Become a Patron!

Has anyone seen anyone build a deck for a atomizer?

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So i was thinking... we can make or build switches and box mods. and coils, and e juices..
Has any one tried to build or machine a atomizer deck and how possible do you think it would be..
I mean if you have the deck from lets say a freak show or any of them you could use the measurement to make a custom one on the lathe.

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that is great deal. I can see that. but i still think it would be cool to build your own. as long as it would work right..

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
there are soooo many sub $10 dripper clones. You would spend more on materials alone if you already had a mill/ CNC/ lathe which I have at my work and still won't try making my own.

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had wondered about it why no one had done it. and now i think i understand. got a point. the metal would be high. and i guessed if you had the lathe then you could cut it out and then put it on a simple mill under the drill press and cut it out. but at the same time not every one has access to those things.
I did not realize that the drippers were so cheap. every thing i see around here is in the 20 and up range. so to see you can get them on the net for that price is great. i wounder why we dont have a happy hour here. or maybe i have not seen it yet.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it takes about 2 weeks to receive items from china with upgraded shipping or spend more than $20 and you get automatic upgrade. or you can buy from angel cigs which has warehouse in the US and get it super fast of course shipping is a bit more. the days of making stuff at home are gone.

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah lol.. it looks so. course i black smith so i make things out of nothing all the time..lol.. my hammers and tools are from axe shafts and high grade steel for punches and other things. you never know i may try to make some things that would add decorative looks for mods or a box that was black smith would be great.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From a craftsmanship perspective I can totally see making your own atty. If you have the tools and ability why not? Yes it's time consuming, but if you have the time and enjoy making stuff just do it. Attys are not very involved design wise really, and the materials (304 SS or a 316) are not very expensive at all. The materials cost for an atty would certainly be under 20.00 even with a good quality SS. The machines are the expensive part, but if you have access to the machines go for it. Who knows, you may design the next big thing in atty's. Let the creative juices flow if you enjoy it.

I design and create mods, and even though I can buy mods off the shelf cheaply, that's not the point at all. I just enjoy designing and making them. One mod took me over a hundred hours to perfect the design and create the final mod. But who cares? It kept me out of the bars and I was doing something I'm passionate about. If you feel the urge to make something yourself don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
keeping yourself out of bars is a choice. i don't ever go into bars and I don't spend 100 hours making something i can buy in a store. but kudos to you for making your own mod. i know there is a certain satisfaction in making your own stuff. I have been vaping since 2009 and spent up until 2012 making my own stuff until retail started booming.

btw, I spend a lot of my time running or in church (yes I go everyday)

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I had access to a metal lathe and drill press I would *definitely* be attempting my own RDAs.
Some hobbies are cheap, some hobbies are expensive, it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy doing it.
Not all DIY is about trying to save money. It is about doing something that you like.
Making something unique
Making something that you can take pride in
Making something that fits your exact needs and wants exactly the way you want it to.

You have control over literally every aspect of the design of the RDA and can build it however you want. Want it 1mm shorter? Go for it, want the posts 1mm further apart? Go for it. Want an RDA with 5 negatives and 1 positive? Go for it. The possibilities are literally endless as to how you can customize it.

I have seen mini metal lathes for under $500. A used one would be even cheaper.
I would love to own a lathe, and mill/cnc. Have wanted to long before vaping.

Last edited:

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the access. and i have a drill press with a milling table under it. I want a lathe. and will get one this yr with taxs. just a cheap one. i am always needing one and make a lot of stuff. so like my knifes i make on the anvil i could use the lathe to make the end caps or guards. so having it to make the decks and post out of would be cool. i think some one could make some new types that would be better then what we have. and there American made.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My brother n I have toyed with the idea of buying a lathe. He wants to build knives but I would want to do what the OP is suggesting.
We would do more than knives and attys though. Like RC car parts, cigar cutters, belt buckles etc..

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On a side note, you don't even *need* a lathe or press to make an RDA.
It wouldn't be pretty, it could leak easily, but would really look DIY.

Just off the top of my mind with minimal thinking about design:
Use a piece of copper pipe as the middle, maybe 1" diamiter and 1 or 2 inches long
Buy a pipe end cap from the hardware store to use as the top cap, drill a hole in it for your drip tip
Get some washers that fit just inside of the pipe to use for the bottom, at least enough for a 1/4 inch stack of them
Stack them and drill holes through them on opposite sides to use for the negative post screws
Put screws through the holes to use as negative posts, the heads on the bottom and a nut right on top to squeeze the washers together. Flush fit would be best
Use two nuts near the tops of the screws to secure coils on the negative posts
A rubber bushing or some other type of insulator for inside of them to insulate the positive post
Drill air holes where desired.

Only things to actually think about
-the positive pin and 510 connection
-securing the bottom to the middle, was thinking screws into the side of the pipe into a hole drilled into the washers. Or if 4 holes are drilled in the sides where the washers are, buy some stiff wire (ie, cotter pin) and bend it to wrap around the middle with the ends sticking into the holes.

Ahh, a possible solution to the leaking just came to mind. If one of the washers is slightly thinner then the others in the stack, it would provide a space to put a rubber o ring around it to help prevent leaks. Could do it with two different washers to allow a larger o-ring or multiple o-rings.

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you know thats a great thought. i thought about some thing close but using small square stock to make the neg post and then use one for the pos post but round when it went inside the deck and use a nylon washer you can get a lot of sizes form low's or homedepot in the plumbing row.

VU Sponsors