Become a Patron!

Having 2nd thoughts..(My first RTA)

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought I had my mind made up on the single coil Ammit RTA by geek vape as I thought it was basic and simple. It turns out it's a little tricky to set up in actuality. I'm looking to get my first RTA next week. The Canadian vendors I buy from don't have all of the options you guys may have. From the vendors I buy from the other three that have peaked my interest are the Vandy Vape Kylin & Govad RTA's and possibly the SMM Serpent..I'm not stretching the truth when I say my options are limited. That's probably all I can get my hands on lol So basically which is the most straight forward? A leaky & difficult SOB is what I'm what I'm trying to avoid. I'll be using a Smok Alien 220 with samung 25R's and some basic single wire builds..maybe basic pre-made claptons as well..I like a low wattage vape 30-40 watts I'm willing to bump it up to 50-60 if that's what it takes to get a good vaping experience and of course needing to stay within the safe limits of my batteries. Any help is appreciated.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I have the SMM Matty and I enjoy it. I do not tolerate fiddley tanks. SMM very easy to install coil & wick. Almost impossible to get it to leak. I've been trying out several coils on it and all work well. You may have to raise/lower coil a couple times to find sweet spot, no big deal. You don't have to empty tank to tweak coil or wick. You will have to tweak every rta you try, just the way it is. SMM is one of the easier ones that performs well. Maybe use the SMM to learn on and get Ammit later. Ammit 25 is a good tank, just has a steeper learning curve.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am gravitating towards the SMM Serpent now..I still love the idea of single coil and i like the compactness of the serpent, I watched some videos and am pretty much sold. Thanks for your help!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another plus 1 for the SMM. Easy to build and wick, great flavor and mine hasn't leaked yet. I like it enough to have bought another one. The way it's built you can turn it upside down with liquid in it and unscrew the base if you need to get at the coil. There's enough room to fit a big coil and the ones that come with it are good.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure if you're talking about the original ammit or the ammit 25mm.

I have the original ammit and the flavor's decent, it's not the worst rta I've used but geekvape dropped the ball a bit. Wicking can be tricky, too short and it leaks, too long and it chokes. I run 3.5-4mm single coils in it, anything less and pretty sure it would leak due to not thick enough wick material to fill the juice basin. The tiny holes in the deck for juice to come up through were addressed in later models.

The top cap is two pieces screwed into one another. IE the chimney, then the glass, then a flat disc with the fill ports screws onto the chimney to capture the glass. The top cap for filling then screws into that. If you don't tighten the top cap enough it doesn't get a good seal and leaks. If it's too tight, when you go to open it the top cap doesn't unscrew - instead the ring that holds the glass to the chimney unscrews so the glass comes off. Then you're left trying to grasp the top cap and use a pair of needle nose pliers to get those two pieces apart.

No knurling on the top cap means 50% of the time you have to use a rag or papertowel to grasp the glass and grasp the top cap and then hope the top cap is what actually unscrews to fill it or you're back to grabbing pliers. It's not unusable, I'm using it right now but it definitely has its quirks and if I'd known how many quirks I probably would have chosen something else.

No matter how much wick I've got it still leaks a bit after awhile (a day or two) so I take it off my mod, close the juice flow, wrap a paper towel around the air inlets and blow back through it hard to clear it out. Keep in mind that's while using 80vg so it's not like it's 50/50 or something thin.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the SMM Matty and I enjoy it. I do not tolerate fiddley tanks. SMM very easy to install coil & wick. Almost impossible to get it to leak. I've been trying out several coils on it and all work well. You may have to raise/lower coil a couple times to find sweet spot, no big deal. You don't have to empty tank to tweak coil or wick. You will have to tweak every rta you try, just the way it is. SMM is one of the easier ones that performs well. Maybe use the SMM to learn on and get Ammit later. Ammit 25 is a good tank, just has a steeper learning curve.
I totally agree!

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is it the ammit 25 you're having problems with? If so what's the problem? I have it and it works great. Flavor is great too. There's a trick to Wicking to prevent it from leaking.

I love my Ammit 25. Great flavor, so easy to build on and its really great being able to take off the tank while 90% full, to change out a coil or cotton :) The wicking is really not as hard as some people make it out to be and I'v found cutting my cotton roughly in line with the bottom o-rings, is perfect for avoiding leaks and dry hits.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
My Kylin leaks. It seems to be common.VandyVape is replacing it, but there's no guarantee the new one will be better.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The first Merlins were troublesome as well. Augvape stepped up and offered replacement decks. Top af has come a long way and works well for me in the Nanos. Pre ordered a GeekVape Zeus. Usually don't do that, but liked the design enough to take a chance. Good luck with the new Kylin @two2wheels.

VU Sponsors