Become a Patron!

Hello all you Mad vapers:)).

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm Stephanie and have been vaping for about a year now. I got into it because I needed surgery on my knee and at the Veterans hospital they will not perform surgery if you smoke. I started with a long slim e-cig then graduated to a box mod and have been vaping 0 nic for about 6 months now. I am currently using a VGOD box md pro 150 with a super tank mini 25mm. I have always been afraid of building but now that I am more informed on the subject I decided to give it a go.

My troll Rta should be arriving Monday and I need some tips about wicking and which prebuilt coils last a good amount of time. I realize that there are many factors that go into how long a coil will last but are there any generally that last longer? I'm not building to get lower ohm's. I'm doing it to save money and the tinkering relaxes me.

Thanks so much...

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. Ditto what Huck said, check out the builders section. Coils in an RTA/RDA will last a long time because you burn off the coil to clean it and change out the wick. My Serpent SMM has the same coil since July 8 and my Limited Plus even longer.
I like Stainless Steel wire from here; https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/ because I can use it in both power mode and TC, but there are a lot of different kinds of wire. Kanthal A1 is the most popular.

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the VU. Ditto what Huck said, check out the builders section. Coils in an RTA/RDA will last a long time because you burn off the coil to clean it and change out the wick. My Serpent SMM has the same coil since July 8 and my Limited Plus even longer.
I like Stainless Steel wire from here; https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/ because I can use it in both power mode and TC, but there are a lot of different kinds of wire. Kanthal A1 is the most popular.

I should have been more specific. I plan on starting slow and using prebuilt coils and then learn how to wick properly. I guess the only thing I am not doing is wrapping the coil. Could you suggest a good prebuilt to start with?
Hi Stephanie and welcome to V/U, nice to meet you.

Hello Jimi:)). Thank you very much!! A pleasure to meet you as well...See you around

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I should have been more specific. I plan on starting slow and using prebuilt coils and then learn how to wick properly. I guess the only thing I am not doing is wrapping the coil. Could you suggest a good prebuilt to start with?

Hello Jimi:)). Thank you very much!! A pleasure to meet you as well...See you around
To make wrapping coils easy get a coil master it makes great coils and is cheap to buy

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU. I've been using Advanced Vape Supply, AVS, prebuilt coils and wire for about a year and am a very satisfied customer. If you message them on website they will help you choose a sample pack. Customer service is fantastic. I generally use 2 and 3 core fused clapton coils.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Advance Vape Supply and get a simple Clapton or even simpler https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...-coils/products/10pk-regular-coils-316l-ss-ti I like 24G in simple coils and 26/30 in Claptons.
I should mention that gauges read backwards a 24G wire is thicker than a 28G

EDIT; I recommend getting a 3mm core. that's the inner diameter of the coil.

Last edited:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome. Prebuilt coils are nice and very convenient. I use them quite a bit. My favorites are from Coilology and I'll try AVS next time I need to order but it's hard to beat a coil that you've wound yourself. I've recently begun winding parallel coils and the vape is freaking amazing. Good luck.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU. I've been using Advanced Vape Supply, AVS, prebuilt coils and wire for about a year and am a very satisfied customer. If you message them on website they will help you choose a sample pack. Customer service is fantastic. I generally use 2 and 3 core fused clapton coils.
I ordered an received very quick, quicker than places in UK & was sent overseas & they perform great so thanks!

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Advance Vape Supply and get a simple Clapton or even simpler https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...-coils/products/10pk-regular-coils-316l-ss-ti I like 24G in simple coils and 26/30 in Claptons.
I should mention that gauges read backwards a 24G wire is thicker than a 28G

EDIT; I recommend getting a 3mm core. that's the inner diameter of the coil.

You're a wealth of info, thank you:). if I get a 3mm core will that affect the peak insulator that is located in between my two coils? Ya a weird place to put it...Should I get something smaller in diameter?

Last edited:

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome. Prebuilt coils are nice and very convenient. I use them quite a bit. My favorites are from Coilology and I'll try AVS next time I need to order but it's hard to beat a coil that you've wound yourself. I've recently begun winding parallel coils and the vape is freaking amazing. Good luck.

Thanks!! I'm sure after I get the hang of wicking I will want to get creative with my coils:))

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Cool, thank you!!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You're a wealth of info, thank you:). if I get a 3mm core will that affect the peak insulator that is located in between my two coils? Ya a weird place to put it...Should I get something smaller in diameter?
I don't have the Troll but 3mm and 2.5 mm are the common sizes for the ID that most folks use. I like 3mm because you can get a bit more wick in it. 3mm should work but hopefully someone who has one will chime in with more info. I get them to fit in the Baby Beast build deck and that's fairly small. I'd also suggest checking you-tube that's a popular RDA and I'm sure you can find build tutorials that will be a big help. You can check some of these out. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=troll+rda+build

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have the Troll but 3mm and 2.5 mm are the common sizes for the ID that most folks use. I like 3mm because you can get a bit more wick in it. 3mm should work but hopefully someone who has one will chime in with more info. I get them to fit in the Baby Beast build deck and that's fairly small. I'd also suggest checking you-tube that's a popular RDA and I'm sure you can find build tutorials that will be a big help. You can check some of these out. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=troll+rda+build

I believe all the videos I have watched this far were using claptons except for one guy. Hopefully one of these videos will tell me how far the coil has to be from the peak insulator. I haven't ran across that yet and it's difficult to eyeball on the screen.
Thanks again

I just googled it and 3mm is good:))

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I believe all the videos I have watched this far were using claptons except for one guy. Hopefully one of these videos will tell me how far the coil has to be from the peak insulator. I haven't ran across that yet and it's difficult to eyeball on the screen.
Thanks again
As close as you can get it with out touching anything, try to space it so you have a bit of room between the posts and the cover. Unless your running some monster build at high wattage you won't melt it, it,s a high temp plastic. My first few builds were frustrating and sometimes crappy but after a few tries I got something I liked and repeated it each time. It gets real easy after a while. I avoided building for the longest time out of fear of the unknown. Now I just grab a 1/8in screwdriver wrap some wire around it and stick it in the posts.

Here's a good site for figuring out wraps and resistance but there is a learning curve. http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp Just take your time and hope for but don't expect perfection the first time out and you'll be ok. I'm going away for awhile but keep asking questions, there are loads of helpful people here.

Here's an example; SS316L, 24 Gauge 3mm core 6 wraps gives me 2.4Ω but that,s for a single coil single wire build with Clapton 26/30 the same thing gives 5.1Ω and in a dual coil build that works out to 2.5Ω total. With dual coils the total resistance is 1/2 of what each coil is. If you get single wire coils 26G is 6.5 wraps for 0.5Ω witch is perfect for dual coils at 0.25Ω. I don't want to get to confusing and inundate you with too much info so I'm going to stop now....Good Luck and welcome to a new hobby.

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As close as you can get it with out touching anything, try to space it so you have a bit of room between the posts and the cover. Unless your running some monster build at high wattage you won't melt it, it,s a high temp plastic. My first few builds were frustrating and sometimes crappy but after a few tries I got something I liked and repeated it each time. It gets real easy after a while. I avoided building for the longest time out of fear of the unknown. Now I just grab a 1/8in screwdriver wrap some wire around it and stick it in the posts.

Here's a good site for figuring out wraps and resistance but there is a learning curve. http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp Just take your time and hope for but don't expect perfection the first time out and you'll be ok. I'm going away for awhile but keep asking questions, there are loads of helpful people here.

Here's an example; SS316L, 24 Gauge 3mm core 6 wraps gives me 2.4Ω but that,s for a single coil single wire build with Clapton 26/30 the same thing gives 5.1Ω and in a dual coil build that works out to 2.5Ω total. With dual coils the total resistance is 1/2 of what each coil is. If you get single wire coils 26G is 6.5 wraps for 0.5Ω witch is perfect for dual coils at 0.25Ω. I don't want to get to confusing and inundate you with too much info so I'm going to stop now....Good Luck and welcome to a new hobby.

Haha I don't see me with monster builds for a while:)). Have a good evening...

jazzman

"I'm Old, Fat and Ugly with a crappy attitude!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the Underground!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
UPDATE

Thanks to all of you I am now sitting here vaping on my very first build!!! I think I may have a bit too much cotton in it but it is working well:))). I can't thank you all enough for your help

Awesome. Which coil did you go with?

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome. Which coil did you go with?

The only coils they had at the vape shop were 26 gauge 2mm and I believe a six wrap at o.8. The troll rta I bough did not come with any coils. Weird!! Have a nice day and thank you:))

Spartin718

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nothing like the sweet vape of success.:vino:

Ahhhhhh yes!!! But it only lasted an hour and then I got a burnt hit. It continued to go back and fourth between great hits and burnt ones. I may have used too much cotton? My local vape shop gives classes every Sunday so guess where I will be today:)). At least I did have some success and got past my fear of building. So a great day all in all yesterday. Thanks to all of you

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome to VU :)

VU Sponsors