Become a Patron!

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Hi guys, I just bought myself a SMOK G-Priv which I like.

However, after setting up the Date/Time settings (firmware 1.8), I noticed that the clock has stopped working, it just ALWAYS appears as the same data/time you have set it to be and never moves.

Here are the things I tried:
Nothing seem to work, so I have contacted SMOK support :wait::wait::wait::wait::wait::wait: but heard nothing so I diagnosed the problem and solved it myself.

NOTES:
  • If your clock is working, GREAT!!!! Try not to set up seconds EVER as this (might) be the issue. Set your Date/Time but never the seconds for the time.
  • When upgrading/downgrading firmware, don't trust the SMOK instructions. You have to be fast and keep your finger on the button. Also be patient.
Now, If your clock stops working at any point and until SMOK fixes this somehow :wait::wait::wait::wait:

SOLUTION

Diagnoses:
There is a small battery soldered to the main board of the G-Priv that keeps the Date/Time Settings, this is why "Factory reset" and unplugging batteries won't reset your time or Hard-Reset your SMOK G-Priv.
It seems that setting up the Date/Time including the seconds when done not fast enough causes this bug. The old time lapsed to a new minute while the new time has changed that. Poor validation in the board caused this bug to happen. This is only an assumption.

Solution:
Hard reset your G-Priv by disconnecting the internal battery and reconnecting it. So far there seems to be no other way.

You will need:
  • Screwdriver
  • Soldering iron and some soldering experience

Steps:
  1. Disassemble your G-Priv until you can see the internal battery. It is located under the screen. If you want instructions on how to disassemble your G-Priv take a look at this video, if you can do soldering, you're smart enough to do it easily:

2. Disconnect the screen ribbon.
  3. Find the small battery as shown in photos blew (Photos Credit goes to Daniel from djlsbvapes) :
  4. Disconnect the battery by desoldering one or both leads.
  5. Re solder the leads you have disconnected.
  6. Put everything back together.
  7. Put your 18650 batteries in
  8. Turn on the device, set it up and don't set the seconds unless you do it very fast.
  9. All fixed.
Gp2.JPG
gp4.JPG
gp5.JPG

:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Um.. why can't you just pop the battery out? looks like all thats holding it on there is that metal arm. I mean, that battery should wear out some time and people might wanna replace it, desoldering and resoldering sounds like extra work to me... and I know you can't solder the batt itself:huh: cuz that sounds wrong to me... Course I am blond :teehee: And have no clue when it comes to soldering... never done it myself but I mentally know some of the steps, ya got the Iron, the flux, and the soldering wire. Yada yada yada... but it just doesn't makes sense, dealt with a lot of electronics with cmos/button batts and all ya gotta do is pop it out.

Not criticizing or calling you out but I can't see why desoldering and resoldering is even a step. :huh:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Um.. why can't you just pop the battery out? looks like all thats holding it on there is that metal arm.

I spy 2 spot welds on that battery tab so it's not going to pop out like a watch battery.

Could be just me but does anything else think a clock on vape gear is like adding a bathroom scale to a Corvette? And that's a silly amount of work to get a pointless feature to function properly.

Last edited:

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Um.. why can't you just pop the battery out? looks like all thats holding it on there is that metal arm. I mean, that battery should wear out some time and people might wanna replace it, desoldering and resoldering sounds like extra work to me... and I know you can't solder the batt itself:huh: cuz that sounds wrong to me... Course I am blond :teehee: And have no clue when it comes to soldering... never done it myself but I mentally know some of the steps, ya got the Iron, the flux, and the soldering wire. Yada yada yada... but it just doesn't makes sense, dealt with a lot of electronics with cmos/button batts and all ya gotta do is pop it out.

Not criticizing or calling you out but I can't see why desoldering and resoldering is even a step. :huh:

OMG I cannot agree with you more....

I mean, that battery should wear out some time and people might wanna replace it, desoldering and resoldering sounds like extra work to me... and I know you can't solder the batt itself:huh: cuz that sounds wrong to me

I hope SMOK sees this, the fact is, what sounds wrong to you (and it IS wrong) is the case here, the pins are soldered to the battery and to the board :crazy::crazy::crazy: It is also held by that grey glue on the side of the battery that holds it firmly to the board.

As for the criticising and "calling me out", you seem like a logical, reasonable person. Do you think someone -no matter how dumb he is- would go through all this hassle when they can just pop a battery in and out like a PC bios or watch battery??? :kickbutt:

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
I spy 2 spot welds on that battery tab so it's not going to pop out like a watch battery.

Ain't dat the truth.

Could be just me but does anything else think a clock on vape gear is like adding a bathroom scale to a Corvette? That's a silly amount of work to get a pointless feature to function properly.

Now I have to disagree, it is not just a clock and a gimmick. In order to have a puff counter that resets at midnight (resets puffs daily) you need a clock, and in order to have a clock, you need a date/time timer + memory + a battery to hold the value in that memory and powers the timer.

SMOK may have included the Date/Time as a "feature" but in fact, it's a byproduct of a functional puff counter.
Trust me, I would not have gone through all this hassle just for a clock while I have a watch on wrist and a phone :) I am trying to reverse engineer the firmware so that I can customise it and get it to SYNC puff data with my PC, give me graphs of daily activity and puffs. Average puff count, average puff duration (in seconds) etc... It all depends on the amount of memory installed on the board. I hope this works.

Won't it be so freaking cool if your mod is also your vaping activity tracker?? It already collects that info, all it needs to do is store it and transfer it.

AND SMOK, if you are reading this. You should add those features... You're welcome!!!!

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Dear lord... lol :facepalm:

And don't get me started on puff counters. :devil: Not safe for OCD types. Just because you can doesn't mean someone should.

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Dear lord... lol :facepalm:

And don't get me started on puff counters. :devil: Not safe for OCD types. Just because you can doesn't mean someone should.

That's exactly why I want to do it, because I can ;):p but I am still trying to figure out if "I can" with the current hardware or do I have to mod the mod (see what I did there) and add a piece or two to achieve functionality. Might add Bluetooth too. hmmm, I should start my own vaping company.

You should have seem my carbon fibre modded Pico (firmware also modded), or my modded invader mini, and my next project is DIY RDA and RDTA anodising dye and heat-dye (using my own aromamizer V2)

Personalisation is the keyword here.

Last edited:

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, I see it now... Damn Smok, get your shit together! That is pretty dumb to have it soldered... Guess they figure most people would be like, shit guess I'll buy a new one. :facepalm:

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
To quote the venerable @MannyScoot ... "Just vape that shit!" :D

Overthinking and tinkering goes hand in hand with vaping for me. If I am holding a piece of tech, I make sure it does much more than it should and looks great.

Ok, I see it now... Damn Smok, get your shit together! That is pretty dumb to have it soldered... Guess they figure most people would be like, shit guess I'll buy a new one. :facepalm:

Yep, they got really cheap with it. Just hoping that internal battery lasts a year or two for the average user. If not, they have just created a job for me as an official Vape Gear technician.

Garnetrooster

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good info... I'm still waiting on mine to return from MadVapes... Been there since the end of Feb.:tantrum:
Under warranty but still.

Garnetrooster

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Every tank you put on would show ohms way too high in power mode.Had to go in tc and bring it down. Started after the last update, though other people had no prob with it.

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Every tank you put on would show ohms way too high in power mode.Had to go in tc and bring it down. Started after the last update, though other people had no prob with it.

Oh boy, I hope that goes well. It seems that in the Vape market, buying second hand is an advantage, at least you can test your device before buying.

Scaldyballs

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah crap, looks like a bit to much effort for me.

I want to fix it because having wrong time is annoying but also the puff counter resetting daily would be really annoying for me. Wish I could just get the clock to fuck off the screen.

Last edited:

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Ah crap, looks like a bit to much effort for me.

I want to fix it because having wrong time is annoying but also the puff counter resetting daily would be really annoying for me. Wish I could just get the clock to fuck off the screen.

b28752f830330dd6559646b28bd6cdd6--vaping-html.jpg

very-basic-plus-icon.png

FTA-10055-Roll.jpg

==

asd.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors