Become a Patron!

Heartburn caused by vaping?

MeanDean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whatsup! Just curious if anyone else has had heartburn caused by vaping. Have not had problems until recently with a vanilla ice cream flavor i made. I am not 100% sure its vaping causing it but definately curious for feedback from other members. 6 mg vanilla ice cream flavoring at 13% with maybe 1 % sweetener. Yea its high percentages but it tastes delicious lol. Anyhow its a 70 vg 30 pg mix. And nicotine is nic select brand. And liquid barn made this particular flavor. Although i usually used loranns. I know some flavors contain diacetyl and possibly curious it may need to steep longer if that might be whats causing it. Anyways. Any feedback concerning the heart burn would be great!

MeanDean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh i use a sub ohm tank at sixtuplet coil at .44 ohms. Made by smok. And typically vape at about 70 watts.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whatsup! Just curious if anyone else has had heartburn caused by vaping. Have not had problems until recently with a vanilla ice cream flavor i made. I am not 100% sure its vaping causing it but definately curious for feedback from other members. 6 mg vanilla ice cream flavoring at 13% with maybe 1 % sweetener. Yea its high percentages but it tastes delicious lol. Anyhow its a 70 vg 30 pg mix. And nicotine is nic select brand. And liquid barn made this particular flavor. Although i usually used loranns. I know some flavors contain diacetyl and possibly curious it may need to steep longer if that might be whats causing it. Anyways. Any feedback concerning the heart burn would be great!

O yeah..

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So i guess you have? Lol

Yup, just recently
I don't DIY! I purchased these juices from this vendor ok, the flavor profiles are coconut, pear and melon, pear, coconut....never again from this vendor..
Alcohol, spicy food can cause heart burn too

MeanDean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup, just recently
I don't DIY! I purchased these juices from this vendor ok, the flavor profiles are coconut, pear and melon, pear, coconut....never again from this vendor..

Its possible that the daicetyl in the flavoring is causing it. But ive read some places that nicotine could be the cause although i wouldnt think a 6 mg in a sub ohm would do it. Considering when i smoked i was at about 2 packs a day. I vape fairly frequently but still seems weird that could be the cause. Diacetyl is a form of alcohol so maybe thats it. Gonna try to steep longer to burn off alchohol or lower nic but if anyones already experienced and fixed it thatd be great.

MeanDean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont drink though anymore and havent had much spicy food lately so its been boiled down to vaping or this new medicine im having to take. Damn docs wont take my word for shit and just gimme what they think i need lol.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its possible that the daicetyl in the flavoring is causing it. But ive read some places that nicotine could be the cause although i wouldnt think a 6 mg in a sub ohm would do it. Considering when i smoked i was at about 2 packs a day. I vape fairly frequently but still seems weird that could be the cause. Diacetyl is a form of alcohol so maybe thats it. Gonna try to steep longer to burn off alchohol or lower nic but if anyones already experienced and fixed it thatd be great.

Oh really?! I emailed the vendor about the creation date, NO REPLY!! Fucking assholes..
But anyhow, I don't have the heart burn shit with my other juices only those 2....

MeanDean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol ill change some things and if i figure something out ill post back. Hopefully its just a steeping issue and my nic aint to strong. Ill let ya know either way what i can figure out.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to have quite a bit of heartburn prior to the switch. Headaches too. Both went away when I started vaping. Guess it can affect us all differently.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had heartburn before I started vaping so I can't say it caused it, but I can say it aggravates it.
Still a small price to pay for the other health benefits.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, I've been there.

I've had acid reflux for years and years before vaping, I've previously been on OTC omeaprozole daily for a while. I'm a year off that regiment, give or take. Just some background for you, because I believe that the heartburn I was getting while vaping was different than my good ol' know-it-inside-and-out reflux that I've become accustomed to. Kind of. This is all anecdotal, take everything I'm saying here with a grain of salt, I'm the furthest thing from a doc.

Another note, something that may or may not play into it: I dipped for about 3 years when I was in the service. I also learned from the get-go to gut my juice. (yeah, I know, I know) After a few years, it probably lead to that acid reflux I was talking about, which didn't go away after I quit dipping. I maintained it while smoking with the meds, and made the switch a couple years later.

At first I figured it was because I was dual-using - both vaping and smoking. This was going through my daily med. So I cut the smokes totally, upped my nicotine level, and it went away.

When it came back after a few months, I lowered my nic level again, and it went away again.

Rinse and repeat until a few months ago, when I had to step back up to a reasonable nicotine level to steer clear of the stinkies. It's been about a month or so now back on much higher nic levels and I haven't gotten the "hot burps" yet, so... maybe the nic level has something to do with it, maybe it doesn't. Maybe in a month, or a week, or tomorrow it'll come back - I don't know. I know that I'm not taking my OTC for it, haven't in a long, long time, and I've stepped back up in nicotine without getting it again.

But in the past, whenever it would flair up, I would step down my nic level and it would go away. In my head, it was because I was getting nicotine into my stomach - vape clings to mouth, drink coffee, water, whatever - nic gets into stomach. From the years of gutting my dip spit, I think my once-iron-clad stomach is a little bit of a dainty snowflake when it comes to nicotine. Maybe I've moved beyond it, who knows.

Alls I know is what happened to me, how I took care of it, and what may have lead to it even being an issue in the first place.

Best of luck.

edit - clearing it up a smidge.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A great post burley, and it most def applies (nic and heartburn) my other half chewed the nicorette for quite some time (he was addicted to the gum) trying to quit smoking. After a while he began to have horrible heartburn, so on his next visit to the doctors he asked about it and was told he had others come in talking about it with one thing in common, the nic gum. The juices of the gum get swallowed and sit in the stomach for however long and that irritates the stomach lining the doctor said. causing it (heartburn) Some can be more sensitive to it than others. He stopped using the gum and the heartburn went away.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, just recently

I have GERD so take special meds that stops it. tums, rolaids, do nothing at all for me. haven't had a heartburn issue while vaping doe so... good luck OP

Stuff for sale...Inquire within.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have GERD so take special meds that stops it. tums, rolaids, do nothing at all for me. haven't had a heartburn issue while vaping doe so... good luck OP

GERD a chronic disease bro, heartburn is a temporary sensation that goes away after taking OTC meds...
If the heart burn doesn't go away with OTC meds, and if the heartburn is caused by acid reflux that's when you have to see ur PCP...
in my case the ACIDic part of the juice I was VAPING was too much...
I contacted the vendor and got a silent treatment...
Never again with that fucking vendor!! Flushed 240ml of coconut pear and melon pear!!
It's been 2 weeks now without any symptoms...
YES I BLAME THE JUICE!!
And Fuck that vendor!

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GERD a chronic disease bro, heartburn is a temporary sensation that goes away after taking OTC meds...
If the heart burn doesn't go away with OTC meds, and if the heartburn is caused by acid reflux that's when you have to see ur PCP...
in my case the ACIDic part of the juice I was VAPING was too much...
I contacted the vendor and got a silent treatment...
Never again with that fucking vendor!! Flushed 240ml of coconut pear and melon pear!!
It's been 2 weeks now without any symptoms...
YES I BLAME THE JUICE!!
And Fuck that vendor!

sell it to me!

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Funny I came across this thread, I had some bad acid reflux last night which kept me up most of the night. The taste in my mouth was horrible, like tasting vomit that I could not get rid of. This prevented me from going to work today, just too dam out of it this morning. Feeling much better today but lets see what tonight brings when going to bed.

Now I can not blame vaping since I have been doing it for about 8 years, and never had a real bad episode like this before. Usally when I get it, it is from over eating rich food, alcohol, and deserts like during the festive holidays, and with chewing a Pepcid AC usually does the trick of relief.

2826425.jpg

MeanDean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well i lowered my nic and it seems to not be as much heartburn. still not sure it was the juice but it may have been the sweetener in it. i realized a mistake i made in that batch..... if it was nicotine though then that stomach topic makes sense. cause i inadvertently swallow the vapor sometimes on accident and come to think of it that does seem to be when i get it frequently. If i can burp up a cloud then usually heartburn is near lol.... possibley some meds i was taking probably contributed as well. so for now its getting better but not gone. gonna lower nic in next batch again and also change up sweetener. quit taking those meds already cause it caused other issues i didnt like anyway. Damn doc giving me shit with worse side effects then the problem i was taking it for. ... anyhow ill keep trying things out till i figure it out. cant be food cause it started before the holidays and i havent eaten anything that should cause it. unless its meat and well.... ill just have to have the burn then cause i cant stop eating them steaks and burgers.

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had acid reflux for several years & haven't pinned down what all the foods are that cause it (it seems totally random sometimes). But I will say that I've noticed there are times when I haven't eaten, just vaped, & had random heartburn. Not sure which flavors yet, haven't paid that much attention. But I do know there have been times when I had heartburn & the only thing I'd done was vape & drink water. And I'm pretty sure water doesn't cause heartburn. LOL Could definitely be a specific brand too, not necessarily a certain flavor. So I'd pay attention to which brand AND flavor you noticed it with. That's what I need to do.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hey you sure it's not your wife's cooking? But Don't tell her if so!
heartburn-key-lime-pie.jpg

Rconrad

Member For 3 Years
Ive been vaping a recipe with .25 ginger and its really fucked with my stomach. Indigestion. Burping up food. No more ginger for me. Nothing else has affected me this way.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a bad case of GERD, and nic juices make it much, MUCH worse.

It's not vaping that causes heartburn, it's the nicotine - in exactly the same way nicotine from tobocco causes heartburn too: you smoke or your vape, nicotine gets in your mouth, you swallow, and down the pipe it goes. In fact, my doc told me the reason I have GERD in the first place is probably because I smoked for 25 years.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel for vapers: if you vape with good atomizers that "render" nicotine well, you need less of it to get a buzz, and you can use juices with lower nic content. Better: the longer you vape, the less you need nicotine over time.

Case in point, when I started vaping with crappy CE4s, I used to use 36 mg juice and it was hell on my stomach. The first time I got a nice dripper, I could drop to 12 mg. Now I've dropped to 3 mg just because my body really can't stand nicotine no more - and I think I'm just about ready to switch to no-nic. Now at 3 mg, my GERD isn't made much worse by my vaping anymore.

On a side note, the second light at the end of the tunnel - at least for me and a few lucky select individuals in my country - is that I'm about to receive experimental surgery for my GERD that should cure it once and for all. No more PPIs. No more careful diets. I'm so thrilled about this!

Rconrad

Member For 3 Years
I have a bad case of GERD, and nic juices make it much, MUCH worse.

It's not vaping that causes heartburn, it's the nicotine - in exactly the same way nicotine from tobocco causes heartburn too: you smoke or your vape, nicotine gets in your mouth, you swallow, and down the pipe it goes. In fact, my doc told me the reason I have GERD in the first place is probably because I smoked for 25 years.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel for vapers: if you vape with good atomizers that "render" nicotine well, you need less of it to get a buzz, and you can use juices with lower nic content. Better: the longer you vape, the less you need nicotine over time.

Case in point, when I started vaping with crappy CE4s, I used to use 36 mg juice and it was hell on my stomach. The first time I got a nice dripper, I could drop to 12 mg. Now I've dropped to 3 mg just because my body really can't stand nicotine no more - and I think I'm just about ready to switch to no-nic. Now at 3 mg, my GERD isn't made much worse by my vaping anymore.

On a side note, the second light at the end of the tunnel - at least for me and a few lucky select individuals in my country - is that I'm about to receive experimental surgery for my GERD that should cure it once and for all. No more PPIs. No more careful diets. I'm so thrilled about this!

Thats simply not true in my case because its only in a specific mix that contains ginger that messes with my digestive system. If it only happns with a certain recipe then you can be sure its an ingredient from that recipe. Ive vaped hundreds of recipes with nicotine and only one-with ginger-messed with my stomach.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Funny I came across this thread, I had some bad acid reflux last night which kept me up most of the night. The taste in my mouth was horrible, like tasting vomit that I could not get rid of. This prevented me from going to work today, just too dam out of it this morning. Feeling much better today but lets see what tonight brings when going to bed.

Now I can not blame vaping since I have been doing it for about 8 years, and never had a real bad episode like this before. Usally when I get it, it is from over eating rich food, alcohol, and deserts like during the festive holidays, and with chewing a Pepcid AC usually does the trick of relief.

View attachment 67953
If you still have your gallbladder go get it checked if not then you need something to help digest the fats a bit.
That puke flavoring without the burn is bile reflux not acid.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats simply not true in my case because its only in a specific mix that contains ginger that messes with my digestive system. If it only happns with a certain recipe then you can be sure its an ingredient from that recipe. Ive vaped hundreds of recipes with nicotine and only one-with ginger-messed with my stomach.

In your case, possibly. But nicotine is a known cause of lower oesophageal sphincter weakening and irritant of the oesophagus. If you can't feel it hurt you now, you will later, given enough time. It's just that you just don't have full blow GERD yet, probably - or at all.

VU Sponsors