpy?

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
No pro but let me try and help. What is your coil reading at and how many watts are you vaping at? Also, have you tried it on a different mod if you have one? Finally, is your coil supposed to look like that - it’s not round but lumpy?
i have 3 mods, tried on all of them
in TCR in Watt
coil is fine, .40
in Wattage i don't go high like around 35-40W
"lumpy" because it's fused, i got them pre-build, i didn't make them.

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have 3 mods, tried on all of them
in TCR in Watt
coil is fine, .40
in Wattage i don't go high like around 35-40W
"lumpy" because it's fused, i got them pre-build, i didn't make them.
That’s very strange that it’s not working. I don’t know what to tell you but maybe the atty is defective - it sounds as though it should work

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
That’s very strange that it’s not working. I don’t know what to tell you but maybe the atty is defective - it sounds as though it should work
i did find some people had experience similar problems.
First fill is "OK", after that crap.
i did find youTube where guy explaining that cotton expands and juice doesn't flow,
but i don't put 2 much cotton.
Wish i could find someone Local.
or just F'ing sell it :) and get over with it .

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Let's see, my suggestions

Basically only thing I can suggest is
  • Insure the cotton is tight in the coil
  • Thin the tails out a bit
  • Place the cotton dry
  • Don't prime the cotton with juice until after you place the cotton dry

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
Let's see, my suggestions

Basically only thing I can suggest is
  • Insure the cotton is tight in the coil
  • Thin the tails out a bit
  • Place the cotton dry
  • Don't prime the cotton with juice until after you place the cotton dry
I don't think i got that part: Place the cotton dry
I always place dry cotton into the coil,
it's not really tight, since i though i'm getting dry because lot of cotton,
also a little confused on:
Don't prime the cotton with juice until after you place the cotton dry

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think i got that part: Place the cotton dry
I always place dry cotton into the coil,
it's not really tight, since i though i'm getting dry because lot of cotton,
also a little confused on:
Don't prime the cotton with juice until after you place the cotton dry
What I mean about placing the cotton dry is placing it into the wick holes/channels. Here, a picture is worth a 1,000 words

As you can see here with my reload the cotton is all in place dry without any juice. I will then prime it with juice, dry fire it a few times (around 5-6 times) then screw the tank on and fill -

KgcVKTX.jpg

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
What I mean about placing the cotton dry is placing it into the wick holes/channels. Here, a picture is worth a 1,000 words

As you can see here with my reload the cotton is all in place dry without any juice. I will then prime it with juice, dry fire it a few times (around 5-6 times) then screw the tank on and fill -
Oh,
got ya
i did place it dry, i just didn't make a picture, i made after i was using it for a little ;)
yes, i do place it dry, then prime it.
will do picture with next wick, which is in 5 min, will post pic.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh,
got ya
i did place it dry, i just didn't make a picture, i made after i was using it for a little ;)
yes, i do place it dry, then prime it.
will do picture with next wick, which is in 5 min, will post pic.
Oh OK, that sounds good.

Then what I would say is insure the cotton is tight in the coil itself then take a pick or pointed tweezers and thin the tails out a bit. The dry hits is what is pointing to this being the issue.

Locomotion

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know exactly what your going through I bought the vgod pro rdta and couldn't get it right for nothing.Luckily I got a few different tips up here and today found out something on my own.When wicking the cotton through the coil you want tension just enough so the cotton doesn't move easily.My tip is use your tweezers and fluff the cotton as much as possible see through like the Scottish Roll.Then trim and shape the wick lightly slim not too narrow.Use your ejuice a little just to shape and bond the wick to form a narrow tube to fit through you wick holes.I even had the length of my wicks the full length of my tank to have contact to the last drop.Works for me some may differ remember less cotton faster it wicks.Be sure to leave the cotton firm on both ends of the coils when you place your ends down into the holes so your less likely to leave a gap on the ends behind the coils.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been finding that I get better flavor with single wire coils than with the fancier types.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
Oh OK, that sounds good.

Then what I would say is insure the cotton is tight in the coil itself then take a pick or pointed tweezers and thin the tails out a bit. The dry hits is what is pointing to this being the issue.
This is my latest wick,
i thin $hit out of it, some going in the holes, most of them sitting on top.
Also cut out a little cotton on top.

Flavor is not bad, but on the first fill, it's been good, will see after 3,4.
Lot of Clouds :) which i don't care :blech:
Let me know what you see.

Attachments

• 20171113_115245.jpg
    20171113_115245.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171113_115314.jpg
    20171113_115314.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171113_115625.jpg
    20171113_115625.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20171113_115852.jpg
    20171113_115852.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20171113_121624.jpg
    20171113_121624.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171113_121643.jpg
    20171113_121643.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171113_122109.jpg
    20171113_122109.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171113_122117.jpg
    20171113_122117.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171113_121639.jpg
    20171113_121639.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is my latest wick,
i thin $hit out of it, some going in the holes, most of them sitting on top.
Also cut out a little cotton on top.

Flavor is not bad, but on the first fill, it's been good, will see after 3,4.
Lot of Clouds :) which i don't care :blech:
Let me know what you see.
Looks pretty good, good placement and the tails aren't too long.

Yeah wicking is more of an art form than anything else. That and each atty has it's own personality. What I do is have a basic standard method then most of the time just needs a little minor tweaking.

Play with it and you'll find the sweet spot ;)

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
Looks pretty good, good placement and the tails aren't too long.

Yeah wicking is more of an art form than anything else. That and each atty has it's own personality. What I do is have a basic standard method then most of the time just needs a little minor tweaking.

Play with it and you'll find the sweet spot ;)

Problem with me? i do know what a GOOD flavor taste like.
I have 2 Merlins, and flavor from there outstanding, but i did take me a month to get correct wicking, since it was always leak for me ;)
Then i figure out and now it's my favorite tank.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Problem with me? i do know what a GOOD flavor taste like.
I have 2 Merlins, and flavor from there outstanding, but i did take me a month to get correct wicking, since it was always leak for me ;)
Then i figure out and now it's my favorite tank.
SMM Serpent Mini being a flavor monster? Honestly I don't believe it is, it does have good flavor but it doesn't blow me away. Personally I like my Merlin Mini with the single coil deck better.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
SMM Serpent Mini being a flavor monster? Honestly I don't believe it is, it does have good flavor but it doesn't blow me away. Personally I like my Merlin Mini with the single coil deck better.
SMM is mini? i didn't know that, thought it's a regular size
Since i got merlin, there's nothing that comes close it, i did get couple of tanks and end up selling them.
I seen new version of Merlin and Boreas came out, not sure if i'd get it, reviews wasn't that crazy.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since i got merlin, there's nothing that comes close it, i did get couple of tanks and end up selling them.
I seen new version of Merlin and Boreas came out, not sure if i'd get it, reviews wasn't that crazy.
Yeah Wotofo's SMM Serpent is a Mini. I don't have the OG Merlin but I do have the Merlin Mini, it's my favorite flavor small tank to date. I have a few OG Boreas's, love them and I have the Boreas V2 but haven't put a build in yet. I've just been too damn busy lately and to be honest I really, really love the Reload RTA and it's very hard to put it away.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
Yeah Wotofo's SMM Serpent is a Mini. I don't have the OG Merlin but I do have the Merlin Mini, it's my favorite flavor small tank to date. I have a few OG Boreas's, love them and I have the Boreas V2 but haven't put a build in yet. I've just been too damn busy lately and to be honest I really, really love the Reload RTA and it's very hard to put it away.
Yeah,
heard a good thing about Reload, but i'm really looking for one coil builds.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love the boreas. Most people complain about juice leakage on fill up. There is a certain way to fill but once you have it down it' a normal routine. It' the first tank that I liked.
Kayfun was the first and I hated it.
Got tired of dripping so I tried the crown then tfv4 both sucked and the coils on the tfv4 were expensive and sucked so I was like f that. Tried boreas at $20 mind you and that's all I've used for over a year I think.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
I love the boreas. Most people complain about juice leakage on fill up. There is a certain way to fill but once you have it down it' a normal routine. It' the first tank that I liked.
Kayfun was the first and I hated it.
Got tired of dripping so I tried the crown then tfv4 both sucked and the coils on the tfv4 were expensive and sucked so I was like f that. Tried boreas at $20 mind you and that's all I've used for over a year I think.

Thanx for suggestions,
not a big fan of coils, when i buy them almost half of them F'ed up, not a good quality.
Building it's a way to go.

VU Sponsors