Become a Patron!

GTRS P222 BOX MOD

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the P222 Box Mod from GTRS. The GTRS P222 was supplied for the purpose of this review by Evan from Heaven Gifts.

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/GTRS-P222-MOD.html

In the Box

Contents:

1 x P222 Box MOD
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Quality Control Card
1 x Vape Cloth

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

After opening the nice box i was met by a device that oozed quality just to look at it, and the more i handled the device the more it became clear the P222 is high end build quality. The device is about average height and narrower than average but as a lot of depth to it, when looking from above it is almost square shape with front being just slightly narrower than the back and all the edges being very rounded off. This squarish shape, with rounded edges gives it the same ergonomic feel in the hand as a rounded device and the fire button when pressed is so satisfying (very nice). Front and back of the device are black mirrored panels which especially with the inclusion of a cloth i expected to be fingerprint magnets but surprisingly isn't that bad at all. The back panel is the battery door, the front houses the gold, round very nice fire button, OLED screen and left right buttons which are lined up vertically. Underneath the buttons we have the USB port, when turning the mod on the side you can see the left and right buttons both have 2 chevrons on them in the corresponding direction. The Chassis of the device is the colour of choice which in my case is black but be aware if you go for the black it definitely isn't black but a dark gun metal. The chassis is made out of Aluminium Alloy and other colours that will be available are, Green, Blue, Orange, Yellow and white, i normally include a picture of all the colours but as yet the P222 has been somewhat camera shy. The battey panel has a large cutout each side to help remove it which before putting batteries in i thought would be an aesthetic issue as you will see a section of battery both sides. But the batteries and panel fit that well if you were someone who didn't know these devices took batteries you would just think they were an aesthetic feature in the way of 2 side accents of colour, in my case green and actually it looks quite good. The sides of the P222 has tapered grooves which again adds to the look but also your fingers slot into nicely when holding the device. The base of the device has vent slots, branding and safety stamps, finally moving to the top we have brought towards the front of the devive what looks like the same 510 plate and gold plated, spring loaded 510 that was employed on the GTRS VBOY.

Specs:

Size: 82x42x40mm
Threaded Connection:510
Output Wattage:7-222W
Max Output Voltgage:8.4v
Max Output Current:45a
USB:5V/1.5A
Modes: TC/VW
Taste modes: Norm, Soft, Hard, User
Memory modes: M1, M2, M3
Resistance range: 0.1-3ohm (VW Mode), 0.05-1ohm (TC mode)
Battery: 2×18650 (not included)
Colours: Black, Green, Blue, Orange, Yellow and White
Material: Aluminium Alloy

Using the GTRS P222

The back panel is secured with strong magnets, but a good tug and off it comes so you can fit your duel 18650's. Once fitted the battery panel securely clicks into place, there is a battery ribbon allowing for easy removal of batteries. When the batteries are first fitted the device is on but locked and won't fire, to unlock and lock the device is 5 clicks of the fire button. Also when the P222 has 20 seconds of inactivity the screen timeouts and the device goes into standby but if you go to vape from standby the device activates and fires in an instant and you won't notice any delay. I do like the way this device won't fire when locked but i don't like the fact the only way to completely turn the device off is to remove the batteries. The screen has a tinted cover which does give the display a classy look but could give issues in bright sunlight, that being said indoors it does look very nice. All the information you need is on the screen, top left we have the resistance, underneath this we have voltage (this changes to wattage in temp control), under this we have the preheat within a rectangle and beside this your mode within another rectangle. Going back to the top of the screen to the right of what's already been described is the wattage (this changes to temperature when using a temp control wire). Underneath this we have an elongated battery status bar with the status also being shown as a percentage. Finally bottom right is a square with an "M" inside, this means nothing is chosen but this can be changed to M1, M2 or M3, and are your memory slots. The user interface on the P222 is really good, it has everything you need on a device yet no fancy menu system to enter simply move around the screen and make your changes. 3 clicks of the fire button highlights the resistance, from here simply use the left and right buttons to highlight different things, when you reach what you want to alter press the fire button then alter or scroll through the options it gives you before pressing fire again to set. Resistance you can lock or unlock, Preheat gives you the choice of, norm, hard, soft or user, if you pick user it brings up your 10 second curve that can be set (if curve is set, while vaping the curve graph is displayed). When choosing the mode it comes up with the choice of, KA, NI, TI, SS and TCR, KA is for Kanthal but forget that it just means you will be in wattage mode and your coil doesn't need to be Kanthal at all. Choosing one of your TC wires will obviously change the wattage display to temperature but now where it did display the volts displays wattage that can be altered for temp control. Finally we can highlight and select M to select or alter and then select one of your 3 memory slots. The device like i said has all the features yet altering or choosing anything can be done so quickly, the user interface has to get top marks.

Performance

The P222 doesn't employ the YiHi chip as we have seen previously with GTRS but like Vapecige who sometimes employ the DNA they have an excellent alternative, i review a lot of devices and YiHi chip or not the P222 in my opinion still has high end performance to go along with the high end build quality and top notch interface. It fires instantly even from standby and seems very accurate, i have not seen any charts for this device but from using it i would expect them to be very favourable. However it does have a couple of issues that may or may not concern people, one being if the 510 was in the centre you would easily be able to fit 32mm, possibly 34mm without overhang but it has been brought quite a bit forward meaning 26mm is flush, it doesn't bother me as the tanks i use are 26 and below but still seems a wasted opportunity. The others are not being able to switch the device off which does bug me a bit and not that we get Sun this time of year in the UK but the screen will probably be hard to see in bright sunlight. I tested the device with the Berserker Mini on 10w and silence as expected also the device seems to be very efficient as i seemed to get better than normal battery life from duel 18650's. Finally the device supports charging up to 1.5A and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Conclusion

A top quality device, with excellent performance with just a couple of subjective issues.

Pros

High End Build Quality
High End Performance
Excellent User interface
Custom Curve
Temp Control
High Power
Very Good Battery Life
Fires Instantly
Great Feeling Fire Button
Device Doesn't Fire When Locked

Cons

Batteries Need Removing To Switch Device off
Over 26mm Will Overhang (28mm will just overhang at front very slightly)
Display Will Be Difficult To See In Bright Sunlight

I would once again like to thank Evan from Heaven Gifts for supplying the GTRS P222 Box Mod for the purpose of this review.

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/GTRS-P222-MOD.html

VU Sponsors