Become a Patron!

Hello fellow vapers. I need a new "boat friendly" mod. Please offer suggestions.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's that time of year again. Boating season! Yeah!!!

I could use a little help. The vaping industry moves quickly and I haven't been paying attention. I'm super busy these days, and I really don't have the time to do proper research. I don't know anything about the newer companies or their mods. I don't know which ones are junk and which ones are good.

It's also the time for me to purchase 2 new mods. For almost 2 years, I have been running an i-Sub G tank on an Innokin MVP 3.0 and an Innokin Coolfire IV TC100. Of the two, the Coolfire was the "boating" mod as it came with a nice silicon sleeve that prevented scratches on the surfaces of the boat as well as preventing it from siding around while the boat is in motion. The sleeve really makes the difference when I'm driving the boat with my vape sitting on the console as it stays put pretty well. The MVP has to ride in my pocket.

It became difficult to find iSub coils, so I just purchased a new SMOK TFV12 Baby Prince tank. The coils for this tank like 40-70W, and I'm pretty satisfied with the vapor at right around 40W. I'm a "quit smoking" vaper, not a hobbyist so any mod capable of hitting 80W should be sufficient for me. I need a backup tank, so suggestions for one of those would be cool as well. The only requirement is that I need tanks that use readily available (as in a lot of vape shops carry them) coils.

So... I'm looking for 2 integrated battery regulated wattage mods. "Boat friendly" means having a "soft" or rubberized body (or case/sleeve). If it has sealed buttons that would keep any water that might splash on it out, that would be nice, but my boat is a dry ride, so it really won't be getting wet. Any water cones from me cleaning the boat with a hose or people horsing around in the water causing splashes. I am not expecting a completely "waterproof" mod. I would just appreciate any tips on mods available with "water resistant" features. I'm a dude. My mod will get a decent amount of abuse. I work on cars and boats, and I build furniture in my basement as a hobby. It will see dirt, dust, and grime on a regular basis. Too bad there isn't a "toxic masculine" mod. That would be the one.

Thanks!!!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Geekvape Aegis springs to mind ...it withstood a bunch of punishment and still carried on regardless it’s both Waterproof and shockproof

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Geekvape Aegis springs to mind ...it withstood a bunch of punishment and still carried on regardless it’s both Waterproof and shockproof
That mod looks pretty good. It should be called "Toxic Masculinity". LOL. Good suggestion that I will consider. I was trying to avoid using rechargeable batteries, though. I'm not sure I want to deal with that. On the boat at anchor, I only have DC available. I can charge mods with internal batteries on the hook using a cigarette lighter charger cord, or one of the USB charging ports that I installed. I'll have to look into the availability of DC chargers for the batteries.

Added to the list, for sure, thank you. I wish they had a white / blue variant to match my boat.

Edit: After reading a little more, it appears that the Aegis has a USB port for charging (am I reading that correctly, or is the USB just for FW upgrades?). If that is the case, I might just go ahead and get one. However... It looks too darn big for using when I am in dress clothes. How can you hide that wearing a properly fitted suit? I guess I need to add a secondary request for a "night out" mod to use when I need to travel with something smaller. I was planning on finding something along the size of the old iTaste TC40 I used to have. It died when I accidentally left it in the pocket of a pair of jeans and washed it. Too bad that wasn't an Aegis... It would have lived. Secondary question. The tank that Geekvape puts in the "Aegis Legend Kit" is called the "Aero Mesh" tank and it looks suspiciously 'similar' to the new Baby Prince tank that I just purchased. It even says that it uses "Baby coils". Is the "Aero Mesh" tank really just a rebranded Baby Prince tank? Looks like it.

Last edited:

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nope the Aegis usb port is for FW updates only. I've got one I use as a "daily driver". I'm a mechanic so my work a day mod needs to be pretty stout. Anyway, the only way they could meet the water proof standard that Geekvape wanted to achieve was to seal the port with a silicone seal under a small, plate fastened down with small torx screws. Makes getting at the port a very slow process. So they decided to forego usb charging. That's the only real down side to the mod, no usb charging in a pinch. Personally I just carry a spare battery just in case. Good mod though.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope the Aegis usb port is for FW updates only. I've got one I use as a "daily driver". I'm a mechanic so my work a day mod needs to be pretty stout. Anyway, the only way they could meet the water proof standard that Geekvape wanted to achieve was to seal the port with a silicone seal under a small, plate fastened down with small torx screws. Makes getting at the port a very slow process. So they decided to forego usb charging. That's the only real down side to the mod, no usb charging in a pinch. Personally I just carry a spare battery just in case. Good mod though.
Thank you for the info. Are you using the original version or the new "Legend" two battery version? The graphic on the Geekvape Legend Kit description says "USB port for charging & firmware update".

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suggest a tube mech..... no circuitry to get wet....

Mine have gone swimming a few times. .. wipe off the water... change battery if it got wet. Rewick.. and Vape on.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just a footnote even though I own one I will never do this to it~!

upload_2018-4-29_16-28-50.jpeg

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the info. Are you using the original version or the new "Legend" two battery version? The graphic on the Geekvape Legend Kit description says "USB port for charging & firmware update".
I'm using the original Aegis. You are correct, the new Legend does have usb charge capability. However, I'm sure it wouldn't be quite as water proof as the original Aegis. Still water proof, just not to the same depth standard. Either one would be a good choice for your needs I'm sure. Well, actually in Geekvape's words the Legend is "water resistant", not water proof. Two different standards there for sure.

Last edited:

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. There are more choices than I thought. Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming! So far, none with integrated batteries, though. I'm a big fan of those.

At this point I'm leaning towards the new Aegis Legend. The Boxer mod looks nice, but now I'm looking at yet another type of battery. The Legend uses the 18650s, so I'm thinking if I go that route I'd prefer that the second mod use the same batteries.

My primary concern is wet hands, and splashes from swimmers while it is sitting on the swim platform on the back of the boat. I've been boating for 20 years, and I haven't fallen overboard or off of a dock yet. I sure hope it stays that way, lol. :cool:

VU Sponsors