Become a Patron!

Gunky Coils w/ Flavorart concentrates?

MHatt1

Member For 4 Years
Hi Guys,

I have recently been experiencing gunkiness in my coils that was not there prior to using more FA in my mixes, giving my vapes a bit of a burnt, ashy taste. It literally tastes very similar to what an ashtray smells like; it's a faint, but very noticeable aftertaste.

I've had coils gunk before, sure, but not to the point where it's immediately giving off this off flavor, sometimes from only after the first few hits on a fresh coil and cotton. The gunk buildup is very fast.

I just got a Kayfun v5 (phenomenal vape, btw), and it's even more pronounced using that. In some juices it is more pronounced than others. This doesn't happen with any brand-named juices, just my own DIY.

My mixes do not generally require flavorings over 3-5% for each flavor, and the total flavoring % rarely, but can go as high as 17%, usually with a mix of different vendors. FA rarely contributes to more than 12% of that, though. I do not use chocolate or cocoa over 2% and 1%, respectively.

I don't vape over 4.2v, or what a single, freshly charged 18650 battery would put out. In my Kayfun it's often under that.

I do not add sweeteners of any kind, aside from FA Honey, FA Meringue, or FA Maple. One thing that has changed, is I started storing my nic (Nude Nicotine) in small bottles in the freezer, and pulling them out as has been recommended by many in this forum. Can this do something to the nic?

Has anyone experienced this? Thank you in advance for the input.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can't see that the nic would be doing this, as to how it's stored. I store mine the same way, only removing a small bottle when it's needed, then leaving it in the fridge after it's opened.

Honestly, I've also not experienced overly gunked coils with FA, either. I'm using 1+ ohms builds, low wattage, high pg (because of vg sensitivity), in RTA tanks. There are a few that might gunk faster than others, but my wicks last about a week in my cookie/dessert vapes, longer than that in fruity vapes, 2+ weeks

I'm no help, LOL.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Freezing your nicotine won't alter it in any way, other than to halt the oxidation process. Are you shaking it well after it gets to room temp? Nicotine can "settle" while sitting and develop "hot spots." FlavourArt flavorings are made for vaping and contain no sugars or "coil gunkers" that we're aware of.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not noticed a difference by brand but creamy type vapes gunk my coils quicker than say straight fruit vapes. Probably twice as fast.

I don't know if that helps you or not, lol.

MHatt1

Member For 4 Years
Freezing your nicotine won't alter it in any way, other than to halt the oxidation process. Are you shaking it well after it gets to room temp? Nicotine can "settle" while sitting and develop "hot spots." FlavourArt flavorings are made for vaping and contain no sugars or "coil gunkers" that we're aware of.

Hi Teresa,

That could be, I did not shake my nic after it reached room temp... I usually only dip the needle tip into the nic far enough into the container to get what I need, I don't dunk. That could be it. I'll add that to the many other habits and rituals when I mix lol

MHatt1

Member For 4 Years
I can't see that the nic would be doing this, as to how it's stored. I store mine the same way, only removing a small bottle when it's needed, then leaving it in the fridge after it's opened.

Honestly, I've also not experienced overly gunked coils with FA, either. I'm using 1+ ohms builds, low wattage, high pg (because of vg sensitivity), in RTA tanks. There are a few that might gunk faster than others, but my wicks last about a week in my cookie/dessert vapes, longer than that in fruity vapes, 2+ weeks

I'm no help, LOL.

I feel ya, I'm used to vaping low ohms and higher wattage, so it's a paradigm shift to vape 20w on a .75 ohm coil... flavor is still good, just a bit cooler than I'm used to.

It is a relief, though, to know it's not the flavoring, but something more under my control... now I just need to find out what it is.

Hey... now that I think of it... it was you who chimed in on a thread saying that's how you store your nic.

So, you ARE a big help, thanks, Huck :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I feel ya, I'm used to vaping low ohms and higher wattage, so it's a paradigm shift to vape 20w on a .75 ohm coil... flavor is still good, just a bit cooler than I'm used to.

It is a relief, though, to know it's not the flavoring, but something more under my control... now I just need to find out what it is.

Hey... now that I think of it... it was you who chimed in on a thread saying that's how you store your nic.

So, you ARE a big help, thanks, Huck :)
Whew!

Well if I didn't say in that thread to shake up the nic before you split it up, and before you mix with it, I must edit that to say so. Glad Teresa brought that up. I hope you figure out what's up.

What flavors are you using?

MHatt1

Member For 4 Years
Whew!

Well if I didn't say in that thread to shake up the nic before you split it up, and before you mix with it, I must edit that to say so. Glad Teresa brought that up. I hope you figure out what's up.

What flavors are you using?

And ya know, you probably did mention that, but I paid no mind in my excitement to try something new. So the minute I saw Teresa's post, I immediately started shaking the crap out of my nic bottles :) I use quite a bit of FA, I have about 30 flavors of theirs or so.

FA is still pretty new to me, so I'm still getting to know the In's and out's of mixing with them. Another thing I'm noticing is flavor fade when setting them in an ultrasonic cleaner. I do not apply any heat beyond what the cleaner will generate, though, but the bath can get fairly hot after a few back to back 30 min cycles.

I made a Strawberry, Banana, Kiwi, and Orange mix the other day,all flavors @ 3% each, which should be plenty strong. After about a couple weeks on and off in the ultrasonic, the taste is so faint it's like vaping straight vp/pg.

I used to do this routine when mixing with FW, CAP, or TFA. The juices came out great; nice and strong like I like it, even after 2-3weeks of multiple cycles each day. Also, the steep time was cut considerably, especially in tobacco and custard blends.

Do you know if FA break down considerably easier than other brands? Maybe this is the reason so many FA flavor combos work great as shake and vapes, or only after a couple days? I noticed that most flavors @ 3% with conventional shaking after a few days is damn near too powerful.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Shake your flavors, too, LOL

Ok, well I can't help you with strawberry and banana, no matter the brand, I'm not a fan. Kiwi, I have limited experience with, but didn't notice the fading, orange, some, yes. I'd think that this would be a really good shake and vape, so maybe reduce the flavorings a bit and go that route. Their fruits don't really require extreme measures for steeping, maybe strong one day, a bit more mellow the next, at least more blended. I haven't used heat methods, like a crock pot, in a really long time. I'm just a fan of time "steep".

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get some gunky build-up with only one off my flavors, I make HIC's Milky Musketeers and add the FA Espresso, I call it BOOM! Choco-latte lol... but from what I've read the FA Cocoa has a tendency to gunk up, and I don't vape below .7 ohms. Every 3 days or so I have to replace the cotton and burn the gunk off the coil. All my juices use FA flavors by a vast majority, and that's the only one that gunks.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Could be using too much flavoring too... With FA, I never use anything over 2%... Most are 1% and lower. I know I mix at lower percentages than most but it's just something to keep in mind.

VU Sponsors