Hastur Mini by Cthulhu — damn good MTL & flavor machine

Discussion in 'General Rebuildable Discussion (RTA/RBA/RDA)' started by OldMadScientist, May 21, 2018.

1. OldMadScientist

OldMadScientist Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Got my hands on a Hastur Mini — ordered direct from Cthulhu Mod.

7276EC10-4573-4558-816F-7E3BBC056198.jpeg

As a recent convert back to MTL, I’ve tried a lot of different MTL attys and this thing is right now king of the hill.

Why — because it’s a combination of the airflow design and the wicking.

D589C4C0-D29B-4DAB-8A15-B39669ED03CA.jpeg

The airflow design is nearly perfect for MTL and for exceptional flavor. There are two small air holes directly beneath the coil for good surface area contact whille maintaining suffiicient velocity of flow over the coil (similar to the Nectar). The posts at the sides in combination with the wick covering the ends create a “box” around the coil (similar to the kayfuns) which prevents air from escaping to the mouthpiece without traveling from under and around the sides of the coil. Very tiny chamber with a sloped top reduces turbulence and “dead zones” in the chamber (similar to the Doggystyle or Berserker mini). A combination of the best of many.

In sum, there is little to no escaped air dilution of the vapor and less turbulence disrupting that superior airflow. There is adequate air velocity to avoid the harshness of hotspots which occur with inadequate velocity. All of this adds up to MTL flavor machine.

I was a little worried when seeing the wicking “GTA” type design (similar to Siren and Ares) but in use it is extremely efficient producing a rich, saturated vape loaded with flavor from the superior airflow. A benefit of the GTA design is no flooding when refillling despite lack of juice flow control. This is a huge bonus when compared to some other MTL attys (not mentioning any names . . .cough, cough, Berserker, cough).

Other features include quarter turn quick connect top cap, frosted glass spare tank and the usual screws and o-rings baggie. Oh and I almost forgot — it comes with two drip tips, one of which is “unique” to put it mildly — a long, very slender stainless tip. The other is typical black poly of some sort, very comfortable and conventional in appearance. Note that the stock drip tips are very restrictive. If you prefer a MTL vape with a bit less restrictiveness, substitute your own tip.

Cons include only three airflow settings (not a con for me as I like all of them) and of course it’s a mini so not much juice capacity. I prefer this style of airflow settings to the outsized variable slots or fixed excessive airflow of, for example, the Pico 2, Doggystyle and Tilemahos.

For MTL vapers searching for that “seventh wave” atty at a reasonable price, this thing is worth your time to try.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. advancedvapesupply

advancedvapesupply Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    What's your favorite build in there?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight likes this.
  3. OldMadScientist

Blog Posts:
    Hey, thanks for asking. Favorite is two strands 30 AWG wrapped by 38 AWG fused clapton, 2.5 mm i.d., 5 wraps slightly spaced. Comes out to around 0.65 ohm.

When wicking, make sure the edges of the wick where it exits the coil touch the outer edges of the posts. This creates the airflow “box” and superior flavor!

4. advancedvapesupply

advancedvapesupply Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I've been using the original Hastur MTL quite a bit lately, which has a ton of different options for airflow restriction, so it's been a little hard to dial in a good balance between coil choice and airflow restriction. My skill set is definitely with the large, non MTL tanks out there so I'm still learning. Thanks for posting about the mini, I'll have to check it out!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. OldMadScientist

Blog Posts:
    When you try the mini, you might use one of your own drip tips. I like the restrictiveness of the stock tips but a couple of friends who tried it yesterday didn’t. A “regular” tip introduces one less variable. I’ll edit my post to reflect this.

I also edited to add references to other popular MTL attys I’ve used for comparisons and to give a frame of reference.

6. burley

burley Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Every time I read this sentence, my wallet taps and cries 'uncle.'

I'd like to give it a shot, but my box full of MTL God-tier empty promises and sales pitches reminds me to do much, much more research before plunking down on it.

Thanks for the head's up, though!

7. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg As useful as Helen Keller's drumset VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Now THAT is a MTL tank. A good one, by the looks of it
    :yes:

8. OldMadScientist

Blog Posts:
    I’m in the same boat. It has taken a lot of cash and time to discover what characteristics I really like and really don’t. Likewise for what works and what’s just hype. Unfortunately, there’s really no other way to do it. I’ve got a Dvarw on the way as we speak. When the next “thing” comes out, if it looks promising I’ll likely lay out the cash for it. I am considering buying a second Hastur mini — so far it really is that good and checks pretty much all the boxes for me at least. YMMV ;) Also when your wallet screams remember that being picky and particular has a downside but great rewards as well. :cool:

burley likes this.
  9. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg As useful as Helen Keller's drumset VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

You say pretty much checks all the boxes, so I wonder, which boxes does it not check?

OldMadScientist and burley like this.
  10. burley

burley Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    That about sums it up, too. Other than getting it in my hands and trying it for myself, I can watch all the YouTube tear down videos and articles and reviews I want and still not know a dang thing until I plunk down.

Dang. Choices, choices. It's on my radar nice and firm though, so thank you.

OldMadScientist likes this.
  11. OldMadScientist

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha — yes, good question. Capacity for one but that’s a compromise to get the small chamber and 22 mm size, which I prefer. No juice flow control like the kayfun prime has — but in my opinion Hastur mini has better airflow options than the kayfun. I prefer to have juice flow control for pocketability with zero chance of leaking, but as is it hasn’t leaked any so who cares. No stop on the quarter turn top cap — not a biggie and actually has some advantages but I think I’d prefer a stop like on the Siren II — but the Hastur mini beats the Siren II on the airflow; the three holes under the coil on the Siren II, when coiled “conventionally” direct about 25% of the air to the (cooler) edge of the wick instead of under the coil and that mutes flavor a tiny bit, at least to my taste buds lol. Driptip hole is on the shallow side — now I’m nitpicking.

burley and Pegleg Meg like this.
  12. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Ah yeah, I thought capacity might be one - for a coffee flavor MTL vaper like myself, it could be a good thing; my coil would be black after 4 or 5mL, so one rewick every other refill without wasting e-liquid sounds pretty good! -
    This is me talking myself into buying one

(I do not need it, I do not need it, I do not need it) that's me talking myself Out of it

Ryedan, burley and OldMadScientist like this.
  13. zerofourten

zerofourten New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hello everybody.
    Just bought berserker mini , and as you wrote it leaks when not empty before refilling. But it is very good restricted mtl. Was thinking abt hatsur. Unlucky for me your post came later

Sent from Nokia 3110 using tin can telephone

14. OldMadScientist

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, with the Beserrkers I do the “turn it upside down while tightening the top cap” and then “flick it over a trash bin” routine. Not exactly “optimal” :mad: but it does reduce the flooding and gurgling.

15. Ms. Trixy

Ms. Trixy *****ARIZONA***** •But it's a dry heat• VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking at the Hastur for 2 days. Thanks for your honest opinion. I just put it on my list.

16. zerofourten

zerofourten New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yes turning upside down works. After few days of using Berserker I can say this is much better rta than Siren 2 taste-wise.

Sent from Nokia 3110 using tin can telephone

17. CthulhuMod

CthulhuMod Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    nice review. :giggle: