Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello ALL:
Not new to vaping (3 years). Build Box mods and love for all things not phallic. LOL. I do love my copper mods though and my Black Hack,my Ver.2 TurtleShip, and any hybrid. This forum seems to fit my personality better than most. Hi everyone!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi @Uber300 welcome to the underground. What mod boxes have you made? I'm sitting here right now practising my soldering skills on a old wartime radio

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Started with Altoids Boxes, but I have a pretty extensive background in woodworking, so most of what I have made is a result of that background. I am currently working with a material (which will for now remain secret) that I have not seen in box mods. I usually make unregulated mods, but am venturing into the raptor arena with my new design. I think its about time I started making some real money for my talent. The wartime radio sounds awesome! I'm a bit Steampunk, so I love things of yore mixed with new tech.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are the raptor chips expensive? Well I'm just practising with the radio but I keep thinking I could do something when I'm done. It's in a nice box with a flip open lid.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi & welcome! :)

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are the raptor chips expensive? Well I'm just practising with the radio but I keep thinking I could do something when I'm done. It's in a nice box with a flip open lid.
The 120watt/20 amp okrt20 Raptor chips are about 30 bucks, that is if you can find one from a retailer. There is one for sale on eBay right now for $50 ( ) Digikey.com carries a lot of okr chips, ranging for 20 to 60 watts,10-20$. The Raptor is kinda overkill in IMO, but I will build what people want and this is what they want.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 120watt/20 amp okrt20 Raptor chips are about 30 bucks, that is if you can find one from a retailer. There is one for sale on eBay right now for $50 ( ) Digikey.com carries a lot of okr chips, ranging for 20 to 60 watts,10-20$. The Raptor is kinda overkill in IMO, but I will build what people want and this is what they want.
Afternoon :) There's a lot to building an okr board isn't there. It's not like a DNA board where you just solder wires to it

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, its not as straight forward. or let's say as easy as a Evolv DNA Board, but the principle is the same. It is as easy as soldering wires to it, the boards all come with pretty straight forward instructions as to the wiring. Evolv currently has plenty of stocked DNA30, 20, even a 12 watt chip, the former can be had for $51.49(shipping included). I see that you live in the UK, so it might cost you a bit more. For hands down reliability, ease of use and installation the Evolve chips are the way to go IMO. You can cloud chase all day with even a 20 watt and the right build. YiHi chips are out there as well, they are easily updated with their software component. Meaning, if you purchase a 30watt chip from them, the chip can be upgraded to a 40watt chip from there website. They. however, are being priced out of the market IMO, costing nearly $90.00, for anyone trying to create a mod that they can make money off.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those older 12w evolv chips are being sold off quite cheap in the uk actually. But they're not variable are they? We have a small modding uk group on a messenger type app in the uk and some of the guys are using the LM boards as they're less than a dollar. I don't like them. They get too hot. I buy DNAs from fasttech.

I can understand if someone wants to build themselves a one off Modbox with all the bells and whistles as a fun project - then go for it. Spend 90 bucks! It's the same with the SX chip. It's still very dear atm. There's a lot of heated debate on reddit over dna vs okr. It's silly really. You said you were a carpenter. That was my first career, mostly first and second fixes. People seem to like wood mod boxes but I don't think I'll make one.

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have used wood, but my new project is with a completely different material. It's one I have used quite extensively in knife-making(yes, I do that as well). As I stated earlier, I have not seen its use in any box mod, so I reluctant to tell anyone what it is. I will have my first prototype finished by the end of this weekend. When I am done I will post pics on this forum. I love this forum, and I hope it stays as it is. I have been largely turned off by the larger forums. I am currently an Event Coordinator for a large insurance company. I learned woodworking from my father and have worked as a carpenter off and on. I am schooled as a philosopher, I just finished my MA in philosophy. We all know that is not gonna pay the bills. I wear many hats, but my own ingenuity and creativity have always made me the most money and, more importantly, give me a reason to live. Vaping saved my life. I was smoking almost 3 packs of analogs a day for nearly 20 years. Now I can breathe and my overall lifestyle is more healthy. Something about smokers and smoking, they all seem very fatalistic, or at least I was. The attitude, " Well, cigarettes are gonna kill me anyway!" Seemed to have a very profound affect on my life. Now that I no longer view life on those terms, well, it's almost akin to a spiritual awakening.

VU Sponsors