Become a Patron!

Greetings Fellow Vets and You Active Folks as Well...

Greetings,

Just getting started over here at VU (registered today), and saw that there was a little corner set aside for service members, current and prior, so I figured I'd pop in and say hello here too.

Prior service myself, (Army), but have been out for a long time now, though I still work with Vets in my day job.

Not much more to add, other than to say to all the VU folks with military backgrounds, Vets and Active Duty alike, thank you all for your service!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We are stuck in the back next to the kids in bike and football helmets.
But that is ok.

Fukitol

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They may have bike and football helmets but we have our ACH(or whatever the other services called their brain buckets)

Steel Pot, even once we switched to Kelvar we still called them Steel Pots... And, the analog to kids bikes; perhaps those monster rotary floor buffers/waxers? Heh... You could definitely ride those things through the barracks.

But hey, we should all be used to lurking in dark corners, Military or no, Smokers have been social pariahs for a long time now...*Chuckle*... Vaping seems pretty much on par...

Fukitol

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Steel pots? Man, that was a long time ago. Lol

Steel pots? Man, that was a long time ago. Lol

Yeah, I'm old... I was in back in the 80s, and when I first hit my permanent duty station post training; there were still guys wearing their green Vietnam-era fatigues, which, at least in that unit, were still recognized as a legitimate duty uniform. We ( as recruits) were all issued the standard forest pattern BDUs in basic though. I think for the most part the green fatigues and steel pots had been mostly phased out by then.

Fukitol

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The army can be a little slow moving when making major changes huh? They don't give a shit until its deployment time.

The army can be a little slow moving when making major changes huh? They don't give a shit until its deployment time.

Definitely. When I first hit my unit, we still had a bunch of Deuce and a Halfs assigned to our section, not sure which variants, but they were old and broke down constantly. We also had a Quarter-ton "Jeep", again not sure of the variant, but it was also very old--but worked great. Our section rounded out the compliment with a CUCV that worked okay, and a Gamma Goat that would break down every time it left the motorpool...*Chuckle*... We did ultimately get a Humvee, which ironically replaced the Jeep, which was the one really reliable vehicle we had... These were all ambulances incidentally.

But yeah, everything we had was used and abused by many troops before me. However, this was of course the 80s, so while we were in the field constantly for training, we never had to deploy with them in a combat environment. We did however take them with us for major training exorcises which was a nightmare for rail loads.

Wish we had vape gear back then...*Grin*...

Cloudchuckin Sam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the forum. I'm ex Army as well. I was in between 3/88-12/93. Hooah Army!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors