VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
ONLY IN BROOKLYN--HAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE CUP OF COFFEE IN AMERICA, $18 A CUP. (THAT'S RIGHT I SAID A CUP---NOT A POUND) Extraction Lab, a new java joint in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, that opened last Friday, is serving up the most expensive cup of coffee in the country at up to $18. Annie Gaarder, a 30-year-old actress who was on her lunch break, called it a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” to try America’s priciest coffee. “I would probably rather have a meal, but it was delicious,” she said. “Next time, I’ll get a lower-priced coffee. This was the life experience for me.” She usually adds cream, but skipped it because she “didn’t want to ruin it.” The shop’s $14.75 brew, called the “Jeremy Zhang Gesha,” is a rare Ethiopian Arabica bean that is grown in Panama and made — like all the shop’s coffees — in a $7,000 coffee maker called the Steampunk. The shop says it will soon be selling an $18 cup, featuring an even higher-grade version of the Ethiopian Arabica bean. Brooklyn is already buzzing about the new coffee shop — though not everyone is willing to cough up the money.

16508663_10208145183096937_4375862878683053319_n.jpg

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I thought that coffee that was eaten by an animal then shit out and used in the brew was expensive..copabera or some shit like that:eek:

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought it was elephant poop. It better be some really exotic poop for $18 per cup.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like a nice place. Easy remodel to turn it into a vape shop when they go bankrupt. Notice the crowd, all lined up for the high-priced flavored water?
I was thinking the same thing place is Packed lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
lets see 12 cups per coffee pot..thats $216.00 per pot of coffee at $18 per cup..I guess millionaires would pay that easily but not this hard working guy...Id rather buy new mods and tanks and stuff..WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!:gaah:

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
wasn't sure at the time its capybara... pretty close...drink up:coffee2:http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/05/22/kopi-luwak-the-most.html

Your phrasing here is confusing... as your link explains, it's the Civet Cat.

And be warned Java Adventurers... likely 80% of the Kopi Luwak purchased is fake. Treated with acid baths and chemicals to replicate the appearance and to a degree... the flavor.

Considering the authentic 'crap' (no, I have no interest in trying the stuff) is gathered from wild animals, there's no way it kept up with the sudden worldwide demand when it became "fashionable" a few years ago.
Hell... that 80% estimate may be low. Really low. :D

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will say I'm not entirely against this coffee bar, though I think their pricing may be slightly high... like 10% or so.

This is a chance to sample widely differing varieties of coffee (and there are many) without having to purchase a bag to try. I know... this is my current problem with a couple of great online vendors... just too many damn varieties. (#firstworldproblems) :D

I could see going in myself if they served "flights" the way beer, wine and spirits sampling works.
Maybe they do... I haven't looked to see if they have a website.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The problem I have with the "poop" coffee is that you know there is some guy out there that is laughing his way to the back.

Im a skeptical curmudgeon and I dont trust people. I know the idea behind the poop brew, somehow the bean while its going through the digestive tract of the wild cat, its goes through some sort of chemical transformation that mellows out the acidity , blah, blah....

If I was there in the country and with the people that gathered it and I saw them pick it up and do the roasting and brewing, maybe.

You know there is some greedy bastard trying to get more money out of this fad. Paying some people to eat reg beans and pooping them out in a factory by the tons.

This whole thing brings to mind Dennis Learys rant on coffee.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Although the coffee bean is obviously different based on location, plant variety, etc.. I think a lot has to do with the actual making.
Grind amount, rest time, water ratio, water quality, water temperature, brew time, settling time.
I sometimes use a french press, and even with the same (good quality) beans I get noticeably different flavours of coffee as I vary the factors.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your phrasing here is confusing... as your link explains, it's the Civet Cat.

And be warned Java Adventurers... likely 80% of the Kopi Luwak purchased is fake. Treated with acid baths and chemicals to replicate the appearance and to a degree... the flavor.

Considering the authentic 'crap' (no, I have no interest in trying the stuff) is gathered from wild animals, there's no way it kept up with the sudden worldwide demand when it became "fashionable" a few years ago.
Hell... that 80% estimate may be low. Really low. :D
The name of the coffee is capybara but yes the actual animal that eats the beans but cant digest it then shits it back out is a Civet cat.

What is said is the enzymes from the civit cat remove any bitterness to the coffee bean thus enhancing its flavor...The beans are washed and crushed prior to being used in a serving..There is no actual shit on the coffee bean and that's not the flavor given..From what ive read its like a caramel chocolate flavoring...It said it can sell for $30.00 a cup in the US but you wont see me paying for a cup...I think Starbucks is expensive and dunkin donuts but I prefer Authentic Cuban expresso coffee over any type of coffee.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I am a Cafe Dumonde kind of guy.

91olcZC-atL._SY679_.jpg

I discovered this on a trip to New Orleans and fell in love with the stuff.:inlove:

Fortunately, I can purchase it by the case from Amazon.com:bliss:

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have a local year-round supplier for Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.
It's gone up from $40 to $50/lb but worth every cent for an occasional treat.
We tried 1/2lb of single source Haitian (most expensive commercially available) from La Colombe when it was available but was wildly unimpressed.
Folgers for a daily driver and Cumberland Farms $1.05 (Dunkins $3) on the road but JBM is worth it for an outstanding treat.

Dammit edit - JBM went up to $60 @ our local supplier

Last edited:

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FWIW Quote from our local roaster's JBM page -
"Jamaican Blue is the 2nd most expensive traditionally processed coffee in the world next to the Kopi Luwak which is non-traditional thanks to our Indonesian friend the civet cat. "

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Me, I am a Cafe Dumonde kind of guy.

91olcZC-atL._SY679_.jpg

I discovered this on a trip to New Orleans and fell in love with the stuff.:inlove:

Fortunately, I can purchase it by the case from Amazon.com:bliss:
is that coffee forged from the intestines of swine or the diarrhea of a Ostrich?

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just watched this interview from 3 years ago. It's with one of my personal heroes Todd Carmichael.
He dragged a sled from Antarctica's coast to the South Pole unsupported.
He lost 70lbs & a couple of toes but he got a Worlds Record and a bitchin tattoo out of it. 39:07:49
YouTube blocks free videos of Dangerous Grounds (coffee sourcing adventure show) episodes in US but it was a cool show.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just watched this interview from 3 years ago. It's with one of my personal heroes Todd Carmichael.
He dragged a sled from Antartica's coast to the South Pole unsupported.
He lost 70lbs & a couple of toes but he got a Worlds Record and a bitchin tattoo out of it. 39:07:49
YouTube blocks free videos of Dangerous Grounds (coffee sourcing adventure show) episodes in US but it was a cool show.

All the way to the south pole and not even a decent restaurant there?
Just to turn around and come back?
No thanks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IV & skin grafts don't sound like a good time?
Not if I can avoid them.
Kinda wimpy like that.
I tend to watch others do something just to prove it can be done.
It often winds up in fail vids on youtube.

I have also seen pics of the frozen bodies still on Everest.

I prefer somewhat boring.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very good single origin Ethiopian from Yirgacheffe $20/lb instead of $18/cup -
https://www.lacolombe.com/collections/delicate-jasmine-to-zesty-lemon/products/ethiopia-yirgz-1

We enjoyed 12oz of this. Not quite JBM but excellent Ethiopian.

I get mine lately from CoffeeAm for *gasp* about $13. :eek:

Actually it's down around $8/lb for five pound bags, which if I'm not faffing about trying too many others I can get through in about 2 or 2.5 months. Horrendously aged by then to a purist but I manage to choke it down. :p

Actually having a Eth Longberry as I type... :)
https://www.coffeeam.com/ethiopia-longberry-gourmet-coffee.html

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Now, see? I always read that the freezer will actually dry out coffee, that it was best stored at room temp, and only for short periods of time. I know coffee in my house, doesn't last too long, LOL.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Freezing keeps it fresher. Maybe split it into and freeze 1lb bags. Keep 1lb out at a time.

I have ongoing experiments in that area to see how well it does not having a vacuum sealer... just packing the container/bag as full as possible. Hell... even store bought grounds can stay "fresh"-ish a surprisingly long time if the vacuum seal is still intact.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now, see? I always read that the freezer will actually dry out coffee, that it was best stored at room temp, and only for short periods of time. I know coffee in my house, doesn't last too long, LOL.

As I just posted, it can work... for a time. But the moisture in the trapped air is the problem, or one of them. I think.

Guidelines for room temp storage...

Grounds... an hour or two.
Not really kidding... but my palate is so dodgy, I'll grind for up to a days worth. :rolleyes:
Or just crank on my Harrio during commercials... it's almost as loud as a sub-ohm, can't hear TV dialog over it/them.
(and get your mind out of the gutter... it's a grinder. :p )

Roasted whole beans... a month is the usual suggested max. I tend to agree, even though I go longer.

Green whole beans... five or six months (more?), though I understand those take freezing without much difficulty and I believe that's the common practice (I don't have a roasting setup so I'm just passing that along).

VU Sponsors