Become a Patron!

Harsh flavors

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok...I have recently required a recipe, for Key Lime Pie, from a very reliable source. I made the juice exactly how its supposed to be made and my mix is at 80% VG and 20% PG, Nic Solution is 100% VG, 100mg/ml @ 6mg. It was extremely harsh upon vaping. Doesn't matter if I put 10%, 5% or even 2% flavor. I played around with it and eventually removed the Key Lime (TFA) from the recipe and replaced it with Pineapple (TFA) and it was very smooth and tasted quite good. The Key Lime (TFA) caused the harsh hit. Also, my Watermelon flavor (LorAnn), that I have vaped quite frequently in the past, is now too harsh to vape, including Raspberry (LorAnn). Any ideas on what the hell is going on with the harshness of the flavors?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok...I have recently required a recipe, for Key Lime Pie, from a very reliable source. I made the juice exactly how its supposed to be made and my mix is at 80% VG and 20% PG, Nic Solution is 100% VG, 100mg/ml @ 6mg. It was extremely harsh upon vaping. Doesn't matter if I put 10%, 5% or even 2% flavor. I played around with it and eventually removed the Key Lime (TFA) from the recipe and replaced it with Pineapple (TFA) and it was very smooth and tasted quite good. The Key Lime (TFA) caused the harsh hit. Also, my Watermelon flavor (LorAnn), that I have vaped quite frequently in the past, is now too harsh to vape, including Raspberry (LorAnn). Any ideas on what the hell is going on with the harshness of the flavors?

Are you vaping at a lower resistance than usual? Some flavors have a sweet spot when it comes to ohms - some shine lower, and some shine higher. I can't think what else would be the problem as you've tried them as low as 2%? Have you changed the PG, VG, or nic recently? I know some people have had pg go off, and that can make things taste bad.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you vaping at a lower resistance than usual? Some flavors have a sweet spot when it comes to ohms - some shine lower, and some shine higher. I can't think what else would be the problem as you've tried them as low as 2%? Have you changed the PG, VG, or nic recently? I know some people have had pg go off, and that can make things taste bad.
I have vaped it from 1.15ohm to .65ohm. Doesn't matter where its set, or what atty I am using. Its harsh as hell! I tried 100% VG mix as well.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try it without nicotine perhaps?
I did. It's got me stumped. I guess I will just stay away from those for a while and try again at a later date. Can't hurt :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mix a drop of the key lime with 4-5 drops of VG (no nic) and taste it. Does it taste like key lime or does it have a chemical flavor?

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
mix a drop of the key lime with 4-5 drops of VG (no nic) and taste it. Does it taste like key lime or does it have a chemical flavor?
Tastes like Key Lime

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try 1 drop of key lime with 6-7 drops of VG and vape it. Does it taste harsh? By process of elimination with the flavors in your recipe, you can find the combination that creates the harsh taste...

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try 1 drop of key lime with 6-7 drops of VG and vape it. Does it taste harsh? By process of elimination with the flavors in your recipe, you can find the combination that creates the harsh taste...
That vapes smooth. I had it mixed with cheesecake graham cracker and cheesecake. I put those two flavors with pineapple and its smooth. I put keylime with it, minus pineapple, and its harsh. I put strawberry with the two, minus key lime and its harsh.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its smooth by itself, but with cheesecake graham cracker and cheesecake, its harsh. Strawberry, raspberry and watermelon are harsh straight or mixed with flavors.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tasted the exact same recipe from another vaper and it tasted good and was smooth. I make it the same way and its harsh. sucks, but it is what it is.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I tasted the exact same recipe from another vaper and it tasted good and was smooth. I make it the same way and its harsh. sucks, but it is what it is.

Was yours fresh-mixed, while your friend's was aged?

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Was yours fresh-mixed, while your friend's was aged?
mine was fresh mixed, and I also let it steep for a few days to see if it would still be harsh, and it was still harsh. Key Lime alone is smooth, but when mixed with either cheesecake graham cracker, or cheesecake its harsh. The recipe came from Thunderball :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Well, there goes that theory.

Hmm...not many other causes I can think of. Did you shake the flavors before you measured, and shake the finished bottle right before using it? Other than that, I have no clue.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, there goes that theory.

Hmm...not many other causes I can think of. Did you shake the flavors before you measured, and shake the finished bottle right before using it? Other than that, I have no clue.
Yep, I shake 'em before I mix 'em. Its extremely stupid bro. I cant wrap my brain around it :/

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I shake 'em before I mix 'em. Its extremely stupid bro. I cant wrap my brain around it :/
All the flavors, alone, are smooth, but when mixed together, it vapes harsh. I mix the cheesecake graham cracker and cheese cake with pineapple, its smooth. I even went and bought a small bottle of key lime pie and its smooth. It's quite baffling. Hell, I keep up the changes and investigating this, who knows, I might end up with a cure for cancer, lol!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Did you taste it in the same equipment? A difference in that could be the culprit!

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All the flavors, alone, are smooth, but when mixed together, it vapes harsh. I mix the cheesecake graham cracker and cheese cake with pineapple, its smooth. I even went and bought a small bottle of key lime pie and its smooth. It's quite baffling. Hell, I keep up the changes and investigating this, who knows, I might end up with a cure for cancer, lol!
The Nic solution came from Heartland Vapes, but I don't think it's that. I use it in all of my mixes and it's comes out just fine.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Nic solution came from Heartland Vapes, but I don't think it's that. I use it in all of my mixes and it's comes out just fine.

If you tasted it when it was made with VT nic that does make a very big difference as to harshness.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Did you taste it in the same equipment? A difference in that could be the culprit!
Yes, I did. I tried it in my Atlantis, my Lemo and my dripper. Same results in all three.

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you tasted it when it was made with VT nic that does make a very big difference as to harshness.
Not quite sure what VT nic is. Is that Vaper Tech?

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got mine from Heartland Vapers. 100% VG Nic @ 100mg/ml

VU Sponsors