TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys,

I've been getting super harsh hits. The first time I juice up the wicks the first pull is fine, but after that I get really intense throat hits. It's not a dry hit by any means, just a harsh vape. I'm running at 80watts with a VC X1 with my own built coils ( duel 22g 8 wrap ohming in at 0.25 ) with 0.6mg of nicotine on an alien mod.

What could be causing this?

Cheers.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys,

I've been getting super harsh hits. The first time I juice up the wicks the first pull is fine, but after that I get really intense throat hits. It's not a dry hit by any means, just a harsh vape. I'm running at 80watts with a VC X1 with my own built coils ( duel 22g 8 wrap ohming in at 0.25 ) with 0.6mg of nicotine on an alien mod.

Cheers.
Could be too much nicotine or PG in the juice, poor quality nicotine, or just poor quality juice.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Could be too much nicotine or PG in the juice, poor quality nicotine, or just poor quality juice.

I'm using nicotine from nude nicotine and premium juice ( Loaded Glazed Donuts ). I've vaped the same nicotine and juice together in my alien without a problem.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm just guessing your wicking can't keep up. I don't know but assume your wicking with cotton, try rayon, it kicks the shit out of cotton for wicking ability as long as you thin out the tails. If its a dripper, 22 gauge equals thirsty coils.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm just guessing your wicking can't keep up. I don't know but assume your wicking with cotton, try rayon, it kicks the shit out of cotton for wicking ability as long as you thin out the tails. If its a dripper, 22 gauge equals thirsty coils.

But if my wicking can't keep up wouldn't I be getting dry hits? I'm using cotton bacon by the way.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm using nicotine from nude nicotine and premium juice ( Loaded Glazed Donuts ). I've vaped the same nicotine and juice together in my alien without a problem.
I'm out of possibilities. I use 6mg nic as well and NN for the nic in DIY.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm now going to assume that your build is a contact coil. I've burnt the center out of microcoil builds, enough not to build them anymore. I can imagine those thick microcoils cooling down and burning away the juice thats in the coil so its dryish for the next hit. Without a bunch of primer puffs to get the flow going...yup I can see dryhits from not enough juice in the coil cause cotton absorbs the juice and expands and the juice runs inside the fiber while rayon the juice runs outside the fiber and doesn't expand. IMO and lots of others will agree rayon if its wicked properly you will shelve your cotton. Lots of threads in here about rayon so research it out.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm now going to assume that your build is a contact coil. I've burnt the center out of microcoil builds, enough not to build them anymore. I can imagine those thick microcoils cooling down and burning away the juice thats in the coil so its dryish for the next hit. Without a bunch of primer puffs to get the flow going...yup I can see dryhits from not enough juice in the coil cause cotton absorbs the juice and expands and the juice runs inside the fiber while rayon the juice runs outside the fiber and doesn't expand. IMO and lots of others will agree rayon if its wicked properly you will shelve your cotton. Lots of threads in here about rayon so research it out.

I chain vape four hits at a time so maybe I'll just have a vape or two and let it sit for a while to reabsorb the juice to avoid the harsh hit.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Very well could be the problem, using Rayon I don't get the burnt wick in the center of the coils any longer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I chain vape four hits at a time so maybe I'll just have a vape or two and let it sit for a while to reabsorb the juice to avoid the harsh hit.
Have you looked at the wick center since the harsh hits have come?

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So you use rayon then? I make spaced coils, no matter how small the space is....their spaced. From my experience with rayon I'll say your not thinning out the tails enough and your choking the juice flow to the coil. Scrape the tails with sharp tweezers or anything pin type to remove at least a third of the bulk out of the tail. You have to wick the coil ultra tight, almost too tight then thin the bulky tails for rayon to perform at its best.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try taking a draw for about 1/2 to 1 second before hitting the fire button and see if that makes any difference. You could also try taking another draw without power right after a draw and see how much vapor the coils are still able to produce, if it's a fair amount, it's a safe bet than the wicks are getting dry by residual heat left in the coils and they might be a bit too dry to keep up.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Try taking a draw for about 1/2 to 1 second before hitting the fire button and see if that makes any difference. You could also try taking another draw without power right after a draw and see how much vapor the coils are still able to produce, if it's a fair amount, it's a safe bet than the wicks are getting dry by residual heat left in the coils and they might be a bit too dry to keep up.

I just tried the draw after a vape and there was very little amount of vapor produced.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Too add to Marks post....Continue the hit but not as hard after to stop the power for a couple seconds, cools down the coil faster, being so thick it would take a while to cool off.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Indeed, 22 gauge wire has a lot of coil mass which dries the center of the coil after taking a vape.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As long as you can hear the coil crackling, popping and hissing or any noise after you take the vape is how much juice is leaving the coil by being cooked and not vaporized and the burning leads to cocooning and rewicking sooner.

You didn't answer...rayon or cotton

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't use cotton anymore as I prefer the vape I get with rayon. I have never used cotton bacon, but I do know that some cotton tastes funky/harsh until it gets "broken in" so to speak. If that's not it, I'm kinda at a loss.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
New
I don't use cotton anymore as I prefer the vape I get with rayon. I have never used cotton bacon

I had a very short run with cotton then went to hemp to rewick my protanks. You have to remove the bunnies and off colored shards, a bunch of hassle but it lasted longer than cotton and wicked better. Once I discovered rayon I never looked back. If you get a breakin taste with rayon then its wicked wrong, prolly too loose in the coil.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had a very short run with cotton then went to hemp to rewick my protanks. You have to remove the bunnies and off colored shards, a bunch of hassle but it lasted longer than cotton and wicked better. Once I discovered rayon I never looked back. If you get a breakin taste with rayon then its wicked wrong, prolly too loose in the coil.
I never had that problem with my own coils/wicks, it was premade coils. I made the switch to rayon after reading about how much better it is in the forum. I like that it is way more resistant to charring if you take one hit too many without re dripping.
I had a friend give me some to try, and I never looked back either. I bought a 500' box of the stuff. I figure I'm set fro life on wicking material.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm still guessing he's using cotton and with such thick coils wicking is crucial. I hate the rabbit ears and stuff method so many use, keeping the fibers especially with rayon straight and consistent for the best juice flow is key to good wicking. My subtank mini's never leak and thats cause of hows it wicked. I get superb vapes with my builds out of my subtank mini that I have not had the need to build a dripper.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm still guessing he's using cotton and with such thick coils wicking is crucial. I hate the rabbit ears and stuff method so many use, keeping the fibers especially with rayon straight and consistent for the best juice flow is key to good wicking. My subtank mini's never leak and thats cause of hows it wicked. I get superb vapes with my builds out of my subtank mini that I have not had the need to build a dripper.
You may have missed it, but he clarified that he's using cotton bacon. I don't have leaking issues with my tanks either, but just prefer the vape I get with an RDA. I only vape tanks when driving. Once I get a squonk box, I'll probably not need tanks much at all.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought a 500' box of the stuff. I figure I'm set fro life on wicking material.

Yup... cotton bacon. My beer goggles missed it.
I live in a small town so rayon was mail order or get your hairdresser to get you a box. I went to visit my son in Kamloops, who is 7 hours away and soon as we got into town, first stop was Sallys and I walked out with 500 feet if vape nirvana and happier than a pig in shit.
To answer Trackday..... glad you got it figured. Almost all the time its a wicking issue stemed from a microcoil. Give rayon and spaced coils a go and you'll be kicking yourself asking why didn't I do this sooner.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nothing at all. I just wicked the way I always do.

That's kinda funny and so real. Looking at the build then deciding how much to wick remove from the slice, rolling the dice to get the right consistency. Wrapping a coil is the easy part, any monkey an do it but how its wicked determines how good its going to be.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys,

Cheers.
Ok... harsh could be anything from a particular juice ingredient to the mod settings to the build and airflow.....

Assuming the build is ok with other juice......... I would suspect the recipe. If the build is harsh no matter the juice is suspect the build or mod.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ok... harsh could be anything from a particular juice ingredient to the mod settings to the build and airflow.....

Assuming the build is ok with other juice......... I would suspect the recipe. If the build is harsh no matter the juice is suspect the build or mod.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

It was the wick. I rewicked and the harsh hits vanished.

VU Sponsors