Jesus fucking christ.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, it's absolute bullshit and a very sleazy way to try and drum up business for their juice lines. I see they're taking a well-deserved beat down on the comments of the blog. As bad as things are going with all the regs, the last thing we need is vape vendors spreading the same shit as the Government and other ANTZ associations! Shame on you, Aspen Valley! :cuss2::facepalm:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This deserves / earned a meme - @Aspenvalleyvapes

image.png

( I'll try to keep this thread out of the mud pit )

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This is what it would be like if McDonalds posted something like - 5 Reasons You Should Not Cook at Home :blech:

DANGER: You might accidentally leave a burner on or use old poison ingredients - better eat at McDonlads instead

DANGER: Cooking involves knives which easily lead to severing arteries or amputating limbs in the cooking process

DANGER: Groceries are expensive - the first time you cook the recipe might not turn out leading to waste, clogging our landfills and draining your wallet - also, buying all the stuff to cook with is astronomically high prices, pots, pans, plates and flatware are costly - eat at McDonalds instead.

Problemchild

Member For 4 Years
Dumbasses with a shitty YouTube channel as well. They review all kinds of hardware that they don't even sell. Doesn't make much sense to me anyways.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They probably want you to post and respond so they have another email address to sell. With a page of responses like that, they're only gonna piss it all away.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hard to believe a vape company would write anything to discourage folks from DIY by using fake news. Perhaps CNN will pickup the story, add it to their collection of Fake News.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
SO let me get this straight, their own house line isnt DIY?Arenta ll juice lines DIY at first?

I applaud their attempt to drum up business but bad form attacking the DIY community.
I get it...I was afraid of trying DIY. Many people are. For some folks they simply prefer the convenience of premade juice. Some people lack the imagination or desire.

I have no issue with people selling their own juice but dont put down the DIY community trying to sell it

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah...they got some Harvard MBA's running that circus....this should win you the trust and respect of the vaping community.

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HA .... that was funny reading the article and all the comments below it. Although to be totally honest most of the points do have some truth to them. The problem is that they're not giving ALL the facts and just trying to push people away from DIYing. It's a very obvious and blatant attempt at pushing their own juice sales. Too bad it wasn't a bit more unbiased showing both sides of the coin. Since I just started DIYing I can see what they're saying but the way they're going about it is asinine and self-destructive for their business. MORONS!!

1. Dangerous - Yes nicotine IS dangerous and I have read countless threads on the dangers as well as how to properly use and store it. So it's not a lie but a one-sided truth. They could have easily added info or links on how to safely handle nicotine. They do say this though 'So if you decide to mix e-juices despite our advice, keep that in mind and opt for a lower nicotine level at first.' which attempts to show some level of safety concern. Would have been better if they left out 'DESPITE OUR ADVICE' - FAIL

2. Not Simple - Also somewhat true in context. I've read many threads and watched many videos that say this exact same thing. You need to learn how certain flavours work and what percentages to use. Also which flavours work well together and which ones don't. But like cooking or anything else new you need recipes and practice. There are tons of recipes online for DIY ejuice and practice just comes with time. So while the initial statement is true they don't suggest anything about online resources. - FAIL

3. Won't Turn Out Good - Yup ... my first batches weren't amazing and some even kind of crappy. But of course I made small batches to test and am just learning and adjusting as I go. And guess what they're getting better with every revision. Also this may not be true for everybody .... some may follow some great recipes and/or just have a knack for it. But again just like cooking your first few recipes don't generally turn out that great until you understand how to use the ingredients. Most things that you just start learning take time so this is a ridiculous point. - FAIL

4. Wasted Products - Now is when it starts to get even worse. Sure you may waste a few of your ingredients. Honestly I haven't wasted much at all as most of the mixes I've made are certainly vapable. They're just not great or amazing yet. But I have tasted far worse store bought juice than I've made so far. And if you don't like the juice you just started making you're out what - $.50 - $1.00? (Which ties into their last point) - FAIL

5. Not Saving Money - OK this has to be the dumbest point of all. I can sort of understand what they're saying but it's not hard to see into the near future. Sure you spend a fair bit in the beginning getting set up as you do with almost any project that you're trying to save money with. You don't necessarily have to though. It's not hard to realize that when you do start making a few good recipes you're going to save a ton of $$$ and easily cover your initial cost when DIYing. It's not overly complicated math to figure that one out. The last line is priceless - 'Just make sure you figure it out before you get too deep into the game.' The ONLY way that I can see that comment being of value is if you're planning to jump straight into your own ejuice business with no experience. I'm estimating that within the first couple of months I'll have made enough juice to cover my initial investment. And not only should I have some AWESOME recipes but I'll still have quite a few months of juice left to make. - EPIC FAIL

So as I originally mentioned I can see a bit of truth to their initial statements but unfortunately they aren't offering advice on any of their points except to buy THEIR ... or at least store bought juice. I'm rather shocked that they thought people wouldn't see right through this. And from the comments on their site and this forum it seems that everybody has.

Man ... if they thought they had bad sales before....! I hope they all have backup employment plans. :giggle:

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I posted a comment, which says it's "awaiting moderation." I bet they won't publish it, because this is what I said:

"All I can say to this post is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, and WRONG.

What you REALLY MEAN is that people making their own ejuice is not good for YOUR bottom line. You’re as bad as:
1) the lying FDA, who claim that e-cigarettes are really the same as cigarettes — all because they’re completely venal, greedy, and corrupt;
2) big pharma, who say their snake oil is the only effective way to quit smoking, when in fact their crap is totally useless;
3) all the greedy and corrupt “charitable” orgs who keep saying that vaping is as dangerous as smoking.

Congrats, you just joined all the lying asshats who are trying to keep vaping down so they can keep selling cigarettes and useless patches and gum, and then medicine for cancer, COPD… and finally, coffins. Way to go!
"

:facepalm:
Andria

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm surprised this blog post didn't get taken down, then again maybe they are that stupid... :crazy::cuss2::gaah:

I checked out their vendor forum here on VU. It's like cricket chirp city there, the last post was 12/22/16.

May be the last gasp of yet another vendor going out of business...:bomb::popcorn:

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had one dealing with them and it was a shit show so this doesn't surprise me. If I wasn't already done with them, I definitely would be now.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Those Aspen vapes blog articles often pop up in FB groups by some who think they are doing a service. There is no way in hell after reading that much stupidity and farceness in that DIY article, how stupid are their other blog entries. I don't even know how vendors with opinions and views like that are even in business. Maybe Aspen vapes its a FDA owned vendor cause they are sure feeling free to spread false garbage about vaping.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reading all the feed back under that crap article and knowing that the social media are ripping them a new one, they just kissed their customer base "good-bye" I never tried any of their juices nor will I ever support this vendor.

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
:cry:
It's too difficult because of the massive amounts of math involved?

Really? That's a joke right? Only they are smart enough to be able to use a calculator?

Way to insult the DIY community you bunch of asshats!

Everyone I know who vapes is getting a link to that blog so they know who NOT to buy from!

Oh, and by the way @Aspenvalleyvapes. You completely brought this on to yourself. I hope you enjoy the results!

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's too difficult because of the massive amounts of math involved?

Really? That's a joke right? Only they are smart enough to be able to use a calculator?!

Yeah really. And they don't want to point out the multitude of online and downloadable ejuice calculators available. The ones where you can just plug the numbers in and VOILA!! It's like magic! LMAO

:stars2:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Plus the whole "dangerous" thing?

I don't know about you guys but I don't even bother adding nic until I have something worth vaping put together.

So at the only time that even becomes involved it consists of me drawing up the correct amount of nic from my small 20ml 'use now' glass bottle then injecting it into an already finished bottle of eliquid with a blunt tipped syringe.

Hardy the danger they are making it out to be.

in fact i do this with my store bought juice as well.
The vendor I use charges around 40% less for zero nic so it would be kind of stupid to pay all of that extra money for 3mg/ml nic

A 120ml costs $16 less without nic, I need to add less then 4ml of 100mg/ml nic to get the correct amount and for what I pay for the nic base 4ml costs like 25 cents.

(3.6ml of 100mg/ml nic base will make 120mls of eliquid 3mg/ml nic if my math serves me correct)

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
STOP RIGHT THERE YOUNG MAN!

You're doing math! For goodness sakes didn't you see their warning? Math can't be done by just anyone!

You have to be vaping for a full year to grasp the concept of math.

But most people never understand basic math skills!!! :D

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
STOP RIGHT THERE YOUNG MAN!

You're doing math! For goodness sakes didn't you see their warning? Math can't be done by just anyone!

LMAO. Everyone needs to be taking courses at the Aspen Valley School for Vapers. There you will learn how to correctly handle dangerous liquids, mixology, basic math skills, waste management and investment strategies. :giggle:

CRAP - I just gave them an idea to stay employed! :facepalm:

That's what my mistake is!
Gonna shelve all my DIY stuff until I have been vaping for a year then.
Thank goodness they let me know I'm not smart enough yet!

Good thing I've been vaping for a year and a half or else I'd have NO CLUE what to do!! :p

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone else find it amusing that in their subforum they started a thread called

"The FDA is Blowing things out of proportion" (regarding batteries and safety)

In that thread they blame the FDA for telling half-truths.

Then they post a blog article about the dangers of DIY that is pretty much full of half-truths.

Pretty hypocritical in my opinion.

But I could be wrong, after all I also thought I was capable of basic math and receipe following until they came along and saved me from myself.......

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I know a guy that bought some base and flavors and just eyeballed it into a 30ml bottle...no shit. There are some amazingly dumb people on this planet. We're the only species whose dumb make it to adulthood...and breed. Sad.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Plus the whole "dangerous" thing?

I don't know about you guys but I don't even bother adding nic until I have something worth vaping put together.

So at the only time that even becomes involved it consists of me drawing up the correct amount of nic from my small 20ml 'use now' glass bottle then injecting it into an already finished bottle of eliquid with a blunt tipped syringe.

Hardy the danger they are making it out to be.

in fact i do this with my store bought juice as well.
The vendor I use charges around 40% less for zero nic so it would be kind of stupid to pay all of that extra money for 3mg/ml nic

A 120ml costs $16 less without nic, I need to add less then 4ml of 100mg/ml nic to get the correct amount and for what I pay for the nic base 4ml costs like 25 cents.

(3.6ml of 100mg/ml nic base will make 120mls of eliquid 3mg/ml nic if my math serves me correct)
The picture of after the explosion killed it for me

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, I know a guy that bought some base and flavors and just eyeballed it into a 30ml bottle...no shit. There are some amazingly dumb people on this planet. We're the only species whose dumb make it to adulthood...and breed. Sad.
In that guys defense: I never follow recipes and don't measure.
In fact the only time I even look at a recipe is if I'm looking to make something from or for someone else; and, even then it's just a guide to know what the primary flavors are and what the secondary flavors are. But, measurements are for pastry chefs.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In fact the only time I even look at a recipe is if I'm looking to make something from or for someone else; and, even then it's just a guide to know what the primary flavors are and what the secondary flavors are. But, measurements are for pastry chefs.

I'm sure you have a good grasp of what makes a recipe. This guy has been vaping for 5 months and because I got into mixing he thought he'd try. He has not read one post about mixing. He knows nothing. The best part was he vaped the shit and said it was good. But he also thinks just about every commercial juice he's tried is good. Maybe he's the lucky one to have such a non-discriminating palate.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I've been making the same recipe for so long now, I very commonly round hundredths of a percent up/down to tenths of a percent. I learned that rounding in about 5th grade, I think. :giggle:

Andria

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sure you have a good grasp of what makes a recipe. This guy has been vaping for 5 months and because I got into mixing he thought he'd try. He has not read one post about mixing. He knows nothing. The best part was he vaped the shit and said it was good. But he also thinks just about every commercial juice he's tried is good. Maybe he's the lucky one to have such a non-discriminating palate.
Maybe so... I've been a chef since 1997. But mixing juice truly is not that difficult. When I started I knew nothing of juice making. All I read was a small blurb from a now defunct DIY vendor. I did small 10ml batches to get a feel for how much flavoring to use, and what the flavors were like individually. From there I discerned what I thought a recipe should be.
It sounds like he used a similar process, just less scientificly.
While it may be true that his pallet is unclarified, or perhaps, his taste buds are still fried from smoking. But, there is something to be said for those that are willing to risk, "winging it."
Some of my best dishes came from mentally saying fuck it. Think about it, some hungry mother fucker cracked open a rock, found a piece of snot inside, ate it, and thereby discovered the oyster.
Granted, I would not trust the same mentality with batteries; and, low ohm builds. Mixing, however, is a great creative way to discover flavors.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I HATE anyone posting anywhere that insults newbies :headbang:- how in the fuck does vaping for a year make you qualified to diy?

IMO you either have it in you to mix yourself or you don't - kind of like how some people can cook and some just suck at it, no matter how they try

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
their blog was clearly not aimed at people like us.
SO while I find it insulting. I didnt see any out right lies...mere exagerations and overstatements
thats marketing 101
why are we wasting som much time on their commericial which is not aimed at us and we would probably never have bought anything from them anyway

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SO while I find it insulting. I didnt see any out right lies...mere exagerations and overstatements
thats marketing 101
why are we wasting som much time on their commericial which is not aimed at us and we would probably never have bought anything from them anyway
Why are we wasting time on it?
Because their post was a 100% shot at trying to scare new DIY mixers away from making their own juice.
It was an attempt at fear mongering and nothing else.
And we SHOULD be calling them out on it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
thats marketing 101

I don't consider it a waste of time and those kind of exaggerations and overstatements are lies - implying you need to vape for a year to be able to DIY is a lie. jThere are many many others.

I do not perceive posting on this thread as wasting my time.

My question is: why are you bothering to read or post on this thread if you think it's a waste of time?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In honor of all these posts I am going to mix up a batch today. And I had no intentions of making juice today.

I hope I get the math right and don't blow up the world!

I'm gonna twist up and install a new coil. *gasp* I wonder if my 30w mods can handle a 2 ohm coil! :giggle: (there's that "hard math" again -- Herr Ohm would be so pleased!)

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe so... I've been a chef since 1997. But mixing juice truly is not that difficult. When I started I knew nothing of juice making. All I read was a small blurb from a now defunct DIY vendor. I did small 10ml batches to get a feel for how much flavoring to use, and what the flavors were like individually. From there I discerned what I thought a recipe should be.
It sounds like he used a similar process, just less scientificly.
While it may be true that his pallet is unclarified, or perhaps, his taste buds are still fried from smoking. But, there is something to be said for those that are willing to risk, "winging it."
Some of my best dishes came from mentally saying fuck it. Think about it, some hungry mother fucker cracked open a rock, found a piece of snot inside, ate it, and thereby discovered the oyster.
Granted, I would not trust the same mentality with batteries; and, low ohm builds. Mixing, however, is a great creative way to discover flavors.

I agree, it's a creative talent. My point, which I didn't clarify, was how he just eyeballed not just the flavors but the nic, pg, and vg. I thought he was going to poison himself.

VU Sponsors