Become a Patron!

Have some questions regarding RDA, RTA, RDTA, and genesis style RDA's.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm kinda new to vaping. Started about 6 months ago. I just moved to Florida, and my gf got pregnant. It's our third. Were both smokers, and obviously she had to quite. I never even attempted to quite before. But I thought I would give this vaping thing a shot this time.......i love it!!!!! F those stinky ass cancer sticks!! Any who, I went to a local cape shop, and they ripped me off and sold me some garbage. I needed new gear, so through self educating with the internet and you tube I bought the Smok Big Baby Beast. I think this tank is awesome . Then this guy at work who gave up on vaping, gave me his Hohm Wrecker g2. Man what a mod. Things a beast itself. Now I would really like to step it up a bit and do my own coils, wicking, ect. I've been eyeing the Coilart Mage GTA. My friend at work let me try his 'O.G." Velocity RDA. It was great, but I want something with a 'tank". Eventually I want to build my own coils, but because of my living situation right now it would easier to get pre built coils, and do the wicking. Once we get our own/new apartment, I will set myself up to do builds and possibly DIY juice too! So, my question is(sorry for the looong back story): The Mage requires opposite direction coils? I do not see them sold that way. Is it something as simple as unwinding one end to have it face the other way? Or do I need to build from scratch? Or should I get something like the azeroth? And plug one side if I want to do single coil? Thanks for reading/listening!! Sorry for the book......PEACE and LOVE.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Taking a regular coil and making it's legs go opposite is simple, you just place the coil on a screwdriver or rod of the appropriate diameter and remove or add another half wrap.

I don't think a single coil RTA would be the right choice after the big baby.

First I would recommend to try the bag baby RBA head and see how you like it.

Here are some better RTA (RDTA) options in my opinion:
Steamcrave Aromamizer Supreme.
Limitless Plus Classic.
Geekvape Avocado.
Geekvape Griffin 25 Plus.

Last edited:

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Taking a regular coil and making it's legs go opposite is simple, you just place the coil or a screwdriver or rod of the appropriate diameter and remove or add another half wrap.

I don't think a single coil RTA would be the right choice after the big baby.

First I would recommend to try the bag baby RBA head and see how you like it.

Here are some better RTA (RDTA) options in my opinion:
Steamcrave Aromamizer Supreme.
Limitless Plus Classic.
Geekvape Avocado.
Geekvape Griffin 25 Plus.
@nightshard , sweet! Iwas reading reviews on the Limitless Plus and Avocado as well. I was thinking single coil for flavor? And possibly easier to "build"? But I'm open to suggestions and want to learn!! Thanks for tge speedy response and your time! Next Friday I am definitely ordering an rda/rdta/gta. Im gonna check out the steamcrave and griffin today. The search continues.....thanks again!!

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Cgagne017, welcome to VU. Until you are confident in making your own coils, I would suggest picking up some pre wrapped coils and just pop them in and wick them. I bought a set of 6 different types of builds (5ea. claptons, aliens, twisted, fused, etc..) for about 15 bucks from a trusted vendor on ebay. Much easier for me, and they work great.

I love my Big Baby Beast. Prefer the T8 coils, but I too need to try the RBA base that came with it. Congrats on the new addition, BTW.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Avocado... I use mine as single coil, 22mm..Great flavor and simple to use. You should be able to do some pretty good sized single coil builds in the 24. The 22 is a bit small for big clappers. I haven't done multi coil in it yet.. Although thats what I am going to do next build.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Cgagne017, welcome to VU. Until you are confident in making your own coils, I would suggest picking up some pre wrapped coils and just pop them in and wick them. I bought a set of 6 different types of builds (5ea. claptons, aliens, twisted, fused, etc..) for about 15 bucks from a trusted vendor on ebay. Much easier for me, and they work great.

I love my Big Baby Beast. Prefer the T8 coils, but I too need to try the RBA base that came with it. Congrats on the new addition, BTW.
@ChrisL , Thank you!! Yea the Big Baby is great!! I prefer the T8s myself, but I rip through juice like crazy. Thirsty ass beast. Lol. Thanks for the info!

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU. That's a good friend you have to give you a G2. I sure don't have any like that. Lol. Here's a review I did on the Mage GTA. Take a look at my Serpent Mini Review in the same section.

http://vapingunderground.com/index.php?threads/293299/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
@Deucesjack , LOL. I actually just moved to Florida in August and have zero friends here. Smh. This fellow I work with. We were chatting at break the other day. I mentioned how I was looking for a double 18650 mod, and he says " I have a Smok X cube 2 and a hohm wrecker"....."pick one, you can have it"!! "Tell me which one before we leave and ill bring it in for you tomorrow." I felt funny just taking something. Even though he was just offering. So I ddnt even say anything and just left that night. I come in the next day and he:s holding the hohm wrecker, and it's the g2 too! Needless to say I was pretty amped!! I offered him money and he refused. He went back to cigarettes even before I started working there. So I bought him a couple packs of smokes.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Avocado... I use mine as single coil, 22mm..Great flavor and simple to use. You should be able to do some pretty good sized single coil builds in the 24. The 22 is a bit small for big clappers. I haven't done multi coil in it yet.. Although thats what I am going to do next build.
@HondaDavidson , I just read some articles on the avocado. It's looks legit! I see one that advertises bottom airflow. I thinks its 24mm as well. Do you think the bottom air flow is a better option.?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are two versions for the Avocado, bottom airflow and side airflow.
You don't have to get the bottom airflow version if you don't like it.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
i'm not a big fan of the RDTA styler but i think the azeroth is my favorite. also the ijoy combo is very well recieved. i don't have one so it could be betetr then the azeroth i'm not sure. I prefer the azeroth to the limitless plus and avacado though. If i had to rank the 3
1) azeroth
2) avacdo 24
3) limitless
i gave away my limitless and traded my avacado after getting the azeroth

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@HondaDavidson , I just read some articles on the avocado. It's looks legit! I see one that advertises bottom airflow. I thinks its 24mm as well. Do you think the bottom air flow is a better option.?

I only have used and own 22mm and smaller atties. As far as the bottom vs side vs top vs combination air flow goes and even coil position in general. Is all very subjective. In some atties and some builds with some juices bottom is best. in others side. Bottom air is the most leaky...... My 3 most use atties are a Chalice 3, mine is top-ish air (can be side), Kayfuns bottom air and my Avacado side air. I rarely vape at over 25watts, and prefer simple twisted wire builds.

FOR ME, The Chalice and Kayfuns give the best flavor, the avocado is not far behind. But I don't think the location of the coils or air holes has as much to do with this than the fact that the Chalice has the smallest chamber and tightest draw, followed by the Kayfun and Avocado.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I only have used and own 22mm and smaller atties. As far as the bottom vs side vs top vs combination air flow goes and even coil position in general. Is all very subjective. In some atties and some builds with some juices bottom is best. in others side. Bottom air is the most leaky...... My 3 most use atties are a Chalice 3, mine is top-ish air (can be side), Kayfuns bottom air and my Avacado side air. I rarely vape at over 25watts, and prefer simple twisted wire builds.

FOR ME, The Chalice and Kayfuns give the best flavor, the avocado is not far behind. But I don't think the location of the coils or air holes has as much to do with this than the fact that the Chalice has the smallest chamber and tightest draw, followed by the Kayfun and Avocado.
really depends on his builds an wattage for sure. while some tanks can be great at 25 watts, others will be near useless. and if he's vaping at 80 watts that 25 watt tank might not work well. So it's really a combo of build + airlfow + wattage + type of vape. which is really hard to gauge for everyone as we are all different

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
really depends on his builds an wattage for sure. while some tanks can be great at 25 watts, others will be near useless. and if he's vaping at 80 watts that 25 watt tank might not work well. So it's really a combo of build + airlfow + wattage + type of vape. which is really hard to gauge for everyone as we are all different
@SirRichardRear this is all a new venture for me. Right now I have a hohm wrecker g2, with a big baby beast tank. I've been using the T8 coils at 60 watts. I keep my air flow closed a little more than half. I used to keep it mostly open but with the juices I've been using lately I seem to get better flavor with it closed more. After I get one of these genesis style rda's, next will be a,straight up dripper definitely. I'm really looking forward to building my own coils and wicking. I love learning new things and figuring stuff out. I'm so glad I stopped smoking and starting vaping!! It's so much better!! And the "vaping community" is LEGIT!! This is my first time in any kind of forum. And you guys rock! I really appreciate all this info/knowledge being passed my way. But I know I'm gonna have alot more to figure out with ohms/wattage/airflow, ect. Alot more involved than just throwing on a coil head and hitting the fire button.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear this is all a new venture for me. Right now I have a hohm wrecker g2, with a big baby beast tank. I've been using the T8 coils at 60 watts. I keep my air flow closed a little more than half. I used to keep it mostly open but with the juices I've been using lately I seem to get better flavor with it closed more. After I get one of these genesis style rda's, next will be a,straight up dripper definitely. I'm really looking forward to building my own coils and wicking. I love learning new things and figuring stuff out. I'm so glad I stopped smoking and starting vaping!! It's so much better!! And the "vaping community" is LEGIT!! This is my first time in any kind of forum. And you guys rock! I really appreciate all this info/knowledge being passed my way. But I know I'm gonna have alot more to figure out with ohms/wattage/airflow, ect. Alot more involved than just throwing on a coil head and hitting the fire button.
I'm glad you quit smoking! and you found a great place for help. tons of helpful people here to get you through everything you need

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now that I have a decent mod. I'm going to invest in some tanks. First a gta, second, a rda, then maybe another sub ohm tank. Then I definitely need to get a "smaller" mod. Like 75/80w single 18650. Something a little easier to bring to work than my hohm wrecker. LOL.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm glad you quit smoking! and you found a great place for help. tons of helpful people here to get you through everything you need
@SirRichardRear thank you good Sir!! I'm sure ill have a ton of questions once I get this tank in my hands. Are you guys allowed to recommend online stores to buy gear/hardware from? Like I said, this is all new to me, I don't want to get ripped off or deal with a bum site. The few things I've purchased so far are from local stores. But I think I'm gonna get this new tank on line.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Now that I have a decent mod. I'm going to invest in some tanks. First a gta, second, a rda, then maybe another sub ohm tank. Then I definitely need to get a "smaller" mod. Like 75/80w single 18650. Something a little easier to bring to work than my hohm wrecker. LOL.
decent? you got one of the best my friend! that was nice of your friend to give you that. they make a smaller single 18650 mod as well thats 101 watts but same chip called the hohmslice
here is a quick video on how to use the G2

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear thank you good Sir!! I'm sure ill have a ton of questions once I get this tank in my hands. Are you guys allowed to recommend online stores to buy gear/hardware from? Like I said, this is all new to me, I don't want to get ripped off or deal with a bum site. The few things I've purchased so far are from local stores. But I think I'm gonna get this new tank on line.
yup we all know the good sites and are always looking for sales and posting them ;)

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
decent? you got one of the best my friend! that was nice of your friend to give you that. they make a smaller single 18650 mod as well thats 101 watts but same chip called the hohmslice
here is a quick video on how to use the G2
@SirRichardRear I just did a quick attempt at the temp control with my big baby. Question.....when I hit the fire button, I feel a short burst of vapor,but then nothing? I made a bunch of different adjustments...but tge only thing that changed was the strength of that first short burst. It's probably 1 1/2 - 2 seconds long.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear I just did a quick attempt at the temp control with my big baby. Question.....when I hit the fire button, I feel a short burst of vapor,but then nothing? I made a bunch of different adjustments...but tge only thing that changed was the strength of that first short burst. It's probably 1 1/2 - 2 seconds long.
Make sure the atty is room temp before putting it on the mod. Reset the mods resistance before putting on the atty. Set it to kenthal mode and change kenthal curve to 75%

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure the atty is room temp before putting it on the mod. Reset the mods resistance before putting on the atty. Set it to kenthal mode and change kenthal curve to 75%

@SirRichardRear , ohhhhhh. LOL. Gottcha! I was sittin out here vaping, watching your video, and made a feeble attempt....with my atty putting in work already. I'm off to work the night shift, but I'm definitely gonna try this out tomorrow. Temp control on my big baby beast coil heads?!?!.....dope shit man! I'll hit you up Manana. Thanks again for all your help.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear , ohhhhhh. LOL. Gottcha! I was sittin out here vaping, watching your video, and made a feeble attempt....with my atty putting in work already. I'm off to work the night shift, but I'm definitely gonna try this out tomorrow. Temp control on my big baby beast coil heads?!?!.....dope shit man! I'll hit you up Manana. Thanks again for all your help.
No problem! I don't have the big baby but I have the tfv8 and the baby and both work great on the g2 in temp control at 75% fsk in kenthal mode. And the big baby uses the same coils as the baby ;)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sorry... I thought the OP asked a general which is best question...

I gave some suggestions in how to decide and an example of how I decided..

I was also trying to point out that max output vaping is not the only or best way to vape.

See I'm kinda old school. I still don't think people should start out at below 1 ohm or with more than about 20 watts..
But the juice makers gotta make a profit so we build monster coils and dump as many watts at it as possible. Converting as much juice to steam as we can as fast as we can.....

Good to see Capitalism flourishing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm sorry... I thought the OP asked a general which is best question...

I gave some suggestions in how to decide and an example of how I decided..

I was also trying to point out that max output vaping is not the only or best way to vape.

See I'm kinda old school. I still don't think people should start out at below 1 ohm or with more than about 20 watts..
But the juice makers gotta make a profit so we build monster coils and dump as many watts at it as possible. Converting as much juice to steam as we can as fast as we can.....

Good to see Capitalism flourishing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Lol no need for apologies man. I do the same thing at times. Your suggestion was still a good one for most people quitting smoking

VU Sponsors