Become a Patron!

Heads up - Vapes/e-cigs Prohibited at TD Garden

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

I just wanted to pass along this info as this was the first time I've tried to enter a place where I was told I wasn't allowed to bring my vape (Breeze 2) into the arena. My options were to take it back out to my car (which wasn't an option since I didn't drive there) or surrender it to security. Fortunately, I know some people that work there, and was able to call one of my friends down to have them hold it for me until after the game so it wouldn't get thrown out by security (since "in the trash" is their policy for confiscated vapes). They said it was a new policy and that it was on the website (and sure enough, when I got home, I checked and "Vape Pens or similar not allowed inside arena" is listed under their prohibited items list.) In any case, I know the Garden is run by Delaware North, who also seem to run a number of other arenas around the country, so I can't say what other stadiums or arenas have implemented or are implementing this type of policy, but in any case, if you're going to TD Garden in Boston, leave your vape/e-cig in your car or at home, because they will not let you take it into the building, and if you surrender it to security, you can expect to never see it again. :(

-George

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow, is right because I had to go to a NY State Court House recently and forgot to leave my Vape MOD in the car. Put it in the plastic container and got it back after walking the Metal detector. If need be I could have went back to leave it in the car although it would have been a long walk. I wonder if that is legal to prohibit bringing it in the building although they can prohibit using it.

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
At the garden, they ask you to hold anything from your pockets over your head when you walk through the metal detector, so I just had it in my hands with my wallet, keys and phone. The security person told me that vapes and ecigs weren't allowed, but that I could ask a supervisor if they would give me an exception. The supervisor said no way, so since I know a few people that work there, I was able to get in touch with one of them who came down to the security checkpoint and took my vape for me, and I just met up with them after the game. Then I was able to pass through security to go watch the game. It just boggles my mind because if I had been carrying cigarettes and a lighter, there wouldn't have been a problem. In any case, I just wanted to pass my experience along because I'd hate to hear that someone had to surrender their vape at a stadium, only to never see it again.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds to me like a scam to get lots of free vape gear. :cuss2: I can understand Prohibiting certain items like firearms in buildings or venues but I question the legal aspect of it concerning vape gear. Like you said cigarettes are allowed? I understand 100% how they can ban the use of them but I question if they can prohibit carrying them.

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
I don't know if it's legal or not for them to prohibit something like vapes, but I do know that I'm certainly not the guy with the coffers to take them to court on it LOL! :D But I do find it very strange that cigarettes and lighters are ok, but vapes aren't. Either way, I just wanted to let people know in the hope that it will prevent anyone from losing their vape (at the Garden or any other stadium). I can't tell you the panic that came over me when it happened, as I've only been vaping a few weeks and have already become reliant on my vape as it has kept me off the cigarettes, and all I could picture was me having to go and buy cigarettes after the game to hold me over until I could get a new vape. Fortunately, my wife is much smarter than I am, so she asked me if anyone I knew was working that night, so at least I was able to get it back after the game was over.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
They can set whatever terms they want really (so long as race/religion/etc do not come into play). No different than a business putting up a 30.06 sign or requiring shirt and shoes for service. Its dirty business for sure, but they get to set the terms.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all,

I just wanted to pass along this info as this was the first time I've tried to enter a place where I was told I wasn't allowed to bring my vape (Breeze 2) into the arena. My options were to take it back out to my car (which wasn't an option since I didn't drive there) or surrender it to security. Fortunately, I know some people that work there, and was able to call one of my friends down to have them hold it for me until after the game so it wouldn't get thrown out by security (since "in the trash" is their policy for confiscated vapes). They said it was a new policy and that it was on the website (and sure enough, when I got home, I checked and "Vape Pens or similar not allowed inside arena" is listed under their prohibited items list.) In any case, I know the Garden is run by Delaware North, who also seem to run a number of other arenas around the country, so I can't say what other stadiums or arenas have implemented or are implementing this type of policy, but in any case, if you're going to TD Garden in Boston, leave your vape/e-cig in your car or at home, because they will not let you take it into the building, and if you surrender it to security, you can expect to never see it again. :(

-George

Do you mean the Boston Gardens? I haven't lived there in a long time. WTF does TD mean?

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
Yeah, but not the classic old Boston Garden. When they tore down the old stadium, the new one was going to be Shawmut Center, but then Fleet Bank got the naming rights before it opened (I believe they bought out Shawmut bank, but I can't be bothered to look that up right now lol!) So when the new stadium opened, it was the FleetCenter. I guess TD Bank must've bought out Fleet bank at some point and got the naming rights that way, so they changed the name again, but this time they added Garden back to the name, so now it's the TD BankNorth Garden (really rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?) or just the TD Garden. I refuse to call it the Boston Garden because I've got lots of memories in that building, and this new building, while essentially in the old building's footprint, is simply not the Garden I knew growing up. Don't get me wrong, I love the arena, it's just not the old Garden. :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, but not the classic old Boston Garden. When they tore down the old stadium, the new one was going to be Shawmut Center, but then Fleet Bank got the naming rights before it opened (I believe they bought out Shawmut bank, but I can't be bothered to look that up right now lol!) So when the new stadium opened, it was the FleetCenter. I guess TD Bank must've bought out Fleet bank at some point and got the naming rights that way, so they changed the name again, but this time they added Garden back to the name, so now it's the TD BankNorth Garden (really rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?) or just the TD Garden. I refuse to call it the Boston Garden because I've got lots of memories in that building, and this new building, while essentially in the old building's footprint, is simply not the Garden I knew growing up. Don't get me wrong, I love the arena, it's just not the old Garden. :)

I agree, it was a classic. I was never a hockey or basketball fan, but I saw a lot of great music acts there. The Allman Brothers, CSNY, Ten Years After, and so on. It was a great place. One of my favorite things were the Grateful Dead shows. I never saw one but I'd go there to score good stuff from the Deadheads. Great memories, at least the ones I remember.

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
We went there for everything. As a kid it was hockey, basketball, the circus and the ice capades. When I hit my teens, the circus and ice capades were replaced by concerts. In the 'new' Garden, you at least don't have to worry about being seated behind a pole anymore lol!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We went there for everything. As a kid it was hockey, basketball, the circus and the ice capades. When I hit my teens, the circus and ice capades were replaced by concerts. In the 'new' Garden, you at least don't have to worry about being seated behind a pole anymore lol!

The Circus and Ice Capades!! I forgot about that. I grew up in Alston/Brighton, my mom was from Cambridge and my dad was raised in the old West End and when it was razed they all moved to the North End. They were a typical Boston Irish/Italian catholic couple. I've spent the last 20 years outside the US, but Boston is still my favorite city in the world. We used to go on school field trips to Fenway...that was pretty damn cool.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't know if it's legal or not for them to prohibit something like vapes, but I do know that I'm certainly not the guy with the coffers to take them to court on it LOL! :D But I do find it very strange that cigarettes and lighters are ok, but vapes aren't. Either way, I just wanted to let people know in the hope that it will prevent anyone from losing their vape (at the Garden or any other stadium). I can't tell you the panic that came over me when it happened, as I've only been vaping a few weeks and have already become reliant on my vape as it has kept me off the cigarettes, and all I could picture was me having to go and buy cigarettes after the game to hold me over until I could get a new vape. Fortunately, my wife is much smarter than I am, so she asked me if anyone I knew was working that night, so at least I was able to get it back after the game was over.

They're afraid of batteries exploding

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
The Circus and Ice Capades!! I forgot about that. I grew up in Alston/Brighton, my mom was from Cambridge and my dad was raised in the old West End and when it was razed they all moved to the North End. They were a typical Boston Irish/Italian catholic couple. I've spent the last 20 years outside the US, but Boston is still my favorite city in the world. We used to go on school field trips to Fenway...that was pretty damn cool.
When I was a kid, my dad would take me to Fenway, and wait outside until the end of the 2nd/top of the 3rd, and then he would buy our tickets off a scalper for a fraction of face value. Sometimes they were even good seats! LOL! I grew up in the North End myself, and actually just moved back here 2 years ago. But the neighborhood has changed since I was a kid. It's more like the Italy pavilion at Epcot than it is like the little italy I grew up in!

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
They're afraid of batteries exploding
That could very well be their reasoning, I couldn't say. I'd just hate to come on here and find someone post that their vape got thrown out when going through security at a stadium without trying to at least let folks know to just leave it in their car if possible. :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was a kid, my dad would take me to Fenway, and wait outside until the end of the 2nd/top of the 3rd, and then he would buy our tickets off a scalper for a fraction of face value. Sometimes they were even good seats! LOL! I grew up in the North End myself, and actually just moved back here 2 years ago. But the neighborhood has changed since I was a kid. It's more like the Italy pavilion at Epcot than it is like the little italy I grew up in!

I don't if you're old enough but there used to be a fruit and vegetable store on the corner of Cross and Salem streets, you'd see as you came out of the tunnel. My uncle Archie owned that and the butcher stop next to it on Salem street. I have fond memories of going to the North End as a kid and running around with my cousins at night. Do you remember Haymarket? I had a few relatives there.

My grandfather immigrated to the US from Naples when he was a kid. He and his kids grew up hard in the West End and they were a rough and tough bunch, but I have great memories (for the most part) of them. I was the absolute first member of the extended family to graduate from college. They always treated me as if I were a prized zoo animal, they liked to fawn over me and hold me up for others to see, yet they were always wary of me because they didn't really understand me.

I do remember when the NE started to gentrify in the 80's. Most of the family moved to Malden. Gee, I haven't spoke about this stuff in 20 years.

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
I'm 48. I actually do remember the fruit and vegetable store on Cross St., but we usually shopped at Rosario's (now Albie's, but still in the same location) on Parmenter St. next to the North End Union. But I do remember when we'd go in the place on Cross St., I always wondered why my mother and grandmother didn't shop there more often, since it was a much, much bigger store than Rosario's place was (it didn't occur to me at the time, that Rosario's was simply closer to the house lol.) Haymarket still exists and you can still get some good fruits and veggies there on the weekends, still right on Blackstone St., only the off ramp from the old central artery has long since been torn down during the whole Big Dig, so it's more 'open' there these days lol! For the butcher, we went to Andy's Meat Market on Richmond (which is now part of Villa Francesca restaurant), though these days, we only have Sulmona left (the butcher shop on the bottom half of Parmenter St., next to Polcari's Coffee, which is also still there, and still has amazing lemon slush during the summer!) But at least I still have a butcher shop where I can walk in and tell him just how thick I want my steaks cut. :)

Both my parents were born and raised right here in the North End, as was my grandmother on my mother's side. My mother's side of the family originally came from Sciacca and my father's side were from Mineo. I really remember the gentrification back in the '80s. That's when most of my friend's families had to start moving out to suburbia (Somerville, Malden, Medford, Revere, etc.)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always thought it was kind of funny that they all thought they were moving to the suburbs. I guess when you're used to the tightness of the North End, 5 miles away is a serious distance. I miss pizza more than any other food. There used to be a great shop on Salem just down from Cross. They had a white pizza that was heavenly. Is the European still open? We used to go there and I always liked it. I haven't been in Boston for quite some time, but when I do go I always got walking around that entire area.

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
The European closed a long time ago, there's actually been an art installation on the Greenway (the old footprint of the expressway is now a strip of parks sitting on top of the depressed artery) that has a bunch of old neon signs from around New England, and the European's sign is one of the signs they have on display. I have to laugh at the thought of Malden being the suburbs, but then, when I was a kid I had an aunt and uncle that lived in Malden, and I used to ask my parents why we couldn't live in the country too! LOL! My uncle had a yard that was probably around 10x15 feet or so, but it had grass AND A TREE! LOL! So that seemed like the country to me back then! :D

When my wife and I were living in Florida, the things I missed the most were pizza and chinese food. Couldn't get a decent pizza down there to save my life, and the style of chinese that's popular in Florida is much different than what I was used to up here. For example, the chinese food in Florida, their lobster sauce is a white/clear sauce that I thought was gross, instead of the brown ground beef based lobster sauce we have up here.

On the pizza front, I don't know if you remember Circle Pizza on Hanover St, that became a 1-800-flowers shop back in the 80's I think, but a new place opened there last summer called Bencotto and it's another pizza place.... BUT, they also sell the "Classic Circle Pizza" which tastes exactly how I remember Circle's pizza tasting (we were a Circle Pizza family before they closed and we started having Regina's regularly, which I also love! LOL!) I'm not really sure which place on Salem had the white pizza as I was never really a fan of white pizzas (but my wife loves them!) So on Salem St., I used to go to Anna Manne's bakery (before they moved to Revere) for their sicilian bakery pizza (the thick crust square pizza like you get at Umberto's or Parziale's), but I know Pushcart and Ernesto's have both been down that end for a long, long time now, so maybe it was one of them that had the white pizza?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, what do they do about women's purses? Make you dump them out? Do they also do a cavity search?

I think if I lived in that city, I'd just stop going there.

Andria

GeorgeT93

Member For 1 Year
Every place I've gone that have security checkpoints in order to enter, do require anyone with any kind of bag to open the bag up for inspection by security before they let that person in. When we go out like that, my wife tries to take everything she needs in her pockets so she doesn't have to carry a bag just so we can go through the 'no bags' checkpoint, as those lines tend to move much, much faster.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
At the garden, they ask you to hold anything from your pockets over your head when you walk through the metal detector, so I just had it in my hands with my wallet, keys and phone. The security person told me that vapes and ecigs weren't allowed, but that I could ask a supervisor if they would give me an exception. The supervisor said no way, so since I know a few people that work there, I was able to get in touch with one of them who came down to the security checkpoint and took my vape for me, and I just met up with them after the game. Then I was able to pass through security to go watch the game. It just boggles my mind because if I had been carrying cigarettes and a lighter, there wouldn't have been a problem. In any case, I just wanted to pass my experience along because I'd hate to hear that someone had to surrender their vape at a stadium, only to never see it again.
Might have more to do with the batteries. Terrorists get pretty creative.

VU Sponsors