Become a Patron!

HCigar VT75 Issue?

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Hey all, I have just gotten the HCigar VT75 and I'm having a bit of an issue that I can't seem to figure out. The mod works perfectly for some random period of time, anywhere from several hours to 3 minutes, then it starts reading "Temperature Protected" as soon as I hit the fire button. No matter how long I let it sit, it won't reset itself until I unscrew the tank and screw it down again.

I'm currently running a Crown with the RBA, 5 wrap, 3mm id, .45ohm SS-316L, at 420*F power limited to 38 watts. This combination works fine on all my other mods using TC mode for SS, so I am not sure what the issue could be, but I'm hesitant to point the finger at the mod just yet.

@Wingsfan0310 do you have any thoughts on this?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey all, I have just gotten the HCigar VT75 and I'm having a bit of an issue that I can't seem to figure out. The mod works perfectly for some random period of time, anywhere from several hours to 3 minutes, then it starts reading "Temperature Protected" as soon as I hit the fire button. No matter how long I let it sit, it won't reset itself until I unscrew the tank and screw it down again.

I'm currently running a Crown with the RBA, 5 wrap, 3mm id, .45ohm SS-316L, at 420*F power limited to 38 watts. This combination works fine on all my other mods using TC mode for SS, so I am not sure what the issue could be, but I'm hesitant to point the finger at the mod just yet.

Real quick off the top of my head. In a DNA mod Temp Protect is the mod telling you it's reached the temp you set and is varying power to keep you there. It's not a warning but informational. Why it's hitting that immediately is another story.

I make sure the coil is at room temperature, hit the fire button before screwing it on. Then it should ask you new coil when first fired (unless it's about the same resistance as the last coil that was used). I would look at the Atomizer Analyzer on the General Tab of Escribe and make sure you are getting stable resistance from the atty. I would also check to make sure preheat isn't cranked up to high for 316L (on my DNA200 mods I have it set to 1watt, 1 punch, for 1 second - basically off). I would check to see if the mod resistance has been filled in (I have my Hcigar mods set around .004-.005 ohms but don't have the 75 to check).

That all being said, I'm not a fan of 316L for TC. My TC graphs using it were always on the jagged side (but it worked). I switched over to SS430 because it has about a 50% higher TCR than 316. My SS430 graphs are smooth, I really like the stuff.

TC graph for SS430
upload_2016-6-8_17-44-46.png

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Thanks Steve, it's especially weird since I don't have this problem on any other mod, just this one. I've tried it on my VTBox 200, RX75, VTC Mini, etc ... no issues in TC except this mod. I'll try changing up some of the settings you've recommended and see if that has any effect. Really hoping it's NOT the chip/mod ...

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Steve, it's especially weird since I don't have this problem on any other mod, just this one. I've tried it on my VTBox 200, RX75, VTC Mini, etc ... no issues in TC except this mod. I'll try changing up some of the settings you've recommended and see if that has any effect. Really hoping it's NOT the chip/mod ...
Me too, I sent you a PM. I'm about done for the night because I have an early morning tomorrow. I'll get in touch tomorrow if I can think of anything.

Cheers,
Steve

Telefunkin U47

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had issues with the DNA chip and ss316 also that had no issues on my other mods. In the end I locked the resistance and set it just a hair higher than it was actually reading (about.02 higher) set the preheat as low as it would go, and it would run pretty good. Haven't tried it but supposedly spaced coils work better. After seeing wingsfans graphs though, probably gonna have to grab a roll of 430!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Me too, I sent you a PM. I'm about done for the night because I have an early morning tomorrow. I'll get in touch tomorrow if I can think of anything.

Cheers,
Steve
I'll go look for the PM in a second. Just a quick update, the analyzer is staying at 0.441 - 0.443 and seems pretty stable ... the graph looks good to me as well, a bit more jagged than yours though ... LOL

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had issues with the DNA chip and ss316 also that had no issues on my other mods. In the end I locked the resistance and set it just a hair higher than it was actually reading (about.02 higher) set the preheat as low as it would go, and it would run pretty good. Haven't tried it but supposedly spaced coils work better. After seeing wingsfans graphs though, probably gonna have to grab a roll of 430!
Yes, I forgot about the spaced coils part. I had better results with spaced coils and the preheat I described above. By the way , I bought my SS430 from Unkamen Supplies. Here's the link if you are interested:
http://www.unkamensupplies.com/prod...e-nickel-free-introductory-sale-100-guarantee

Cheers,
Steve

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
The worst part is that I don't have any issues with this tank on the VTBox (DNA 200), only the VT75. The 430 graph looks awesome and I may have to grab some too, but I've got 20'-30' of 316L to go through first ... LOL!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Yes, I forgot about the spaced coils part. I had better results with spaced coils and the preheat I described above. By the way , I bought my SS430 from Unkamen Supplies. Here's the link if you are interested:
http://www.unkamensupplies.com/prod...e-nickel-free-introductory-sale-100-guarantee

Cheers,
Steve
Yeah, I've had it in my cart about 10 times already, just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I think I'm going to reach out and ask if he can send me about 12" to sample before I commit to it. Not that it's a lot of $$, I just have a seriously small vape budget.

Oh, and I only build spaced coils in my attys.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The worst part is that I don't have any issues with this tank on the VTBox (DNA 200), only the VT75. The 430 graph looks awesome and I may have to grab some too, but I've got 20'-30' of 316L to go through first ... LOL!
LOL, I have 3 different rolls of 316 collecting dust (3 different gauges) after I bought the SS430. Thankfully they aren't huge rolls :D

Cheers,
Steve

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Here's a graph of mine ... maybe something will stand out ... ?

2016-06-21.png

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@DevAuto The guy from the thread I linked you too got a reply from Evolv. I just copied it, so here goes, maybe it will help you:

"My first Reply from Evolv..

"On the bottom of your VT75 you will see a screw next to the battery cap. Can you try to ensure this screw is tight, as well as the center pin screw on the battery cap?

The one not on the battery cap is the ground for the device/board, and the behavior you are seeing could occur if that screw is not tight and making a good connection."

Cheers,
Steve

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was that using the eScribe software tool or a standalone tester? That is why I asked buddy.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Was that using the eScribe software tool or a standalone tester? That is why I asked buddy.
I used the eScribe software tool. I'm sorry, your question was about the Atomizer Analyzer, I thought it was clear.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So you used the Atomizer Analyzer? Is there another tool in the eScribe?

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
The only other one I used was the one that creates the graph above ...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK, that is in the Device Monitor. I see what you used now. I didn't really look at the picture because I had thought you were using a stand alone device.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
OK, that is in the Device Monitor. I see what you used now. I didn't really look at the picture because I had thought you were using a stand alone device.
LOL! I'm guilty of doing the same thing sometimes, glad I'm not the only one. :)

I really wish I could figure this out, it's driving me nuts.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It might help if I wasn't following 3 threads on 3 different MOD's/forums and planning dinner at the same time!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You think? I just got a snoot full of Garlic Powder and my nose is bugging out!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you used the Atomizer Analyzer? It tests the coil for stability and I plugged my DNA it to recreate your graph but it doesn't do what the Analyzer does. May want to give it a shot.

SmilinVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you check your preheat values? Try turning preheat off.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Have you used the Atomizer Analyzer? It tests the coil for stability and I plugged my DNA it to recreate your graph but it doesn't do what the Analyzer does. May want to give it a shot.
Yes, the values in post 6 came from the atomizer analyzer. The graphing tool is a separate tool that I also used for the screenshot.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At least you weren't so distracted that you filled your tank with it... :D

No I was seasoning the chicken for the BBQ and the wind blew in the window in the kitchen. I am still sneezing and my eyes are watering. Still!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

clan
Look at the threads on the mod at the battery end and at the top, (unscrew the 510 connector). Are they shiny metal or do they have anodizing/paint on them? If they aren't shiny, take a ss wire brush in a dremel or drill and clean the anodizing or paint from the threads in both top and bottom. It's a know QC issue that has been making the rounds in reddit and other boards.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Look at the threads on the mod at the battery end and at the top, (unscrew the 510 connector). Are they shiny metal or do they have anodizing/paint on them? If they aren't shiny, take a ss wire brush in a dremel or drill and clean the anodizing or paint from the threads in both top and bottom. It's a know QC issue that has been making the rounds in reddit and other boards.
Thanks @Zamazam . The battery end looks good, and the top I'll have to check once I find something strong enough to use as leverage in those little damn holes!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sounds like the mod is hitting Temp Protect too fast. Is that your main problem?

I know I already mentioned Mod Internal Resistance, What is it set at?

When you use the Atomizer Analyzer, Are you getting the same resistance as other mods, A DMM, or ohm checker read?

Are you locking Resistance in TC? Evolv suggests you don't unless you are using an atomizer with unstable resistance. They have refinement which gets shut off when resistance is locked. I don't lock resistance in TC.

Cheers,
Steve

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
It sounds like the mod is hitting Temp Protect too fast. Is that your main problem?

I know I already mentioned Mod Internal Resistance, What is it set at?

When you use the Atomizer Analyzer, Are you getting the same resistance as other mods, A DMM, or ohm checker read?

Are you locking Resistance in TC? Evolv suggests you don't unless you are using an atomizer with unstable resistance. They have refinement which gets shut off when resistance is locked. I don't lock resistance in TC.

Cheers,
Steve
Okay, so where do I find the Mod Internal Resistance? Is that the "Cold Ohms" in the Analyzer, or is it somewhere else? I've gone through every screen and every tool and can't find anything that looks like what you are asking about.

Yes, the analyzer seems to be very consistent with other mods.

I am not locking resistance as the Atomizer Analyzer is fluctuating around .003 and no more.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so where do I find the Mod Internal Resistance? Is that the "Cold Ohms" in the Analyzer, or is it somewhere else? I've gone through every screen and every tool and can't find anything that looks like what you are asking about.

Yes, the analyzer seems to be very consistent with other mods.

I am not locking resistance as the Atomizer Analyzer is fluctuating around .003 and no more.
Mod Resistance is located on the Mod tab of Escribe. You click on manufacturer settings and it's in the Electical section.

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It might not matter but on my Hcigar DNA200 mods, I have mine set to .004-005. As a matter of fact, I have all my DNA200 mods set between .003-.007 ohms. There is a tool that shorts the 510 connection and you look at the Atomizer Analyzer to see resistance, that would be the mods internal resistance. All mods have some internal resistance. Escribe subtracts the internal resistance from the total to know the attys true resistance (makes TC more accurate)

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
It might not matter but on my Hcigar DNA200 mods, I have mine set to .004-005. As a matter of fact, I have all my DNA200 mods set between .003-.007 ohms. There is a tool that shorts the 510 connection and you look at the Atomizer Analyzer to see resistance, that would be the mods internal resistance. All mods have some internal resistance. Escribe subtracts the internal resistance from the total to know the attys true resistance (makes TC more accurate)
Hmmm ... another tool I can't find ... where is the one that shorts the 510?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not on Escribe. It's basically a Copper plug a guy made and was selling for ~$10. Some people have built their own. Just set it to .004 and then click on "Upload Settings to Device" at the top of Escribe to save the changes to your mod.

PS There are posts about the tool on Evolv's Early Adopters Forum. I can try to find the link for you if needed. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Steve

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
It's not on Escribe. It's basically a Copper plug a guy made and was selling for ~$10. Some people have built their own. Just set it to .004 and then click on "Upload Settings to Device" at the top of Escribe to save the changes to your mod.

PS There are posts about the tool on Evolv's Early Adopters Forum. I can try to find the link for you if needed. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Steve
That makes a lot more sense, I assumed it was electronically shorting the atomizer within Escribe. I didn't realize it was an actual, physical short.

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have had similar issues with the vt75. My issues were with 316l as well.. when I would first put the tank on it would be ok but if I would put it down and not use it for a while the next time I took a vape I would get that temp protect as well giving me a really weak vape and would have to take to atty off and back on to fix it.. what mostly fixed it for me was using DJLSB vt200 SS settings.. I used his profile for it and just adjusted it for the vt75. it vapes so much better now and only sometimes have issues with it.. Honestly I think the dna doesn't do SS very well. all my joyetech and wismec mods seem to work so much better in SS at lower temps. example is for the same atty I can have it on my joyetech at 450 degrees but for the same vape i have to put it on 500 degrees to get a similar vape. Also the power just seems more consistent on the joyetech.. Some may say the joyetechs are off and giving more power but based on technical reviews these devices are pretty accurate.. other then having the ability to mess around escibe I just don't see the hype with dna chips when it comes to SS

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had similar issues with the vt75. My issues were with 316l as well.. when I would first put the tank on it would be ok but if I would put it down and not use it for a while the next time I took a vape I would get that temp protect as well giving me a really weak vape and would have to take to atty off and back on to fix it.. what mostly fixed it for me was using DJLSB vt200 SS settings.. I used his profile for it and just adjusted it for the vt75. it vapes so much better now and only sometimes have issues with it.. Honestly I think the dna doesn't do SS very well. all my joyetech and wismec mods seem to work so much better in SS at lower temps. example is for the same atty I can have it on my joyetech at 450 degrees but for the same vape i have to put it on 500 degrees to get a similar vape. Also the power just seems more consistent on the joyetech.. Some may say the joyetechs are off and giving more power but based on technical reviews these devices are pretty accurate.. other then having the ability to mess around escibe I just don't see the hype with dna chips when it comes to SS
It works great with SS430. I posted my TC graph and it's about as flat as it can get. I run mine at 420F. There are lots of grades of SS each with a different TCR, 316 is just one of them.

PS I'm using DNA200 mods. My SS316 worked ok but the TC curve is nowhere near as flat as SS430.

Cheers,
Steve

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Thanks @SHOUTCAST ... I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens.

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It works great with SS430. I posted my TC graph and it's about as flat as it can get. I run mine at 420F. There are lots of grades of SS each with a different TCR, 316 is just one of them.

PS I'm using DNA200 mods. My SS316 worked ok but the TC curve is nowhere near as flat as SS430.

Cheers,
Steve

I have seen your other posts about ss430. i have considered it but haven't looked too hard. I remember i did a quick search for 24g ss430 and couldn't find anything.. I guess I would settle for 26g or 24g. But am not interested in 28g.. I believe that is what you use from your past posts..

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@DevAuto The guy from the thread I linked you too got a reply from Evolv. I just copied it, so here goes, maybe it will help you:

"My first Reply from Evolv..

"On the bottom of your VT75 you will see a screw next to the battery cap. Can you try to ensure this screw is tight, as well as the center pin screw on the battery cap?

The one not on the battery cap is the ground for the device/board, and the behavior you are seeing could occur if that screw is not tight and making a good connection."

Cheers,
Steve
I know that I'm replying to an older post, but this solved my problems. Thanks!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I know that I'm replying to an older post, but this solved my problems. Thanks!
I'm glad it helped someone ... I'm about to throw the damn thing in the trash ... Absolutely love my DNA 200, but this 75 is a hot effing mess!

VU Sponsors