Become a Patron!

GX350 burned my TFV8 Baby Beast

Programen

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone, I have a weird problem.

I have a TFV8 Baby Beast atty - usually on an Eleaf iStick Pico. I bought a TFV12 along with a GX350 last week though (they work perfectly together) and wanted to try the TFV8 with the GX350.

So I put it on, it was detected as a new coil and the ohms were set accordingly. I set the wattage on 55W, which is the required minimum for the 0.4 ohm Q2 core I had in it. The coil was fine before, but from the GX350, the first drag already tasted burnt. Second drag made me gag - that's how bad it was...completely fried.

After letting go of the fire button, I also noticed that the atty was hissing every 0.5 second or so (like sst...sst...sst) - sounded like a pre-fire or whatever it's called.

So yeah, that's it. Can someone explain wtf happened?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi everyone, I have a weird problem.

I have a TFV8 Baby Beast atty - usually on an Eleaf iStick Pico. I bought a TFV12 along with a GX350 last week though (they work perfectly together) and wanted to try the TFV8 with the GX350.

So I put it on, it was detected as a new coil and the ohms were set accordingly. I set the wattage on 55W, which is the required minimum for the 0.4 ohm Q2 core I had in it. The coil was fine before, but from the GX350, the first drag already tasted burnt. Second drag made me gag - that's how bad it was...completely fried.

After letting go of the fire button, I also noticed that the atty was hissing every 0.5 second or so (like sst...sst...sst) - sounded like a pre-fire or whatever it's called.

So yeah, that's it. Can someone explain wtf happened?
when you say the ohms were set, you mean the device read at .4 ohms (give or take a little) and you chose new coil?
did you prime the coil before using it?
Did you have it on a hard preheat maybe?
For me that coil is a 40-45 watt coil, i think smok overrated them a bit.
The hissing sound would be normal if your coil is still hot it needs to cool down

If i had to guess the pico probably wasn't putting out 55 watts and the GX350 was maybe even with a hard preheat and it was too much. I'd suggest starting at 40 watts and use the soft preheat and see how it vapes for you then raise it up a bit. Also how hard you suck plays a factor since that is what cools the coil.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I believe he's saying the coil was hissing at intervals as if power was still pulsing through it even after he stopped firing it. I have no idea what would cause that, other than maybe a short in the mod. If it was just a steadily softening hiss I'd agree it was just cooling down.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I believe he's saying the coil was hissing at intervals as if power was still pulsing through it even after he stopped firing it. I have no idea what would cause that, other than maybe a short in the mod. If it was just a steadily softening hiss I'd agree it was just cooling down.
This is a good point too. Was the mod auto firing?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have you got any other attys to try on it? Do they do a similar thing

Are you in power mode (watt mode on smok) ... I know you said 55w but could have been temp mode?

The sound you describe how long did it last for overall ...sure it wasn't the juice still bubbling on the coil?

Is the fire button sticking does it spring back out ok after you release?

I had a Smok premade coil once bloody thing shorted and my mod didn't pick it up! :D Taste was aweful wasn't a normal burnt cotton taste more like a metallic melting SS taste because the wire fused to the casing no shit ....think I was a lucky mofo on that occasion ...how would you describe the taste you had?

Programen

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I didn't get any e-mails about all those replies...sorry for not replying.

But yeah, I don't think I'll be risking it anymore, I'll just leave the TFV8 on the Pico and maybe try again after I'm done with a coil, on 40W and soft "strength" setting.

Tried with a WOTOFO Lush and it was fine though, so maybe SirRichardRear was right about the Pico actually less watts than it said. Btw the Q4 was not new - it was running just fine on the Pico before.

And it did sound like it was auto-firing, which I find super weird. Mod is brand new and fire button works just fine.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So I didn't get any e-mails about all those replies...sorry for not replying.

But yeah, I don't think I'll be risking it anymore, I'll just leave the TFV8 on the Pico and maybe try again after I'm done with a coil, on 40W and soft "strength" setting.

Tried with a WOTOFO Lush and it was fine though, so maybe SirRichardRear was right about the Pico actually less watts than it said. Btw the Q4 was not new - it was running just fine on the Pico before.

And it did sound like it was auto-firing, which I find super weird. Mod is brand new and fire button works just fine.
If it's still under warranty return it mate a self firing button is not good

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If anyone's still interested, I tried it again and it works just fine. Not sure what I did wrong the first time though...
Help ! I have the same set up only a baby beast ... mine died today ? In watts mode on 50 watts I've only had it 3 days the shop is rude and their inbox is full .. nice aye? Anyway it works in bypass mode ? I didn't set the ohms at first I didn't know how to ans I read it and read it I have the Q2 .4 ohms (I didn't set my pico istick tho I don't know how ? I read it and I'm nervous I feel so stupid) ... coil it came with the baby V8 ans my istick pico 75W will only fire on bypass? Not working in watt mode since I came home .. had it in my purse and in my car for 10 mins car and then I
Took hit worked then purse and came out of store and it won't hit ? Help? Only in bypass and I'm nervous ... helppp on brand new here just found the site and not sure where to post this ? Help ? I'm glad yours is working but it seems scary the button was or seemed to stick too? Help anyone ? ahhhh i posted this in the ask a professional and upgraded the firmware and its fine now .. oops lol

Last edited:

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
when you say the ohms were set, you mean the device read at .4 ohms (give or take a little) and you chose new coil?
did you prime the coil before using it?
Did you have it on a hard preheat maybe?
For me that coil is a 40-45 watt coil, i think smok overrated them a bit.
The hissing sound would be normal if your coil is still hot it needs to cool down

If i had to guess the pico probably wasn't putting out 55 watts and the GX350 was maybe even with a hard preheat and it was too much. I'd suggest starting at 40 watts and use the soft preheat and see how it vapes for you then raise it up a bit. Also how hard you suck plays a factor since that is what cools the coil.
hi can you help me a bit to understand… i think because i only use my mod in VW or BYPASS or SMART is that why even tho i upgraded i can’t see the “puffs” menu? or oled? im new to this mod… so im not using temp control … as i have the baby beast coils that cannot be used for that.. im just getting to know it.. so would that be why i dont get as many um? ahh can’t think,… the puff menu etc? because its not used in temp control? thanks .. the on line store was super mean … i was used to volcano for 5 years and they dont sell this box mod and theirs wasn’t upgradeable on a mac .. only pc thanks for everyones patience

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
hi can you help me a bit to understand… i think because i only use my mod in VW or BYPASS or SMART is that why even tho i upgraded i can’t see the “puffs” menu? or oled? im new to this mod… so im not using temp control … as i have the baby beast coils that cannot be used for that.. im just getting to know it.. so would that be why i dont get as many um? ahh can’t think,… the puff menu etc? because its not used in temp control? thanks .. the on line store was super mean … i was used to volcano for 5 years and they dont sell this box mod and theirs wasn’t upgradeable on a mac .. only pc thanks for everyones patience
what mod? the gx350 doesn't have a bypass mode?

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what mod? the gx350 doesn't have a bypass mode?
Hi it's the pico TC ...yes bypass and smart I'm using it on wattage now ... but the firmware says it has the "puffs" Menü? I can't find it ? I've searched videos too ? Am I making sense ? Btw I love your vidis! And thanks for all the battery info ! I'll be back to hug you later :) Thank you so much !

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi it's the pico TC ...yes bypass and smart I'm using it on wattage now ... but the firmware says it has the "puffs" Menü? I can't find it ? I've searched videos too ? Am I making sense ? Btw I love your vidis! And thanks for all the battery info ! I'll be back to hug you later :) Thank you so much !
Lol thanks for watching. The bypass mode turns it into a mech. It fires right from the battery. No protections. The smart mode I believe is supposed to regulate the power itself to give a consistent vape but I'm still checking that portion out myself on another mod

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol thanks for watching. The bypass mode turns it into a mech. It fires right from the battery. No protections. The smart mode I believe is supposed to regulate the power itself to give a consistent vape but I'm still checking that portion out myself on another mod

Hi ok so where is my "puffs screen" ? Do you know? It shows it on the firmware upgrade I did and I have no idea ? I was linked from @wally on this site to the eleaf ! He saved me I couldn't get the wattage mode to keep working :) it was the lack of upgrade :) so I'm all excited now lol and want to see the menu? Or screen :( I can't find it :( I found the other new screens .. maybe because I used a Mac ? Not a PC? Even tho it's Mac friendly kinda lol oh oops ! I am using the baby beast tank so I can't go into TC because of the "k coils" :)

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi ok so where is my "puffs screen" ? Do you know? It shows it on the firmware upgrade I did and I have no idea ? I was linked from @wally on this site to the eleaf ! He saved me I couldn't get the wattage mode to keep working :) it was the lack of upgrade :) so I'm all excited now lol and want to see the menu? Or screen :( I can't find it :( I found the other new screens .. maybe because I used a Mac ? Not a PC? Even tho it's Mac friendly kinda lol
I don't have a pico myself but try 3 clicks of the fire button and use the right menu button to scroll?

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have a pico myself but try 3 clicks of the fire button and use the right menu button to scroll?

Yeah you're right that's what it says !! No puffs for me lol ... thanks so much ... maybe because I used a Mac? It's confusing Stil for me so maybe I should wait before and search more ? Or ? Also on the firmware update page on eleaf it doesn't tell you evennin the instructions... about the puffs menu lol it's fired ... no pun intended .. ok thanks maybe the Mac thing? I also can't change settings on line like I've seen people do on here ... I'm way to new to the box mods .. so I'll wait and learn this much before I start driving everyone crazy ! I do love playing around and the firmware :) thanks so very much .. you are correct as per the site and instructions it's just hiding from me ? Maybe? Lol

I got my gx350 about 4 months ago now. I absolutely love the thing, got a custom silicone sleeve and even engraved it. But about a month ago it went all down hill.
I noticed my device literally auto-firing! Like the firing bar was stuck. So when I took the batteries out to give it a once over to check for a short it seemed fine (my battery wraps that is). So i thought maybe some dried up juice was affected the button internally. Put a bit of wd40 in the small firing bar grooves, made sure to clean out the internal battery component with a clean micro fiber cloth and let it sit for 20minutes before cleaning it again then leaving it to sit overnight (this is of course with no batteries in) just so i don't fire the mod with grease clogging the inside.

Two weeks later, the device was working perfectly, no misfires, no stuck firing bar, no short.

I am sitting at work with my device on my desk and i just had to take the batteries out because it auto fired. If i hadn't it would of burnt the coil and cause a "health risk".

If anyone has any knowledge of whether its something i can do (preferably because I'm out of the warranty) or is it just down to chucking it in the bin for my own sake.

Programen

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got my gx350 about 4 months ago now. I absolutely love the thing, got a custom silicone sleeve and even engraved it. But about a month ago it went all down hill.
I noticed my device literally auto-firing! Like the firing bar was stuck. So when I took the batteries out to give it a once over to check for a short it seemed fine (my battery wraps that is). So i thought maybe some dried up juice was affected the button internally. Put a bit of wd40 in the small firing bar grooves, made sure to clean out the internal battery component with a clean micro fiber cloth and let it sit for 20minutes before cleaning it again then leaving it to sit overnight (this is of course with no batteries in) just so i don't fire the mod with grease clogging the inside.

Two weeks later, the device was working perfectly, no misfires, no stuck firing bar, no short.

I am sitting at work with my device on my desk and i just had to take the batteries out because it auto fired. If i hadn't it would of burnt the coil and cause a "health risk".

If anyone has any knowledge of whether its something i can do (preferably because I'm out of the warranty) or is it just down to chucking it in the bin for my own sake.

Personally, I'd toss it. The button trigger (or whatever you call it) is probably broken and sticking. It can probably be replaced, but I wouldn't try that myself. So unless you know of a place where they could repair it, I'd toss it and buy a Reuleaux RX300 instead. I find those are better made. Personally, I wouldn't recomment the GX350 to anyone, it's just bad and overpriced. Not only physically poorly made, but the software also sucks...

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, I'd toss it. The button trigger (or whatever you call it) is probably broken and sticking. It can probably be replaced, but I wouldn't try that myself. So unless you know of a place where they could repair it, I'd toss it and buy a Reuleaux RX300 instead. I find those are better made. Personally, I wouldn't recomment the GX350 to anyone, it's just bad and overpriced. Not only physically poorly made, but the software also sucks...
I love my REUX RX300... also becarful not to leave the mod in the USB mode (that's for the reverse charge) for another device .. do you think that's why some reviews say theirs "auto fires" even on the RX300? Mine hasn't .. but I did notice if you don't have it locked it can change that USB feature and it stays on even with a tank ... it's not for charging ... the feature it's the one that just says USB ... am i making sense ? Lol I know what I'm thinking ... it's hard to explain :)

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Hey does it have the USB that reverses to charge another unit or a phone ? The reverse ? I've noticed on my RX300 it has that option to turn on the USB ... maybe that's what's making it auto fire ? Have you called the company ? I would ? Check that if it comes with it ... I know my RX does and it will stay in the reverse USB mode if you accidentally trump it on.. and go to power ... like it's going to use the tank ... i don't know if im explaining but I make sure that is off now and I have never had any problems ... I'm glad I saw that feature the description or instruction for it wasn't in my book so I wouldn't have known... I know my mod can be used to charge another mod or my iPhone etc .. but it didn't explain to put it in the USB mode .. ok I'm babbling .. does this make sense ? If so see if it's set on the USB mode .. that might make it do that .. I would deffo call the manufacturer they might know why or it could be a firmware upgrade ? I know on my pico I asked here why it wasn't firing and they told me to upgrade it ... it worked :) ... I don't know if I helped but I tried :)

nicounderground

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah you're right that's what it says !! No puffs for me lol ... thanks so much ... maybe because I used a Mac? It's confusing Stil for me so maybe I should wait before and search more ? Or ? Also on the firmware update page on eleaf it doesn't tell you evennin the instructions... about the puffs menu lol it's fired ... no pun intended .. ok thanks maybe the Mac thing? I also can't change settings on line like I've seen people do on here ... I'm way to new to the box mods .. so I'll wait and learn this much before I start driving everyone crazy ! I do love playing around and the firmware :) thanks so very much .. you are correct as per the site and instructions it's just hiding from me ? Maybe? Lol
Ahhh I figured it out :) yeyeyeye ! On both my picos :) !

VU Sponsors