Guide to Mixing by Weight

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Guides, Tips & Tricks!' started by Botboy141, Oct 5, 2014.

1. AmandaD

AmandaD Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Oh weird - none of mine do that! You should have returned them :)

2. Squonk

Squonk Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I can always give them away to hold pee samples as a cruel joke.;)

Neunerball likes this.
  3. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Nice. Those look like they would be awesome on some of these.
    http://packagingoptionsdirect.com/8-oz-cylinder-round-wide-mouth-natural-hdpe-plastic-bottle

4. AmandaD

Blog Posts:
  5. diyguy

diyguy Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I just bought some of these spout bottles on Amazon (Prime eligible). They have a narrower neck which might have more secure threads than the ketchup bottle style. I plan to use them for VG, PG, and nic.

They come in 2oz, 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5136U4

6. -=Rob=-

-=Rob=- Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    @KeyserSoze the bottles I use for my PG/VG are just some bottles I bought VG in from WalMart before I started buying it online. They are like 6 oz bottles, maybe 8 oz, they have the little flip up dripper on the top. They work well for dripping into a beaker on my scales. I keep Nic in 15 ML dripper bottles that I just refill from my bulk thats stored in glass.

Since you're into spreadsheets, make you one with various volumes and weights. Saves me a lot of time in the instances I need it. I have my most common recipes printed out so I don't use the spreadsheet, calculator or computer much when I'm mixing.

Happy mixing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Squonk

Blog Posts:
    Damn it! I thought I looked everywhere for these type of bottles. Now I'm waiting weeks to get them from China. Why didn't I sign up here sooner?!

8. SailCat

SailCat Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I've had those same squeeze bottles in an order in recently. 'Canceled them so the rest would ship. FT has indicated "Ships in 7 days" for a couple of months now. I'm going with @AmandaD's recommendation. Both bottles and caps on this link:
    http://packagingoptionsdirect.com/8-oz-cylinder-round-wide-mouth-natural-hdpe-plastic-bottle

AmandaD likes this.
  9. Squonk

Blog Posts:
    Mine are actually on the way. I wish I could say the same for my other order that's been delayed for the second week. I hope it's worth it. https://www.fasttech.com/products/2833800

10. Oggy

Oggy Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
  11. SailCat

Blog Posts:
    Good lock on your order, Squonk and thanks for the tip, Oggy!

12. KeyserSoze

Blog Posts:
  13. SteveMc

SteveMc VU Donator Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
  14. jakeofnsm

jakeofnsm New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much for this thread! I just started diy and I found syringes and pipettes a PAIN. This made it sooooo much easier. I found a phone app that has pretty accurate calculations for weight compared to your numbers (almost identical) called E-juice Lab. You can enter the gravity for flavors, too. But you can't customize weight of PG/VG/NIC. Still, its pretty spot on! Thanks again!

Botboy141 and Squonk like this.
  15. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I bought several 250ml beakers, a Digital scale & measure to the drop. Works every time. ;)

16. PuffPuffPass

PuffPuffPass Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully all you guys, and especially you gals. Know you can buy a wide assortment of bottles at your local "Sally's", or a similar store. They retail/wholesale hair salon products and supplies. Lots of chemical mixing going on in those bottles. So they're good. They're reasonable.

LadyAngler, diyguy, jakeofnsm and 2 others like this.
  17. barbaraann72

barbaraann72 Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Hey all!

What size (ml) pipettes should I get?

Sent from my SM-T217T using Tapatalk

18. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    If your bottles have dropper tips on them, you shouldn't really need them, but for those that don't, I'd think that 1ml (1cc) size would suffice. At most, a 3ml (3cc).

barbaraann72 likes this.
  19. barbaraann72

barbaraann72 Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Perfect - thanks a bunch!

Huckleberried likes this.
  20. JimScotty0

JimScotty0 Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    If you want a small scale that is accurate and has a cover, this is the one that I use and it works well. I got mine on Amazon for $14.00 and I think the cutoff time is about 3 minutes but that is plenty of time per ingredient for me even with 60ml recipes. I also use their weights and calibrate before each session just to be sure it is accurate. Like most everyone has said, the first drop may not show up but it is registering and usually a single drop will increase the scale readings.

American Weigh Scales ACP-200 Digital Pocket Scale, 200 by 0.01 G

21. Neunerball

Neunerball Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I recommend getting a scale that can measure up to 500g, unless you just mix smaller amounts (up to 150ml) only.

22. KeyserSoze

Blog Posts:
    If you are mixing by weight I would get 7ml pipettes. You can measure from a glass vial just as accurately as a 1ml pipette (since the scale is telling you how much you've dropped) but they also come in handy for transferring entire glass vials into dropper bottles. About the 3rd time I grab a particular glass vial, it gets transferred to a dropper bottle.

Mykline and JimScotty0 like this.
  23. penguiness

penguiness Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    This is a great thread!

If you are going to mix with a flavoring that you do not know the accurate weight for:
    1) Put an empty syringe on the scale and write down the exact weight.
    2) Pull in 1 ml of flavoring and weigh it on the scale.
    3) Subtract the syringe weight.

I usually then add or subtract that flavoring to use ml for that flavoring for this one time.

serversurfer and JimScotty0 like this.
  24. scootervapes

scootervapes Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Plenty of 500g scales out there, doesn't hurt to have more capacity than needed, you'll eventually want it. Harbor freight has 3 pack of 8oz(240ml) bottles for $4 i think, always seems to be on sale for $3. They also have scales, but only measure to the tenth. Only reason to get scale there is convenience.

Heartlandvapes.com has good prices on flavoring, vg, pg, glass dropper bottles, and plastic bottles(anywhere between 5ml to 32 oz, i think) as well as yorker spouts for larger bottles. Tfa flavors tend to be $6-9 for 4 oz bottles....but 30ml bottles sold there too. Last time i checked, nicotine wasn't a great deal there. Free shipping over $75 or 80.

25. Hottvapz

Hottvapz Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Anyone know of an android eliquid app that measures in weight?

26. CurlyxCracker

CurlyxCracker Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Liquix is the best for weight imo.

27. SailCat

Blog Posts:
    Thank for the tip, CurlyxCracker!

CurlyxCracker likes this.
  28. CurlyxCracker

Blog Posts:
    Pm me if you want to try it out before you buy it. I can send you the apk to a older version that I'm currently using.

29. SailCat

Blog Posts:
    I'll do that when I have learned a little more about this new tablet thing. I'm a longtime desktop dude and the transition has been a challenge for me. Ill get there. :)

Saddletramp1200 likes this.
  30. CurlyxCracker

Blog Posts:
    It's simple. I'll send you a link to d/l app. Go to settings>security and allow unknown sources. Then install app and use it ;). Just shoot me a PM when you're ready

31. SailCat

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I intend to and your offer is sincerely appreciated. 'Thing is, while I've been working with computers for dog years; building, de-bugging, repairing, in-home support, all that stuff, (just between you and me) I've never owned a smart phone. F'rinstance, the cell phone I have folds in the middle and even at that I've had a tumultuous relationship with that thing and its' teensy, little buttons. I actually inherited this fairly new and (I'm told) kinda nice tablet thing. Being an autodidact, I'm eyebrows-deep in the learning process but this stuff is all new to me. I really will PM you but give me a few weeks to tame this Tab. :)

Saddletramp1200 likes this.
  32. CurlyxCracker

Blog Posts:
    Complete opposite of me, I was, still am into computer repair, well electronics repair since I was a teen, mind was blown when first iPhone came out had to have it. Personally, I've been a "mobile user" ever since. Yeah I still use the computer, when I have to but being on the go and dealing with two wild toddlers mobile, is the optimal choice. Maybe this tablet will make you want a shiny new Android phone ;). What'd you get btw? Ever need any help feel free to ask me!

33. SailCat

Blog Posts:
    In my (thus far) brief study of the thing, I understand it is an Android phone, albeit virtually so. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0. Arguably KitKat or Lollipop, Android could teach Microsoft a thing or two about amusing OS names. It's WiFi only so phone function? There's an app for that. :rolleyes:

34. sven1olaf

sven1olaf New Member

Blog Posts:
    I just mixed my first ever batch of eliquid. Just two 10ml attempts at something resembling a fruity vape. Though my initial attempts have proven ridiculous, my most important finding had to do with the inefficiencies in mixing by volume.

This post is exactly what I needed to find. Now to figure out this calculator, get a scale, some small dropper bottles and I'm off!

Thank you.

*mixing by weight should be the primary tool given to any newcomer. If only so many of the stickies on forums (not blaming any of them, just saying) weren't still advising mixing by volume and recommending all the tools necessary for it.*

Kay_Fun!, Squonk and Mykline like this.
  35. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    I agree, this should be a sticky! Hint, hint @Huckleberried :);)

Squonk likes this.
  36. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    As you wish.

Neunerball, SailCat and Squonk like this.
  37. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    THANK YOU! Kiss, kiss, hug, hug... Love ya! (for that) :D

Huckleberried likes this.
  38. RedFive420

RedFive420 New Member

Blog Posts:
    great post, i think im buying a scale tomorrow

Squonk likes this.
  39. SirErick

SirErick Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. At what point does the quality of the scale suffice? I am looking at getting into small production possibly. Currently using a scale from Ebay 400g x0.01g, haven't had any issue. Curious to know if I should just upgrade to an AWS LB-501 and buy proper weights. I used rolled nickels last time:) I have a budget of a few hundred if it's worth it.

40. Squonk

Blog Posts:
    I just got the AWS LB-501 from Amazon(seller EZ Sell) a week or two ago after my old one died(I killed it). It came with two 200g calibration weights. I should have bought it in the first place. It's a great scale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGBG20?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

41. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering, does that scale show the weight of just 0.01g? The one that I currently use, doesn't show anything until it reaches 0.03g, which can be a problem doing a small mix of just 10ml.

42. Squonk

Blog Posts:
    I just tested. It starts at .03.

43. SirErick

SirErick Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
  44. QuestForVapology

QuestForVapology Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I bought the LB-501 from Amazon a few months ago and I have to say it's not a perfect scale.

I need perfection to get consistent results.

The scale will not calibrate anything under 0.03g. So sometimes I'll drop in some flavor and the weight will be 0.01g or 0.02g, so it will show nothing. It makes adding things like sucralose in 6mL test batches very difficult.

The scale will also freak out when it's near other electronics, so keep that in mind. Shut off your computer, your phone, etc.

---

Anybody got a new recommendation for a higher end scale?

45. NGAHaze

NGAHaze Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Not within a normal diy'ers budget ... seriously, you are talking about a considerable outlay for something that is pretty minuscule when viewed from a larger perspective. A single drop of flavoring weighs at least 0.02g even from a needle tip so if you account for this when weighing, it's not so bad.

You are absolutely right about it being sensitive to other electronics and such, even drafts but by the same token, anything you buy that is even more sensitive will have this same problem, if not worse, especially from air currents.

SailCat likes this.
  46. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    I have the same problem with my scale. However, over time, I found out, how many drops of a certain flavor will give me the desired weight. I guess, for a more accurate scale, you might have to go mechanical, utilizing proper counter weight, but that would defeat the purpose of mixing by weight, in order to be faster.

47. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    Don't breath while measuring! :D

48. Squonk

Blog Posts:
    Or you can add the small amounts last before you tare the scale.

49. QuestForVapology

QuestForVapology Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Yeah that's a good point, I've started doing that.

My biggest gripe with my scale is that I really feel like I can't trust it. Like I have to do all these little superstitious rituals to make it accurate. Put on top of a book, don't breathe, shut off electrics, calibrate every time, wait 5 seconds, put in the corner of the room, make sure the windows are closed, lightly drop my flavors on the table, clean it, make sure I my skins oils don't get on the calibrating weights--enough already! Just let me mix the friggin juice.

I would pay more money for a high end scale, I just don't know which to get. They all claim to be the best.

50. AmandaD

Blog Posts:
    LOL I use a $15 scale from Amazon, and I have no rituals! It seems to work fine for me, and my results seem to be consistent :)

From my previous research, you have to go into the thousands for a high end scale! All of them are sensitive to air.

JimScotty0, Huckleberried and SailCat like this.