Become a Patron!

Hangsen's Tobaccos

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After testing the 11 Hangsen tobacco flavors I purchased a while back, I thought my findings might be of some use to the forum. These aren't particularly in depth tests, I just tried each at 3%. But they should be useful to give people a starting point when deciding which, if any, of Hangsen's tobacco flavors they want to try out.

I'll give my summation here at the top. Besides a few outliers, there's not much variety with this brand's tobacco flavors, at least the 11 I tried. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It means there's really no reason to purchase the full line of flavors. And what this brand does offer are some really good, realistic cigarette tobaccos flavors, that aren't sweet, but aren't particularly complex. This is now my go to brand for base flavorings for a cigarette tobacco mix. Seven of them are very similar, and equally good, cigarette tobacco flavors. This is very different than, say, FA, where most of their tobaccos are completely different, with most of them being either love it or hate it.

Please add your thoughts, recipes etc, if you have them. Without further ado, all made at 3% flavoring with and 70% VG:

The Outliers:

BD Tobacco –

12/16/15 – 3% - A nice, pleasant “melon” tobacco flavor. This was put in an RTA after a tank of a light cigarette menthol mix, and the menthol definitely served to “brighten” up the melon notes of this flavor, making it more pronounced and a bit sweeter. After that when away, the melon mellowed out, became less pronounced, and made the flavor taste more “tobacco.” The initial “menthol coolness” detected seems to have been totally provided by the previous tank of menthol light flavor. At this percentage, this is a mild melon flavored light cigarette tobacco vape.

New Bay –

1/9/15 – 3% - this is a citrusy cigarette tobacco vape. Slight coolness with the citrus flavor. Definite, though mild, cigarette tobacco flavor on the exhale. Pleasant standalone at this percentage, if a citrusy cooling tobacco flavor is what you’re after. Not hugely exciting standalone, though seems limited on mixing options. Bringing out the citrus would kill the tobacco flavor, though emphasizing the tobacco, and upping the “cooling” factor could make for a refreshing, fruity cigarette vape.

The Conventional:

Tobacco –

12/8/15 - 3% - has a mild, slightly “papery,” slightly yellow tobacco flavor. Slight sweet note. Could be good as a base at this percentage, with some oakwood, black fire, something with a stronger tobacco flavor, it could make a good cigarette vape. Need to try at 5% next.

Hava Tobacco –

12/9/15 – 3% - slightly smoother than Tobacco at same percentage, still a cigarette tobacco flavor. Less “yellow” than Tobacco, more neutral. Would also work well as a cigarette tobacco base, but not much interest standalone at this percentage. Doesn’t seem to need an increase as much as Tobacco, just needs other flavors added to create a more complex, interesting vape.

Virginia Tobacco –

1/11/15 – 3% - light at this percentage. Not overly “grassy” or “yellow.” Pleasant, but not overly flavorful. Need to increase % in get a feel for this flavor.

Turkish Blended Tobacco –

12/13/15 – 3% - this does have a realistic “Turkish” tobacco, spicy flavor, though it is light at this percentage. Light on the inhale, with the Turkish spice flavor on the exhale. Seems like a good flavor, but need to test at a higher percentage to get the true flavor. – After vaping for a little longer, I wouldn’t say it’s too too weak at this percentage. I would try 4% next as opposed to 5%. The “tobacco” flavor isn’t as present at this percentage with TBT as it is with the other Hangsen flavors I’ve tried, but there is still a tangible cigarette “mouth feel,” no sweetness (outside of the VG poking through a bit), with a light “Turkish” cigarette flavor appearing on the exhale. Not bad at this percentage for a light cigarette flavor on its own. It’s not as “forward” at this percentage that the others, but pleasant if you’re wanting a lighter cigarette flavor that still has some “oomph” to it.

Cigar –

12/18/15 – 3% - not much of a cigar flavor at this percentage. Another cigarette flavor, nice and neutral, no sweetness except maybe the lightest maple note on the exhale. Would be useful as a cigarette base around this percentage.

Smooth –

12/12/15 – 3% - a nice, pleasant cigarette tobacco flavor at this percentage. Not complex, simple, but nice. Neutral, not sweet, but not as dry as Cuba. Would work well as a base for a cigarette flavor.

USA Mix –

12/14/15 – 3% - another useful cigarette tobacco flavor. Good at this percentage. “Tighter” cigarette flavor than these others, dry, not sweet. Simple, not complex. Definitely useful as a base for a cigarette flavor, but doesn’t stand out as being much different from the rest tested thus far.

The Ever So Slightly "Cigarish":

RY3 –

1/8/15 – 3% - more on the cigar side of the tobacco flavors. A bit wet on the inhale, a bit dry on the exhale, a nice balance on that level. A slight “yellow” grassy note adds some complexity. Strong enough standalone at this percentage, but would benefit from being added to a mix, to make for a more interesting cigar tobacco vape.

Cuba –

12/11/15 – 3% - A very nice, mostly neutral “cigar” flavor that, at least at this percentage, also references a more cigarette-like tobacco flavor. Brings to mind tightly wrapped leafs of tobacco. Definite “dryness.” Slight honey note adds a hint of sweetness. Would work very well as a base for a more “tobacco-like” cigarette, or for a cigar base. Pleasant at this percentage standalone for a simple cigar-ish cigarette flavor, dry but with a hint of sweetness for interest.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
~ Light Cigarette ~

USA Mix 1.5%
Smooth 1.5%

PER 15ML: 1 drop FA Oakwood, FA Black Fire, Burley

A smooth and flavorful light cigarette, without any of the sweetness that can turn a new vaper off from the hobby. This is a go to recipe of mine for someone who is brand new to vaping, and wants something that tastes like the light cigarettes they've been smoking for decades.

~ Menthol Lights (Kools) ~

USA Mix 2%
Cigar 2%
Menthol (In my case, FW Menthol) 2%

In this case, a customer asked me to make him something that tasted like the Kools he's been smoking for decades. He stated a 5 out of 5 in terms of menthol, and a 3 or 4 for the cigarette tobacco flavor. This seems to have done the trick for him. It's pretty strong on the menthol, but will hit home with anyone who is used to smoking a heavy on the menthol cigarette.

~ "Cigar-ette" ~

Cuba 2%
RY3 2%
Turkish Blended 1%

A very realistic and authentic tobacco flavor, like a strong cigarette or light cigar (hence the not so creative name). There are no other weird flavors here, nothing to turn off the new vaper to the hobby. Just a simple, bare bones, strong cigarette flavor that brings to mind the experience of standing next to a professional cigar roller. This has been a very popular flavor of mine, and is strong enough to work even with my customers who use your basic eGo-style devices.

~ Turkish Cigarette v1 ~

Hava 1%
Turkish Blended 3%

PER 15ML: 1 drop FA Oakwood, FA Black Fire

Made this for a customer who is using an eGo-style device. She liked it, but wanted it a bit stronger, hence:

~ Turkish Cigarette v2 ~

Hava 1.5%
Turkish Blended 4%

PER 30ML: 1 Drop TFA Cubano, FA Oakwood, 2 drops FA Black Fire, FA Burley

This did the trick, and she has since ordered 100s of mls of this juice. An authentic spiciness you'd expect with a Turkish-type cigarette, no off notes or undesirable sweetness that you get with some brands' attempts at this type of flavor.

Last edited:

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have enjoyed all the Hangsen tobaccos I've tried, as well, rchmx. Without checking my notes and keeping in mind that I'm trying them single flavors, I enjoyed the Pure enough that I bought all theat BuyHangsen.com had on hand before they closed shop. Besides being a soft, pleasant vape on its own, it's an ingredient in one or more of the mythical/lagendays Boba's clones. I didn't get a cigar note from the RY3 but otherwise agree with your assessment. I just started on the RY4 which I rushed to vape after a four-hour heat sleep so the characteristics are continuing to unfold (about four days now). The definite sweetnass lacks a caramel/vanilla punch in what is becoming a characteristically soft tobacco vape but promises more to come as it gets some time. All mine were mixed @ 5% in a Max VG base at 12% nic FWIW.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your input guys! I am curious to try other Hangsen tobaccos that ECX didn't happen to have in stock when I placed my order.

I didn't get a cigar note from the RY3

Ya, I should definitely add "in comparison to the 6 other cigarette flavors I had tried to that point." I wouldn't necessarily recommend RY3 to someone wanting to create a cigar flavor, but compared to most of the other Hangsen tobacco flavors I tried, it's the one that could be pushed in the cigar direction the most, after Cuba. I'd describe the cigarette flavors as having a "tighter" tobacco flavor, while RY3 had a "broader" flavor, like the thicker roll of tobacco leaves you get with a cigar, if that makes sense. You'd definitely need to add some other flavors to bring out the cigar flavor more in RY3, but it seems like it'd be more at home in a cigar recipe than a cigarette recipe, at least in comparison to the other Hangsen tobacco flavors I tried.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't often vape tobacco flavors anymore, but out of several Hangsons I have Indian is my favorite

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry it has taken me a while, but I've finally updated with a couple basic recipes.

Other shops still selling them ?

I think I bought the last stock of quite a few flavors at ECX, but Bull City still has them. As does RTS Vapes, as well as vapingzone and diyvaporsupply, though the prices are pretty high for these guys.

VinceV1

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I bought the last stock of quite a few flavors at ECX, but Bull City still has them. As does RTS Vapes, as well as vapingzone and diyvaporsupply, though the prices are pretty high for these guys.[/QUOTE]

ECX... This is you ! :xD:

THX

Last edited:

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've made costly mistakes ordering way too much in the past ;)

Ya, totally. I know I'll never use that whole 500ml, but at $30 I could resist. Hopefully I'll be able to use it for a couple years. My first ever DIY flavor purchase several years ago was 7-8 4 oz bottles from FW (chosen mostly at random). You live and you learn, though they're supposed to have a 2 year shelf life as well, and I haven't noticed any change in the 2 flavors I still actually use.

VU Sponsors