1. UP FOR A NEW CHALLENGE? CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT

Has anyone thought about building "abstract" coils? Read me!

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by ej.exe, Jun 5, 2016.

1. ej.exe

ej.exe Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I was a regular on VU a few months ago but I don't post much nowadays. I decided to post this time because I couldn't find anything on google about it!

So the other day I was messing around with some small bits of wire I had in my vape tool kit (TM lol), and trying a few techniques I had learned online (to save wire.... you know how it is learning one of those "super staggered alien double framed parallel braid" coils. But I was running low on wire, and I only had one kind, so that limits my stitching/staggering/double-dipping abilities quite a bit. But I digress...

I tried to do make a bit of alien wire just to see if it would resemble something like what I see here (or on places like PureCoils ). I didn't have enough wire to do enough to actually see if it came out right though, which wasn't very cool. Guess I should just buy more wire!

Then I tried to braid 3 wires, because I've never tried to braid wire before. I've seen videos about the vertebraid and some of the more complex ones like the kumikuyo (however you spell that thing). But never seen a regular, three strand braided coil tutorial (or any other info about it). So I used three pieces of wire, bent at the ends to keep them together, folded the right wire over the center, pulled as tight as possible, then the left, tightened again, and so on etc, making 4-5" of braided wire total.

Then I folded/twisted the end to make sure it didn't come undone, though it seemed pretty solid. I held the braid at the top (where the braid started), and ran a pair of pliers over the braids with light pressure to hopefully straighten out / even up some of the bad spots. I was using 28g round kanthal so I was gentle as I was doing this. There were three strands but 28g is fragile (or I'm super buff). I ran the pliers down the wire several times, with increasing pressure (but never full strength (again, didn't want to break it). I ended with a very flat piece of what used to be three strands braided, but now appeared as a very rough, flat piece of metal with somewhat jagged edges.

It kind of reminded me of a soda can that has spent some serious time in the middle of the street (you know, when the rocks have beaten the shit out of the can for centuries). It did not look like something that would work to make a coil. I literally thought it would break while I was manipulating it.

But because of the flat-ish nature of my new road-can wire, and a video I had watched on Youtube a while earlier (RIP Trippers' Hurricane Coil vid), I decided to try to make my very own OG braided road-can hurricane coil. And it WORKED. (NOTE: I was using a regulated mod [Sigelei 150w], not a mech mod! DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFOREHAND, or leave my name out of it in the ER! But seriously, I'm not sure if this would cause problems in a mech mod, and I'm not going to try it!).

I only had enough for 3.5 wraps to have enough for the leads, but I managed to install it, and wicked it as per the video.put extra cotton on the back, because this thing runs at 0.3 ohms and burns FAST and HOT as hell. Its got decent flavor, and puts out a lot of vapor for being in a FT Magma clone. Never had even a dual coil in my Magma chuck clouds like those!

The point is that the wire did not look like something that would fire. I would bet that some of the layers of "wire" were touching each other, and yet I got no shorts or hot spots (I did at first, but flattened the coil ever so slightly and it burned nicely after).

So I may be jumping to conclusions here, but does that mean that as long as there is continuity, you can literally build whatever shape you want (within the restrictions of your deck and RDA/RTA) and it will fire? In that case you wouldn't even need a coil shape, so is the coil shape just for efficiency (hot wires close to hot wires retaining and generating more heat?)?

I know, these questions are all electrodynamics and physics and speculation etc, but in practical terms, could I make, say, a name in cursive? Could I make a star-shaped coil? What about a "tube" coil with up and down bars (I think a toaster uses one like this)? Or like a 3d pyramid or cube or sphere, etc?

I don't have wire to try all these things (I would have done some of them already), I am totally out of wire at the moment and 100% broke lol. But if you guys have any insights into these weird questions I would love to hear it!

Also, if you want to donate some wire to the cause, hit me up! Not kidding, by the way ha ha :) I have a non-vaping related Youtube channel, but I would be happy to make some trial run videos with donated wire! I have some big plans / ideas in that area, calligraphy flourishes and such. Want to try them, don't have wire ;)

Looking forward to your responses!

-E

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. ej.exe

ej.exe Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    btw, I will add a picture of the coil soon, gonna go eat something and then I'll be back!

3. DED420

DED420 Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    The answer to your question is yes, you can make just about anything within reason and it will fire (so long as there's no shorts), but it's really about efficiency, which most of these odd shaped coils will lack. All these images are of odd/unique coils (taken from Google), and all are completely working builds, but most of them are underwhelming in actual use, they're just fun to look at (exception to the jigsaw coil, those actually perform rather well). And that "toaster" coil, or Radiator coil, is a functioning idea, I myself have made one a while ago, but it just doesn't perform as well as say, a stovetop coil (both use the same basic principal).
    In short, as long as your batteries can handle the Amp and Ohm load (and there's no shorts) any shaped coil can potentially work, but how effectively is entirely up in the air. Hope that helps!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ShishkaBerry, CHIEFTANG and kross8 like this.