Become a Patron!

Has anyone tried any of the new TFA "DX" diketone free flavorings?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Whoa...

By the way...that's quite the flavor collection!

How many months, in your experience, will a flavoring stay good for?

I *think*, more or less indefinitely, if they're kept in a dark/dim and reasonably cool area. I keep mine in my kitchen cabinet, on the side of my kitchen away from any heat-producing appliances -- my husband make me leave the cabinet door open, or otherwise when he opens one of those cabinet doors to put away the clean dishes, the commingled scents just about knock him over. :D But at least it's dim in there. Many of them will darken over time, but the flavors seem pretty much unchanged, even after ~2 yrs.

Andria

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I *think*, more or less indefinitely, if they're kept in a dark/dim and reasonably cool area. I keep mine in my kitchen cabinet, on the side of my kitchen away from any heat-producing appliances -- my husband make me leave the cabinet door
open, or otherwise when he opens one of those cabinet doors to put away the clean dishes, the commingled scents just about knock him over. :D But at least it's dim in there. Many of them will darken over time, but the flavors seem pretty much unchanged, even after ~2 yrs.

Andria

Lol I can imagine, but hey atleast it smells good eh? :teehee:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol I can imagine, but hey atleast it smells good eh? :teehee:

Hmm... Nah, not really; some of my Inaweras have some tobacco element, and that actually doesn't smell very good, especially when the scent is commingled with 10 or 12 sweet, fruity scents. :D As long as the cabinet door stays open, the scent is light enough that it's not offensive... but close the door, and it builds up into something very strong and pretty foul. "Duelling Aromas". :giggle:

Andria

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm... Nah, not really; some of my Inaweras have some tobacco element, and that actually doesn't smell very good, especially when the scent is commingled with 10 or 12 sweet, fruity scents. :D As long as the cabinet door stays open, the scent is light enough that it's not offensive... but close the door, and it builds up into something very strong and pretty foul. "Duelling Aromas". :giggle:

Andria

Lol, I wonder how it will be in my closet? Haha!

On a side note, added cherry extract flavor to my wizard lab cart. :p I loves me some cherries.

Do you add any of these flavorings to your coffee or eats?

I may have to experiment. My clothes may smell like a fruit punch bowl with all these flavors then.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol, I wonder how it will be in my closet? Haha!

On a side note, added cherry extract flavor to my wizard lab cart. :p I loves me some cherries.

Do you add any of these flavorings to your coffee or eats?

I may have to experiment. My clothes may smell like a fruit punch bowl with all these flavors then.

The Capella Sweet Cream, I add to anything that benefits from a cream flavor; we eat a very low-fat diet, so no cream... but with that Sweet Cream flavor, couple drops, and you'd swear there's cream in that food! :D

Andria

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think the popcorn lung studies are freaking me out.

Keep in mind those ppl in that plant were exposed to quite a bit of dust in the air maybe for 8-10hrs a day for some time.
And many/most were also smokers, which also contain high amounts of the same thing.
Using a flavor at 10% that has 1% Diacetyl is quite a small amount.
So 1% of 10% mixed in with 90% of other things, which we really don't know are absolutely safe either.
Comes down to personal preferences, but either way it's still way less harmful than smoking until proven otherwise IMO.
I don't worry about it myself, but obviously some are more concerned...

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
How many months, in your experience, will a flavoring stay good for?

Unsure, but the ones I use regularly are being replaced now and then with new stuff.
But I've had quite a few that are fine a year later.
Problem is many of the flavors that I don't use much, if at all, will eventually spoil anyway, if they haven't already.
But I won't be replacing them now that I've settled on my favorites, but will probably keep trying new flavors and brands for awhile.

After 2+ years collecting and trying different flavors & brands you end up with quite a pile that may not be liked.
It's just the nature of the beast with DIY, which is why I suggest buying the smaller sample sizes to try the different brands & flavors out first.
Just that it's far less wasteful economically.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After 2+ years collecting and trying different flavors & brands you end up with quite a pile that may not be liked.
It's just the nature of the beast with DIY, which is why I suggest buying the smaller sample sizes to try the different brands & flavors out first.

Absolutely. I recently had to get my lil 2-tier whirligig thing I keep my flavors on organized, it had so much on it I couldn't find anything. Ended up throwing about about 1/3 of what was there, and still have a few that I may or may not ever use. That's another reason I like WizLabs; those 8ml vials for $1.49 or $1.99 are superb for new flavors you don't know about yet -- and they're glass, so when they're used up, you have an 8ml vial for making test mixes in; I bought some of their small droppers to use with those; a 5pk of them is pretty cheap.

Andria

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep in mind those ppl in that plant were exposed to quite a bit of dust in the air maybe for 8-10hrs a day for some time.
And many/most were also smokers, which also contain high amounts of the same thing.
Using a flavor at 10% that has 1% Diacetyl is quite a small amount.
So 1% of 10% mixed in with 90% of other things, which we really don't know are absolutely safe either.
Comes down to personal preferences, but either way it's still way less harmful than smoking until proven otherwise IMO.
I don't worry about it myself, but obviously some are more concerned...

This makes sense, and I would imagine it would be ok to combine some of them as well, even if more than one were to contain acetoin?

Like say I wanted to mix tfa vanilla cupcake with tfa frosted donut... They both contain acetoin but apparently some mixers have done it for years and are fine after vaping it.

Unsure, but the ones I use regularly are being replaced now and then with new stuff.
But I've had quite a few that are fine a year later.
Problem is many of the flavors that I don't use much, if at all, will eventually spoil anyway, if they haven't already.
But I won't be replacing them now that I've settled on my favorites, but will probably keep trying new flavors and brands for awhile.

This is very smart, and that way you always get to try new flavors without breaking the bank. :)

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got done test mixing tfa dx vanilla cupcake.

Straight out of the bottle it smells rotten, like ass or vomit. No joke.

I was hesitant to mix it but I mixed it with cream and a little strawberry. Now I gotta say it smells amazing. I'm gonna let it rest tonight and try it out tomorrow or after it steeps for a few days.

It already smells nice tho. :p

Yay!

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DX Vanilla Cupcake was a miss for me. Smells good but ends up super weak in a way that just doesn't translate over come actual flavor time (same with Capella's v2 for that matter).

Trying most of the older ones 6+ months back Bavarian Cream DX was the only one that stuck out as a winner, and which I still use in various recipes to this day. The rest are collecting dust in the back of my cabinet in favor of better no baddie versions of flavors I prefer.

I did buy the DX Brown Sugar the other day though, which hopefully gets here tomorrow.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm kinda unhappy with dx vanilla cupcake as well, smells like a strawberry cupcake but tastes like a light strawberry vanilla. Smells better than it actually tastes after mixed.

I'm also a little bummed with all these fa flavors I have now. I followed recipes, got all excited when I mixed them, but they are all tasting like vodka. :( I've given them a few days and still had to dump them.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm kinda unhappy with dx vanilla cupcake as well, smells like a strawberry cupcake but tastes like a light strawberry vanilla. Smells better than it actually tastes after mixed.

I'm also a little bummed with all these fa flavors I have now. I followed recipes, got all excited when I mixed them, but they are all tasting like vodka. :( I've given them a few days and still had to dump them.

I'm not too fond of either TFA or CAP Vanilla Cupcake so I never bothered trying any other versions.

You'll have to branch out and try more of the INW & CAP flavors:D.
Strange tho as I only get the alcohol taste from LA & NF brands, but seems to be more present with the higher percents used.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not too fond of either TFA or CAP Vanilla Cupcake so I never bothered trying any other versions.

You'll have to branch out and try more of the INW & CAP flavors:D.

Strange tho as I only get the alcohol taste from LA & NF brands, but seems to be more present with the higher percents used.

Yeah, it's got me wondering. I've heard wonderful reviews on flavour art. I'm just gonna let these steep longer and the same with the tfa dx vanilla cupcake. It's not horrible, just not cakey enough lol.

I've had good mixes with these other tfa flavors.

I'll try those you've mentioned too. ;)

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Woke up this morning and these FA flavors are delish, no alcohol taste. I'm suprised at how very little it takes of them...but yeah, tasty. :p

I think I may try out wizard labs too, those bottles sound very useful @AndriaD.

I'm making 5ml test bottles to try, and if I like them then I keep the label amd make a 30ml bottle of it for vaping.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've tried a bunch of them and usually have best luck around 5-10%. They lack body however, and sometimes need to be mixed with a non dx flavor to help smooth that funky taste out.

Dx cupcake had a medicinal taste @ 10% but lacked the cake aspect. Mixed it @ 5% with some strawberry and it was light. I havent tried the dx frosted donut yet.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not sure it was the DX donut doing the fading, could have been a combo of that and the blueberry I was using.......good to know you can look up particular ingredients on the tfa site to avoid the ones you dont want though, not sure if many do that. I have DX cupcake and agree with you, absolutely in love with DX peanut butter though and the DX bav.cream is good too!!

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I enjoy the dx bavarian as well as the dx banana cream. Have you tried the dx butterscotch? Not sure but I'm thinking 10% may have been too much in my first batch of standalone.

With the dx cupcake I'm thinking of mixing it with some vanilla swirl and dx bavarian at a lower percentage. I think it has potential, just haven't found the right mix.

What do you blend with the dx peanut butter?

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The DX Banana pairs well with DX PB!! Elvis style LOL....I HATE bananas and I like the pb & banana sandwich recipe A LOT....its good with all of those you just said and they all go well together....creams custards and bakery items pair well with the PB.....O and strawberry or grape(tough one imo) cant forget pb&J!! .....BUT captn crunch recipes must have that PB(reg TPA one is similar) to be spot on to me, it fits the profile perfectly....

Oh HAHA I totally forgot no I dont have butterscotch DX @Heabob or someone else might have though....I like fw natural butterscotch so far its the only one ive bought.

Last edited:

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
DX Juicy Peach is alright on its own. Actually tastes like a fresh peach, but...

DX Juicy Peach + Sour flavoring = Puke

Now there was a couple other flavors in it, but it went from a great vape to puke when I added sour flavoring. I don't know if this is the sour mixing with the stuff they use in the DX lines or not. Someone else should test this cause I don't want to again...:grumpy:

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use DX Butterscotch in many recipes but am new to DIY so have never tried the non DX, other vendors or bothered testing it as a single flavor yet.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use DX Butterscotch in many recipes but am new to DIY so have never tried the non DX, other vendors or bothered testing it as a single flavor yet.

I have trouble with tasting Butterscotch flavors myself, but mixing 3-4 different brands helped out somewhat.
And my total Butterscotch flavoring is usually around 9-10%.
But the FW brand seems to have the highest rating among many, myself included.
Although for me it gets overpowered quite easily by other flavors.
Haven't played around much with them in quite some time now, too busy with other flavors & recipes:D.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have trouble with tasting Butterscotch flavors myself, but mixing 3-4 different brands helped out somewhat.
And my total Butterscotch flavoring is usually around 9-10%.
But the FW brand seems to have the highest rating among many, myself included.
Although for me it gets overpowered quite easily by other flavors.
Haven't played around much with them in quite some time now, too busy with other flavors & recipes:D.
I actually have to correct myself after reviewing my inventory and recipes, I have been using more of the FW ButterScotch at this point but I plan on switching over to the DX TFA version in some of my recipes now so I can decide which I like better before my next flavoring order.

I went with FW first because that is what some of my recipes called for but am hoping they will be OK with the DX flavor.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anybody want to comment if the DX Frosted Donut has the "play doh" taste to it?

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anybody want to comment if the DX Frosted Donut has the "play doh" taste to it?
I havent tried it higher than 2% or so but no off taste for me yet. I will try in a few other mixes as I finally found the mix-muting culprit(my FA bilberry had gone bad) so the DX frosted may not fade others like I thought it did. I will update if it taste like play doh though:drunk:

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent tried it higher than 2% or so but no off taste for me yet. I will try in a few other mixes as I finally found the mix-muting culprit(my FA bilberry had gone bad) so the DX frosted may not fade others like I thought it did. I will update if it taste like play doh though:drunk:
Solo Dx donut is light even around 10%...kinda tastes like a powdered jelly donut a bit(no particular fruit) but its not very strong and it does have an odd bit to it at that %, not anything that really stands out though and I definitely dont get playdoh flavor ....it does taste a tad doughy, maybe if used at 15-20% it'll taste like that but I dont think ill use it much....

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Mike O

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well I go thru quite a lot of the Vanilla Swirl and DX Bavarian, thx to my strawberry & cream ADV -- been vaping that pretty much all the time, with just a few little flavor vacations, since Dec 2014. :D And I use the Vanilla Swirl with some others, though the Inawera Shisha Vanilla may be replacing it in some of my other recipes -- which I haven't mixed up in what seems like donkey's years, I'm so stuck on that strawberry.

I think it's kinda like when I smoked; once my taste gets set on a certain thing, and used to it, I don't really see a huge need for something different. Every once in a great while, my taster kinda goes on the fritz, and I like to vape blueberry muffin; now that I can't get it from sweet-vapes anymore, I'm thinking of trying out Heather's Heavenly Vapes version of it. I generally doctor it up with some TFA Banana Nut Bread (which may be one of the few TFA flavors that's good quite by itself, but I LOVE banana and blueberry flavors together), some Flash, and a bit of sweetener, to bring it from the 80% Pg level it's sold at, to my preferred 85%. TFA's Blueberry Extra is my favorite blueberry flavoring, but if you go over 8% with it, it just goes muted, and you can't taste it at all -- so I rev it up with a little TFA Blueberry-Wild.

And I won't use any sweetener but TFA's. I've tried a couple others, and though in general (in food), I don't mind the taste of sucralose, the other liquid versions of pure sucralose aren't very good, taste kinda artificial-sweetener-whang, except for TFA's.

Oh, also, TFA's Cherry Extract -- it's by far the best cherry I've tried; I'm not really a HUGE fan of cherry, thx to all those foul kids' medicines that are cherry flavored and just SUCK, so I'm pretty picky with anything cherry flavored. The Cherry Extract though, that's excellent. However, if you really WANT a maraschino-cherry flavor, I highly recommend LorAnn's; it's spot-on maraschino cherry.

Andria
I don't see any LA Maraschino cherry, only TFA Marachino cherry.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't see any LA Maraschino cherry, only TFA Marachino cherry.

Lorann's isn't called "maraschino cherry", just "Cherry"... but it's the taste of maraschino, not real cherries.

Andria

Mike O

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh ok. Also saw some "cherry crush" by FW. The picture of it looks scrumptious, looked like a bowl of chopped up cherries in an ice slush. Made me want to grab a spoon and dig right in. I thought of picking some up just because of the picture, lol.

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone tried the dx brown sugar?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

I have it and use it sparingly. From an overall perspective I just find it somewhat lacking in the taste department compared to the original, which i stopped using altogether due to the caution flag.

Dark as shit too, so I'm assuming that more then a drop or 2 here and there is going to up take it's toll on the coil.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have it and use it sparingly. From an overall perspective I just find it somewhat lacking in the taste department compared to the original, which i stopped using altogether due to the caution flag.

Dark as shit too, so I'm assuming that more then a drop or 2 here and there is going to up take it's toll on the coil.
Thanks for the info I have the Brown sugar extra one. I think it may be the same as the regular but it seems to do more harm than good in my mixes, even well known good ones. Just my experience but I think if its dark im not gonna get it anyways.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the info I have the Brown sugar extra one. I think it may be the same as the regular but it seems to do more harm than good in my mixes, even well known good ones. Just my experience but I think if its dark im not gonna get it anyways.

I've only used it in Bakery types, to give things a more baked effect.
But I've noticed quite a bit more coil gunking when using it, so I've shied away from using much anymore.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently purchased DX Brown Sugar & DX Butterscotch and DX Milk. I've made about a dozen batches with them, some recipes are progressing and onto their 3rd or 4th version. You probably don't want to pay too close attention to my percentages as I typically mix far below most average recipe percentages.

DX Milk is superb. Reminds me of TFA Whipped Cream with more of a dairy note to it. Very strong so I never use more than 1% or it does begin to mute. I have a Melon Boba Tea recipe that it stands front and center in, contrasting the fruit, it comes out with strong dairy fat and milk notes.

DX Brown Sugar is pretty straight forward and easy to work with. Maybe a little more "burnt" than is authentic. From .5-1% adds solid sweet toasted crust notes to my sweeter bakeries, 1%-1.5% brings it up front and center. Anything beyond that, unless heavely creamed starts to taste remeniscent of a burnt wick.

DX Butterscotch, is good, but tricky. It's really sweet and adding more only seems to up the sweetness and not nessasarily the butterscotch notes, though to be honest I haven't taken her beyond 3%. Additionally, it's muting abilities are incredable. I added it to one of my more AP heavey recipes recently and it totaly destroyed the "crumb" and turned it into a CAP Sugar Cookie type flavor. I've used mostly from 1-2%.

I originally bought the Butterscotch & Brown Sugar in order to build a caramel base for my Caramel Fuji recipe. I can't find a good DAAP or Corn Syrup free Caramel concentrate, sooo I'm getting closer. This is what I've come up with so far:
The CAP Golden Butter made a huge difference too.

FA Caramel..................... 1%
FA Butterscotch............... 1%
TFA DX Brown Sugar.......1.5%
TFA DX Butterscotch....... 2%
TFA DX Milk..................... 1%
CAP Golden Butter ........ (.75%)

Hope this helps someone.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have DX Bavarian Cream, Banana Cream, Peanut Butter, Sweet Cream, Caramel, and Vanilla Cupcake. To me, they don't compare to their non-DX cousins. The caramel and Peanut Butter in particular are rather nasty. All my DX are in my "to trade" pile.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, i may have missed a post that has this same info. But i dont want all the bads in my home made juices either. I check a lot of mine out at Wizardlabs.com. Go to search and punch in say , TFA jamaican rum, it'll show all the info as well as ingredients. All the bads are listed under * in the makers details. Cheers.

VU Sponsors