Become a Patron!

Having some problems wicking

Hey guys, this is my 2nd post here and have been learning a lot since my first one. I'm currently rocking a sigeli 150w, and a mutation X rda and am really loving the combo. I'm running a 1.4 ohm 28g kanthal micro coil which is perfect for the amount of heat and vapor I'm looking for. My biggest issue is that sometimes on slightly higher wattages (40, 50 watts) I notice I only get about 3 nice hits before I get a really dry hit. The cotton inside the coil is dry, but the rest underneath is nice and wet. Why am I getting dry hits while parts of my cotton are still completely saturated? Any help would be appreciated, I am making sure the cotton is completely filled in the coil but it still slides back and forth pretty easily. I'm lost! Thank you!

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
put more resistance inside the coil. its too loose and singeing the cotton at higher wattages

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea use more cotton so there is more resistance when you pull it through. when your wick is saturated and still getting a dry hit its because there isnt enough cotton inside the coil

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Without seeing any pictures, it sounds like your cotton is too tight in the coil getting choked off, and/or maybe your coil is too far up off the deck, or you simplyy don't have it juiced up enough. Play with those three and you'll get'er

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Without seeing any pictures, it sounds like your cotton is too tight in the coil getting choked off, and/or maybe your coil is too far up off the deck, or you simplyy don't have it juiced up enough. Play with those three and you'll get'er

I agree with this statement.

It can be hard to find the correct amount of wick to go inside of a coil.

More of an art really than a science.

The coil must be full of wicking material but it should not be compacted/compressed to the point where the liquid cannot "flow" into it to the point where it becomes easily dry and subject to burning.

Think of it this way.

Imagine the wick material swelling as it is exposed to liquid.

Insert the wick in the coil keeping the swelling in mind and the expanded wick just meeting with the surface of the coil as the desired result.

Makes more sense in my head but hopefully I have explained this in a way to get my point across?

Zen lesson now over young Grasshopper:D

tmeuan62

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just got me a ARIS I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY WRAPS U WOUKD DO . I did five and it was to hot it tasted luke the juices waa burnes. And it was .4oms I don't want it that low I want it about. 8oms. Can u help me. THANKS

VU Sponsors