Hello From Maryland

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hello all,
I'm Shawn and I'm from Southern Maryland. I've been in the I.T. field for the last 10 years but into computers since the Commodore 64 and the Apple II series and I was an automotive and small engine mechanic before that for over 20 years. As a kid, I grew up around my uncle who is a mechanic, guitar player, electronics tech. and all around jack of all trades. So I decided to follow in his footsteps and I got into everything he was into. I'm the type of person who likes to dive head first into any cool hobby or interesting trade.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, I started vaping about a month and a half ago after smoking Marlboro Red's for the past 30 years. Since I have started vaping, I went from smoking a pack and a half of ciggs to maybe 4 a day and am continuing to ween myself completely off of them. (It's a proccess for me but I will quit smoking!)
I had quit a few times over the years but I always went back for some reason or another. (Insert Excuse here lol) And I tried those Blu "Cigalikes" and it just leaked e-juice everywhere. So I tried a generic gas station brand cigalike and it was horrible! So again, I went back to the ciggs and I swore off vaping after that. I had a friend who vaped the early Ego style pens and he tried to convince me to give vaping another try but I refused. Then a few months ago, I saw someone vaping on this really interesting looking device and the vapor smelled like donuts (Turned out to be an Eleaf iStick Pico) so I asked him about it and he explained what it was, how it worked and he told me about all the different types of e-juice, including the Loaded Glazed Donut e-juice he was vaping. So I decided to give vaping another try. I called around to a few local vape shops and the first shop wanted to sell me a mech mod as a "Starter Kit"! The next shop acted like I was a bother if I wasn't spending more than $200.00! So there again, I got discouraged. But I was sick of spending $14.00 a day for ciggs. So a few days later, I called the next local shop and they said they had no problems working with my initial budget of $40.00. I went in and not only were they super cool, but they treated my like family and they set me up with a Kanger Subvod Mega TC for $31.00 out the door including a free 6mg nic 30ml bottle of their house juice! I coughed and hacked for the first day or two, but I got the hang of it and now I'm hooked on this awesome life saving hobby! A week later, I went back and upgraded to an iStick 200w along with a free Buddha Zephyr RDA that was given to me by one of the shop employees. Which started me on my coil building journey that same week. Fast forward to today, and I've already built my first mod. A single 18650 with a mosfet for switch protection. It works great and was a lot of fun to build. I also have in my vape collection, a new Wismec Theorem, a Kanger RBA for my TopTank Mini (both were given to me by the awesome employees at my local vape shop) And I have a new Limitless RDTA Classic and one of the new Coil-Master V3 tool kits.

Since I started vaping, I feel a million times better, I have a ton of energy, I can taste things much better and my house now smells like a bakery / ice cream parlor instead of an old ash tray! And I'm down from 6mg nic to 3.

I had lurked around the forum for a while and so I decided to become a member and share this hobby with my fellow vaper's.

Cheers and happy vaping,

Shawn

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Here are some pics of the mod that I built out of a novelty candy tin.

Shawn

Attachments

• tmp_15451-20161231_154158-1875089146.jpg
    tmp_15451-20161231_154158-1875089146.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 5
  • tmp_15451-20170104_1549321488273647.jpg
    tmp_15451-20170104_1549321488273647.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 5
  • tmp_15451-20170104_155004-1007358011.jpg
    tmp_15451-20170104_155004-1007358011.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 5
  • tmp_15451-20170106_20373521430453.jpg
    tmp_15451-20170106_20373521430453.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 5
  • tmp_15451-20170106_203642-1597804581.jpg
    tmp_15451-20170106_203642-1597804581.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 5
  • tmp_15451-20170104_161303617223039.jpg
    tmp_15451-20170104_161303617223039.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 5

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Good morning Shawn and welcome

Thanks for sharing your story. It took me two and half years to completely stop smoking, so you are doing good :)
Thanks for the welcome and kind words.
Glad to hear that you were able to completely quit smoking. :)

Shawn

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Here are some pics of the mod that I built out of a novelty candy tin.

Shawn

Nice if you can make that mate you might want to check out the Squonking section! In fact I believe we have a resident squonker on this thread @JuicyLucy ! Must admit would like to give it a crack myself don't know where to start though hehe

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Nice if you can make that mate you might want to check out the Squonking section! In fact I believe we have a resident squonker on this thread @JuicyLucy ! Must admit would like to give it a crack myself don't know where to start though hehe

I lucked out: my first real mod was a squonker so I've been at it since it was an expensive, elitist, tiny subcategory of vaping, lol

It's busted wide open since Kanger put out the Dripbox last year and now you can get it on the cheap. I'm all for it :banana:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. Other wise known as the rabbit hole. That's were the underground part comes in.LOL
Lots of helpful people and good info here. Enjoy your stay.

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Welcome to the VU. Other wise known as the rabbit hole. That's were the underground part comes in.LOL
Lots of helpful people and good info here. Enjoy your stay.
Thanks for the kind welcome. :)

Shawn

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

Thanks. I've been checking out some of the Squonk threads and there are a lot of very talent builders there as well as in the forum in general.
As far as not knowing where to start building goes, check out some of the build tutorials on YouTube, practice soldering on some scrap wire and then give it a shot. You may find a hidden talent. :)

Shawn

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
See Shawn fitting in already:) hehe

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks Vapin4joy and Whitesoxfan2579 for the kind welcome. :)

Shawn

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to VU Shawn! I can relate with you very much. I've been a network engineer for 15 years, and been in the IT industry for 20+.
BTW -- Bad ass looking home MOD there!

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Welcome to VU Shawn! I can relate with you very much. I've been a network engineer for 15 years, and been in the IT industry for 20+.
BTW -- Bad ass looking home MOD there!
Thanks Phantom for the kind welcome and compliment. :)
I've done my share of Network stuff. I remember thinking it was going to be a glamorous job until I had to multi floor commercial CAT5e cable drops in old buildings that had never been renovated for any new tech other than old RJ11 phone cable.

Shawn

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Phantom for the kind welcome and compliment. :)
I've done my share of Network stuff. I remember thinking it was going to be a glamorous job until I had to multi floor commercial CAT5e cable drops in old buildings that had never been renovated for any new tech other than old RJ11 phone cable.

Shawn
Our life -- now just need some smoke coming out of that mess --- um... vape... o_O

5804e40cc1bc7e01acc62d3447493f9f.jpg

VU Sponsors